Fragrance Reviews from October 2009

Monsieur Rochas by Rochas

Review of the reformulated “Pink Stuff”: The sage, basil, and laurel of the opening come across with enough aromatic panache to make it interesting – it is bright and lively and I appreciate the fact that the basil is pretty much held in check by the sage. But the accord turns a little off as it moves toward the middle notes where it takes on a heavier green persona – it gets weighed down. The galbanum gets to be dominant and stays that way. Except for the growing strength of the galbanum and the loss of the aromatics of the opening, I don’t find much change in the development. The dry down is a dry vetiver / patchouli, and it has a bit of an synthetic tinge to it… I don’t get cinnamon and I don’t get very much “sweet” so the whole drydown is pretty ho hum. The fragrance has light sillage and very good longevity.

Monsieur Rochas is not as bad as I was expecting (…pink and reformulated): The pink color had reduced my expectations a considerable degree. I don’t dislike Monsieur, but I think that after the interesting opening, there should have been a little more going on with the fragrance.

Rococo Homme by Joop!

It’s hard for me to expect anything less than explosive olfactory aggression for something labeled “Joop!” But Joop! Rococo doesn’t take after its elders and it doesn’t explode. It is a relatively staid wood / pepper fragrance that delivers an enjoyable opening of balanced spices, a heart of quiet florals, and a base that's green and not-too-sweet, masculine woody base. The levels and the movement have presence and depth, but they are not overblown or overdone. Besides being agreeable, the notes strike me as being quite natural, they offer good sillage, and they present a very good longevity. Rococo is not exciting… its strength is its pleasing competence and wearability.

Bois d'Argent Cologne by Christian Dior

When I first tested this on paper and on my skin, my reactions were very much in the positive sphere. I had written phrases like: “Delicate,” “…restrained spiciness and sweetness,” “…soft incense,” and “…transparent but rich notes.” Then came the wearing. About two hours into my first wearing I began to be annoyed by what I was smelling. The annoyance quickly changed into genuine dislike and I had experienced this dislike before from notes I recognized in YSL’s Nu, Tom Ford’s Black Orchid. It was that floral / vegetal note that, with continued exposure, tended to make me disgusted, and, as in the case of the two mentioned, I had to wash off Bois d’Argent immediately. I very seldom feel the need to remove a fragrance from my skin, but this was one of those few cases.

Alien by Thierry Mugler

Top notes: Sambac Jasmine
    Heart note: Cashmeran, Solar Note
    Base note: White Amber

Lots of new words to learn from in this fragrance. As mentioned by other reviewers, Alien opens with a synthetic explosion of … synthetics: I’m sorry, I can’t identify any notes through the chemicals. The chemicals don’t last long and are quickly replaced by a sambac Jasmine and cashmeran accord. A “sambac jasmine” can be either an Arabian Jasmine or a Hawaiian Pikaki or any of a at least ten other varieties of jasmine: Madhan Mogran, Rose, Motiyu, Bela, Mallipoo, Lei pikaki, Tea, Gundi Mullige, Sampaguito, Mysore Mulli, or Mali Chat… I don’t know which particular jasmine is used in Alien, but, in general, the sambac jasmines have a greener element to their aroma. The Cashmeran, on the other hand is easier to describe: it’s the woody, musky, spicy 1,2,3,5,6,7-hexahydro-1,2,3,3-pentamethyl-4h-inden-4-one… The combination of the sambac jasmine and cashmeran accord is unique: It’s a woody, musky, spicy jasmine… quite attractive, too, IMHO. The center accord also presents Solar Note, which I Googled but couldn’t find any definitions, so I will assume that it is something that smells like the sun. Finally we have a drydown of white amber… now I’m familiar with white musk but I had to Google “White Amber” which turned out to be “a soft and subtle woody scent, and works primarily on the subconscious to elevate ones awareness and state of consciousness...” according to Google.

Apparently the scent is presented as having some sort of sub-conscious or mystical agenda, and the marketing includes some kind of wordplay on the word “alien.” I don’t know about that but I do like the fragrance. It’s attractive and it truly qualifies as an Oriental, I feel, and it does present the uniqueness for which it seems to be striving so hard. It smells quite feminine on paper or cloth, but on my skin it can easily pass as a masculine fragrance – in a sort of alien / masculine way, I find it mysteriously enjoyable.

Vetiver de Java by Il Profumo

Yes, definitely a civilized vetiver – greenish lavender and a lightwood vetiver with the additional gentle green of cypress – all these green notes are presented with tasteful sillage and adequate longevity. The oak moss is smooth and retiring and I can’t smell the gaïac wood.

A gentleman’s fragrance: there’s nothing raw, nothing annoying, nothing visceral: It’s masculine and precise.

Good show, old man…

Slate by Banana Republic

I enjoy this fragrance. It has a mild metallic tinge that seems as much herbal as it does metallic: I enjoy this metal ambiance better than I enjoy the metallic aura of Chrome. The sage provides that cool, rustic modern note that I like, but I don’t interpret it as “fresh”: It just seems to be a pleasantly mineral aroma. The ginger note does freshen the fragrance a bit., but it doesn’t seem like a generic fresh scent… Slate seems to have more going for it than the usual run of the mill. I don’t get much sweet in Slate; it simply stays herbal / metallic / mineral.

It is a well-made fragrance that offers something a little different, and I appreciate the difference. On my skin Slate is quite linear and its longevity could be improved somewhat, but I find it a discreet, enjoyable, and highly wearable fragrance – and, most importantly, something a little different from most of the current designer offerings.

Gold by Donna Karan

A lily fragrance that doesn’t respond well to my skin. The Casablanca lily, which smells enchanting on paper and on cloth, goes dusty, musty when it hits my skin – perhaps because of the spices. This staleness is not the normal experience I had with this flower. Because the lily is so prominent, there is no saving the fragrance for me – not even the jasmine or the “gold” build accords that can make up for the unattractive musty note that comes with the lily. The lily stays with the fragrance through the drydown, which doesn’t last long because I wash it off…

Cordovan by Banana Republic

I hesitated to get this one for testing because I do not like leather fragrances, but the other reviewers spoke more about woods than leather, so I guessed that this might be safe… It is.

It took me a while to smell the notes and accords in Cordovan. It’s not a strong fragrance, and what little I get from it smells more synthetic than anything else; however, it’s not an annoying synthetic note – it’s typical of the notes of several of the popular modern fragrances and I find it quite agreeable. The green of the opening and middle is seriously understated. I don’t actually smell the nutmeg that is supposed to be in the heart notes, but I do detect a warmth in the background that could very well be a soft nutmeg note. No discernible leather to me from the base, and the woods are very quiet. Like most skin scents, it has poor longevity. This is a pleasant skin scent and I like it enough to give it a hesitant thumbs up… Banana Republic does good stuff.

Cédrat by Roger & Gallet

What a refreshingly light version of cedar. The opening combination of cedar, grapefruit, and mint provides an effervescent citrus / cedar accord that smells almost sweet. Unfortunately, this enjoyable accord doesn’t last nearly as long as I would like. The middle of basil and cardamom slow down the effervescence but not the lightness – the scent remains subtle and clear. The base, too, is clean and discreet with the same soft cedar of the opening in a mix of white amber. I’m getting used to expecting these delightful and refreshing fragrances from this company, when I find another like Cédrat, I am not surprised at all… Excellent and uplifting. Short lived, but for a R & G cologne, that should be expected.

Aziyade by Parfum d'Empire

Yes, I experience the similarity to Arabie, too… Aziyadé quite reminds me of the Lutens’ creation with its dried fruit / fruity ambiance. This, at first, is a softer, gentler version of Arabie (or if you prefer: a weakened, watered-down version.) I like this one very much… especially because of its richer resinous background that is not overwhelmed by the dried fruits as happens in Arabie. Although not quite Lutenesque, I see Aziyadé as real competition to my favorite Lutens creation. I get a souk-like spiciness in the heart level with the cinnamon and cumin taking the prominent position in the accord. The heart accord of Aziyadé is still backgrounded by the date note and I love that effect in both fragrances. For the drydown, Aziyadé then turns musky and patchouli / incensy, and this adds more breadth to the fragrance and is a departure from Arabie. I don’t find the incense very strong, but it is present just enough to move the fragrance into a different direction from where it started. Except for the toned-down fruit and dried fruit notes, I don’t get much sweet or vanilla out of it… I appreciate that. The one problem I find with Aziyadé is it’s longevity as a sillage producer. Although it lasts quite well as a beautiful skin scent, it seems to lose its sillage too soon. It’s a beautiful fragrance -- well-made, enjoyable, and an easier wear than Arabie. This just might be my chosen replacement when my Arabie runs out.

Quarry's avatar

A Scent by Issey Miyake

A Scent lasted longer for me than it did for prior reviewers, but I otherwise concur with their assessments: citrus, green, synthetic. Can throw one compliment: The musk base worked well on my skin.

LiveJazz's avatar

Dirty English by Juicy Couture

Wow, Vibert captured this scent in a single sentence: "Once past its rather jumbled array of citrus and spice top notes, Dirty English resolves into a boozy, animalic leather set alongside a dry, scratchy, spiced conifer wood accord."

That is an excellent description of Dirty English. The leather accord dominates on my skin, and I'm glad it does. A hint of spices, wood and amber are there in the background, and serve only to make the scent a bit more approachable.

After the somewhat unpleasant topnotes, this is an wonderful dry, spicy leather scent. Juicy had some guts to introduce something like this in today's fragrance market.

evinick's avatar

Greece Greece

Acqua di Parma Iris Nobile by Acqua di Parma

I could easily call it «Fiori Nobili”. On one hand, it is so disappointing to expect an Iris based scent, (especially when you have in mind scents like Iris Silver Mist and Dior Homme) and get a sweet, flower oriented instead. On the other hand, when these florals have quality and are beautifully blended with a minimum of spice and vanilla you get a nice fresh daywear feminine scent. Anise and white flower notes are easily detected at the top and the heart with the latter being more underlined. Subtle wood notes are added to compose a soft but not powdery base. No Iris in there but still nice.

neal's avatar

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

This is my paragon autumn scent. It comes alive in the fall. There is none better. Nothing more need be said.

Oaksbluff's avatar

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Iso E Super, lightly sweetened.

On a positive note, it is a bit more deftly blended than other contemporary trumpets of IES.

Bruspotter's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

Anyone know the smell of Vapona bug spray?

Reminds me of the time we had a wasp's nest in our attic and I had to spray the top bedrooms before we could get in there to deal with it. The house smelled like this for days............

SirSlarty's avatar

Vetiver by Etro

Going with the crowd. Dry, harsh, earthy vetiver. So raw and solid that you'd wonder where you put the herbicide. Love the fact that such a strong scent stays close to you because sometimes you just want it all for yourself. Now, after it dries down it calms a little bit but since vetiver is psychologically a calming scent for some, I think it calms down quite a lot since there is so much of it. So good and you need to like vetiver to love this. Now in my top five vetivers!

Bigsly's avatar

Arpège by Lanvin

For you fans of this vintage fragrance, it seems that the women's version of Jacomo's Anthracite is very similar (it just doesn't have amber or vanilla listed in the pyramid, and my guess is that this is the only main difference, though of course it might be important to you). I haven't tried this one, so I'll give it a positive so as not to make anyone think someone didn't like it (which is what neutral often means).

supracuhz's avatar

Vétiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Vetiver Extraordinaire. Perfect. 10. Well, almost perfect --- it costs damn near an arm! But its worth it. With my flannel shirt buttoned up to one torso on my right arm, I'd be smelling fantastic as God's fart.

Anyways, heres the technical stuff. Its modern interpretation of the rooty vetiver-y greeness is decievingly contrasted, and augmented by the floralozones. It smells of the earth, but clean, like a moist sap from a patch of neon green moss in the early morning. I've had a lot of scents I've worn in my 4 years wearing scents, and this one, suprisingly is one of the two that hasn't really bored me (the other being Montale's Black Aoud). Perhaps it is because I have a 5ml decant that I have been using for the special occasions, for the past three years, that makes Vetiver Extraordinaire so special. Perhaps it is Malle's (if that is his name) genius that keeps me interested. Or perhaps it is the pure desire for me to build my wardrobe up that keeps me coming back to it.

Like I said, its a perfect 10; lasts about 5 hours -- enough to get through my classes, and lingers for about three more on my clothes. I get compliments almost (and I use this word very loosely) everytime (this word too) I wear this.

That being said, I have yet to buy the bottle. Its freaking $200+ dollars. I can't justify it to myself (or anyone that is not a basenotes member) spending THAT much for a bottle. Perhaps one day it will show up on the sales forum again.

adowds's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Carré d'As by Nicolaï

Not really one for me. Carre D'as has a delicate and gentle citrus top with an equally gentle drydown. The base though was a bit of a surprise, it's a lot softer that the individual elements would have you expecting.

Though this is my least favourite PdN it's perfectly acceptable, just nothing special!

Buddy97's avatar

Ireland Ireland

YSL pour Homme Haute Concentration by Yves Saint Laurent

Sweaty lemons!! As accurate as a description as can be given. But that should not be viewed in a negative, I truly love and admire this classy scent.

VERY powerful, strong citrus opening with a very herbaceous undertone. This loud phase lasts a long time before taming down to a gentler but lasting woodsy lemony fragrance. I think it is the variety of herbs (rosemary, thyme, sage) and woods that give it that animalic aspect to which others have referred - these are present but in a very non-threatening manner. Definitely a relic from the old school, not a scent that would be produced today, it is gentlemanly, distinguished and charming, with the clean lemon contrasting with those semi-dirty herby notes, giving a fragrance that is the equivalent of a well groomed man in a dress suit going commando !!!!!!!!

Balvon's avatar

Lithuania Lithuania

Sables by Annick Goutal

I love Sables, for its warmth and mellow beauty, but it lasts for days on the skin, and immortelle is a tenacious note that definitely requires a deft, and sparing hand...

21st October, 2009 (Last Edited: 27 October, 2009)

joelarner's avatar

Patchouly Noir by Il Profumo

I have to agree with Foetidus on this one. There are quite a few threads on Patchouli fragrances and yet very few mention this. This opens with an extremely earthy note which is very reminiscent of pure patchouli oil. As it mellows, the vanilla kicks in to produce a rounded and satisfying experience without having to resort to the chocolate/ cocoa notes seen in other patchouli fragrances. Longevity is very good and the sillage is adequate enough to be noticed by those close to you. All in all a very well-crafted fragrance and one worthy of sampling by all those patchouli lovers out there!

cheekyhamsta's avatar

Eau Dynamisante by Clarins

I like this one. To me it is a linear scent that smells almost identical to CD’s Eau Sauvage Extreme and thus is certainly appropriate for men to use and is in fact marketed as a unisex fragrance. I love the fiery red smooth pebble-like bottle and given its price is great value for money too – especially the 200ml version. Excellent for hot weather, I think the only downside is the strength and longevity of the scent, which is closer to an after shave than to an EDT but perhaps was deliberately designed to be this way so that it can be splashed on liberally.

's avatar

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

The reason most people don't like Givenchy Gentleman is because they are use to what is passed off as what you should be wearing now. I do like many of the newer frags out there but lets be honest they are mostly the same scent just made by different houses. I like to wear heavy perfumes not "scented water" but if that is what you like then by all means do wear them and enjoy. I have yet to find a so called modern frag that can hold a candle to the vintage ones IMHO.

's avatar

Pi by Givenchy

I can't put my finger on it but Pi just makes me ill.

Adesor's avatar

Hong Kong Hong Kong

Bois du Portugal by Creed

I just bought a 75 ml yesterday without testing it on my skin. Just felt like taking the risk and see how it goes.

It went Perfect. Decent woody scent and long dry down.
    Amazing Sillage, and amazing longetivity.
    I only had two sprays at 8 pm in the evening and could still smell it at 6 am today when I woke up.

It is a gentleman's scent if not exaggerated during application (very strong!)
    Excellent composition by creed! Absolute 5 star for me!

dolcetto23's avatar

Hammam Bouquet by Penhaligon's

I have only ever used this as a bath oil, in which form it is decadent and divine! Although it is very difficult to get out of the bath (take a book / Champagne / your lover as well).

cassavandra's avatar

France France

Musc Botanique by Strange Invisible Perfumes

This fascinating scent contains no actual musk. Alexandra Balahoutis used botanical molecules that closely resemble those in musk, to create a "botanical musc", which is meant to communicate the sexual essence of plants. As you can see from the other reviews, the musk is quite convincing; people feel very strongly that there is musk in this perfume.

I love this, as I do love all of Balahoutis's perfumes. Many of them are not "easy", but they are really interesting and evocative to wear.

For me, Musc Botanique is very sensual and aphrodisiac, something I would wear for a hot date. It writes stories in my mind immediately, and opens doors to ways of being i don't usually experience. I become more feminine, more flirtatious. The geranium opens up the amber and frankincense adds a slightly medicinal bite in the beginning, which quickly mellows out. There is something reminiscent of Damiana, an aphrodisiac herb, though it is not used in the blend.

It's captivating and exciting.

odysseusm's avatar

Eau de Sisley 2 by Sisley

Notes: cardamom, bergamot, basil, water iris, Egyptian jasmine, cyclamen, rose, patchouli, vetiver, cedar and sandalwood.
    This is a nice scent, more lemony than Hermes’ Un Jardin sur the Nil but with a very similar woody dry-down.
    The opening is citrus-lemon with good hints of basil and spice (cardamom). The citrus is reasonably persistant. There is a suggestion of creamy iris, but in general the florals are restrained and not sweet. The drydown is woody (cedar, sandalwood) and of medium intensity.
    This is a woody take on a classic cologne. Well done, perhaps not striking but very acceptable.

21st October, 2009 (Last Edited: 28 January, 2011)