Fragrance Reviews from October 2009

Scentologist's avatar

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

I cannot agree more with Foetidus. It is simply perfect and I love smelling it. There is not much else to say. No note analysis needed. It is readily available so I recommend that you go out and try it. See what you think.

Scentologist's avatar

Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

Tuscan Leather starts out warm with the raspberry. Because of this note, it is not a cold leather that I typically associate with an Italian leather. I prefer cold leathers. I do see the association with a car freshener but I think TL is a more refined fragrance that interplays between a cheap $2 whore and elegance. The fruit warms it up but a note is resembling the pencil shavings character borrow from Gucci Pour Homme. The leather is ever present in the background. This is now a powdery leather nor is it pungent. It is a linear fragrance that is well crafted and made of fine ingredients. As Trebor has mentioned, this would be a great leather for those who don't tolerate leather well. It has outstanding longevity and moderate sillage. As mentioned, the color "brown" comes to my mind as well. While I find it completely wearable and enjoyable, I give it a neutral rating simply based on the price of $260 for 3.4 oz. I don't think its worth it.

eRL00p's avatar

Fahrenheit Summer by Christian Dior

I wear this one year round. Its sharp citrus with pepper, pepper and more constant pepper. I like how it picks up in winter and still has power, even though it is a summer named fragrance. The motor oil note from the original Fahrenheit is gone, and leaves the bright fruity notes with pepper sprinkled across the board. Its a simple yet amazing fragrance.

jenson's avatar

India India

Premier Jour by Nina Ricci

i really like premier jour on my wife. so much so that i wouldnt mind wearing it myself. smells of refined pink rose with touch of vanilla, fruits and amber. smells elegant all the way to the drydown. and the best part? doesnt smell like fruit candy. i dont find anything in it thats repulsive. only elegance.

jenson's avatar

India India

Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentrée by Chanel

Chanel Pour Monsiuer Concentrate is probably one of the most underrated fragrance ever. it ozzes class and packs lotsa punch and variety in a chamaleon like quality. What appears to be a coriander based opening accords with a lush backdrop of citruses and green; soon morphs into a eerie white smoke derived from spices giving it a very powdery approach. the mid accords is gritty and refiend at the same time. It settles to a lovely base of clean & sweet vetiver with hints of opoponax (which would remind one faintly of Lagerfeld classic.) it's like this scent gets stronger with each passing hour. especially till it reaches basenotes. it's mid accords is one of finest eg. of what a fine perfume is supposed to do. which is? which is, it should be able to memerise it's wearer with it's sheer nature and it's element of surprise. it took me 15 wears to finally "understand" this fragrance. The trick was, i sprayed some 8-10 sprays. mostly on chest and arms.
    in other words, it's a spicy green scent which is tranparent yet, smoky with an incense like feel. powdery to the core in the most elegant way with hints of vetiver and the classic touch of opoponax. it doesnt smell anything like the original, except for it;s green character. this ones much more full bodied and direct and opposed ot the classic which is thinner and much more restrained.

Chaz by Revlon

I found an old bottle of this stuff in my friend's father's medicine cabinet. I asked the father if I could use it and was told, "sure take it, I can't wear cologne anymore. I don't even know how long that's been in there." So I took him on the offer. There was maybe only 5 or so mls left. It was still in the box and is definitely vintage stuff; most likely early 1980's era.

Chaz is (was?) a good cologne. Citrusy on top which lingers throught the fragrance's life and a warm but subtle oakmoss and patchouli base blossoms throughout the day. I'm really enjoying this. The juice itself is thick and a dark amber yellow. This doesn't always denote quality but more substance it seems and in this case it's just the way it is.

Do be sure to look for the Revlon stuff and not Jean Phillipe's Chaz.

Gucci pour Homme (original) by Gucci

I guess I'm not getting it like everyone else. I smell a plain eau de cologne / chypre family scent with a sandalwood drydown. No leather. No big and boldness. Just ordinary and "lemony" woods. I rather liked Nobile but the original pour Homme isn't quite my bag. I'll reach for Homme de Gres when I need a dry lemony woods fragrance.

Pulp by Byredo

So thick yet light it confused the hell out of me. Later on I found this to be a pleasnt blended mix of fruits, florals and green notes. I think the whole concept behind the fragrance from the name to the images it conveyed to me when smelled is well executed. The apple note in particular is open and delightful and is softened by a very light peach/pear like accord; probably the peach flower in the base (a floral base?). I find this refreshing, elegant and high quality. Byredo's fragrances are EdP's so I expected something lush and I got it. Bravo! Looking forward to seeking out more from this line.

Winter Woods by Sonoma Scent Studio

The website description of this fragrance is very accurate. It's a warming woody fragrance with oamoss and ambergris. Nice opening, very strong yet enjoyable especially for a relaxing evening at home. However, somewhere in the middle a very animalic tar note pops out and becomes somewhat unpleasant for me. This accord thankfully doesn't stay around for long and gives way to the fantastically sweet woody ambergris drydown.

I'd call this a fragrance for a specific mood. Wouldn't wear this daily for sure.

OlfactoryExperience's avatar

Nicole Miller for Men by Nicole Miller

It must have been the reissue that I sampled at Perfumania today. This stuff was anemic like none other I've ever smelt. And I don't think I really missed out on much anyway, because all I get from this is spiced apples and wood. It smelled like popsicle sticks after they'd been dipped in warm apple cider. I even tried it on skin! The apple note smells bright and aromatic like that of Burberry's (1995 release), but the scent really doesn't offer anything more than that. What abysmal longevity! What a waste of fluid! (Only criticizing the remake)

OlfactoryExperience's avatar

Roberto Cavalli Black by Roberto Cavalli

I would describe this scent as smelling similar to Armani Code in the beginning and finishing off very similar to Burberry Touch. The beginning is unique in its take on coriander and the bamboo gives off a flat, woody feel. I can't really make out much of the notes listed as the middle in the pyramid but I do get a noticeable dose of white pepper from the very start. This is spicy and modern with a dark feel to it but I can't quite say why. Anyway, the dry down is a simple tonka bean and vetiver. Though this smells like a combination of Armani Code and Touch, this fragrance doesn't really live up to the appeal of either of those scents. Its unique, but I would stick with the other two based on performance (better sillage, longevity, etc.). But don't take my word for it. Try it yourself...

moltening's avatar

Thailand Thailand

Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange

This is the second time I gave it a full wearing till the dry-down in hopes that something might just 'click'. Applied it about 15 hours a go and I am smelling like an oily fish lying on the beach with a coconut! IMO, ELDO has some of the most honest and accurate list of notes around, but last I checked, my blood and semen doesn't smell like this. It starts out very fishy, 'iode-ic,' watery, and oily with some sweet cloying florals around, accented with a lactonic coconut note. As it progresses, it gets saltier and more metallic. Very persistent and strangely sensual. It turns out to be just an above average soft milky sweet-salty floral though. I have something to confess too... I actually found it quite enjoyable - though not revolutionary. I'd give it a C+ grade.

If it's an artistic statement they wanted to make, well, they've done it. Bravo - thumbs up for having the guts to release this!

13 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 18 October, 2009)

tanto's avatar

Helmut Lang Eau de Cologne by Helmut Lang

I liked this fragrance from the very begining! As most of the reviews state, its slightly vanilla, musky, buttery an most of all PLEASING to the senses. To me, it almost smells like Habit Rouge but more "buttery". Helmut Lang is smooth and noncloying. Too bad it's so hard to find because I do like this one a lot.

Myspunge's avatar

England England

Une Rose Chyprée by Tauer

Glittering sherbet Nahéma-ish rose (it’s the bergamot as does it) caters to my weakness for sparkle. Has a clementine edge so twinkly it will probably turn out in the end to be a Horrid Paedophile or maybe a daytime TV presenter or both. Very fey and all the better for that, it is regrettably overtaken by dough in mid-career but that’s often the way with svelte youngsters and is only a passing phase here. A rose in kid gloves powdered with dress-maker’s chalk, I really must stop reading Lorca. The dry-down is more through warm berries/cola than chypre, moves on into sweetened, frail woods and incense (a shade of Sequoia, say, or even the sugars of CdG2), what the impeccable Vibert calls “mostly smoky vanillic amber”.

djolney's avatar

Idole d'Armani by Giorgio Armani

Pretty and sweet; an Armani I actually like!

Idole d’Armani opens with the usual Armani cloud of synthetics and sugar syrup, which does not inspire confidence, but (unlike most other Armani fragrances) it comes back from the brink and arrives at a pretty place.

Once the initial cloud passes I smell juicy Clementine, green jasmine, and a pear (in juice rather than sugar syrup) fruit note. These three notes end up closer to the sweet end of the scale than the green end of the scale, but there is still enough greenness to make this opening enjoyable.

As the ginger and saffron arrive the sweetness is toned down by the spice, and Idole d’Armani starts to smell very nice.

The ginger and saffron help to give the rose more than one dimension, as well as adding warmth to the heart of the fragrance.

The sweet, green, slightly spicy combination of the top and heart notes lasts right into the dry down, and the patchouli and vetiver continue the sweet but not too sweet theme of the fragrance. I’m not sure if the patchouli is earthy in its own right, or if the earthiness comes from the vetiver, but either way it is a very nice base that lasts for hours. A slight chocolate note fades in and out of the patchouli, which fits together nicely with the remains of the pear.

Idole d’Armani is a feel good fragrance that I am happy to recommend.

JonB's avatar

Ho Hang by Balenciaga

Wow, very nice. It is hard to believe this came out of the '70s. This is a woody oriental, but not a heavy one. There are citrus topnotes and other aromatics blended in perfectly to make this a nice "aromatic oriental" There is no syrupy sweetness, just the right sweetness to make this likeable by most.

This would be a great "anytime" scent, and definitely fine for the office. Power and sillage are moderate. Longevity is good.

OK, maybe no one will rate this a 10/10, but it's just so nice to find a fragrance that smells so nice, and is seemingly so versatile. A big thumbs up from me.

No. 5 by Chanel

this is a masterpiece... And unforgettable, elegance, classic, sexy fragrance.. if you appreciate good fragrances, so you will like this... a must have, specially for night outs...

Antaeus by Chanel

this smells absolutely sexy, intense, powerfull, and very expensive.. specially for use with a luxurious tuxedo.... i really love the honey and leather smells at the end... SEXY, SEXY, SEXY.... ORGASMIC SCENT. one of the best from chanels males fragances...

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

what a nice fragrance, smell sexy, sweet, woody, spicy, clean, very unique and expensive.. a must have... u will smell different from the others...

Azzaro Now Men by Azzaro

i really dont like this, the smell is awful. whenever i try it, i cant tolerate. awful...

No. 5 Eau Première by Chanel

what a beautiful composition here. Chanel nro 5 eau premiere smells fresher than Nro 5, but still mantain the elegance and classic smell of Nro 5... a must have... specially for the spring, summer nights out...

Kenzo Power by Kenzo

I really like this, its a fresher version of Dior Homme, but more wearable... thumps up.

msleslie's avatar

Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune by Guerlain

This is very pretty and light. The grapefruit is refreshing, and the faint floral element is delicate. I don't get anything sour or body-odorish at any point, as reported by others, thank goodness. This is my favorite Aqua Allegoria.

flouris's avatar

Acqua di Sale by Profumum

This is horrible, the first scent I've had to scrub off in a very long time. All I get is one big sweet chemical that is overwhelmingly nauseating. It is slightly cucumberish/licorice as others have mentioned, but it has this sickening synthetic sweetness that almost feels like it stains my throat with its smell. As with most truly bad fragrances, the sillage and longevity is extreme.

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

Very nice, with a dose of classiness. Even though it is unisex, could pass more as a masculine scent...because of tobacco, of course.

shamu1's avatar

Jockey Club by Caswell-Massey

Men's scents don't get any more old-school than this. I usually don't care for powdery scents, but the 1800s barbershop vibe is so strong with Jockey Club, I just can't resist. It's a barbershop talc bomb with a touch of floral notes and a strong green soapiness. Think warm, lime-scented shaving cream, with a brushing of talc on your neck, and you've got a pretty good idea of what Jockey Club is like. If I were to compare this to another scent, I'd describe it as a green Royal Copenhagen. Jockey Club goes hand-in-hand with handlebar moustaches, suspenders, bowties, leather vests, etc. No worries about the overuse of the term "classic" here, because this is surely a scent that, while old-fashioned, will always smell good and relevant. Despite the silly name, I can just see Sam Elliott wearing this after getting a shave and a haircut in a scene from one of his Westerns. This is very good.

shamu1's avatar

Patchouli by Caswell-Massey

This is an excellent old-fashioned, barbershop styled patchouli scent. It does have a biting, raw and earthy smell to it, but interestingly it is also quite clean smelling and smooth. There's not much else in this other than raw patchouli, but it does have a slight powderiness in the background that gives it the clean barbershop feel.

Slapping this on after shaving in the morning is invigorating, and I always feel clean and well groomed after putting it on. I feel confident and ready to take on all comers when I put this on at the start of the day. Though patchouli is often associated with potheads and hippies, I wear this cologne very comfortably with my navy pinstriped suits in a business setting. I hope Caswell-Massey doesn't decide to discontinue Aura of Patchouli, because I'll always want to have a bottle of this on hand. I wish they would make shaving cream, shower gel and deodorant with this scent because I'd buy all of them.

13 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 16 January, 2010)

Paninaro's avatar

Serbia Serbia

Pasha by Cartier

Truly a masterpiece of oriental scents! So warm, yet so refreshing and minty!

As we all know - ladies usually love tales of oriental princes. This fragrance is an oriental prince in the bottle. Much more erotic scent than dozens of uber-masculine aggresive liquids. If you are inviting a lady to a home made dinner – make no mistake, wear Pasha. If you are sure that she will wake up in your appartment – take out all other bottles from your bathroom (she will surely check out what was so good in the air last evening).

I will always be regretting why, oh why, they never made an EdP version... Projection is gone in an hour, longevity is slightly better, but wait a second! If you do wear for special purposes (as I mentioned before) – it is one of the best frags in the world.

Paninaro's avatar

Serbia Serbia

IL by Lancetti

Basically, IL by Lancetti and Egoiste by Chanel are more or less same to me. There are some nice memories linking me to IL and I will put thumbs up, but actually I am not so fond of this kind of scents.

What is my impression then?

If I would describe weather this scent remids me of – it is hot weather. Very hot. And humid, too. Therefore I could've never wore this scent in late spring/summer/early fall.

If I would describe what occasion this scent reminds me of – it is night club. Very hot and crowded night club.

Notes? Sweetness is excessive, but you can feel some herbal (maybe fruit?) notes in there. Reminds me of some Turkish delight in liquid form. Longevity is great, sillage is good if not great.

I somehow do feel sorry for it's discontinuitment.

Jack's avatar

No. 88 by Czech & Speake

I agree with Somerville’s review totally. I had this sample for a while and didn’t try it because it was floral. I usually hate floral type frags for myself (SMW comes to mind). But like it was stated in other reviews this is a masculine floral. It reminds me of what a “dark red wet crushed rose” would smell like.