Fragrance Reviews from October 2009

Envy for Men by Gucci

ENVY FOR MEN has been on my test list for quite some time yet for some reason I never got round to sampling it. The listed notes alone are worth investigating IMO, esp. for fans of opoponax and incense. So it was with some disappointment that I finally sampled Envy for Men only to find a dominant 'old' ginger note interfering with my enjoyment as the scent progressed. Perhaps a lighter ginger component like that of Kenzo Tokyo or more complimentary accords would make this oriental composition a little tighter and win that thumbs up from me.

14 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 15 October, 2009)

's avatar

Cédre by 06130 Zéro Six Cent-Trente

This is the best skin fragrance I have ever worn. It is not complex (an overused word) and I'm not one to wax on about such things. Cedre is simply a very well made frag that will have people thinking it is how you smell naturally.

's avatar

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

This is just a rubbish frag I didn't find one thing about it that I liked. But then the mens version of most perfume is never as good as the womens IMHO.

annalyssa's avatar

Infusion d'Iris by Prada

The perfumer Daniela Andrier's comments on Infusion d'Iris are completely true!

“This perfume does not mimic any current trends in perfumery,” Andrier noted. “It does not follow any olfactory or descriptive stereotypes of what a woman should smell like, but rather expresses itself through its contrast between a great freshness and apparent lightness and a type of tender veil, sensual and strong, that envelops the body and the clothing of the woman who wears [it].” (nstperfume.com)

She certainly has created something quite distinct at Prada and after being seduced by Infusion d'Iris, I'm now counting the days til L'Eau Ambrée appears in shops here....

Kinok's avatar

Kenzo Peace Vintage Edition by Kenzo

I really like Kenzo Vintage! I think it is a perfect fragrance to wear on those cold days when you don't want to overdo it with a scent-bomb, you just want a nice subtle, woody/vanilla aura around you. It is definitely not a powerhouse fragrance, but that's why I like it! It is pretty Linear as well, but that's not really a bad thing to me in this case. Sometimes I just want that milky comfort the whole way through. So far I have been wearing it for about 5 hours and it is still noticeable, but it is mostly a close to the skin scent. Maybe a nice scent for a hot date? ;) Anyway, Thumbs up!!

True-sapphire's avatar

Gai Mattiolo Uomo by Gai Mattiolo

I'm 20 yrs old, and this is the first bottle in my whole life.(after trying many fragrances at the counters)
    Also, it's the first time I got some complements from people around me.
    I bought some sample bottle in the website,
    and I decided to buy the full bottle immediately.

Very very fresh fragrance, and little fruity. They blended them very smoothly.
    The most impressive thing is it's unbelievably long-lasting.
    It definitely suit for the hot weather like my country. That's why I love it.

I still wonder why it's quite unpopular as it's supposed to be.

Three thumps up (if it has)

Jose Pedro Moreau's avatar

Portugal Portugal

Partner by Révillon

Bought a big bottle in the mid-80´s and all i can recall is a general lemon
    overtone that warmed up a bit durng the day, leading to a mixture of other
    ingredients that time is fading away in my memory.

pasha's avatar

Onde Mystère by Giorgio Armani

It is not really an 'onde'. More like a little wiggle on a water. A sugar-y, D&G Light Blue-esque water that is way too light and feeble for its own good, and hefty GA price.

Bottle, sans the tassel, is lovely.

14 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 07 March, 2011)

evinick's avatar

Greece Greece

Black Walnut by Banana Republic

Great idea, intriguing name, excellent packaging but average content. Really close to John Varvatos, but so weak… Pleasant fresh opening gives soon its place to a blend of light woods and tobacco leaf heart. But it’s the heart of an ill man, weak and malfunctioning. The cedar is so well hidden (I totally agree with purplebird7) and the tobacco is neither smoky nor sweet. You desperately want to discover more but there’s just nothing else to discover. Simply pleasant…

Louslice's avatar

Yerbamate by Lorenzo Villoresi

Very green and herbal at first, but then soon some beautifully executed woods join in. Later it softens and becomes powdery. Overall it is a sophisticated herbal, green scent. It is more of a feminine scent and I wouldn't recommend it for most men, although there are always exceptions of course.

Louslice's avatar

Acqua di Colonia by Lorenzo Villoresi

It starts out all citrus, mainly lemon peel and orange, then some spices develop and mingle in the background. It is a very fresh, bathroom sort of scent. It is supposed to be based entirely of essential oils, so the quality should be much better than the huge range of citrus scents that line most department store shelves. I liked it but didn't love it.

cid1204's avatar

Czech Republic Czech Republic

Unforgivable by Sean John

I am sorry to say, but I already regret this purchase. It was mistake. Unforgivable is ordinery clean, fresh scent, with poor longevity and zero projection. One of the "spray and forget" fragrances, that last just for an hour. Cannot imagine how Unforgivable won Fifi.

SirSlarty's avatar

Starring for Men by Avon

The opening says "i'm gonna be a spicy fougere!" but the drydown leaves you and says "haha just kidding I was a fresh oriental!" Strangely unique structure. Moderate sillage and comes in bursts. The vanilla in the drydown reminds of Raw Vanilla from Coty. Not bad. If you see a good deal, pick it up. There are samples still floating around out there, too.

SirSlarty's avatar

Balle de Match / L'Eau De Sport by Nicolaï

Good lord I can't believe a bitter grapefruit note could last so long. And be that intense. Bolstered by woodsy-like accords (patchouli, incense) it really delivers a punch. Also the berry and juniper leaves a fruity freshness going. Very strange and interesting to work your nose around it. Not too enamored by it to warrant a bottle, though.

L'Aventurier's avatar

Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford

Tobacco, black tea and vanilla. That's about it.

While I loved it at first sniff, Tobacco Vanille now makes me yawn of boredom due to it's linear (and lack of) evolution. I also hate the synthetic black tea note in it - I find myself getting annoyed of smelling the exact same thing for hours on end - like a song that was good at first, but once you hear it on the radio for the 5th time in an hour you're fed up of it. Not much else to say here, but that TV is also overpriced and smells a bit like a candle. Sorry guys, I'm just not feeling this one.

I much prefer Guerlain's Spiritueuse Double Vanille - now that's a fragrance with quality, evolution and great blending. Even though there's no tobacco in SDV, it still reminds me of vanilla pipe tobacco and gets top honors for being my favorite pipe-tobacco-style fragrance. SDV is less sweet than TV and it's not even close to being as cloying or annoying as Tobacco Vanille.

15 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 30th November, 2009)

vintage*red's avatar

Dzongkha by L'Artisan Parfumeur

The only positive thing that I can say is that Dzongkha is different. It's not different in the way that Dzing is different. It's not complex; it's schizophrenic. It can't decide whether to be a soft leather tea or to be a gourmand or to be a study in woods & herbs. The juxtaposition is unpleasant. I'm glad for the adventure in sampling this scent, but I would not wear it in a million years.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Escada Homme by Escada

A restrained, booze tinged oriental, that feels like it should be extremely potent, but remains contained and elegant. The opening is a distinctly Mediterranean experience, a fine blend of citric ingredients blended with an essence of cognac. It’s the perfect start to a fragrance, giving it a positive, optimistic energy that never diminishes. The heart notes inject a little edge to the proceedings, and a lightly spiced aromatic phase leads into a deal clinching dry down that is well worth the wait. Although each phase is distinct, the overall spirit remains intact, and it retains its quality throughout. The lack of potency and longevity seems deliberate, a necessary act of restraint for something to be enjoyed on a much subtler level.

xiikzodz's avatar

He Wood by Dsquared2

It smells like the fellow who used to renovate my place some years ago. Violets Iso E Super and musks, the edgy combination smoothened up by Vetiver.

xiikzodz's avatar

She Wood by Dsquared2

Using violets to reconstruct the scent of pencil scrapings. Agreeable cedar ambery drydown.

Esencia Loewe by Loewe

ESENCIA LOEWE bucked the frag bomb trend of the 1980s, with an elegant and classy presentation of lavender on top of a superb blend of grassy vetiver, smooth sandalwood, light amber and just a hint of musk. That's the impression I got anyway as the base is just too refined. I'm just surprised such a gentlemanly scent as this hasn't had more reviews.

Intimately Beckham Men by Beckham

I must say for a celebrity scent, INTIMATELY BECKHAM is surprisingly competent, approaching good even. 3-4 hours after the forwards ran out of steam, the midfielders esp. Nutmeg and Violet are still spraying deft passes into space. Unfortunately the 'back four' is the weakest link, the main reason for the team's lack of resilience. Patchouli, amber and sandalwood? Bah! I think replacements are in order when the transfer window opens. Now David Beckham is really a regular bloke who is blessed with marketable good looks and a talent for laser-guided defence-splitting passes. Just do not to ask him to speak at events much less sing. Similarly don't expect this celebrity scent to reach the same level of sophistication as those from more established houses; it is primarily targeted at his legions of fans around the world who I'm sure would be a little more forgiving than the average Basenoter.

MissMagic's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Dahlia by Fragonard

This one is discontinued. So if you find it, give it a try, or no, give it at least 3 tries! It's worth it! You have to give this one a few tries before you make up your mind. Also use it with a light hand. First time I tried it, i didn't like it all. But now I've tried it couple of more times, and yes, the scent has grown on me. It's subtle, and refined, special, when used with a light hand. It's neither too light or heavy. I've never sniffed a perfume like this before (as I collect, I have sniffed many many...). It's probably (from the poor ratings read on, for example MUA) not for the "oridnary" perfume-wearer, but more for one's who can appriciate this special, different perfume! A perfume for perfume-nerds as myself :) The bottle is a retro-beauty. I love old-fashioned bottles :) !! Would have been better if it this came in a smaller bottle than this huge 3.3 OZ (125ml) one, because it is $$$ = pricey. But still, I guess one does have to pay for a rare special perfume as this. By the way: Most Dahlias do not have fragrance. However, thanks to modern hybridization, new varieties are being bred with a unique smell, such as the Honka Dahlia.
    And...
    Dahlia, is from the Fruits of Provence-series. The "Fruity" Line. The freshness of the sun-drenched fruits of Provence. Fragrance-notes: Osmanthus, Honeysuckle, Jasmine, Rose, Soft Amber and chèvrefeuille.

Bijan for Men by Bijan

Not very good at all. First 30 minutes it smells amazing. very soapy/green scent that I like, but dries down to Johnson's baby wipes. Though the bottle does look like a pacifier so it fits.

Cool Water by Davidoff

Awesome smelling (though a little cheap smelling) aquaish smell. I won't buy a full bottle but a .5 will do me fine. potent stuff

Tommy Bahama for Men by Tommy Bahama

Spicy and boozy. Smells very similar to Burberry London actually except better in my opinion. I'll be getting this one.

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

Christmas in a bottle basically. All the scents of the season. Very "dry" drydown so it won't last too long. Nice.

sydney's avatar

Honeysuckle by Demeter Fragrance Library

I love this scent! I was hoping that it would be the sweet, tangy Honeysuckle that floats around summertime here in Washington State, but its a more softer variety. To me, I pick up both Honeysuckle and Casablanca Lily.. Two gorgeous flowers in one! One thing I love doing with this scent -- Spray it 3 or 4 times on a tank top from the wash, and throw it in with a load of towels in the dryer! It gives them a touch of lazy summer day that no dryer sheet can match.. Lasting power is much the same as some of my other favorite demeters.. Strong at first, that fades in say, 20 minutes, but just the right amound to get a sniff or two the rest of the day.. if you are close enough ;)

15 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 16 October, 2009)

sydney's avatar

Lava Rock by Demeter Fragrance Library

I ordered this thinking, hey, lava rock sounds pretty rad, I bet it smells pretty rad... but lets just say, I think my great grandmother bathes in this. The only way I can describe it is that it smells like old lady, and not the good cookie baking kind. I am definately exchanging it. One good think about it.. It lasts. A long time. My bathroom still reeks of it.

Scottlondon's avatar

Helmut Lang Men by Helmut Lang

I really love this fragrance. This is the one i come back to when i want a smell that feels masculine and close to the skin. It is distinctive without shouting, and best appreciated when it catches you, or someone close to you, unaware. The powdery note upfront settles into a woody/salty musk on me that i never tire of or find too strident. Why has it been discontinued??? And why does it say that it's still in production here on Basenotes? Is it still available in some countries?

latelittlesleeper's avatar

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

This has a slightly sweet (but not gourmand) vanilla note that takes center stage on me, but it's tempered by the powdery iris so it's very soft and stays close to my skin.

What I love is how the cardamon and vetiver cut through the sweet with a nice, almost lemon-grassy freshness that I assume is what makes this a masculine scent and not a feminine.

I love it! Sometimes when I try a men's cologne, I have to suffer through the initial ALPHA-MALE synthetic sport notes, but not here. I can imagine this would be lovely on a man, but on a woman, it's very wearable.