Fragrance Reviews from October 2009

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Cuoio by Odori

Hmmm...did I get the wrong sample? The last time I smelled detergent, I didn't have to shell out 200 bucks. Granted, there is something fresh and refined in the leather drydown that I like but for the price, I'd rather sprinkle on some detergent. And if you don't like Helmut Lang's Cuiron chances are you won't like CUOIO either.

Preferred Stock by Coty

I have to say i like this one and i think its definately a nice woodsy aroma and its very masculine

definately good if it was advertised in playboy alongside BIG name brand scents it definately got my attention longer than ANY of the others

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

i have to say i have smelled this one and it blows anything away while this is spicier than PH 2 but definately unique and a knockout scent

01st October, 2009 (Last Edited: 29th October, 2009)

Silver Black / Onyx by Azzaro

nothing original just a spicy spicy scent with annoying sillage and almost gives the feel of an ethnic restaraunte not my thing

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

It seems to me that the only reason people are negatively reviewing this frag because it's popular. I personally have never smelled this on anyone, and I live near San Jose. I do smell quite a bit of unforgivable though....ugh.

Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Strong, woody oriental. This stuff will get you noticed. Only in moderation of course. Apart from a momentary citrus blast, I get pure woods (hint of spice) on this one. I like it, but too mature for my teenage taste haha. Maybe in ten or twenty years.

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Lets see...how can i say this. It smells like a urinal cake, but it works...idk. I would probably never wear it, but something about it is good. I'll have to try one of the variants, but it is very earthy. I like it, yet it reminds me of bowel movements...if the smell of urinal cakes never existed, I'd LOVE this one.

Armani Mania by Giorgio Armani

I actually really like this stuff. Its a VERY soft flavor on my skin. Nice florals, but then drys down to a rubber floral. Rubber in a good way though. As in natural rubber. Only reason i wont buy...horrid sillage and longevity.

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

This smells great, maybe a bit feminine, but spicy and nice. Really strong, but what would you expect from a scent named after a drug? I could only see myself using this at formal events, so a .5 oz is more than enough. Sillage/Longevity seem solid. I will pick up some of this.

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

This smells really good...enough said. Awesome blend.

Antidote by Viktor & Rolf

Absolutely repulsive. I wouldn't knnow it by looking at the notes on here. (Though more notes doesn't always seem to be better) Reminds me of that bottled stink, Drakkar Noir. Ewww. One star for the fragrance, five for the bottle.

SMELLGOODYEAY's avatar

Tommy Hilfiger Dreaming Pearl by Tommy Hilfiger

Smelled it recently while travelling, thought it to be a rather light but nice everyday casual smell. didn´t stay too long ,it had a different start to it. Buy for now

Oh! de London by Tuvache

I remember the original formula Oh! de London from the 1960s and this does not smell anything like it. Tuvache aquired the formula from Yardley, but some of the ingredients that were in the original are apparently no longer available.

This reproduction is cloying and overly sweet and does not have the subtle nuances of the 1960s Oh! de London, a refreshing floral blend that was a true classic.

Ange ou Démon by Givenchy

This appears to be a controversial scent! I was hooked at first sniff and just had to buy a big bottle right away after receiving a sample. This is a kind of oddball perfume, but I love the sweet creamy notes. This is a great office perfume for me becasue it does not seem to offend coworkers who hate perfume. A yummy gourmand fragrance. Yes!!!!!

Secret Obsession by Calvin Klein

All attempts to compare Secret Obsession to Obsession are futile, because this is a totally different scent and not intended to be a version of Obsession. This is a subtle, sensual and complex scent and highly addictive. I find Secret Obsession an excellent perfume to wear to work as it is soft and subtle. I also agree that there should be an "intense" version of this, espeically for evening wear.

Helle's avatar

M2 Black March by CB I Hate Perfume

I love how it smells from the vial and the first 30 seconds on skin. It is an amazingly natural, and immediately recognizable scent of wet leaves and black dirt. In less than a minute it turns sweet, synthetic and flat. I would wear the opening happily in any season but the rest is a mystery to me, it's quite nasty to my nose.

Helle's avatar

Patchouli 24 by Le Labo

I absolutely love every bit of this fragrance. I love the smokey leather of the opening and how it morphs into patchouli-dirty vanilla to become a dry, salty comfort scent with an edge, a comfort scent for dark nights in dirty cities.

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

The Dreamer by Versace

Neutral: Nothing dreamish about it. This scent is clean and soapy, wich is not bad. A classic I might put under consideration.

Positive: Ok, I tested this more thoroughly and boy is this some scent or what. Immediately I got complimented when I was wearing it. I don't know how or why but girls and women simply adore this smell. This is a scent for romantic occasions or clubbing, generally for the evening wear when it's very cold and the sky is clear (the clear sky is bonus actually). This fragrance cuts through the cold air and it's an amazing classic. Supposedly discontinued but I don't believe so, perfume shops don't hold it in Croatia but drug stores hold it in abundance.

01st October, 2009 (Last Edited: 03rd December, 2010)

jasong9573's avatar

CK Free by Calvin Klein

I got sample of this and it smells very fresh. It actually reminded me of shaving cream! However, I believe I have smelled something similar before, but I can't put my finger on it. So it is not all original. I am sure somebody will come up with a comparison. But, still it's good though.

Wordbird's avatar

Wales Wales

Purple Fantasy by Guerlain

Perfectly nice, very polite, but like Brielle, I was left uninspired.
    I like a rose and sandalwood blend well enough but... I want more than this from Guerlain. If I smelled this blind I would think it was lovely and gentle and a jolly good creation from a massmarket perfumer like Coty. I mean - this is what a celebuscent really ought to smell like, as opposed to the ghastly fruity hairspray things some of them put out.

So to sum up: not terrible, but not good enough for Guerlain.

Kiton Black by Kiton

Wow, nice. Very nice. In the style of Sean John Unforgiveable and Usher. A close encounter with the Creed kind. Multi-dimensional, like a 3 course meal. Its sharp, crisp, sweet and spicy yet well composed...translates to a man that is smart and witty, fun loving yet serious. The standard in men's office wear IMHO. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

DKNY Men (New) by Donna Karan

This falls into the why bother category for me. It smells good, but it is not provocative, not groundbreaking, not special, not anything. And then there's the calone. I guess it is good for those one frag dudes...they'll enjoy it, but they know no better.

02nd October, 2009 (Last Edited: 11th November, 2009)

DKNY Love from New York for Men by Donna Karan

Calone laden crap. I couldn't wear this. A joke at best. Sample it, and I am sure you will come to the same conclusion. I guess the name is supposed to generate some sales?

02nd October, 2009 (Last Edited: 12th November, 2009)

Paul Smith Man by Paul Smith

D&G One. Yes, down to the vanillaic hints (tonka bean). PSM is stronger, closer to Versace Blue jeans that D&G One emulates ever so lightly. Smells toatally different on paper, so my reports are based on my skin. Still, on any skin you should get generic spice (spicy accord) as it dries down. The opening is attractive...the notes remind me of old saddle.

Worth the purchase for a warm frag for the winter months. THe tonka bean gives it a homely comfort feel.

michailG's avatar

Eau Sauvage Extrême by Christian Dior

Eau Savage Extrême is not working for me. The initial citrus sparkle disappears and is replaced by a chypre green woody mossy dry down that comes to stay too soon, after half an hour, on my skin. Now this may work wonders for others but for me it’s just the cause of a feeling of dizziness. I have experienced the same with Declaration. Classic and classy it maybe, lasting too; however, no thank you.

michailG's avatar

Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur by Pierre Cardin

No doubt about it, Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur is a fine fragrance indicative of its times. Wearable, comforting with an excellent powdery dry-down. It is the sweet (leather & vanilla) accords that although soft and tender are not my cup of tea. On my skin it lasts a couple of hours then it fades away, although its sweetness remains traceable.

bokaba's avatar

YSL pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Nice try, but no cigar. Compared to the classics like Eau Sauvage, YSLPH falls horribly short. The opening is synthetic and plastic with some sweat and heady spices that dries down to a animalic tar base with more synthetic lemon. Get Eau Sauvage or at least Monsieur de Givenchy.

02nd October, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th November, 2009)

johnponder's avatar

Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I have never disliked anything by Serge Lutens. Their scents generally seem original, strong, lasting, and classy. They tend to be spicy and oriental, which I prefer. This fragrance is no exception. I was introduced to SL with Amber Sultan, but I might like this one the best. Very sweet. Many compliments from women. This is the way I want to smell.

vazioli's avatar

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

This is one of my favorite scents ever! So skillfully crafted! A world in a bottle! Fresh, light, clean, yet very sophisticated and classic. I cannot recall any other "fresh" masculine fragrance that would fall under same category. Big problem, however, is the sillage and longevity - I, and my surroundings, cannot spot the fragrance 30 minutes after it has been put on. I would give Thumbs Down for its longevity if there was an option to rate it separately.

vazioli's avatar

Gai Mattiolo Uomo by Gai Mattiolo

What a disappointment! I cannot recall times when the scent was so terribly and surprizingly repealing to me!! The scent almost makes me - this has never happened to me before! The strange thing is that I cannot understand what exactly is the reason... It reminds me of something unfresh, something rotten mixed with freshly cut grass. A very strange combination that I just physically cannot accept.