Fragrance Reviews from October 2009

hester's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Alien Sunessence by Thierry Mugler

oooooh lovely!! I spritzed this on one wrist, flower by kenzo EDT florale (or whatever the new floral edt is called), and they're very similar indeed, the alien just has much more staying power, and the flower more neroli up top. I hate the original Alien, it is much too much of whatever's in there, but this version I can spray tons of and it never becomes overpowering. Soft, floral, white and clean but always still interesting. A winner!

Asha's avatar

Hypnôse by Lancôme

Lancome Hypnose EDP

Notes: Passion Flower, Sambac Jasmine, Solar Notes, Vetiver, Vanilla (from osmoz.com)

Hypnose starts with a quick blast of bergamot and tropical fruit notes, and quickly transitions into a powdery vanilla and white floral middle. There is a sweet and tart juxtaposition that is often found in feminine floral orientals of the same era--it is usually somewhat candy-like, although in Hypnose, this combination does not come across as particularly edible. Vetiver is listed in the notes, however, I do not smell anything that resembles the vetiver essential oils I have experienced. I'm pretty sure there is actually a cleaned-up vetiver and patchouli combination in Hypnose, because the fragrance has a kind of masculine "bite" in the base that is similar to other post-Angel floral orientals.. In fact, as I was catching whiffs of sillage today, I noticed that Hypnose has a kind of barbershop quality that I never noticed before. In contrast, up close, the overall impression is billowy sweet vanilla, as feminine as it could possibly be. The base continues with sweet, soft vanilla, a nondescript amber accord and the vetiver-patchouli. I know that Hypnose is not universally liked, but I have always found it very enjoyable. It is not quite as "girly" as some floral orientals, and pulls the Angel-like feminine-over-masculine structure down to an palatable level. Perhaps this makes Hypnose more bland, but it also makes it more wearable.

18th October, 2009 (Last Edited: 05th November, 2009)

Imprévu by Coty

So many girls in high school used to wear this. It was real nice and pleasant to smell. Gosh, it brings back many memories of some pretty "hot" times. Too bad it was discontinued because so often many frags can withstand the test of time......Imprevu is one of those frags!!

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

Classy, rich, manly, and subtle. i still like it after 23 years on the market.

Brit for Men by Burberry

To me, this smells like a bug repellent. Nothing more to say about it.

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

This scent is pleasant to wear in the begining after application but the longevity is so short. On me anyway, it lasts less than 1 hour. Afterwards, it smells like a carpenter with perspiration odor. Almost embarrassing! If I want to smell this way all I need to do is work out at the gym for an hour. I'd say it's a useless fragrance because it serves no purpose.....:"neither here nor there".

Pollux's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Trophée Lancôme by Lancôme

Let's say that this one is on the vein of Lancôme's Ô (1969): of course, Trophèe's top notes are more masculine in character, but both have extremely similar drydowns. The structure, as mentioned by most, is that of a green chypre, this meaning the presence of crisp hesperidic accords morphing into indolic / musky notes. It is precisely these basenotes the attribute that lets Ô be considered a unisex scent - when smelt in a strip of paper, people asked wonder about its character. In general, they perceive it as femenine-like due to a sweetnes present in the top notes, an attribute that is absent in Trophèe's top notes.

I must mention that the olfactive structure of Trophèe is also quite similar to that of Homme de Gres.

the_tourist's avatar

Original Vetiver by Creed

The comparison to Mugler's Cologne seems unavoidable. However I find Creed's Original Vetiver to be much creamier (prominence of sandalwood), and less sharp/citrusy than the Mugler.

AnimaSola's avatar

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

This is a very aromatic scent. It is not as brash and loud as the fans, or the detractors might lead you to believe. It reminds me of Michael Kors, but more toned-down and sophisticated...I'd never imagine that could be possible. The interplay of the smoky/minty/citrus-like notes is captivating and unique. Elegant incense is what my mind tells me I smell. Dirty English is a singular fragrance.

Balvon's avatar

Lithuania Lithuania

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

A classic fragrance for sophisticated men with good taste.

Alcar's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

This is magnificient. I think Terre d'Hermes is as impressive as the one Jean-Baptiste Grenouille used in the final scenes =)

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Ridiculously complex and beautiful. I really can't do it justice. It's wonderful.

Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Another excellent scent from Serge Lutens. A beautiful smoky concoction, like perfumed leaves on an autumn bonfire. The honey in the drydown veers fairly close to Miel de Bois, which might put some people off but it's never as aggressive as that and it certainly doesn't bear the infamous urine comparisons of that either. The first time I tried this, I thought it was merely nice but too smoky and a little harsh. Since then I've fallen in love with it.

Cèdre by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Second time around, I love this. It is sweet, yes but it's deep and somewhat complex. The sweetness is never excessive nor dominating and the resinous wood balances it perfectly. Serge Lutens has become, by far, my favourite house.

queen cupcake's avatar

Le Feu D'Issey by Issey Miyake

I wanted so much to like this fragrance after reading reviews here. I have a lot of respect for Asha's and Somerville Metro Man's views. And vic2007, odd is a kind word for how this one strikes me. Alas for me, the putrid phase never passed. I've tried it several times now, and on my skin, this scent sends out pickled peppers, then Vick's cough drops. From there, I get something vaguely interesting like blackberry jam but also plastic or mimeograph fluid. Only readers of a certain age will recognize the latter reference. ;-) Using up the last bit of my Issey sample vial, I sprayed my left arm with it. On my right arm, L'Artisan Perfumuer's Piment Brulant. I mean, if it's pepper you want, that's the one to try. One and a half hours later, the Issey is wafting something like the cough drop with a little vanilla, maybe some rose, and something I cannot identify but don't like. The Piment Brulant is still sending out the chili pepper vibe, along with something less sweet than Le Feu. Admittedly, I am not a very sophisticated or experienced sniffer--give me some time. I understand that Le Feu D'Issey is currently discontinued. This does not break my heart. Now I have to go scrub my left arm. I will, however, look into trying other creations by Issey Miyake.

Habit Rouge by Guerlain

HABIT ROUGE EDC opens with a citrus and spice mix which conveys a similar vintage vibe as Dior's Eau Sauvage. As the lemon recedes the rose joins the vanilla to take centrestage. And this is where it gets disappointingly bad for me. I'm a fan of sweet scents but the sweetness I get here feels watery, a little sickly even and certainly not what I would expect from the same nose who created the vibrantly sublime Spiritueuse Double Vanille. Some two hours later, 'sickly' turns to 'decay' and my nose wrinkles up at a moist, earthy faintly fecal note. Ugh. I don't get it - why would anyone want to smell like they had just stepped on a pile of manure?

I must confess I did try to appreciate this classic or at least remain neutral. But I can't. Either they had screwed up the original formula big time or I'm just not a fan of dirty earthy fragrances. Habit Rouge is one big royal mess to me. No offense to those who find this one charming but if I were on the lookout for an elegant fragrance, a sickly sweet scent that literally decomposes on my skin would be the last thing on my mind.

Fahrenheit 32 by Christian Dior

While Fahrenheit is the unrepentant rabble-rousing rebel rocker, FAHRENHEIT 32 is the younger step-brother with an identity crisis. He can't seem to decide if he should major in herbals or vanilla and ends up failing at both miserably, coming across as uncertain, unimaginative, even weak. Other than the name, 32 just doesn't have the pedigree of the original to qualify as a bona fide flanker and reeks rather strongly of 'exploitation'. I think it's time to ditch this coat tail rider.

Dior Homme Cologne by Christian Dior

Did the original Dior Homme by Olivier Polge really need a reworking just 2 years into its release (as some parties had claimed)? I think it was more a case of product extension i.e. a sales & marketing strategy. To me this is just a less powdery and less sweet version of the original. With the amber and cocoa left out of the heart, it also comes across as more floral and I find this aspect appealing. But replacing the opening lavender with citrus makes no real difference to me nor should it since the top fades away after 5 minutes anyway. And as palatable as DIOR HOMME COLOGNE is, its shorter lifespan and the absence of a drydown further reinforce its image as a poor man's version of Dior Homme. Rather unfortunate.

's avatar

Pure Poison by Christian Dior

Of all the Poison line this one is my favorite. It is subtle and elegant with excellent longevity a great skin scent.

scents_lover's avatar

Idole d'Armani by Giorgio Armani

I really love the smell. Not too strong and it stay and smell goods on my skin.

Black lily's avatar

Eau de Galliano by John Galliano

John Galliano's first perfume for women is as complex and creative as the man himself. It's a floral aldehyde but like a prism it changes at every twist and turn.First impression is definitely and aldehyde with a hint of Chanel No 5 with the iris and bergamot, then comes the powdery scent of powder puffs with the violet and rose as if you just stepped into a showgirls powderroom, then there's the intoxicating scent of musk, amber and a sensual woody undertone like an 18th century boudoir.
    The bottle itself reminds me of one of Galliano's gowns with the glass twisted and moulded to look like cinched gothic ballgown in fuschia and black adorned with a gold rose.John Galliano's first perfume has taken us from the catwalk to your dresser. You may not be able to afford a Gallliano creation but at least you can loose yourself in the aroma of one.

Obsession by Calvin Klein

This is one of the few scents I instantly hated intensely, so much so that I lived a cliche and ran straight to the tap to wash it the hell off of me. Off, off, off, foul stench! Unfortunately, I sprayed it on in the car in a fury of excitement-- fueled by the many positive reviews on Basenotes, I might add! -- and had to suffer through the nauseating olfactory extravaganza that is Obsession all the way home. Spicy, insouciantly creamy, musky, oriental, with huge dollops of vanilla and incense and musk and ambergis and what is that godawful smell and why do I keep sniffing it in an attempt to figure it out or see if it's gone yet, dear god?? Will a fragrance doctor please school me on what makes this so hideous?

Contrary to many of the reviews here, it did not smell old to me at all, mostly because my father never voluntarily wore fragrances, and when he did at my mom's insistence, is was CK Be shower gel. Obsession just smelled WOMANLY to me. I can't imagine how this would smell on a real, true, honest to god man. Probably amazing on the right man, now that I reflect....it's so heady and spicy, and did I mention creamy? This is the smell of an old lady covered in gold and diamonds and a vintage Chanel suit with hat and gloves to boot. Gah! Get its mothballed splendour off of me!

I will say this, in an effort to inject SOME objectivity into this review: It is excessively well crafted. It smells distinctly refined, expensive, luxurious, and mysterious. It is a heady bouquet of oriental musk that lasts forever, projects to the nth degree, and develops into different stages...stages I admit I was unwilling to follow till the end. Which is a lot to say for something plucked from the discount bin at Ross.

Overall: CREAMY. SPICY. And on my skin, HIDEOUS.

English Leather Lime by Dana

Personally, I rather love this. It does not smell anywhere near as cheap nor as old as you'd expect. Especially since I bought a 0.5 ml bottle for 99 cents at the 99 cents only store. Yes, you heard me, 99 cents. It smells well-formulated and delightful to me - happy, fresh, limey, lively, clean, and simply yummy. Unfortunately, it literally lasts about a minute or two on my skin, if that. But at that price, I just keep splashing it on. It's nice for an at-home "I want to smell clean but I don't want to waste a nice scent" day. I used to splash some on after a particularly smelly lunch, too. Made me feel as if I'd just showered. Very simple. Complex? Base notes? Nyet. It's lime in a cologne. End of story.

Silver Black / Onyx by Azzaro

This smells exactly like Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme and/or La Nuit de L'Homme, minus the spicy, mysterious, sexy, and more expensive/well-crafted vibe. Which is to say, pretty darn good for a nice, cheap bottle. Kind of like a steak at Norm's or Denny's compared to a good old-fashioned steakhouse (not Ruth's Chris or Las Vegas' Nine, mind you -- I'm not saying YSL L'Homme is the be all end all -- just that Azzaro Onyx smells somewhat like it in a cheaper way).

Overall, it smells good, but it could smell better. In fact, Azzaro Onyx finally schooled me on why the snobs on this site so utterly detest L'Homme -- it dries down to a very generic "vanilla" base that does smell good, but seems, after you've tried different scents, to be somewhat boring. It's odd why something that smells good -- vanilla! -- should be so very bland and dull in the end. I guess that's the definition of vanilla! Perhaps Azzaro Onyx and YSL L'Homme are merely stepping stones on to something better and more interesting. Still -- not bad for what it is! Save your bucks and buy this instead of YSL L'Homme.

Romance for Men by Ralph Lauren

one of the best perfumes ever made...MASTERPIECE!!!..RL Romance for men is sexy and yes true romantic and only made for true romantic hearted people......

WEARBLE DAYTIME AND NIGHT +A

Lacoste pour Homme by Lacoste

MASTERPIECE!!!...........good perfume for men.......

WEARABLE DAYIME/NIGHT +A

Boss in Motion by Hugo Boss

one of the best perfumes ever made...MASTERPIECE!!!...thumbs up :)

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

MASTERPIECE!!!.......sexy playful warm and an intelligent scent.......thumbs up

Romance Silver Men by Ralph Lauren

MASTERPIECE!!!...like the original romance...i also like this (upgrade)...like my other perfumes...i got alot of exciting escapades and memories with this perfume hehhehe...............:)

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

MASTERPIECE!!!...good perfume for men...:)