Fragrance Reviews from October 2009

Black lily's avatar

Calycanthus by Acca Kappa

The calycanthus flower is found in Venice and blooms in the heart of winter. To received this flower is to give a gift of love and care.This pretty wildflower intoxicates the air in the Venitian gardens and reminds you that spring is not far.It's heady scent warms your spirit just like the honey in this fragrance.The bouquet of honey, jasmine and musk does this little flower justice.Acca Kappa have captured the 'pretty' alluring aroma in their version. The blend is sweet and balanced and creates a true dulcet floral. The more you inhale it the warmer your feel...It makes you smile..

neitheornor's avatar

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

To me, Grey Flannel's initial two-hour blast is like the craggy cliffs of Dover. And I do mean craggy. Actually, more like a craggy old man with greying whiskers and a smelly driving cap mournfully standing above the crashing waves of the freezing cold cliffs of Dover. Yes, that's more like it. Then the old man creaks home and relaxes into his rocking chair, at which point Grey Flannel loses its metaphorical old man association and smooths out into a more sophisticated and balanced green scent...with just the slightest whiff (to my nose) of something very dirty. It's probably just my undeveloped nose and skin chemistry, but do I detect a note of feces or urine? Or something equally harsh and...off? Every once in a while a vague sense of that wafts up to me. Or maybe I've just popped and peed myself without noticing...again. I've worn and tried many men's colognes, but this the only cologne that seems, in the end, simply too manly for this lesbian. This is definitively a MAN'S cologne, period. Overall, it is a very well-crafted and well-rounded, as well as definitely unique, scent. Not to mention cheap -- I bought this at Ross for $9.99.

scipioafricanus's avatar

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

When i smell this scent my first reaction was a reminiscence (not in an overtly good way though), there was an intense similarity between platinujm egoiste and to Hugo by Hugo boss (Not too seem to cast a harsh light on that scent, it's a fragrance i enjoy wearing to the office, something simple, green and clean when i don't want to think too much). I was disappointed by platinum egoiste, expecting more as i had read so much about the praised egoiste original.

My suggestion is, if you like the scent, find out which is cheaper, Hugo by hugo boss or Platinum Egoiste (hint: go for the cheaper option). For now i'm going to purchase some 'Egoiste' the original, to see if it turns my yawn into a gasp.

toyan's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Weekend for Women by Burberry

I don't understand how anyone would want to wear this perfume, to me it smells like manure...

toyan's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Touch for Women by Burberry

Touch is a nice scent. Rather dry, clean and not too sweet. Interesting. I can't detect any aldehyde note and in my opinion Touch bears no resemblance to Chanel No. 5 which is a perfume I absolutely detest. Touch is a perfume that can be worn every day.

jaycmack's avatar

Lauder for Men by Estée Lauder

Lauder for Men was the first designer cologne I ever owned, and it deserves a review. I was 17 when my sister bought me a 3.4 oz. bottle of this, way back in 1993. Even though I was alot younger than you would expect a person wearing this to be, my friends and I all loved it. In my opinion it is a timeless classic. There's a reason why these types of fragrances remain popular for so long: they're hard to beat. It has a beautiful woody quality that is balanced expertly by the spices. Maybe that's why others here have mentioned its versatility. I still feel it has something of a formal edge to it, especially the top; yet it always went great with jeans and a sweater! If you looked in the encylopedia under "men's cologne", you would see a picture of Lauder for Men. Smell it once and you may agree.

Agatha Runcible's avatar

Bois des Îles by Chanel

This review is for the Parfum formulation.

Wow. Beaux never ceases to impress. What I smell is a scent that is integrated and very engaging.

I am first hit with a rich and voluptuous mix of notes that are deftly blurred through the lens of a Beaux Aldehyde.

I detect a slight boozy note. I smell richly woven ylang, bitter almond, Grasse jasmine and sandalwood through woods and florals that make up this rich yet abstract image which this smell evokes. I think I can also detect a hint of incense?

Having experienced the EDT reformulation shortly after the original Parfum (as the Parfum now seems hard to source) I am only left wondering one thing. Why such an amazing and captivating scent, which could only show the house of Chanel in the best light, be given such severe treatment. The current formulation is pedestrian and pale in comparison.

Where the original Parfum is voluptuous and elegant, the current EDT formulation is just another face in the crowd, it just happens to be wearing a 2.55 as it is trying to blend in and not say anything of any particular value.

Agatha Runcible's avatar

Emporio Armani Diamonds by Giorgio Armani

This review is for the EDP formulation.

After the initial burst of synthetic over sweetness (which seems typical of Armani perfumes) has calmed down, I begin to detect an interesting and unpredictable fruit note that has an alluring sour edge to it.

I can detect some soft focus florals underscored by a smooth and soft vetiver note, which makes for a nice balance to the sweet yet sour fruity raspberry smell that is in the fore ground. I am enjoying this interesting raspberry note. However, the scent seems to stay fixed, with no suggestion of a progression beyond this.

I am pleasantly surprised by this perfume because I have not warmed to Armani’s previously.

15 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 16 October, 2009)

Atlantaloves's avatar

Laundromat by Demeter Fragrance Library

This is one of my favorites by Demeter, beautiful. light and quite fresh. Smells like clean clothes and soap.

Atlantaloves's avatar

Rain by Demeter Fragrance Library

Well I love this Rain. I've tried many versions of Rain, but this one spoke to me. It just makes you feel good. Very fresh, different and extremely clean. I totally recommend it.

laurent's avatar

Sienna by Crabtree & Evelyn

A very very nice winter scent

A peppery warmth with a touch of sweetness

It is in the league of the Classics - Retro - Vintage scents - so not 2010 that it fits right in !!

Great life on the skin

I think this one should be kept secret as we all like something unusual and personal.

Formal/evening summers only - but a big bold wintery scent

Thumb thumb thumb ups

16 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 08 November, 2009)

mastorer's avatar

Kadota by Michael Storer

Thank you all on your words about Kadota. As I always say, you can't please 100% of people, but this sound darn good to me.

Much appreciated, all of you!

–Michael Storer

get your samples at

michaelstorer.com

upuautiii's avatar

Version Originale by Jean-Marc Sinan

Unique. I wonder what notes are in it. the remaining bottles go for $180+. You can get an imitation scent from many essential oil shops that mix elements to imitation perfumes. It's very close to the original.

odysseusm's avatar

Eau de Gentiane Blanche by Hermès

I like this scent. It is minimalist and translucent, yet I find it has presence and interesting features. It seems attractive and sensual: I enjoy it on myself and I’d like to smell it on someone.
    I don’t find some aspects which others have reported. I don’t get any pepper, no indolic/iris notes, nothing like vetiver. I think it is only very slightly a green scent.
    It starts with a woody-earthy opening that has hints of green. This is a very interesting phase, but unfortunately it only lasts a minute or two. There seems to be a pause, a moment of olfactory silence. Then the lovely incense and light musk notes emerge. These are extremely attractive. They are subtle and sit close to the skin. They have a somewhat clean-soapy character, and a bit of wood.
    This is not a flashy scent, and it has very little sillage and limited longevity. It is a scent for those who would get close to you.

scentsitivity's avatar

Strand by Anglia Perfumery

Citrus and wood notes dominate here, but the scent comes across as harsh and chemical. Eventually the harshness disappears, but it isn’t worth waiting for as what’s left is a rather dull woody undertone.

scentsitivity's avatar

Vetyver by Nicolaï

When one goes to the PdN website, the notes for Vetyver are listed as:

Top notes : Citrus : lemon petit grain oil, galbanum oil
    Heart notes: Lightly aromatic woody vetiver
    Bottom notes : Amber

The text in French below the listing talks about different things: cumin, vetiver and black pepper. And that is exactly what this scent seems to be about. It is a dirty, spicy vetiver and I really like it. It deserves more attention than it gets.

Morgaine's avatar

Steam Aoud by Montale

Smells disturbingly similar to that Thai fish sauce, Nuoc Man. Which, I hardly need add, is Not A Good Thing.

Agent Provocateur by Agent Provocateur

Whoah! The dirtier, younger, messed-up and way less polite cousin of Aromatics Elixir! And she's got a ground to air missile in her bra! Run!
    No seriously folks. Too. Much. This heavily in your face number even survives a night of sleep and a shower. It's loud, heavy and cloying. Everything I sometimes love (and I adore dirty), but absolutely not here. And where is the rose? Must be hiding under all that other stuff. Sheesh. And I so wanted to love whatever came in this bottle, too.

Rush by Gucci

Well, I shall certainly have to pay more attention to the topnotes then! I live in South Africa, LOVE freesias... didn't get them at all here! Didn't get much of any striking topnotes, so obviously I was zoning out, testing lots of scents. The drydown is very pleasant, light and vanillic (hit with the boyfriend), but really very blah. Smelled THAT before, even the boyfriend acknowledged though he loves it it's very generic.

Private Collection Jasmine White Moss by Estée Lauder

Uhmm... all round, no. Not enough. Yes it's fresh at first, but soon the vaguely sweet and musty drydown already mentioned creeps to the fore. And stays there. This smells really familiar, but the drydown reveals the (sadly) modern nature of this scent. I don't care if it DOES outperform Cristalle and Eau Sauvage in longevity, as this has nothing but that fact to say for itself, I'll stick to the classics when I want refreshing crispness. And for jasmine I'm sure the same applies; been done better.

illyria's avatar

Marilyn Red by Andy Warhol

I got this and the other two Marilyns (Pink and Blue) from an Amazon trader for about £3 each. I bought them for the cute bottles. I didn't really care about the juice, though I asumed it would be generic.

Listed notes are: blackcurrent, jasmine and sandalwood.

When I sprayed Red, my first thought was 'Le Jardin de Max Factor'! And indeed, it was close. But it warmed up rapidly, and became a lot less shrill than Le Jardin. It's a pleasant, not-too-fruity jasmine, nothing special. Wearable as an everyday scent for a teenager, perhaps, but it's too boring and generic for me.

illyria's avatar

Marilyn Blue by Andy Warhol

I got three of these (Blue, Red and Pink) from an Amazon trader for about £3 each, just for the bottles. At that price, I didn't really care about the juice, but I assumed it would be cheapish and generic.

This one, as purinzzang says, is pretty much a dupe of Flower! Without wearing them side by side (I don't have Flower), I can't say how exact a copy it is. But it smells close to me, and doesn't smell any cheaper than Flower itself. It seemed to last a while, too.
    So if you like Flower, but don't have the bucks, try this. (Also, the bottle is cute).

Rodolfo's avatar

Spain Spain

Messe de Minuit by Etro

It's surprising the sillage and longevity of this "EdC". Veritable and enjoyable.

After this, the scent. The scent is, to be honest, a work of art.

JonB's avatar

Héritage by Guerlain

The pepperiness in Heritage simply does not work for my nose. This is stinky stuff I don't particularly like. Oh well, you can't win them all.

Scuderia Ferrari Black by Ferrari

This is certainly preferable to the appalling Ferrari Red, but it remains too indistinct and lacking in genuine quality to be considered a winner. The citrus opening is of poor quality, and certainly not of the standard required to make this fragrance stand out from the crowd. The heart notes make a brief appearance, a lightly spiced floral blend that add nothing and depart much too quickly. With a vanilla, amber and cedar dry down, it finishes better than it begins, but it has little to commend it.

Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger

A rather tedious contrivance that thankfully slithers away before one could truly despise it. The opening is inoffensive enough, but it lacks vibrancy and panache. If there really are as many ingredients as have been listed, they have only succeeded in creating an amorphous mess. An ancestor of the modern aquatic, it was poor when it emerged, and it’s aged badly.

Elixir des Merveilles by Hermès

One combination of traits that I find intoxicating is the blend of beauty with humility. Elixir des Merveilles displays these qualities, not just when it is in full bloom, but from the outset. On application it flashed me the briefest of smiles, allowing me to sample the simple charms of those sweet opening notes. Thereafter, it demonstrated a delightful reticence, a slightly candied orange accord is present, but further notes are merely insinuated, and one is invited to dig ever deeper in pursuit of further subtleties. Caramel, incense, oak, cedar and patchouli all emerge, but it is all been created with an expert nose, nothing is obvious. Stumbling upon this delightful fragrance was an extremely gratifying experience.

Mapex's avatar

David Beckham Pure Instinct by Beckham

This reminds me of Marc Jacobs. Sort of an orange scent, tho it's not in the piramid. Got compliments with this one. Not original,or worth the money(got it cheap on e-bay), but a decent frag. Still another fine copy of another frag. done 1ce again by Beckham.

annalyssa's avatar

Le Temps d'Une Fête by Nicolaï

This is my first PDN and I am blown away. I received a sample in the mail this morning and am going to save up for a bottle starting right now.
    It is .... radiant.
    Elegant, satisfying, beautiful. Nothing jars and it smells of absolute quality - perfection.

It reminds me of Cristalle, which I love, but sweeter, less cold, more romantic and feminine.

I'm now on a narcissus high.

heynow's avatar

Helmut Lang Eau de Cologne by Helmut Lang

One of my favorites - the review by HDS1963 is right on. To my nose HL is all about the heart, which comes together as a blend of jasmine, heliotrope, vanilla, and sandalwood. On first sniff this may appear to be a buttery vanilla musk, but over subsequent experiences the depth and subtleties really begin to show themselves. I've been wearing HL for years and I'm finding out new things about it every time I smell it - it's that well done. The EdC lasts a very long time, and in many ways I find it superior to the stronger EdP because the topnotes aren't as potent and forceful. An excellent fragrance that is sadly discontinued.