Fragrance Reviews from October 2009

Boudoir by Vivienne Westwood

I love Boudoir, and its gentler cousin Boudoir Sin Garden. I think the Vivienne Westwood fragrances are a lot like VW's designs... classic styling with elements that are wildly sexy and totally unique. You have to have curves to wear VW designs, as they require a lush feminine body to really shine. They're structured and sensual at the same time.

This perfume is exactly the same way. Lushly feminine, bold but classic. Not terribly discreet or demure, but not cheap or loud. Just confident and sexy and strong and warm. You wouldn't wear this to a school play. You'd wear this to a date, or to a dinner party where you'd like to seduce the man across or next to you. It doesn't scream sex, but it is highly sensual.

My skin emphasises sweet smells, and I've not had a problem with Boudoir being overly so. On me, it's floral, creamy and rich.

Boudoir Sin Garden by Vivienne Westwood

It's green in the bottle, but not incredibly green on the skin or in scent. If the creamy richness of Boudoir isn't your thing, you might want to give this a try. It's similar to the original Boudoir in is lush, confident femininity, but it's... hmm... a little bit more powdery and floral? Sin Garden is a good description of this. I enjoy this very much, but I must admit that I wear the original Boudoir more.

Let it Rock by Vivienne Westwood

Not sure why this perfume merits the highly negative first review. It's in the same family as Byzance or Cinnabar, but is far more day-friendly. I find the combination of freesia, rose and patchouli to be refreshing. It smells a bit like an English garden after a very heavy rain... the mud and earthyness mixed in with the lovely flowers breathing out in relief. Fantastic!

Adesor's avatar

Hong Kong Hong Kong

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

Absolutely timeless and wonderful!

I am wearing it for the last 7 years. Smells fresh and woody. Great opening. The top notes are great but unfortunately are gone right away you put it on. However the Vetiver can last for several hours.
    I wear it both in summer and winter and I have a dry skin...

Eau Sauvage is non-aggressive, Gentlemanly masculine, and non disturbing to people around you, and yet makes it presence notable.

A masterpiece!!!

Sensitive Girl's avatar

White Patchouli by Tom Ford

I'm not particularly fond of White Patchouli on its own BUT mixed with Black Orchid, it really makes for a beautiful scent. I love it for the mixture with Black Orchid.

Zabby's avatar

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

A friend was wearing this the other day and I actually wanted to avoid hugging him. I don't belive that it doesn't have carrots in it, as it smells so much of them to me!

ubergeek's avatar

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

This fragrance really does not work. I can see what Chanel were trying to do from a marketing standpoint -- create a lightweight, summer version of Allure Homme -- but in retrospect maybe it wasn't such a good idea. While you can definitely trace the lineage to Allure Homme, Allure Homme Edition Blanche has none of the balance and structure that made the original great. Too much lemon and ginger along with a faint petrochemical note make Edition Blanche smell too much like furniture polish in my book. Maybe not Pledge, but Hawes Lemon Oil springs to mind.

desmondpereira's avatar

Trussardi Inside Man by Trussardi

I've just sprayed myself all over with this very elegant fragrance and so far, can definitely say that it's a subtle, elegant, mature, unobtrusive and very masculine scent that most men would be happy to wear without drawing too much attention.

It seems very well-balanced, harmonious and not overpowering which makes it suitable for the office/work or a sombre occasion.

The bottle is quite unique and elegantly designed with a generous spritzer as well.

I personally prefer louder fragrances like the original Trussardi Uomo, but this is an essential for those quieter moments.

I smell the coffee, leather, woods and the bergamot and yuzu dissipate quickly, so the sensual drydown is quite prominent although less sexual than Uomo.

It smells exactly like BalMan by Pierre Balmain.

This is a good male wardrobe must-have.

JaimeB's avatar

Géranium pour Monsieur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Fresh, spicy, resinous, with a good drydown of musk and resins. Good for fair cool to warm weather and an upbeat mood. This has a pretty good longevity on my skin, as well as a moderate sillage. For me, this is not the best of the Frédéric Malle line, but that's because my taste runs to heavier, more complex scents. For what it is, this is very well-balanced and well-constructed fragrance.

kewart's avatar

October by Neil Morris Fragrances

This perfume deserves the first prize for the"Autumn in a bottle contest!"
    When you look at the notes it's easy to see why. Who could resist
    caramelised apples, pine, pumkin, bitter orange, cinnamon and the combined
    richness of frankincense and myrrh? Not me, that's for sure. These notes have been
    the backdrop to this cool, October day and have accompanied me like a comfort blanket,
    as I go about my daily life. I feel sure this scent is going to become very special to me.

cpk's avatar

Greece Greece

Fougère Bengale by Parfum d'Empire

After a cursory first contact with this perfume I felt a very strong attraction although I could not figure out what I liked exactly. What stayed in my memory was a very warm, herbal aroma.
    Later I had the opportunity to try it with a generous spray in a perfume shop. Initially, what surprised me is a touch of vinegar, that others might describe as chutney. Coriander can often create such a sour topnote or basil. What dominates the heart of the perfume is a very faithful reproduction of the scent of tobacco leaf. Immortelle? Although not mentioned in the note pyramid I can clearly understand the affinity (notes from http://www.parfyym.pri.ee/. : Topnotes: lavender, Heartnotes: tonka beans, tobacco, spices, laurel, Basenotes: mint, moss, ginger, patchouli, gingerbread)
    But what was revealed in the drydown of the scent was really a surprise. It is the most faithful reproduction of a natural scent that I associate with summer holidays: the smell of wet straw, whether it is in a straw mat stretched on the sand on a beach, or in a straw hat or a wicker chair that was left exposed to the humid night air. It is a very characteristic odor, herbal and totally unique. If this means anything to you, try FB. Well worth it.

gupts's avatar

India India

Porsche Design Essence by Porsche

This smells like a myriad of cheap Armani run of the mill scents out there. Needless to say, extremely synthetic.
    No wonder it's highly discounted and despite that hardly finds any takers. I'll be happy to buy their 911 though :-)

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Lapidus pour Homme by Ted Lapidus

Wow! This is good stuff, if you like rose and patchouli and honey that is. It reminds me of Acteur from Azzaro though they are not similar at all: they both transport me to India almost instantly. What it is similar to is Calvin by Calvin Klein, another awesome oldie though pricey and hard to find. Calvin is decidedly cleaner and a bit blue, while Lapidus is red, dark red. Lapidus is very strong, manly and deep, perfect for a winter fragrance thats different from the usual fall/winter spice and pine sort.

If you are into sillage and presence, and want something somewhat unique considering current offerings, Lapidus is your frag. The price is very attractive as well.

odysseusm's avatar

Scent Intense by Costume National

Intensely sweet, quite sugary. Very floral, with hints of smoke. A clean bright amber base.
    I don’t like sweet, super-floral, or amber so that’s all I have to say.

17 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 21st November, 2009)

odysseusm's avatar

Calvin Klein Man by Calvin Klein

This is an odd, irritating and disappointing scent. It has a list of potentially attractive notes, but it fails to capitalize on them. On me, it is a thick, sweet, clumpy, heavy, cloying and muddled mess. Top notes – non-existent. Mid notes – vague spice, that’s about all. Base – vague woods. Those wood notes in particular are a disappointment. They smell about as natural as a cartoon of a laboratory. Little that is pleasant here, nothing I can endorse. Scrubber and a waste of time.

Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

Monsieur de Givenchy clone with little strength or lasting power. The only thing Armani has on MdG is it lacks the dry, austere rose blast in the opening. Otherwise, I would get Givenchy.

Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron

BpH is a nice solid 90s citrus with a rose accord that gives it an Edwardian flair as well as some indolic jasmine and oakmoss that give it a touch of midcentury Roudnitska masterpiece. Boucheron is a quality fragrance that blends the lines between the turn of the century, midcentury art deco, as well as modern designer. A solid fragrance altogether, but the sillage and longevity are poor at least in the EdT version. Buy it if you can!

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Sweat? I think not, but urinal cake, bathroom cleaner, I think so. I disagree with Turin’s assessment that Kouros is the smell of a gentleman wearing a pre-WWI dandified British concoction. This is one of those some love it, some hate it fragrances. I hate it. Even the pointless flankers like Body Kouros and Kouros Sport are better.

Nobile by Gucci

Should have been called Gucci Woods. The opening is an aromatic fougere with a generous helping of spices that reminds me of the soapy opening of Safari for Men, but after this, it quickly digresses to a mélange of woods particularly cedar, sandalwood, and pine from which there is no return. The sillage and longevity is immense, which is Nobile’s only positive quality. If only the top notes never faded…

play's avatar

Set Sail South Seas for Men by Tommy Bahama

Tangy flowery rum. Very fresh and unusual. I don't think there is anything remotely similar. OK longevity. Kudos to TB for creating this.

cid1204's avatar

Czech Republic Czech Republic

Ungaro III by Ungaro

This is also my blind purchase, because in stores it cannot be found. First blast reminded me little bit Denim, which my father used when I was young. But Ungaro III is really complex scent with beautiful drydown. I usually don’t look for a perfumer who made the fragrance, but in this case it is obvious that these noses made most of the production of Chanel and Dior, so I start to understand how this could be so good. Longevity is great. Before I went to sleep I applied III on my wrist and after nine hours of sleep I still feel this beautiful drydown. This one is true masterpiece!

SirSlarty's avatar

J'Adore by Christian Dior

I'd say, a very linear, very straightforward, very good bright floral with small aldehydic facets and a fat yet quiet fruity note right in the middle. Very nice since some white florals get too screechy and harsh. Not too loud and subtlety sometimes can make something more alluring. Really enjoy the musk.

SirSlarty's avatar

Monsieur Carven by Carven

Civet, to some, it's not fun but here it's so nice that it's pleasing. The combination of moss and the civet almost gives this a powdery soap feel. The clean gentleman's fragrance of yesteryear. Lasts long and the top (aromtic spicy) to the bottom drydown (mossy civet) is very addicting. Very complex scent but the basics I described is my take on it. I don't get much of the florals. It's the overall effect that really makes this wonderful.

thatsmr2usir's avatar

Nautica Oceans by Nautica

I sampled this when it first came out. Would I buy it? Probably not, is it a bad fragrance? Of course not! Would I wear it if I recieved it as a gift? Yes! This is a very nice clean smell, stays close to the skin & last about 4-6 hours on the skin! Great for HOT days! Not the best aquatic, but it deserves a chance just like the rest. I would recommend to those who like close to the skin, clean, fresh, soapy scents!

17 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 11th November, 2009)

Lime, Basil & Mandarin by Jo Malone

Jo Malone Lime Basil & Mandarin EDC

Notes: lime, mandarin, basil, white thyme (from jomalone.com)

Upon first application of Lime Basil & Mandarine, surprise of surprises, I smell lime, basil and mandarin. The mandarin is very subtle, bowing to the more prominent lime citrus note, which is tangy and bitter, more like lime rind than the fruit. The herbal component is obviously more than just basil, although the basil note is very minty, leafy and somewhat juicy. Along with the basil is something I was not expecting--cilantro, a.k.a. coriander leaf. Once LBM develops past the initial opening accord, the mandarin fades to almost nothing, and I feel as if I am covered in Cuban Mojo marinade sauce. (For those who are interested, my Mojo recipe includes lime juice, orange juice, olive oil, fresh cilantro, salt, pepper and garlic.) I was wondering where the garlic might be in LBM. I never encountered any, but I did notice a curious fenugreek funk in the mid notes. I was wavering between loving and hating the fragrance because of its obvious foody connotations. In the end decided that LBM is a thoroughly enjoyable herbal cologne, with a lovely creamy, woody amber-musk drydown and some kind of mossy ingredient that keeps the base from being too sweet. For an EDC, the longevity has been very good, around five hours. Sillage is moderate. Lime Basil & Mandarin is wearable for both men and women, but edges more toward the masculine.

Orange Blossom by Jo Malone

Jo Malone Orange Blossom EDC

Notes: clementine leaves, orange blossom, water lily (from jomalone.com)

Orange Blossom starts with juicy sweet orange, bergamot and orange blossom. The combination is classic and a tad soapy, however, there is an unexpectedly tenacious indolic edge to the orange blossom which keeps the fragrance from being too clean. The indoles are rather fecal in this composition, and at first adds a welcome complexity to a fragrance that would otherwise be very dull. Unfortunately, after a bright beginning, all the tangy, sweet, creamy qualities fade away, the fragrance loses its balance, and turns into a screechy white floral with fecal notes that challenge the most die-hard civet lover. The indole in OB does not develop the way natural indoles would, so the accord never loses its rawness. That is to say, OB smells strongly of bleu cheese crumbles, mothballs and urine from start to finish. When there is nothing left to balance and blend with the indoles, OB is not enjoyable anymore. Longevity is too long, all things considered--the indoles are going strong after six hours. Sillage is surprisingly strong, perhaps not a good thing. I am convinced the only way to wear this fragrance is to layer it, probably with another Jo Malone offering.

Pomegranate Noir by Jo Malone

Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir EDC

Notes: raspberry, plum, pink pepper, pomegranate, patchouli, frankincense, spicy woods (from jomalone.com)

I have smelled pomegranates before--fruit, seed, juice and also oil pressed from the seeds. None of what I have smelled from real pomegranate smells like Pomegranate Noir. What I do smell is a very heavy spicy accord of cinnamon, clove, cardamom and cedar wood. If there is any fruit here, it is completely overwhelmed. The fragrance is not really dark as in "noir", but it is rather heavy compared to many other Jo Malone fragrances, and it is a bit sickening due to its poorly judged proportion of spice. In other words, PN lacks complexity, deftness and balance. Despite the heavy spice accord and woody notes, there is no real substance to speak of. If hamster cages were lined with cinnamon along with the typical cedar shavings, this is what it would smell like. It is a scrubber.

White Jasmine & Mint by Jo Malone

Jo Malone White Jasmine & Mint EDC

Notes: jasmine, lily, orange flower, rose, mint (from jomalone.com)

Yes, White Jasmine & Mint contains MINT--creamy, slightly cooling, on the verge of being edible, but thankfully not like any toothpaste I've ever encountered. The jasmine note is rather abstract. In fact, Jo Malone's own Orange Blossom smells more of jasmine than WJM does. Later in the development, some of the same orange blossom note used in Orange Blossom EDC comes forth, and is substantially more subtle here than in OB. Overall the fragrance is pleasant--light, rather clean for a jasmine fragrance, and a tad soapy. WJM is incredibly short lived with very little sillage. It is a great alternative to the scads of "clean" scents on the market, but is still a bit of a wallflower fragrance. Its ability to stay in the background and not make much of a statement could work for some who are tired of fragrances like Bulgari Eau Parfumee au The Vert.

mediterranean's avatar

Spain Spain

Parisienne by Yves Saint Laurent

Soft and nice.Blv II, Guerlain´s Idylle, and Parissiene, my favourite releases this autumn.

ZeeK's avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

Artisan by John Varvatos

Much much better, distinct & modern then "now-a-days" linear & plain citrus offerings.... Starts off with a very natural aroma of oranges that ends up with dry woods fragrance.

I dont think its summer specific.. it can be used at various occassions and for any season...

If i would rank JV's then...
    1. Vintage
    2. Artisan
    3. John Varvatos

Quite subtle but noticable, lasting has no complaints 6+ even more with me!

The bottle is also a great charm for collectors!