Fragrance Reviews from October 2009

spasticpeach's avatar

Israel Israel

Harajuku Lovers - Lil' Angel by Gwen Stefani

Almost sickeningly sweet. Young sugary fruity lacking all forms of sophistication but I still like it when i want to step outside of my usual wardrobe. There is a reason it comes in such a small bottle, you will never use anything more. Marketed for girls but not at all priced for the little girls who would be wearing it.

11th October, 2009

Candy's avatar

Poule de Luxe - Vanilla Lemon Pie by Crazylibellule & The Poppies

I wanted to love this, since I'd never tried a solid perfume before and the scent and company that created it sounded adorable and fun, but it has zero longevity and just isn't strong enough for me. This one is a disappointment.

11th October, 2009

maltatude's avatar

Armani Privé Eau de Jade by Giorgio Armani

To me... after an hour or so... it smells just like L'eau Par Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo...

perfumegirl's avatar

TBA by Josie Natori

I had a sample of Natori and fell in love have so far ordered two bottles, it is an amazing fragrance, totally delightful and wonderful

Quarry's avatar

Brooklyn by Bond No. 9

I didn't care much for Brooklyn during a prior sniff, but darned if it is speaking to me today.

The grapefruit top note is just what I needed for a sluggish Monday morn--a bit of pleasant, bright smelling salts to open my eyes. An impetuous judgement (“masculine!”) sparked by the juniper note, is being pushed aside as I welcome the cardamom. I can enjoy this scent for a day. Not $-worthy, but Brooklyn deserves credit for working with my finicky skin and narrow preferences.

I can see where others might think this fairly pedestrian, but it's the kind of routine frag I hope the civilians (non-BNers) choose to wear.

pippedydee's avatar

Fleurs de Sel by Miller Harris

I get Tequila from this to begin with - it must be the salt connection in my mind! Then it dries down to salty driftwood, dried flowers and leather. Delicious and I love it.

I can totally see where the whisky connection comes from.

This reminds me of bleak Welsh beaches in Autumn.

scentsitivity's avatar

Wild Fern by Geo F Trumper

Quite similar to Penhaligon’s English Fern, but smoother and in my judgment easier to wear. A good option for those who would like to look at clean scents from a different perspective than the typical modern-feeling clean scents.

jenson's avatar

India India

Or Black by Pascal Morabito

smells like black leather thrown in to the black hole with handful of white florals thrown in. one cant help feel the suspended nature of the accords. whats more, it has a lovely drydown. A timeless chypre.

12 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 13 October, 2009)

SirSlarty's avatar

L'Eau Rare Matale 06 by Parfumerie Generale

Solid woodsy tea and lemon scent. Very nice pick me up in the morning. It's almost like drinking a fresh cup in the morning. But just like that breakfast tea, it doesn't last long and I for one don't like having to get "refills" of tea in fragrances.

sonoranwoman's avatar

Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Marc Jacobs Splash Lemon by Marc Jacobs

My first impression, Jean Nate-like. Not long lasting, nothing to write home about, particularly at its price. Most definitely a summer scent.

bbBD's avatar

Midnight Oud by Juliette Has a Gun

A very well done oud/rose scent, even if it's nothing particularly innovative. The balance between oud and rose - an accord found in many fragrances these days - is roughly the same as that found in Montale's Black Aoud. Specifically, the oud is the overwhelmingly prominent note with rose lurking underneath. Contrast this proportion to rose/ouds such as Aoud Damascus (Montale) or Aoud Rose (Micallef) which are roughly equal parts oud to rose. Unlike Black Aoud, Midnight Oud is more wearable because it doesn't have the extreme shock-value sillage. What's more, the drydown is sweeter then Black Aoud and the rose is more prominent in the mid/base. Perhaps this is because Midnight Oud does not have the patchouli found in the Montale, I'm not sure. If you have Black Aoud you won't need this, but if you're looking to add one rose/oud to the shelf give Midnight Oud a serious look. Personally the Micallef is my favorite version of rose/oud, but I would definitely take the Midnight Oud over Black Aoud in a minute. In case it wasn't already clear, this fragrance is as unisex as any other oud scent.

timaru's avatar

Germany Germany

Atelier d'Artiste by Nez à Nez

I tried this for the first time today so my opinion might change overtime but as of now its a neutral.

It starts off simply sweet but the raspberry kicks in quickly. It tookme a few moments to figure out the smell but then i got it - Raspberry sherbet. Pure and in a perfection that shocked me. I didnt get much of the booze, tobacco or vanilla, just the patchouli was playing a background role (thought of it as civet for a second, smelled somewhat urinalike but not unpleasantly) but for the most its just raspberry.
    I didnt get a huge development but rather some kind of fade out.
    Too overbearing to wear it myself but i would love to smell it on a woman.

funhuntr's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Moschino Friends Men by Moschino

A sad effort by Moschino...I so wanted to like it because of a friends' recommendation (it's the only scent he wears, which is pretty sad...but I thought if his nose doesn't wander amongst the tons of fragrance offerings it must be special) and because it's affordably-priced here in the PH.

Agree that it's citrus yes. I got that an hour or so after first spray. But the metallic note that won't go away was just so potent, I kept on hoping on my next sniff it could've evolved but no such luck. Like a steel bar hit me on the head and for some weird reason was stuck to my nose...with a slight peekaboo citrus-woods scent after a while, but still...As consolation I just thought it doesn't match my body chemistry. Test before buying.

missylee's avatar

Essence by Narciso Rodriguez

Does anyone get a fizzy orange drink smell - cracked warm from an aluminium can, immediately after spritzing.....?

Hmmmm... yes i'm sure that's what i smell for a brief few seconds.... call me, or my nose, weird!

It's very clean and powdery, soft scent - as mentioned above. And definately a Sunday choice. Quiet and relaxed.

A fine creation.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

This is quite a sour production, not really improved by the inclusion of some rather abrasive notes in the middle phase. The opening is fresh enough, but it feels two dimensional, and lacking in balance. The top of the pyramid is probably more suited to a fruit salad than a fragrance, but it could still have been developed better than this. It has little stamina, and it projects its rather dull production in a very feeble manner. Not in the least commendable.

Ruger357's avatar

Burberry for Men by Burberry

Smells like chemicals. Headache inducing!

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Tabacco Toscano by Santa Maria Novella

After the amazing tour of the pit stop with Nostalgia, I was half-expecting a similarly macho interpretation of the Toscano il sigaro (a brand of Italian cigars). Instead what I got was a subtle take on tobacco more reminiscent of an empty cigarette box. Dude, where's my tobacco? To me TOSCANO is a pleasant low sillage skin scent with a well blended base of amber, vanilla and malt lending a complementary touch of airy sweetness to the fleeting tobacco and presumably greater mass appeal. It's wearable even on sunny days. But fans of Tobacco Vanille and richer tobacco notes may find it as hollow as that empty cigarette box, marking this release as yet another triumph of marketing sensibilities over what could have been unadulterated artistry.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

For the first 15 minutes all I got was dried preserved prunes - the sort you'd find in Chinatown, sold in large packets with the prunes individually wrapped in paper. We call these preservatives 'buah kanna'. (Hey, maybe Tom Ford was eating some while sifting through dried tobacco leaves and somehow drew an inspiration!) Anyway fun facts aside, when the tobacco finally arrives, its presence is unmistakable. Loads of dry unlit tobacco leaves here, playing up an evocative note which probably reminds many of the men in their lives. This aspect of a scent normally wins my vote. However, considering the line's exclusivity and price point, I find TOBACCO VANILLE's linearity and simplicity too uninspiring that eating some buah kana seems to be the more satisfying option. Strictly for tobacco lovers.

SillageMonger's avatar

Everlast Original 1910 by Everlast

Everlast 1910 is one of the best 'value' buys I have made. This is available at very reasonable prices, however, it is not a "cheap" scent. I was very surprised to find a fragrance by Everlast to have such a heady, sophisticated scent. Ken_Russell hit it right on the mark. This is not some cheap, mass marketed oriental, but rather a well-designed oriental blended by perfumer Antoine Lie from Givaudan. While the top notes are initially a bit harsh, they mellow quickly into a very attractive heart. The heart notes are lovely and transition to an attractive, solid base. This potion lasts for a full 8+ hours on my skin. Oriental lovers ----- don't miss this one. Two thumbs up!!!

Jackisblack's avatar

BOD Man: Really Ripped Abs by Parfums de Coeur

smells like bug spray, and not in a good way :( i like ripped abs, but not this crap spray.

Jackisblack's avatar

King by Parfums de Coeur

Ok, let me start by saying...that I HATE drakkar noir with a passion...like really...This reminded me of drakkar noir, BUT...BUT it smells like what drakkar noir SHOULD have been. very soapy, intense citrus, cedar...these are the notes I get from it. They really should rename this draught of the living dead as this scent is so strong it could revive the dead. Longevity and Sillage are superb...about 10 hours of total longevity, 5-6 of which it projects well. Definitely not something I will buy because it is SO strong, but I could see myself wearing it when I'm middle aged definitely. If you like drakkar noir (not sure how anyone would lol) then you will like this and will find it much more cost efficient; about $10.00? Thumbs up for improving a so called "classic" and for being much cheaper. Oh, I also like the name and the bottle. Props.

3d24's avatar

Joop! Homme by Joop!

I like flowery and sweetu ferfumes but not a big fan of this guy.... it doesn't match up with my nose....

may be it's only me but when I wear it I feel very uncomfortable...... still it under test I might develop sense to enjoy this fragrance...

Aquamary's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Eau de Campagne by Sisley

Great green country field! BUT veeeeeeery short lasting!

nzambi's avatar

Apparition Homme Intense by Ungaro

For me, the longevity is short-lived, after three hours it's gone.

Balvon's avatar

Lithuania Lithuania

Vetiver by Guerlain

This is a beautiful scent. It opens like a slap in the face, and dries down a beautiful woody/grassy base. Lasts well. Perfect for any occasion or season, can't miss with this classic.

12 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 15 November, 2010)

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy

Gray autumn day scent, or evening scent in general. It has a certain dose of classiness in it. Indeed it is a bit sweet, yet not warm, I agree. Definitely a must have.

I have to say something more about this masterpiece. Yes, to me it is a masterpiece, unique scent that is hardly comparable to other designer scents. This one is extremely longlasting, we're talking 24 hrs here, and projection is great! This is fresh, sweet and cold. In summer evenings only one spritz on the chest and you're set, otherwise this is a great spring and autumn scent. There is certain casual elegance about this one that women (33+) and girls (18-27) will appreciate.

12 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 14 February, 2011)

iMaverick's avatar

Hombre de Flores Narcissus by Fresh

LOL! A men's scent that hides "a little something extra"! A venerable study in floral fragrances for men.

The notes seem "fruity-floral" but really it is narcissus tucked inconspicuously within a spicy, warm, and musky mens composition. For my tastes, I would've preferred the spiciness to be held back to give the narcissus a chance to bloom wider, but I was surprised at how much narcissus was used to give it a not-quite-there center of focus. The scent for the most part is almost all linear with the exception of added warmth on the drydown.

I have to appreciate the fact that Fresh is trying to educate the nose that florals can and should be used in mens fragrances and that it is rather idiotic to think that it would change someone's masculine virility if one was spritzed with an eau spiked with an exotic floral, though I couldn't help but imagine the funny notion of a black and white ad with a man with his hair greased down, groomed moustache, a 3-piece pinstripe suit and wingtips, and fishnet stockings peeking out under the hem of his pants. LMAO!

Hearty thumbs up for the Fresh's will to re-educate.

odysseusm's avatar

Envy for Men by Gucci

I have to put my cards on the table: I dislike amber, particularly of the sweet and cloying variety. I find that the amber in Gucci Envy for Men is of that kind. Thus, the scent can’t get my endorsement.
    But what can I say about it, apart from the amber issue? It has a soft cloud of spices, which is pleasant if a bit indefinite. The most I can detect is the occasional hint of sharp ginger. The myrrh (opoponax), patchouli and musk are sweet. The scent is smooth, and perhaps a bit innocuous. There is nothing to offend or challenge here, and many people like seem to like it.
    Then the dry-down ramps up the amber, and eventually I have to wash it off.

odysseusm's avatar

Orinoco by Scentsational of Huntington

Crisp, clean, green, herbaceous, slightly woody”
    This is quite sweet, not crisp at all. It does have a soapy-clean vibe. The green is youthful: it is like green apples, lily of the valley and fresh-cut grass. No herbs or wood to be seen here. This is a pretty scent, perky and innocent. I can imagine it on a cheery young woman but certainly not on me.

scentsitivity's avatar

Bois de Santal by Creed

I have now tried the three Creed offerings with ‘Santal’ as part of their name. Bois de Santal avoids the cloying sweetness of Original Santal. And it provides a greater potency than the weak Santal Imperial. What disappoints me here is a very clear civet note (which thankfully one other reviewer alludes to). For me this remains from application through much of the drydown. The civet does not enhance the experience for me; rather it mars the sandalwood. I find myself ambivalent to this one. On reflection, I think Creed’s Bois du Portugal is their best wood dominated offering.