Fragrance Reviews from October 2009

hamthrower's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I want to love it, but I can't. Of course, it doesn't smell bad but "Cool water" is in a better price range although the package is simply awesome

scipioafricanus's avatar

Polo by Ralph Lauren

Excellent and powerful. When I sprayed this I felt like I was walking through a rich, green forest with a bit of dirt on the leaves. A warmth surrounds you when you wear this and, though I feel a little old fashioned, I also feel individual and distinctive. Thats the key to this fragrance I believe, now I am younger than this fragrance created in 1978, however it posesses a strength and subtly that I have found lacking in my so far brief adventures into modern fragrances. After experiencing this fragrance I smelled some of the other ones I owned, one I'd blind pruchased was D&G Light Blue Pour Homme, when first I smelt this fragrance I thought it was a nice clean fragrance I'd be happy to wear on any occasion, now all I smell is wet and weak and can't stand to look at the bottle. Polo has revolutionised my nose.

Word of advice, be light with this one, I often experince the temptation to drown myself, but with this one you go to heavy and you'll echo down the street (not in a good way).

To put it simply, pinocchio wanted to be a real boy, I would have handed him a bottle of Polo and said "why don't you bcome a real man?".

jetrone's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I was just blown away, I am a fragrance noob, but this is just smells wonderful to me. These kind of frangrance comes once in a blue moon to me, and it was an instant purchase. No matter how long I sniff it, it doesn't give me that annoying headache, which I get from most fragrances I tried. I definitely love this cent to death and will be a permanent part of my collection.

undeadrogue's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Hugo by Hugo Boss

my opinion 2bad really....you should try b4 buy it.i ordered it from a site.every1 likes it but i dont like it!!!! i wont buy again perfume by user comments!!!

laurent's avatar

Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Uncharted by Crabtree & Evelyn

Well this will not break eather your bank account or you nose buds !!!

However this is a well done fresh/sweet modern fragrance - uncomplicated -

Easy going and even sporty street style

Long lasting cherfull little number

A true Sunday escape - old jeans and snickers !!!

Caltha's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Un Jardin Après La Mousson by Hermès

I'm sure this is a "good" scent. It smells sophisticated, not cheap, and it has some really nice woody/warm basenotes similar to those in Un Jardine Mediterranee. The problem is, the scent is just one, huge, monstrous MELON and I just can't stand synthetic melon scents or flavours. They make my stomach turn. As far as synthetic melon scents go, this one is surprisingly decent, but it's still synthetic melon so it's a no-no for me. Melon fans might like to try it - I'm grateful if you weat this rather than some even worse melon scents, but please do so sparingly!

Sugandaraja's avatar

Pour Un Homme by Caron

A pleasantly intense burst of herbal lavender in the top, bordering on pine-like and minty, and a touch of civet bridging to a softly spicy and powdery tonka bean base. Like many classic masculine EdT's, it's a little top-heavy, and its initial intensity goes soft quickly and it becomes faint and undetectable long before I'd like it to. Still, if you like a light, classical, beautifully composed men's fragrance, Pour Un Homme is sure to please.

As for me... I'd love either an EdP or parfum version!

Morgaine's avatar

Messe de Minuit by Etro

Tinny, thin, screechy orange on top which is then taken over by a more tolerable incense-y thing. I can see the appeal, but something in this really disagrees with me. It feels too pointy, too sharply aggressive to be on my skin.

Bigsly's avatar

Anthracite by Jacomo

This is a statement about this fragrance from 1991 (I think it's from a press release): "The women's fragrance is a floral-fruity blend which has a mandarine top note and fruity notes of taget and plum. Heart notes are lily of the valley, ylang ylang, spicy rose and jasmine with base notes of cedarwood, amber, sandalwood and musk."

I don't get much of the fruitiness that is supposed to be here, except as part of the overall blend. What is strong is the "spicy rose," which comes across as quite geranium-oriented to me. I'm surprised that there is no moss/oakmoss note listed for the base. I could see how some might find this a bit "soapy" or "powdery" (not in an iris/orris way, though). The floral geranium quality, along with the somewhat "hard" base make this potentially "unisex." I don't like musky fougeres with strong geranium, but I do enjoy this one once in a while, perhaps because I really dislike the lavender/geranium combination. It softens up enough to allow me to appreciate the complexity. Longevity and sillage are good (I have the EdT). Note that some men seem to have purchased this one instead of the men's version by mistake.

judybanks90's avatar

Pua kenikeni by Royal Hawaiian Perfumes

Pua Kenikeni is Wonderful! I get so many compliments on its scent, I wish Royal Hawaiian would make some more and Hurry it along! This is the kind of scent everyone will LOVE Day or Night!!! If anyone knows where to find some PLEASE LET ME KNOW! Thank You!

adowds's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Sacrebleu by Nicolaï

Just OK. Although it's sweet and faintly (femininely) floral there's enough jasmine here to make me feel that I could carry it off. To me Sacreblue smells like soapy jasmine bubblegum, not unlike many of the soap bars one can find in LUSH (handmade cosmetics chain store).

20th October, 2009 (Last Edited: 21st October, 2009)

Andyjreid's avatar

Scotland Scotland

Original Santal by Creed

Right, firstly, I know a lot of Creeds come under scrutiny for being like/being worse than a smell-a-like but I tried this on today and all I smelt for the majority of the day was Joop!. Not a smell like Joop! but a smell that is so similar to Joop! I couldn't tell the difference. Joop! is very loud and tenacious and you can smell sillage from miles away, similarly with this.

Longevity issues? Are you kidding? Currently at 10 hours and still going strong, now just smells like Joop! layered with the Creed house note of amber.

Other Creed smell-a-likes I have been able to pass because I consider the Creeds to be of a greater quality but I can't let Creed have this one.

I wish I had "longevity issues" with this but I don't.

I smell like a pre-pubescent teen at a school disco.

Dr_Rudi's avatar

Vetyver by Nicolaï

Spicy - yes. Dirty - no; earthy perhaps. Think Lemongrass seasoning. Longevity - poor. It's a fine fragrance - just not one I'd buy, and that's reflected in my rating.

Balvon's avatar

Lithuania Lithuania

Everlast Original 1910 by Everlast

Everlast Original 1910
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Thumbs up!

20th October, 2009 (Last Edited: 31st January, 2010)

Bartlebooth's avatar

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

It’s been a good fifteen years since I used Fahrenheit, and sampling it again today has brought up mixed emotions. The strong sense of camphor that existed back in the late eighties has been tamed, and I find that this latest formulation is indeed more wearable that the original. Looking at the pyramid, it certainly does not do justice to the final product currently residing on my wrist. I find the overall effect addictive in the same way that I always enjoy smelling petroleum, or creosote. My problem is not with the product itself, it is the mass appeal of it, for me it is handicapped by its ubiquity. Perhaps on days when I am enjoying my own company, I shall reach for this and marvel at its simple quality.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Acqua Fiorentina by Creed

The initial phase is delightful, a blend of floral, fruit and citrus notes, providing a naturally sweet and uplifting experience. The plum note is especially noticeable, and it is during this period that the fragrance works best. Once you get into the heart notes, the sweetness intensifies, and the general balance feels wrong. The resulting melee is borderline nauseating, and it is a stage that continues for several hours. Only when the potency has started to wane, do you become aware of the cedar and sandalwood elements creating a warm and engaging accord. There are moments of real beauty here, but far too few to make up for the general feeling of disappointment.

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

CK Free by Calvin Klein

I'm proud of my skin on which scents seem to last even when on most of people don't. But this, this has such a pathetic longevity. It's gone in 10 minutes. Yes, you've read it right. Sillage? No sillage. The smell itself? Generic. A waste. CK should be ashamed. Obviously this house is without pride, this scent is a proof.

20th October, 2009 (Last Edited: 18 January, 2010)

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

The first whiff is nothing short of a 'WOW!' Kudos to Roudnitska for the purported use of hédione to add extra zest for this is arguably the best citrus opening bar none. Unfortunately for me that is the best part of EAU SAUVAGE, all 15 minutes of it. I don't get any florals, not even a fleeting note of jasmine, just a mossy herbal mixture with a rather dated, musty feel - a strong vintage vibe reminding me of the scent's history as a fragrance favored by gentlemen circa 1960s-70s. Alas, the much talked-about charms of Eau Sauvage escape me. Perhaps another 5-10 years may grant me the insights to fully appreciate such a well loved classic.

muskydusky's avatar

Jovan Musk for Men by Jovan

Warm, spicy musk dry down thats soothing, a bit surreal. Close your eyes and smile. A wrist sniffer. This is a must try. Don't be fooled by the price, its only inexpensive because it has poor longevity. But when its around, Jovan Musk is amazing. Musk influences mood. Positively.

Shalimar by Guerlain

First smelled this on the dresser of my great-grandmother. She was a cool chick. Wore high heels and red lipstick into her 90's. Had a fabulous collection of art deco jewelry. I'm sure she started wearing Shalimar when it first came out. I can remember taking the bottle off of her dresser, uncapping it, and drawing the scent in with long, deep breaths. It lingered on the collar and cuffs of her fur coats.

For me, Jicky and Shalimar are complimentary fragrances. I wear Jicky for social occasions when I want a hint of that "bad girl" civet and Shalimar to church or for professional occasions. I'm a Guerlain addict.

Orange Blossom by Jo Malone

I agree with Quarry. I like layering Orange Blossom over Narcisse Noir if I want to wear NN during the day. Citrus scents can be tricky to me. Sometimes the "straightforward, uncomplicated" ones end up smelling like my memory of Love's Lemon (everyone remembers this classic from junior high!) or Lemon Pledge. Orange Blossom has, to my nose, more of the soft round scent of the blossom rather than the agressively stringent scent of the fruit.

Perfect Night by Bella Bellissima

I agree with Ostranha. This is an aggressively sexual scent. I only wear it at home when my man is coming over! If the civet note in Jicky offends you, don't even sample this one. It reminds me of the the skit on Saturday Night Live when the little Catholic girl would stick her fingertips under her underarms and them sniff the scent of nervous sweat! I'm a civet fan, so I appreciate Perfect Night, but this is not for public consumption!!

dolcetto23's avatar

Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligon's

I'm an Englishwoman, and I love this scent. I think it's VERY sexy on a man. A certain amount of formality can be extremely sexy, don't you know . . .

dolcetto23's avatar

En Passant by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I love this scent - it's very true-to-life lilacy, it takes you on a walk past big heavy-blossomed lilac bushes at their peak on a day when the sun's come out after a shower. You can smell the leaves and the damp earth as well as the flowers. Very evocative and touching. The only reason I don't own it is because it fades so fast on my skin. Does anyone know of a lilac that lasts?

narual's avatar

Fuel for Men / DK Men by Donna Karan

I suspect some of these confused reviews probably aren't for DK Men or Fuel for Men -- they're referring to the "Unleaded" version of DK Men, which was not brought back when the "leaded" version was.

DK Men was the best. I'm glad they brought it back.. I've been living on little sample bottles purchased at 15-20 bucks a pop. But then, just before I bought a new bottle, I found the bottle I thought I'd lost years ago, almost full. :) I'd bought 4 bottles at the DK store in an outlet mall when they were half price for being discontinued.

perree's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

smells like wart removal creme .... nasty and irky

the orange top note is okay but the dry down is nasty like hell. the sillage killed anyone that's unfortunate enough to walk past me, sheez i felt sorry for them.

my dog doesn't sneeze on this smell so i suppose it's alrite

****After 1/2 a bottle used, this shiz grew on me. I really like the Terre coming outta my skin, when my just bathed clean skin heats the fragrance, it wafts mellowly in the air. The smell is freshhh, clean, and quite sexy (like you break open a shrink-wrapped christmas gift and inside is a really big tasty luscious c*ck waiting to be polished like a lollipop, as my gf described it, i have no intention in thinkin of such image)

it smells better on my skin rather a shirt, may be it's a chemistry factor.

Overall i can't believe I used to hate this bottle so much I wanna resale it on Ebay, now I can't get enuff of it. Maybe a Concentree ed. after this EDT.

20th October, 2009 (Last Edited: 21st December, 2010)

1881 pour Femme by Cerruti

Citrus and green opening – quite sharp and not clear enough to be interesting. So I decide to wait… to pay attention to catch what it does as it develops. But it doesn’t really travel very far. The sharpness is reduced somewhat except for the violet note in the bouquet, but the fragrance retains its aggressive, sharp, unrefined character through its whole movement on my skin. The florals of the heart take over after the opening backs off a bit, but the fragrance hasn’t softened enough IMO. It never does soften to the point where I can respect it.

This doesn’t strike me as a very discriminating fragrance: it’s rather rough. The accords are sharply characterless.

Chaos by Donna Karan

I was expecting to love this one because of the many approving reviews and the several references to Black Cashmere, which is one of three fragrances of which I own more than one bottle (just in case…). But… love for Chaos didn’t happen… neither did “like.” On my skin Chaos is radically different from BC, it is also radically different from its performance on paper or cloth, and the differences do not extend in a good direction for me.

With the reissued Chaos on my skin, the opening reminds me of the spicy, resinous Black Cashmere for all of three seconds, but then, where BC stays incency, woody, spicy, and resinous, Chaos loses the resinousness and goes dry-fruity with a dull spice in the mixture. I’m not particularly impressed by this version of dry fruits – it’s almost a heretical parody of the dried fruit accord that I find so appealing in Arabie. I find this accord a turn-off, and it seems to stay on with the fragrance for way too long of time. The soft, dry, and indistinct musky / woody drydown comes off as unimpressive as the opening and heart of Chaos. Unlike BC, Chaos doesn’t have strong sillage off my skin and it has poor longevity.

On paper I get a completely different fragrance. The opening is effervescent with more than a hint of a pleasant boozy rum note: That didn’t happen on my skin, and it’s actually quite a delightful accord. The paper Chaos settles down to a soft, translucent abstract and sophisticated fruity middle which holds for a longer time than I was expecting… finally to finish off on a very nice and very light dry musk / sandalwood accord. There is an extremely soft resinous background to the entire run of the fragrance. Neither on the paper nor on my skin does Chaos remind me of Black Cashmere.

I am continually impressed by the differences in performance of fragrances on paper and on the skin: Chaos is an excellent fragrance that just doesn’t like my skin chemistry.

Enjoy by Jean Patou

Another fruity - floral: not my favorite category so that should be taken into consideration. Enjoy opens more fruity than floral and there’s a somewhat synthetic feel to the pear and citrus that take prominence for a short time. But a few minutes into the opening, the accord becomes more true… more natural: The accord evens out with the florals establishing more of a presence than they had in the very beginning. The movement into the heart level is smooth and seamless. The middle is a beautifully mixed floral with rose and jasmine presented in a soft but solid accord: By now the fruity elements of the opening are gone and I can enjoy Enjoy. It takes a long time to get to the base – this is a substantial fragrance and it claims its own with no problem. The base is beautiful, too: patchouli for wood combined with musk, vanilla, and amber for sweet and breadth of olfactory emanation.

I like the floral heart the best, but even that seems to be missing the special greatness of the usual run of Patou fragrances. Enjoy is a beautifully competent fragrance, but it doesn’t rise above competence. I expect more from Patou, but, compared to most fragrances of this sort, and considering my usual standards, I have to admit it probably deserves a thumbs up. Strong fragrance… strong sillage… lasts forever.

First by Van Cleef & Arpels

Larger than life and grander than most of the rest… First is one of the best of those huge older fragrances that I love to find. I can believe that this is a Jean-Claude Elléna fragrance because of the super-clean, super-clear presentation of the individual notes – I’m guessing that in those days he kept his minimalism centered on the purity of the individual notes. The clarity of the notes and the purity of the combinations are quite remarkable in a scent with this much complexity and grandeur going for it… First opens with aldehydes, bergamot, blackcurrant, and jasmine, with an occasional soft, silky civet note. I’m so impressed by its balance – it’s hard taking my nose from it. The middle is a floral medley… jasmine, again, lily of the valley, a soft rose, and orris show themselves to my nose: the accord is lovely and soft and clear in spite of its abundance. The drydown is to die for: I get mainly sandalwood, vetiver and amber with a touch of honey and a bit of some kind of roughness that makes it perfect. It doesn’t seem too sweet; it doesn’t seem woody; it simply seems ethereal – if something with this potency can be ethereal.