Fragrance Reviews from October 2009

vintage*red's avatar

L'Eau de Jatamansi by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This starts out as a bright lemon-lime bergamot Earl Grey tea. Its sunny top notes end quickly and, on me, evolve into a slightly skanky "l'eau". I love lime in fragrances (see Sensi), but that note does not last long enough in this perfume to make it worthwhile. And the drydown is quite unpleasant. I find myself buying L'Artisan fragrances even though I know that I will not wear them, but they are so compelling and so interesting that I must occasionally take a whiff (see Dzing). This is not one of those fragrances...

adowds's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Valentino Gold by Valentino

Sweet but not cloying, I quite like this, though not one I'd wear personally. Reminds me of Body Shop's White Musk but has a little more body and character. In addition I find ambergris in the base, thankfully the ambergris is there in only a small dose.

Shaheen's avatar

cK one Summer 2009 by Calvin Klein

As listed on Fragrantica, the note breakdown is as follows:
    Top: mint, cucumber, lime, bergamot
    Middle: sea water, green apple, rosemary, lotus
    Base: rum, sandalwood, woodsy notes, oakmoss

Well, I don't smell ANY of these notes whatsoever. The top smells like some type of mixture of tropical fruit juices. Like maybe pineapple, mango, papaya, and something citrusy. It's simultaneously natural and synthetic smelling. I enjoy the top notes quite a bit. On my skin, however, the dry-down morphs into something that smells almost exactly like Downy liquid fabric softener (the original blue scent) mixed with the fruity top notes. Walking around wearing this fragrance makes me feel like I used way too much fabric softener in my wash. I just can't shake the association with Downy, and thus I do not like this.

Pollux's avatar

Argentina Argentina

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

Sampled L'Instant EdT thanks to Aromi and bought it after two full wears.

This is contemporary in style, subtle in a way both minimalism and political correctness demand, but done in such a way it does not feel boring - a good reason for the numerous mentions on the fact it is a safe scent. On the other hand, there are gourmand notes but these are not present in a uncomfortable way so common in many other present-day fragrances. The point would be that Guerlain’s L’Instant EdT is contemporary, but it shares the noble character found in classics.

In BN's forums many aficionados criticize L'Instant EdT's lack of silage and longevity, thus making the Extreme version the preferred one; I have to admit that I was inclined to think that this was the case, but once, after wearing it over the night, I could get whiffs of it when getting out of bed. My conclusion was that one might not sense it in its completeness while wearing it, but others might do as well.

25th October, 2009 (Last Edited: 08th November, 2009)

Pollux's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Kiehl's Original Musk by Kiehl's

Kiehl's Musk is a more complex, finer, longer lasting version of Jovan's Musk. Even though both are nice scents, I find them too floral, and beacuse of it, femenine.

As many reviewers mentioned, Kiehl's "musky" character is eclipsed due to the mid notes, in which the presence of the floral notes mentioned in the pyramid is notorious.

Longevity and sillage are remarkable, so beware of overapplication.

nonnative's avatar

Mitsouko by Guerlain

Just smelled a new sampler after a long time. Gosh, this perfume is a masterpiece! Complex and abstract. Materic and ethereal. I believe I previously smelled it only from the old bottle of my aunt. I can't perceive much of the fruit in it. Just flowers and wood. And fur. And pepper. I'm now incapsulated in the myth ... And I'll never be the same me.

Nihilist's avatar

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I tend to spray scents point blank. that really screws Opium up on my skin, it needs to cover a wide area. otherwise, ive certainly smelled worse, much worse in fact. that said, this 100mls will last me years and years. and thats because i wont be wearing it all the time.

my second lifetime blind buy, and first due to basenotes.

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

I try this today after few hours i can say i don't like it.Sorry i really wont to like it but this scent make me a headache.

Hugo Dark Blue by Hugo Boss

This is my first designer scent.I like it.It is synthetic yes it's longevity is bad but don't make you headache.Just quiet nice.more suitable for cold weather.

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I bay this blind on ebay based on the review on basenotes.From first smell i say ''no way''but drydown is good.I expect more from Rive Gauche .Just try before you bay.

teka248's avatar

Field Notes from Paris by Ineke

the only thing i don't like about this new ineke is the very opening-- a little too sweet for my taste. i'm not sure if this the lemongrass or not-- i have also seen some websites that list orange flower instead of lemongrass as a top note. the drydown is truly lovely. for all you patchouli haters out there-- i only got a whisper of patchouli, and it was wonderful. i also got a little of the leather/cedar and a pretty good whiff of tobacco flower. overall, a complex and sophisticated fragrance. note: i can imagine a man wearing this. it's definitely more on the feminine side, especially in the opening, but i'm a little surprised that i haven't heard more buzz about this being unisex. anybody agree who's tried "field notes"?

Boster's avatar

Bijan for Men by Bijan

My brother gave me a bottle; he didn't like it. I do.
    Someone said it's a fragrance for a saturday afternoon working around the house or working out; I agree. It's a man's invigorating (but not sporty) fragrance for a man. This stuff gives me energy. After 1 hour and the initial loudness wears off, it's quite reserved. Don't overapply and not for dinners or workplaces.
    Wear it and you'll want to do that extra mile or extra reps, or wax that damn car.

truelateral's avatar

Mitsouko by Guerlain

Warm and spicy, if I overheat at work then this scent billows out from me when I move. I've had several compliments on it, and while it's not my absolute favourite, it suits a certain mood. I'm not quite getting the old lady smell that is hitting other reviewers, but think I can smell how it might go down that route on someone else.

truelateral's avatar

Deseo by Jennifer Lopez

I agree with the beachy comments. This is a light, unprepossessing fragrance with coconut and beach traits. I wore it occasionally in the summer. Not too overpowering, not too remarkable, but very wearable and pleasant.

pinkfizzy's avatar

Cuir by Lancôme

I was going to order this online, but I found it at Winners today for $40! I love leathers, but I have a tendency to love the truly butch ones (Lonestar Memories, for instance), and since apparently I am a girl, people expect me to smell at least a bit girly. I know, I know, societally bound expectations of gender, etc, but most folks don't read smoke and hot leather as a "good" smell. And I take the bus a lot, and I feel like perfume has a bad rap. I don't want to inflict my weird tastes on a busful of strangers.

Anyway, Cuir de Lancome is a respectable lady of a leather fragrance. It opens citrussy but dry, then becomes powdery, like iris-scented talcum powder. I'm not a big fan of powdery scents, but this phase doesn't last long... although for a minute I wanted to scrub it off. But then it develops into a dry, yet sweet caramelly suede, with hints of bergamot and iris. The saffron is definitely present, and its bitterness reads as almost medicinal to me at first. However it soon blends beautifully with the leather.

This is definitely a retro smelling scent, and I can see why the re-issue didn't last long in department stores. To the very young it would most likely read as "mature". The original was developed in 1936 after all, and someone who wore it in the 30's would certainly be quite mature by now.

Although this is a outwardly a respectable lady of a leather, that doesn't mean it isn't sophisticated, intelligent and beautiful. The saffron, birch, patchouli and leather make it much more interesting and even twist subvert it's initially ladylike appearance a little by incorporating drier, more masculine notes into a Marlene Dietrich kind of whole. Perfectly made up, in heels, and a square shouldered pantsuit.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Cerruti Image by Cerruti

Got recently reacquainted with Cerutti IMAGE, a safe office scent for me in the late 1990s. I still love the mildly fruity but fresh minty opening but I don't care much for the sillage-shy middle which I find skirts a little too closely to 'boring' territory. I do however agree with earlier reviewers on the lightly sweet yet musky woods drydown; it's definitely sniff-worthy but just doesn't project well enough for me so I'd probably go heavier with the initial application. The best part of Image has to be its clever leverage-utilising spray mechanism - it is as user friendly as the IPOD clickwheel.

Celsius32's avatar

Israel Israel

Fierce for Men by Abercrombie & Fitch

This is a good fragrance, no matter what way you look at it. If I could put it into a metaphor: it reminds me
    of catchy modern pop classic hit song - it will never be considered as a true "classic", but everyone likes it nonetheless.
    People tend to forget that behind these "clothes-brand fragrances" is the same "nose" that has created polo blue (in this case).
    Very decent staying power, and the same with projection. Bottle design is not worth mentioning.

NillaGoon's avatar

Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune by Guerlain

Gorgeous juicy, sharp, holographic, flawless grapefruit to start with, but it only lasts 20 minutes or so. The aftermath is powdery-vanillic and smells like extract of grandmother. The grapefruit note disappears completely. As much as I love the grapefruit blast, the drydown is just a bit too feminine and too non-grapefruity for me.

NillaGoon's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS series 8 Energy C: Grapefruit by Comme des Garçons

I get no grapefruit at all from this, even in the top note. The predominant note is mandarin orange... well, more like mandarin orange juice or sweetened grapefruit pulp with no hint of peel. It quickly morphs into a rather generic fruity/floral fragrance - perfectly inoffensive, but having nothing to do with grapefruit.

perree's avatar

Rochas Lui by Rochas

if i trick my mind thinking this is a great smell it will smell like an woodsy incense kind of smell

but

if i were a pedestrian walking by getting a whiff at the sillage then it smells like an old man, more like an old-fut whom had some happy spraying problem because his olfactory sense is so dulled 10 plus sprays smells like half a spritz of axe

underrated gem?? please, that's over exaggerated

Aspen for Women by Coty

i developed a contact allergy to this and some other coty fragrances i loved this sweet fresh scent but had to pass it on to a family member who wasnt allergic contact rash no fun!

Delicious by Gale Hayman

sweet like elizabeth ardens sunflowers but possibly stronger/longer lasting a light hand is called for to prevent sugar overdose!

Glamourous by Ralph Lauren

the top note smells like Johnson&johnson baby shampoo to me nice but just nice not to die for

Shafali Fleur Rare by Yves Rocher

a rich tobbaccoy fragrance also some hints of balsaam soap clean could have sold well as unisex but marketed as womens-wind song and norrell are similar.

Sheer Essences by Avon

Avon's sheer essences came in square clear glass1/2 oz. bottles .Extreamely long lasting fragrance oils- you could still smell it after showering! they came in 4-6 single scent bottles -sandalwood,patchouli,lilac,peony,gardinia these were good as far as avon goes but still had the AVON scent underlying the oils.

Pavlova by Five Star Fragrances

recieve this in a sampler minis set sniffs like a childs cologne perhaps like tinkerbell cosmetics? /loves baby soft.

Nile_Etland's avatar

Le Maroc pour Elle by Tauer

I've been working my way through a selection of Andy Tauer's samples & loving most of them, on the whole it's been difficult to decide which one(s) to put on the wish-list - when I can afford it (or them), but Maroc Pour Elle was very easy to classify - a definite NO. On the whole I like my perfumes on the rich side, and I love incense, but this one is heavy and reeks waaay too much of head-shops for me - and OMG is it persistent.

Bordello by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

Bordello smells of purple creativity to me. Every time I smell it, I think of the floral department of a craft store. The plum and the amaretto are the strongest part of the scent in my opinion. It's nice but a little artificial.

Dana O'Shee by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

To me, this is almonds, almonds, almonds, and I love it. I'm disappointed by how light a fragrance it is once it's on my skin, however - it becomes almost undetectable very shortly after application.

Dorian by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

I feel that there is a slightly overripe, corrupt scent that speaks to the story of Dorian Gray in this perfume. On the other hand, I should think it would become more corrupted on the drydown, but it doesn't - it gets sweeter and purer. There is definitely a bit of tea and sugar in this smell.