Fragrance Reviews from October 2009

10 Corso Como by 10 Corso Como

I wanted to love this. I'm not sure why - perhaps because Carla Sozzani is just so beautiful and chic.
    Maybe because of the bottle, which I love. It's funny how the logo on the bottle looks like Carla Sozzani's hair.
    The list of notes.... enticing, the evoking of churches....

I almost like this. But there's just something that bothers me.... something that reminds me of a doll I once had as a child. Is it the rose? I'm not entirely sure, but I do know I smelled this in childhood at some point....
    And I swear, when my nose is pressed to my wrist I smell pickles.
    Nice mouthwatering homemade pickles.

I do have to say that it does come off as very "natural", very organic, complex and chic (bohemian chic).
    Something my great-aunt Connie would wear.
    Also not a bad thing.
    I just wish there wasn't that ticklish little something reminiscent of childhood toys (why were my toys scented? I don't know.... but I do know that "My Little Ponies" smelled of something very particular).

I'm going to give this another go sometime but for now I'm not convinced.

Sel de Vetiver by Different Company

When I tested this out on two male friends, the immediate reactions were respectively "it smells like the ocean" & "it reminds me of the beach".
    I gave them each a gold star for good work, and asked them how they liked it. Positive all round (but were they humoring me? Hard to determine.)
    My "sportier" friend liked it and said it reminded him of cologne.
    Which is true - it's very bracing, like good salty air blowing against your face.

I don't think I'd wear this, but I wouldn't mind smelling it on my "sporty" friends and all those sporty strangers out there :)

Un Parfum des Sens et Bois by Different Company

I thought this was really beautiful, woody, natural, kind of shimmering and changing. Not solid wood, but woods in a fairytale.
    But it's barely perceptible.
    I only have a sample, so I couldn't really spray it on but I imagine you'd have to really douse yourself to feel satisfied.

SigrunSoley's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Violet Empire by CB I Hate Perfume

I feel I don't understand this scent at all. At first sniff I get a strong and a little bit funky dill note. Like dill a little bit past it prime. That notes then fades and the scents starts to feel a bit more integrated with earthy and woody notes. It's not in any way a typical floral, but the floral notes that are in there are heavy and a bit sweet but not recembling any violets I've sniffed in real life. It's a very unique scent and I'm sure it might work fine on other people but on me it's just strange and a bit cloying.

23 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 26 October, 2009)

otto parts's avatar

Chemistry by Clinique

I've been a Clinique Happy user for about 7 yrs now, and decided I'd go for a change. Based on how much I liked Happy, and based on the reviews here I figured I'd just buy a bottle of Chemistry blind (I know, probably not a good idea). I was looking for something mild and inoffensive, and most reviews substantiated this. Additionally Clinique os on the cruelty-free list (an entirely different discussion altogether).

Anyway, upon first application, I was extremely disappointed- it smelled exactly like Eternity by CK, and I also remember back in the 90's that a lot of the popular colognes had that syrupy smell similar to Eternity that I personally couldn't stand. To me it was sugary and lemony in the way that pledge is lemony...not good.

In any case, I decided to let it sit for awhile before I made my decision, and it definitely gets much better after the initial application (I guess you would call it the "dry down" but I'm no expert on scents). Today is the 2nd day wearing it and I'm starting to really like the smell after it settles down, it's just different than what I expected- not quite as interesting as Happy, but at least for me personally it gets better as the day goes by and it lightens up significantly. Just the first 20 min or so it's a perfect analogue for Eternity, so I just make sure to spray it on right out of the shower so by the time I'm out of the house it's settled into my skin. I'm glad I waited to get past that point before writing!

Obviously as many have pointed out most of it depends on your skin and how it reacts. At the basic level, this cologne is generally clean and not too overpowering, so it all depends on how it mixes with your own skin (sorry for the same old cliche line about skin chemistry but it is true). I'll give it a thumbs up since it seems to agree with me.

Really the bottom line is as long as a cologne is agreeable and smells clean, I'm happy. Not looking for any miracles. Just something inoffensive and mild, and in this regard, Chemistry fits the bill for me.

brinnet's avatar

No. 5 by Chanel

I adored this smell. My nose isn't very developed yet, so all I can say is that I smell the card with its scent repeatedly. I keep it in my desk at work. Unfortunately, I could hardly smell it on myself, which makes me so sad. Not worth spending the money if I can't smell it! Eau Premiere was more noticeable on me, so that's where my money will go.

bantumchickie's avatar

Jade East by Regency

I have wonderful memories of the scent of Jade East. Fragrance is very personal and for me it was intoxicating. I too would love to smell it again ... especially splashed lightly on my sweetheart. I have never found a scent that was quite so attractive - but for me Nautica Men (Classic) is almost there ;)

dickjones's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Cool Water by Davidoff

Classic clean smell after gym.
    Superb classic!

24 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 12 June, 2010)

dickjones's avatar

Brazil Brazil

CK In 2U Him by Calvin Klein

Very nice, lighty ,fruity but warm.
    But has no longevity..a little weak.
    Day by day friendly.

Even this way is a thumbs up if for a low price.

Lisaandtheword's avatar

Vetiver Oriental by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

mmm! buttery leather, spicy old dark wood, complex rich green.. all blends to be feminine enough, exotic & sexy but not too much for casual or office. has slight sweetness & boozy element.

sheer83's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Agent Provocateur by Agent Provocateur

Hmmm... took me a long time to make up my mind about this one. I was initially drawn to this scent after smelling it from a co-worker of mine, on her it smelt unique, intriguing, mysterious. There was also a distinctive rose note in it that I could detect, and being a lover of rose, I decided to investigate further. Upon arriving at my local department store I was extremely excited to try this perfume out on my own skin. My initial impression was WOW this is a strong fragrance!! Probably due to the saffron in the topnotes, but I thought be patient, give it time to settle on the skin. As I allowed the scent to develop on the skin I could detect the rose more and more which gave me hope, but there was something still lingering in the fragrance that I couldn't take to. I have tried this perfume many times since in the vain hope that I will smell the way my co-worker did but each time I'm disspaointed. On me, this scent smells of pot-pourri, there is nothing else that I can compare it to. On me it is a scent that does not feel like a scent that I should be wearing, but rather one that I should fragrance my bathroom with!! The rose in this is not one of fresh blooming kind, but moreso the left in the sun to wilt kind. Oh well just must be a skin incompatability issue. I still give this a neutral as it smelled so good on my co-worker.

sheer83's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Coromandel by Chanel

Definatley my favourite of the Les Exclusifs. To me this is quite a warm spicy fragrance, and I concur with other reviewers who say this is very similar to Prada. I also agree with this being a more refined fragrance than Prada. But WHY the 200ml bottles?? Madness! 100ml for $100/100euro would have been a much more sensible idea.

bokaba's avatar

Eau de Guerlain by Guerlain

Eau de Guerlain is a contemporary interpretation of the traditional eau de cologne with some added caraway in the opening. The middle is somewhat confusing with a menthol-carnation accord, but the base is a superb blend of musk, amber, and moss. This is by far one of the muskiest bases I have experienced. The musk lasts overnight even though the rest of the scent is gone. Big thumbs up!

24 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th November, 2009)

bokaba's avatar

Special No. 127 by Floris

Special no. 127 is no more than a cheap, rubbery version of no. 89 featuring the Floris house citrus note and a dull, boring drydown of dirty florals like geranium and carnation. Super powdery with the added mustiness of patchouli. This ought to have stayed in the 19th Century with whatever Russian duke commissioned it.

24 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 14 November, 2009)

Chloé Narcisse by Chloé

Vomit inducing.

A cacky nappy couldn't be more offensive than this.

5th Avenue by Elizabeth Arden

A dark horse this. Easy to underestimate.

First Impression: clean, fresh, sporty, very above board...nothing dirty here ....in fact, conservative and a tad buttoned-up even - the consummate professional - but the dry down is kinda deceptively sexy (less flowery more musky to my schnozzle anyways) hence all the compliments - men definitely seem to like this one. All in all, an interesting and very wearable contradiction. I love it.

Tiempe Passate by Antonia's Flowers

A beautiful, very understated, classy fragrance that stays close to the skin. This ticks all my boxes; warmth and sensuality together with a slightly masculine edge; yet still very feminine. You know sometimes your fragrance smells better the next morning when that blend of fragrance /skin has worked its magic? With Tiempe Passate, its there straight away - it smells like you've been wearing it overnight which is exactly what Antonia Ballenca wanted.

The lingering bergamot and rose remind me of a day on a meditarranean beach in the baking sun with the taste of the salty sea still in my hair and on my skin.....

<<<Parfumnut>>>'s avatar

Les Echappées - Inlé by Memo

Generic fragrance, nothing special......................................

<<<Parfumnut>>>'s avatar

Les Echappées - Siwa by Memo

Actually Siwa is a gorgeous not overly sweet gourmand fragrance, there is nothing FLORAL about this one at all. Great comfort scent for the cooler part of the season. Great lasting power too.

Bigsly's avatar

Shania by Stetson

A "clean" and "fresh" fruity/floral, reasonably natural smelling (for the price). Don't expect to smell much in the way of sandalwood, patchouli, or amber, though. Tommy Girl is much richer and features the strong tea note (and isn't fruity), so I wouldn't compare this to that one. I'm not interested in these kinds of fragrances and haven't sampled many, so that's about all I can say. Sillage and longevity seem to be at least acceptable.

blondex199667's avatar

Calyx by Prescriptives

Love it! Playful, youthful- what's not to like assuming you like sweet:tart smells?

blondex199667's avatar

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

I'm not a big fan of spicy/oriental notes and I really don't like the powdery finish, but I get why some guys love this stuff. It's also iconic, the olfactory equivalent to a soundtrack of the late "80s.

Vassaari's avatar

Fire Island by Bond No. 9

This is sublime. It is an exclusive scent. It is the scent of the Fire Island beach-house, the house owned by the art dealer. It is a scent for the summer morning. The scent you spray on the lapels of your robe. It is the scent for easing into your day. Promising. Promising other notes to come ... to complete the tapestry.

But later. After having a French press coffee. And after reading the headline. After a spliff. And a little laydown with some amyl. And the sulphur it provides. It is a scent for making memories.

Vassaari

Duc de Vervins by Houbigant

(My Perfumed Court sample started to evaporate before my current round of sniffing this, so hopefully I only lost solvent and the smell is still true.) This is a really nice green scent, and a wealthier relative of Drakkar Noir, as everyone else has said. More specifically I'd place it into the space between the smokier, butterier DN and the brighter, sweeter Bowling Green. The opening is a refreshing medium green, neither very bright with unnecessary citrus nor very dark with moss and vetiver. Its sweetness falls toward the sweet end of being believably grassy, and goes no further for the time being. Soon it starts to get bracingly sharp, and a little musky from up close...very masculine, almost like taking the piney components of Yatagan or Polo without much of the leather or the harsher herbs. Scents like those two have led me to place a limit on how sharp I'm willing to go, and DdV falls just shy of that limit. By the base, it develops a sweet undercurrent similar to BG's cinnamon leaf, but DdV has slightly less of it than BG, and I'd say does a better job of it, maybe with some extra cedar.

As a side note, this is a classy, upscale product, and I'm sure they wanted it to come across as very "old money." Unfortunately the big gold initials on the bottle look like something a rapper would wear on a neck chain, or the logo that a 1950s Texas oil millionaire would engrave on the gates to his ranch...decidedly "new money." Very strange contradiction in packaging.

Jockey Club by Caswell-Massey

Almost a thumbs up. This stuff is flawlessly barbershoppy and lasts pretty well. I don't know why they made the juice green though. I think it has less anise/licorice and more clove/cinnamon than some of the other old barbershop ones, or the neo-barbershoppy Rive Gauche...those notes are usually the dealbreakers for me in this genre. So it's a little less sweet, or maybe sweet in a less pungent way, than the others, and for me that means it's slighly more refreshing. There's some creamy orange peel in there which is a little different from the others as well. Still, it's inescapably old-fashioned so "old man scent" haters may want to beware, even though it's not one of the 70s-type that seem to be the biggest offenders. In the end, the orange peel becomes very prominent and it reminds me of Equipage more than anything else. I'd take Jockey Club over a lot of its kindred, but it's still a tad too much licorice for me to enjoy reguarly. I'm hoping to find an alternative from among the Trumpers line.

Stetson Sierra by Stetson

This stuff starts with a great subdued foresty opening, both because of its low concentration and because of an interesting lack of sharp top notes. A sort of sharpness later develops which is very solventy...it smells (and burns) more like alcohol 5 minutes after application than it did 5 seconds after, which is really strange. Gradually a sweetness creeps in which I didn't detect in the first few minutes, which in part is fruity: banana-like and metallic in the same way as the sweetness in Acier Aluminium, though of course not as well-executed. The rest of the sweetness is provided by wintergreen. At this stage, I think of household cleaner...maybe this is the Pinesol aspect that people say they smell in a lot of foresty scents. As the drydown progresses, the most off-putting element probably is the wintergreen because it's too mouthwashy. The other issue is, how did those steel bananas find their way into what used to be such a beautiful forest?

XS pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

This is a bracingly icy green scent, but it's a little too synthetic for me. It opens as a pine forest with some violets in the underbrush. As the violet begins to get more prominent, it starts to remind me of the modern concrete-like aspect of Narciso Rodriguez. Juniper, or something like it, becomes more obvious as well. There's a little bit of household cleaner in it, but not as much as the similar cheapo Stetson Sierra which I'm concurrently reviewing. A little cedar starts to emerge to cut it, which I normally would like, but I fear that not enough has been used. Plus, its a dark, musky cedar that feels contaminated to me. As it devolves further into woody violets, I start to get tired of it. It loses intensity rather drastically in the drydown though, so in the final stages I sort of forget about it. It's not really for me, but I could see how other people might like it.

Uomo by Lorenzo Villoresi

This stuff is quite an herbal assault. Natural-smelling? Yes. Italian-smelling? Yes. Old-world-smelling? Yes. But it made me envision rancid lemon peels plus militant nostril-searing lavender...a very bitter combination. For just a little while in the top, I was reminded of the bleach that I used last night to get my whites their whitest. The strength dies off rather quickly, and by quite a bit. By the time Uomo is in the background, I can sort of see its appeal. It gets less sharp and slightly more sweet, with a desert-shrubby aspect; in fact it smells like the flowers of some plants that are blooming around my apartment complex right now, which is not entirely a compliment. For me Uomo was just obtrusive and uncomfortable.

vintage*red's avatar

À la Nuit by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

A la Nuit is reference jasmine. It is an astute study of the jasmine flower from opening bud to decaying blossom. It is in no way "death by jasmine" as The Guide states; it is a true jasmine fragrance with a bright start and a dark finish. Longevity is moderate. At Serge Luten prices, this is for the jasmine lover (not the "jasmine liker"). There are so many lovely jasmine perfume oils and fragrances (La Haie Fleurie) that I probably will never make a purchase of this one to satisfy my occasional jasmine craving. But, in my opinion, this is the epitome of jasmine and a must for those who are passionate about jasmine. PS I could not get this one out of my mind! And with the new regulations (and my recent retry of the new La Haie), I scored an old bottle of this stuff...because it IS reference jasmine.

24 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 30th March, 2010)

vintage*red's avatar

Premier Figuier Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Definately a relative of Premier Fig, Premier Fig Extreme is not extreme in any way. It is less green and more creamy coconut than its predecessor and wears much closer to the skin. It has less longevity than the "premier" fig fragrance, which I still prefer to this newer version. Premier Fig Extreme should have a long list of fans in spite of this drawback. It's a nice, unisex scent that should wear well in all seasons.