Fragrance Reviews from October 2009

cpk's avatar
    cpk
    Greece Greece

parfums*PARFUMS Luxe: Patchouli by Comme des Garçons

Strangely enough this is the one scent that really stands out from the CdG line. Patchouli like no other. Or not? I am 100% with Trebor in that it shares a lot with Borneo 1834. Probably the same origin of patchouli. The greatest differences are the incredibly strong immortelle note in the opening of Patchouli which is replaced by the light camphore note in Borneo. In fact it is immortelle/fenugreek/curry/basturma all mixed together and only for the brave. The topnotes also have an increddible texture, thick, resinous and salty.You can almost feel the scent in your nostrils. If you don't enjoy the initial shock and awe of the opening this will equal an assault with gas. But if you like immortelle and shocking scents you will be rewarded by smoky heartnotes and the driest illusion of chocolate. The chocolate notes with a hint of smoke stay on the skin for a good 24 hours.
    Well let's get to the point: is it worth the money? If you are looking for a patchouli signature scent that you are going to wear every day, then probably yes. And you will get your money's worth because it will stay on you for the whole 24 hours. This is parfum strength.It is stunning. Drier and more commanding than Patchouli Leaves. In any other case probably not. But if you are patchouli fan try to find a sample of it.

Cinnabar by Estée Lauder

This seems to work for some people. Honestly, I always thought of it as being rather cheap smelling out of the bottle. The drugstore cousin of Opium... Some women seem to be able to make it seem like something else, something more elegant.

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

I love that this fragrance is popular because it is so unusual. However, I think that it is unusual in an off-putting way. Smells heavily of english ivy with a very "perfumey" base. The anise note is really nice, but the strong ivy smell ruins it. Major headache inducer.

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

Oh god, I literally felt like this perfume had a death grip on my throat. I thought I might suffocate. However, I have noticed this perfume on other women who managed to pull it off quite beautifully. It is very old-fashioned, and I think it is best reserved for those who are at least 40 years of age...

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Costes by Hôtel Costes

I like it. I find it to be an herbal and light myrrh type of scent. The first phase has excellent, dry green notes of laurel and herbal lavender. This give an intriguing, slightly medicinal quality (and I love that sort of scent). I wish this phase lasted longer. The spices kick in, and they are peppery and clove-y. This is not a big, heavy scent; but it is assertive. I think it sits close to the skin. The third phase is the development of the myrrh. Here we see a typical chord of myrrh that is slightly sweet, perfumed, and soapy. This gains a bit in weight as the light wood and musk notes contribute. In some ways, with the pepper and incense; this could be termed a kinder, gentler Piper Nigrum.

scentsitivity's avatar
    scentsitivity

Eau de Monsieur by Annick Goutal

The idea of a house ‘geneology’ fascinates me: seeing the interrelationships of fragrances developed and whether the ideas of earlier fragrances influenced later development. For example, when I first tried Eau de Monsieur, I was struck by the prominent Eau d’Hadrien type citrus note, but also in its development with a sweetness that suggested Sables. My initial speculation (without referencing dates) is that Eau de Monsieur was created with Eau d’Hadrien and Sables in view. Not so! In fact, per the Basenotes directory Eau De Monsieur dates from 1980 and is the oldest Goutal creation. Eau d’Hadrien was released in 1981 and Sables came out in 1985. So my current thinking is that Eau de Monsieur is the parent of Eau d’Hadrien and perhaps suggested Sables as well.

Perhaps I should have described the fragrance first. Initially I get the same bitter citrus blast that Eau d’Hadrien provides. No, I do not like it. Then in the middle notes, a sweetness emerges on top of the tart (in my view harsh) citrus. At this point I find the fragrance to be interesting. At first, I could not pinpoint the sweetness, but looking at the review of Tania Sanchez in “Perfumes”, she makes note of immortelle and yes, that is what it reminds me of as well: the immortelle of Sables. At any rate, there is just a touch of this sweetness in Eau de Monsieur and the drydown becomes bitter again. While the midnotes are interesting, overall I dislike this fragrance.

scentsitivity's avatar
    scentsitivity

Skye by Geo F Trumper

I love the name, but that is about the only thing I like about this Trumper offering (I do think it comes in a pretty shade of blue as well). While I think it is trying to convey a modern, fresh scent, on my skin it smells musty. My guess is that I am anosmic to its musk ingredient. It is short-lived on my skin. I can’t recommend this one at all.

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

very impressed with the longevity of this one
    the sandalwood at the base is very powerful & stays there forever
    staying power excellent

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

somehow iam not finding it as strong & long lasting as most of the members here claim it to be.
    the opening is very rich
    yes similar to animale animale
    staying power is good but not outstanding

Joop! Homme by Joop!

definitely synthetic, perfumey & different. got some style element with it.
    staying power is good

Pi by Givenchy

the aromatic citrus at the top been done nicely & gives a very pleasant start.
    staying power is good

Boss in Motion by Hugo Boss

Pretty much woody most of its time.has a hint of hugo boss here n there
    good staying power

bbBD's avatar
    bbBD

Djedi by Guerlain

This review is for the 1996 reissue, not the original 1926 version. I've tried samples of the '26 from two different sources but I'm not certain either of them are sufficiently 'fresh' enough to give a fair review.

The 1996 reissued Djedi is without any question perfect in every possible way, and if there's any one fragrance I could wear every day for the rest of my life it would be Djedi. Djedi is a fragrance so packed with subtlety yet comes off as effortless and simple. The theme is simple: vetiver and sandalwood. The opening is a dark, pungent smoky vetiver that rivals the vetiver note of any of today's vetiver heavy-hitters. Behind the vetiver is a woodiness that reminds me of a much, much richer version of Floris Vetiver's vetiver/wood accord. Over a couple hours the vetiver slowly melds into the most rich and fantastic leathery sandalwood accord with hints of oakmoss and other woody notes in the background. The woody aroma is rich and full, and it rivals any sandalwood or leather scent I've ever experienced. To have the best of vetiver and the best of sandalwood in a single fragrance is truly remarkable. I assume that today with the unavailability of true mysore sandalwood a fragrance like Djedi would not be possible.

Here's the best part of Djedi: the way it wears. Obviously getting any quantity is hard to come by and it cannot be wasted. Luckily Djedi knows for itself how precious it is. One spray and a couple dabs with a Q-tip creates sufficient sillage to surround the wearer in a bubble of heavenly aroma all day. The longevity is truly extraordinary, and I hope to someday (soon....heheh...) have enough Djedi such that just once I can go wild applying it and allow it to penetrate and envelop my entire body. I anticipate it being a religious experience.

Zhara8's avatar
    Zhara8

Idole d'Armani by Giorgio Armani

A dark fruit. A fruit that makes a lascivious sound when you bite into it. Very green, sweet, yet grounded. The patchouli, ginger and spice definitely steer this scent out of fluffy territory - no spun sugar cotton candy here. Instead, the sugar is a dark, sticky syrup; almost a venom.

The synthetic notes are not bashful, but they oddly enough give a lushness, a poshness. Indeed this is a large designer fragrance, and no niche-market bohemian. But as far as mass-market designer fragrances go, this is quite a winner. Complex, grown up, and deep with fruit and leaf and that ever-present dangerous syrup. Overall, a very pleasant surprise.

Hillary Duff With Love is at home on the shelf next to a bottle of Armani Idole - both have taken the current trend of sweet fruity frag.s and given them a diploma and a stock portfolio.

JonB's avatar
    JonB

Équipage by Hermès

If you wish to know what Equipage smells like, once you let the topnotes burn off, this is Paco Rabanne Lite. Essentially green, soapy, and refreshing. Like Paco Rabanne, some people (myself included) may find that the white musk in the base can get a bit scratchy, harsh, and a bit annoying. A nice fragrance, suitable for the office, but nothing earth shattering. Unlike Paco Rabanne, the longevity is a bit on the poor side. This stays much closer to the skin than PR, and disappears in a few hours unless applied to fabric.

nonnative's avatar
    nonnative

Eternity by Calvin Klein

It's strange how I loved it and how I now hate it. In the 80s I considered it modern, classy and light. Now it seems very old, dated and incredibly innatural. But a friend of mine finds it irresistible and wear it everyday. This is the kind of perfume that is so strong and long lasting to cover a woman's personality completely. Can it be a comfort for shy ladies?

nonnative's avatar
    nonnative

Eau Fraîche by Elizabeth Arden

My grandmother used to wear it. It reminds me of her. A fresh rose with a hint of water. Not the best of fragrances but one of the few I bought twice.

Balvon's avatar
    Balvon
    Lithuania Lithuania

Myrrhe Ardente by Annick Goutal

Good fragrance. Nor for my. A nice scent and a must for incense lovers.

Bartlebooth's avatar
    Bartlebooth
    Germany Germany

Blue Grass by Elizabeth Arden

This is a very simple and pleasurable creation, only marred by a brief but unpleasant phase in the opening, and an uninspired base. The aldehyde presence is not pronounced, yet it gives the top notes a cleansed, somewhat astringent feel. Some minutes in, an excessively dry and bitter note is discernable, that is slightly jarring and out of place. This strident accord seems to be a combination of rose and carnation, but it is only at the peak of its intensity that it feels excessive. Thereafter, Blue Grass softens considerably, and the emergent tuberose is allowed to provide a slightly sweet,almond hue. I would have preferred a more robust and woody base, but the notes beyond the heart offer very little of interest. For me, this is on the cusp of thumbs up and neutral, but the weak finish ensures that I should probably mark it down.

AnnArborBodhi's avatar
    AnnArborBodhi

Chez Bond by Bond No. 9

They are all correct, it is very similar to Green Irish Tweed. It would be hard to convince me that this was an accident. However, I must say that Chez Bond works better for my skin (typically dry skin, caucasian male) than GIT does.

Féminité du Bois by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I tried a sample of the reissued rectangular-bottle FdB and loved it insanely. I had to order the original in the brown translucent bottle (god I love that bottle, I dont find it dark and sinister at all, as esquirol does). Its fantastic! It starts out cedary and violety and suede-y and then turns to dried fruits and then to church incense like they had on special occaisions at the Anglican church when I was a child.

The ultimate autumn scent. Because I love woods and incense, I like to layer it with Gucci pour Homme, which brings out the dry cedary goodness.

cK one by Calvin Klein

Smells like pineapple juice and citrus dishsoap and cheap musks. Not my thing. And for a "light" scent, it's surprisingly tenacious, like L'Eau D'Issey. I could still smell it after a vigorous handwashing. I thought I would like this more, but it was actually kind of nauseating.

Malachite by Banana Republic

This smells very similar to Garnier Fructis shampoo, which has a nice tart fruity smell to it. The smell of GF shampoo is one of my favorite shampoo scents. But I do not want it in perfume form. Folks could do a lot worse, however. Most will probably find it inoffensive, yet pleasing. I like more of a challenge from my perfume.

auee's avatar
    auee

1881 by Cerruti

This fragrance showed me without question the value of sampling before purchase. I have not read all of the reviews of this, but I can see that the positive reviews outpoint the negative ones by a wide margin. I will have to add my opinion to those on the negative side; the extreme negative side.

I found this fragrance vulgar without any redeeming features. Maybe the bottle I sampled it from had gone bad, because if this is possible it smelled like rancid flowers and citrus fruit that had been left on the ground in the sun to rot. It smells so stunningly bad to me that I want to believe that something was wrong with the sample. I will attempt to try it again and will revise my opinion if it is different.

auee's avatar
    auee

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

A truly fantastic fragrance that needs to tested at least twice if you do not like it the first time. I do not find it as dry as some. The plum really comes through to balance the scent. It is rich, with great longevity and better than average sillage. It is interesting and complex. I will be wearing it at least once a week during fall and winter.

Diamondflame's avatar
    Diamondflame
    Singapore Singapore

Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

I thought this was my signature scent in the late 1980s - its bright citrus opening is certainly captivating. But as expected of top notes it can never last, transitioning smoothly from tangy lemon to a lightly spiced lavender heart before leaving behind a vaguely masculine woodsy drydown that I just can't seem to care about. A more modern interpretation of the classic gentlemen scent ala Eau Sauvage this may be, but I find EAU POUR HOMME's overall presentation rather ho-hum.

Peekaboo's avatar
    Peekaboo
    Spain Spain

Vamp by Ava Luxe

This is a great nocturnal scent. Better on cold and dry weather, than on humid and hot. It is a SUPERB creation, a five stars, in my opinion. Misterious, rotund, well rounded with different layers. I like the labdanum on here, is so dark and luxurious. Animalic, yes and very sexy.

Peekaboo's avatar
    Peekaboo
    Spain Spain

Hong Kong Garden by Ava Luxe

Truly elegant scent, clear, woody and with a hint of metalic shade. A bit musky and absolutely adorable. I like to wear it on sushine.

annalyssa's avatar
    annalyssa

Diorissimo by Christian Dior

When I was very young, the shady side of our house had a stretch of Lily of the Valley growing along it. My mum, who was quite endearingly passionate about the scent of flowers and the feeling of sunshine, used to pick bunches and put them in little vases in our rooms.
    The moment I smelled Diorissimo for the first time, I almost cried thinking oh how she would have loved this - and I wished I'd discovered it sooner and been able to give it to her as a gift.

It absolutely sings. Hits all the high notes.
    Effortlessly.
    I can't imagine wearing Diorissimo except as a tribute to my mother because it's so lifelike it's almost uncanny. But wow what a masterpiece, what a monument. I think you would be hard pressed to find anything that could compete.
    Someone mentioned lilac and I agree - I definitely smell lilac.

annalyssa's avatar
    annalyssa

10 Corso Como by 10 Corso Como

I wanted to love this. I'm not sure why - perhaps because Carla Sozzani is just so beautiful and chic.
    Maybe because of the bottle, which I love. It's funny how the logo on the bottle looks like Carla Sozzani's hair.
    The list of notes.... enticing, the evoking of churches....

I almost like this. But there's just something that bothers me.... something that reminds me of a doll I once had as a child. Is it the rose? I'm not entirely sure, but I do know I smelled this in childhood at some point....
    And I swear, when my nose is pressed to my wrist I smell pickles.
    Nice mouthwatering homemade pickles.

I do have to say that it does come off as very "natural", very organic, complex and chic (bohemian chic).
    Something my great-aunt Connie would wear.
    Also not a bad thing.
    I just wish there wasn't that ticklish little something reminiscent of childhood toys (why were my toys scented? I don't know.... but I do know that "My Little Ponies" smelled of something very particular).

I'm going to give this another go sometime but for now I'm not convinced.