Fragrance Reviews from October 2009

SirSlarty's avatar

1903 by J Peterman

A great scent for the gentleman. Slightly powdery but smokey. Fantastic drydown of very masculine bases: tobacco, woods, leather. With the notes listed above, the elemi comes across reminiscent of Oscar for Men (2000), very strong yet lightly minty woods. Great all around cologne.

gordonm's avatar

Fahrenheit Absolute by Christian Dior

This starts off darker than and not immediately recognisable as the original fragrance, but a couple of hours in, I started to get the Fahrenheit family notes. This version remains drier and doesn't open out or develop as much as the original........ so I agree with Cedriceccentric in that it's maybe not as daring. It's an unmistakably masculine juice and will probably appeal to a younger audience as well as those who wore F/H original in the Eighties. I would describe it as being quite close to the original with a 20% step towards the woody characteristics Cartier Declaration Essence. Thumbs up for sure.

glitteralex's avatar

Echo by Davidoff

PLEASE USE THIS REVIEW. I inadvertently submitted the draft earlier this evening.

This is a fragrance that I admire for one distinct reason: the notes seem suspended in a substrate of air. The spicy notes of chili, nutmeg, cedar, musk and sandalwood seem to float in the fictional airy-metallic-white suede. Echo is completely synthetic in nature, but, nonetheless, excellently executed. I do not categorize this as a traditional aquatic or a sporty scent, but something in its own genre. When male customers ask for something that is both light and spicy, I head them in this direction. There are numerous options for women in this category, but most men's "airy" scents are marine or herb based, not spicy. Think of having a spice-infused vodka martini. There is no warmth whatsoever in this fragrance.

Personally, I find Echo too synthetic for me (or hubby). I prefer something with a more natural, resinous base that wears a bit closer to the skin- I don't like to smell a man's cologne before seeing him turn the corner. Here, the aldehydes are not obvious, but are integral to the nature of the scent by acting to lift the spices out and off the skin, and to create an effusive (if short lived-) sillage.

djolney's avatar

Acier Aluminium by Creed

Acier Aluminium is an interesting fragrance, and I wish I had ordered more than a 1 millilitre decant.

I often find it easy to write what notes I can smell in a fragrance, but with Acier Aluminium I can’t put my finger on specific notes. Rather than writing what I can smell, I only feel able to jot down my impressions, which feel like a representation (or resemblance) rather than any sort of clear guide.

Acier Aluminium opens with a metallic note that lasts for about thirty seconds on my skin. As this note fades out it is replaced by a sharp, intense aromatic accord, which reminds me of the opening accord in Caron’s Third Man less the lavender. This accord lasts for a few minutes and then begins to break down into three notes: bay, cinnamon, and olibanum. The bay and cinnamon remind me of the opening of Tauer’s Une Rose Chypree, and the olibanum is similar to the ball of resin in Montale’s Louban.

Just as I am wondering if this is really what I am smelling, a fruit note swells up and swallows these three notes. The cinnamon gives the fruit some warmth, and the olibanum gives the fruit a sharper focused base. After a few more minutes of fruit a peppery carnation note arrives, which along with the remains of the bay, keeps the fruit interesting. This combination lasts for about two hours on my skin, and is really nice to sniff.

The dry down begins with something like amber and vanilla, which draw the fruit toward a deeper and darker pitch. An animalic note stops the sweetness from becoming too sweet, and the olibanum settles as a resinous note at the very bottom of the base.

Acier Aluminium is all over within six hours on my skin, but oh what an interesting journey it is.

djolney's avatar

Orange Spice by Creed

A gentleman in the latter part of his life sits confidently in the lobby of a fine hotel. His suit and tie are elegant and his shirt is crisp. His posture is proud, despite the passing of the years, and his eyes are piercing. The attractive young women who pass by acknowledge his gaze good-naturedly, recognising that this man would have swept them off of their feet in his day. He is waiting for his grandson, who, as ever, is late.

Into the lobby walks a strikingly masculine young man with proud posture and piercing eyes, like the old man.

“Kouros, my boy,” the old man growls, “late again?”

“Sorry Grand Father,” the young man smiles, “I was lost in something captivating.”

“No matter my boy,” the old man chuckles, “there will be plenty of time for that after we catch up.”

The two men embrace, and then walk to the dining room lost in their bond of blood and time.

Creed Orange Spice is the progenitor of YSL’s Kouros. This is not to say that it is an old man’s fragrance, but, rather, that Orange Spice is the past from which Kouros emerged.

Orange Spice is softer and smoother than Kouros, but no less elegant or striking.

The orange, clove, and animalic note are in similar balance to Kouros, but somewhat less intense than Kouros.

If you enjoy Kouros you will enjoy Orange Spice, and if Kouros is a bit too much for you Orange Spice will be perfect.

adowds's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Eucris by Geo F Trumper

I just can't fully warm to Eucris, it's just a little stale and dry for me. There is a short period mid-way through when a faint fruitiness and freshness come through; I just wish it was for longer. I'm not convinced about the presence of cumin that others can pick out, it's certainly not freshly ground cumin. The only thing it could be is packeted cumin that's well beyond its sell-by date.

Eucris feels incomplete, as if it's missing top and mid notes, I may try to layer with something like very light. I can see myself wearing this when the mood takes me so a negative would be inappropriate.

Ronin's avatar

Hilfiger Athletics by Tommy Hilfiger

This is one that I didn't much care for at first but after some wearings I began to take a liking to it and wear it often. Starts out sharp but then nicely settles. I spray this one on clothes most of the time since I like to it to linger for as long as possible. The other reviewers speak well about the notes.

oldfooltoo's avatar

Pour Un Homme by Caron

My first impression was an overwhelmingly sweet odor. After a few hours, the sweetness faded some (or I became used to it) and the lavender became more noticeable. The experience takes me to memories of sitting next to my grandmother in church.

derad's avatar

Czech Republic Czech Republic

Verte Violette by L'Artisan Parfumeur

One of my favorite fragrances. It is subtle but longlasting, tender and soft. It shows it's best on feminine skin, but i love it so much I own and wear it anyway. Violette Verte has a minimal sillage - people notice it only shortly after application ("What smells here so nicely?"), but the way it gently caresses me with it's floral veil for so long makes up for it. One of my acquaintances said "You're not wearing it, you are making love with it" :)

xiikzodz's avatar

La Base for Him by Magic Helvetia

Opens with a fine blend of spices out of which gentiana (first thing came across my mind), black elder, sage and gin are clearly palpable. If there's any citrus in it then rather in the form of the aromatic oils that some citrusy spices like coriander, basil or geranium contain. I suppose judging it in the same way as one would an office scent is a mistake. Apparently, it has no obvious pheromonic qualities - people take it rather for a hair tonic or spicy shower gel. Yet it is a intricate construction and fine art of perfumery (sadly might not last long) taking us offroads.

Cuiron Pour Homme by Helmut Lang

The scent that inspired Odori's Cuoio imho. In fact, CUIRON is probably how Cuoio would feel like after a couple of tranquilizers and I mean this in a good way for Helmut Lang's rendition is undeniably a calmer, more sure-footed performer. The top notes stay fresh without resorting to the customary tartness of citruses or the zing of pepper and the development remains dry with nary a hint of powder. Nothing truly extraordinary. But when the leather finally emerges it serves a powerful reminder why it deserves all the accolades it has garnered since its 2002 release. And if you think 'sensual leather' sounds utterly bogus, wait till your woman smells this on you...

Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain

SPIRITUEUSE DOUBLE VANILLE. Sounds like a drink, doesn't it? Had it appeared on a drinks menu I'm quite certain nobody would have done a double take. In fact I find the opening to be deliciously effervescent and vanillic, rather reminiscent of ice cream soda which is a favorite drink of mine since I was 7. A reviewer even compared it to vanilla liqueur. And I must say I agree with him for this is indeed an intoxicating scent, one which easily finds a top 3 spot among my preferred vanilla masterpieces.

chamelion's avatar

Rocabar by Hermès

it's a nice scent but for the price it really does not stand out

if u want a nice upscale woodsy one this is for you definately unique

kikiduck's avatar

Knowing by Estée Lauder

I recently revisited Knowing after several years of wearing (almost exclusively) niche frags like L'Artisan, Bond No. 9, Acca Kappa, Creed, etc. and I love how it blends with my skin's chemistry. After the first blast, it settles into sopisticated, rich bouquet of dark flowers tinged with incense and woods. I have an sort of off-beat style and even though this is about as mianstream as you can get (It is EL, after all), it suits me perfectly, especially in the fall and winter. Don't be afraid to try it because it was created 20 years ago; it's not dated at all and you might be "dating" more if you do!

Celsius32's avatar

Israel Israel

He Wood by Dsquared2

First of all, if you like woody scents then this is a MUST try, I don't think it can get any woodier than this.
    To me this smells like sweetened watery wood. There is absolutely no development in terms of notes, the scent remains the same throughout the whole period of wear (4-5 hours on oily skin). Overall, it's a very versatile and pleasant scent. I've tested it twice and I think the third time will be a purchase.

EDIT: I've purchased a bottle of this, and my thought changed 180 degrees. I now totally agree with "fragranceluvr's" review. Once the top notes dry down, all you have remained with are violets and more violets. You have to test this one from beginning to end. In my initial review, I only judged the top notes, thinking that they had lasted the whole time, but this isn't the case. It's unoffensive and boring at best.

02 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 02 February, 2010)

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

A Scent by Issey Miyake

I really like this. It is cleaner than clean, with a lean towards green florals; a bit sweet too. Very soapy, but not in the harsh annoying way. As usual with Miyake frags, a little goes a long way here, one or two sprays is plenty. But for what occasion would any one wear this? Not sure, because the only color association I get with this is white, lots of white clothing and fixtures. It's too serious for a wedding, ridiculous for office wear, maybe on a bright spring Saturday lounging around a just cleaned and sparkly loft filled with white stuff.

03 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 11th November, 2009)

distortech's avatar

Mon Peche / My Sin by Long Lost Perfume

Anway you go around it - the extrait of this is absolutely stunning. I will cherish my bottle of this lovely time capsule forever.

distortech's avatar

Zibeline by Weil

I am with Brielle87 on this one - marvelous - I am very LUCKY to have a bottle of this masterpiece in my possession. Without a single doubt, this goes right up there with Guerlain's Jicky as a true classic. I dare say that Jean Desprez's wonderful Bal à Versailles (in it's civet laden cologne concentration) harkens back to this as a possible influence . . .

The civet note in the base this is absolutely stunning AND made even better by a lovely ambergris! Absolutely amazing!! The bottle I have was from France - Pre New York Weil - brought to the states in 1932 (indicated from the papers that came with it). I have read that it had to be reformulated several times due to lack of materials and wartime problems when the company moved to the United States as a result of the Nazi occupation during WWII. Unfortunately, again, from what I have read, the civet/ambergris note largely disappeared in later versions of this - being replaced by more spicy elements and sandalwood. I am sure it was still nice, but an awful shame to loose them!! However, rest assured that If I ever find any of the newer formulations, I'll snatch it up! I am sure it is fantastic too!

Perfect.

bokaba's avatar

Aramis 900 by Aramis

I wanted to like this but found too much of a floral mess. I usually like florals that concentrate on a theme or single flower rather than every flower known to man. Very medicinal indeed. I would go with something like Caron Le 3 Homme or Floris no 89.

03 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 15 November, 2009)

HDS1963's avatar

Old Spice White Water by Procter & Gamble

Tell you something, if Bond No9 released this, it would be purchased at the prices they charge.

Ok so here's how it went. I was in Tescos today and was looking to buy something for the sake of buying something, so I tried this. Walked around a couple of aisles and came back and bought it.

This has elements of Opus 1870, Cool Water a bit of Baldessarini original about it. Folks, this is really really nice and at a ridiculously low price. Smell expensive for next to nothing. And it lasts well too. Lovely dry down...

I really like this.

derekp's avatar

Red Sea by Martine Micallef

Micallef's site lists the notes as "flower", orangeblossom, rose, iris, sandel wood (sic) and musc, all of which I can detect to some degree. Once things come into focus, a warm, sweet, slightly spicy rose dominates the scent, along with a hint of orange blossom. I would strongly consider this a unisex. Not my style, but very nice.

SirSlarty's avatar

Lalique pour Homme by Lalique

Lalique pour Homme is a subtle yet classy style of scent. Reminds me of the following frags in different ways: Caron's The Third Man, Habit Rouge, Chanel Allure, and even Mitsouko (current edt version). There are chypre elements and the mossy drydown is quite prevalent on my shirt but not on the skin. On the skin it's more vanilla and lavender like Third Man. Sometimes a little bitter and peppery like Allure but not so much amber. Also, there's a powdery or dusty citrus quality like that of Habit Rouge but not so strong. Again, Lalique is subtle and good for a perfect gentleman's office cologne. I enjoy it as such.

Asha's avatar

Ambra Aurea by Profumum

Profumum Ambra Aurea

Notes: grey amber absolute (from luckyscent.com)

I'm pretty sure that grey amber is not the only ingredient in Ambra Aurea. I smell an absolutely huge balsamic and leathery labdanum note that follows the fragrance from beginning to end. In fact, AA is a deep amber color which could stain if sprayed on clothing, and I suspect the color comes mostly from its high labdanum content. Along with the labdanum, I smell vanilla, woods and incense, the latter being quite metallic and smoky. Ambra Aurea is extremely rich and warm, with excellent longevity and sillage. The incense and woods give the fragrance a bit of a head shop vibe, indeed, AA reminds me of a type of premium amber incense I used to burn long ago. Despite this association, Ambra Aurea seems so incredibly luxurious with what I can only assume are high quality ingredients. The balsamic notes are well balanced with some restrained sweetness from the vanilla, and the woody, smoky notes add a smidgeon of bitterness and piquancy. Perhaps the fact that the ingredients speak for themselves is the reason why any association with hippie ambers can be forgiven. Ambra Aurea satisfies in the way that feasting on a fine meal eases hunger--it feeds both the body and the soul.

Asha's avatar

Ambra Nera by Farmacia SS. Annunziata

Farmacia SS. Annunziata dal 1561 Ambra Nera

Notes: cypress, eucalyptus, amber, benzoin, vetiver, vanilla, patchouly (from luckyscent.com)

Ambra Nera starts with a combination of burnt sugar, smoke and vanilla. At first it seems as though AN will be a sweet, edible amber with lots of fluff and such. As it turns out, the caramel note is rather short lived, and what is revealed underneath is a delicate yet raunchy animalic, incensy amber. Indeed, I smell urinous notes, leather and the metallic tinge of smoky incense over a base of creamy, powdery vanilla, ample benzoin and a healthy, yet not overdone, dosage of labdanum. If there is patchouli in this fragrance, it is very well blended and barely recognizable as such. I was expecting AN to be close to some offering from Profumum, as the two houses seem to have parallel fragrance lines. In actuality, Ambra Nera smells more like Parfumerie Generale L'Ombre Fauve, especially in the middle and late stages. I happen to prefer L'Ombre Fauve by quite a bit, however, Ambra Nera is an interesting amber, especially for those who might like something funky. Its tendency is a bit toward the sweet side, which may make it seem a bit feminine, despite the raging animalics at the start of the development. Longevity is good--time to the deep drydown is approximately five hours. Sillage is moderate, especially toward the end.

tabbakh's avatar

D&G L'Amoureaux 6 by Dolce & Gabbana

If you sprayed this on one hand and I Am King on the other, I doubt you would be able to tell the difference.

Cologne Blanche by Christian Dior

I just love those olde-fashioned aromas of citrus and herbs in the top note, florals and heliotrope in the middle note and oakmoss and woods, oakmoss, tonka and musk in the bottom! It's very elegant and light-footed, and very decent - rather on the dry and cool side. Not really an innovation, but a masterpiece of perfection.

Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior

This a very delicate oriental spicy cologne, reminding my of Persian food with Basmati rice. I love its warmth and decent elegance - perfect if you like the dark notes of Youth-Dew but want something drier and lighter.

Marc Jacobs Splash Cucumber by Marc Jacobs

Not too complex, but an easy-going floral scent. Light and mellow.

JessicaGrace's avatar

Encens et Lavande by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

On me, the opening is incense, cold and dark. Tarry notes have a dreaded bottom-of-a-cold ashtray effect, but thankfully that doesn't last too long. Dry herbs bring a measure of relief in the heart; effect at this point is almost medicinal. Lavender is the last note to fully emerge. It's odd: I know that the concept of "masculine" and "feminine" scents is largely subjective, and I've never thought of lavender as a masculine scent before. Lavender essential oil was one of my favorite scents to wear long before I was ever interested in perfume as such. But the lavender here is strongly masculine in my mind, even as it gets sweeter and sweeter. This impression is so strong that when I sniff it I almost feel as if a stranger were standing behind me -- a man whose scent is much too sweet. Very odd. I will re-test this one, but right now I can't see myself every feeling comfortable in it. It's interesting though, and I respect it.

03 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 19 October, 2009)

Rose 31 by Le Labo

Very warm, rather exotic - like an incensey potpourri of wood shavings and rose petals on a bed of glowing embers. This was the best part for me; for a moment I thought I had just stepped into a lost ancient temple where dark-robed monks chant long-forgotten mantras in an incense-filled inner sanctum. But back to reality. I hate the cheapo lab bottle design but the drydown definitely smells 'high quality', much in the same vein as the better packaged Amouage's Jubilation XXV. And if you're looking for a masculine rose scent that commands respect, put ROSE 31 on your test list. You'll be glad you did.