Fragrance Reviews from October 2009

Kyoto by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

Smells of licorice wet. On the drydown, moves through a light sandalwood phase, and eventually becomes ultra-feminine thanks to the cherry blossom.

O by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

Yuck - to me, this is the smell of after-sex with a lot of lube. The amber and the vanilla interact in indecent, obscene ways in this scent. I think the amber is where this scent goes sour.

Sin by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

This scent made me decide I don't particularly care for patchouli and sandalwood together, but I think it's mostly the patchouli that I dislike. It screams "hippie" which just isn't me. It's also a very strong smell with my body chemistry.

Siren by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

The notes: “White ginger, jasmine, and a touch of vanilla and apricot.”

The impression: Old lady smell. I think the jasmine overtakes every other note in this perfume and stomps on them, leaving only that sweet, elderly woman scent floating about. It's too strong for me.

Zombi by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

Zombi smelled green, as one would expect from the name, but not the earthy, mossy green I anticipated. Instead, it was a bright electric green, wholly masculine and overwhelming.

montmorency's avatar

DKNY Women by Donna Karan

DK says it has the smell of wet NY cobblestones in it. Not sure wet NY cobblestones have a geographically distinctive smell, but I love the generic petrichor of wet cobblestones. Still, I wouldn't want to smell LIKE wet cobblestones, and fortunately DKNY Women doesn't. It's an enchantingly simple, jolly, fizzy grapefruit cocktail, best for a sunny day, or perhaps, as the old song says, 'the dullest morn which heralds in the fairest day'. I bought this by accident, and have never regretted it - I like it when I don't want to be too serious about anything, including perfume.

25 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 21st January, 2014)

JaimeB's avatar

Antaeus by Chanel

Antaeus is a masterpiece of its genre. The combination of myrtle and clary sage in the top note is an incredibly powerful reinforcement of the woody notes of cedar and sandalwood, and the perfect complement for the chypre accord of bergamot, oakmoss and patchouli. In fact the patchouli function in the chypre accord is helped by labdanum in the base, as well as being strengthened by the animalic notes of beeswax and castoreum. This scent has a wonderful sillage and longevity. It is attributed legendary powers of seduction. That's as may be, but for whatever reason, it undeniably turns heads. Some people put this down as a power scent from the 80s; they may have reason to categorize it that way, but it is paradigmatic of its type, and far above even the best of its imitators.

trikkirikki's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Venise / Venice by Yves Rocher

It's been a long time since I last visited Venice the fragrance, but my memories are all good. It's a beautiful oriental and I can agree that it reminds me of Kingdom. The body lotion is superb and if you can find anything in the line, it's well worth a try.

bokaba's avatar

Ambre Canelle by Creed

This is what a musky, ambery Victorian soap smells like! The opening is heady, brash, and unrestrained so I suggest you hide in the bathroom for thirty minutes after application. The raucous opening quickly subsides leaving a faint, close to the skin powder redolent of jasmine, bay leaf, ambergris, musk, cinnamon leaf, and a dash of lavender. After you get past the opening, this is quite a delicate scent, but dare not over-apply.

26 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th November, 2009)

pasha's avatar

Herrera for Men by Carolina Herrera

This is supposedly Angelina Jolie's favorite scent to wear.

Curious.

adowds's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Ocean Lounge by Escada

Would be a perfect alternative to Vera Wang 'Princess'. This is a sugary-sweet berry fragrance that could only suit a little girl.

adowds's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Géranium pour Monsieur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

For the most part I feel it's menthol not mint that governs 'Geranium'. Now in thruth I can pick out a faint trace mint, but only occasionally. I do like this, it's fresh and simple but it's just not striking enough or long enough lasting to justify the price.

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Dolce Vita by Christian Dior

Sophisticated, uplifting floral ,sandalwood ,vanilla combo that makes it irresistable to me. Sweet but not overly sweet, perfect for any occasion ... I just love this scent.
    Ths fragrance is subtle,chic but lasting.
    The bottle and packaging are wonderful, so Dior and I am a sucker for Christian Dior fragrances !

Arpeggiator's avatar

Germany Germany

Gendarme by Gendarme

Gendarme starts with a sweet flowery note. The jasmine dominates the “overture”. I can also notice a very light verbena note, which gives a whiff of freshness, but is drowned out by the heavy floral note. I would not describe Gendarme at this stage as “clean” or “soapy” at all. As SirSlarty said it’s more a smell of a mild baby lotion or powder. This might be the reason for the appealing effect of Gendarme on women: No woman can resist the smell of a baby :-)

The rest of the story is quickly related. It doesn’t happen much anymore. It seems to be linear without great development. The floral notes persist for another 6 hours. Staying-power is quite good (6 hours minimum on my skin) with defensive sillage. Regarding all these complaints about the poor longevity I expected different!

For a floral masculine it’s lacking of a real counterpart (woody or balsamic accords) in the base or middle notes which is a precondition for this class of fragrance. I can hardly imagine a man wearing Gendarme, but perhaps could be suit to a young woman (between the age of 0-2 years ;-).
    By the way, where is the leather which is mention as a base note in the description? I can’t detect it.
    Due to the imbalance: thumbs down (rating 4/10).

fragranceseeker's avatar

Solo Loewe Eau de Cologne Intense by Loewe

Incomprehensible as to why it has the same name as original Solo.(marketing? an attempt to secure the foothold that Solo undoubtedly has on seriously up-market male fragrance?). Anyway, same bottle, different coloured metal insert in glass and cap. Serious packaging!
    I was unimpressed at first, thinking perhaps it was an attempt at the mainstream: "how fresh-smelling can we make a male fragrance" brigade.(A stab at the "Cool Water" devotee perhaps?).
    Well, I actually do like this very much. I am an admirer of Loewe products, so perhaps I am a little swayed by brand loyalty. It is totally different to it's stablemate. The top notes suggest a lighter fragrance, which it undoubtedly is, but here lighter does not mean less effective or potent.Thus it is very, very long lasting, and was still easily detectable on a shirt I had worn a few days later.So longevity is there in spades(again!)
    The mid and basenotes are quite floral, but with a citrus edge that defines the masculinity of this fragrance.Probably another winner from Loewe, for me anyway.
    Reassuringly expensive?(where have I heard that before?)

Balvon's avatar

Lithuania Lithuania

New Tradition by Etro

Etro New Tradition

Old cheap cologne for men. Similar to Kouros YSL .I don't like it.

Balvon's avatar

Lithuania Lithuania

Calvin Klein Man by Calvin Klein

It smells just like every other men's fragrance. But it's not bad every-day-scent.

montmorency's avatar

Tabac Blond by Caron

It is said that if a Barbie doll's proportions were translated into living flesh and blood, she'd be 8 feet tall, her eyes would be the size of dinner plates, and her cervical vertebrae would snap with the weight of her head if her chest didn't completely unbalance her first and send her face-down onto the floor. That's how Tabac Blond feels -- a gorgeous, unsettling, hugely proportioned monster whose exaggerated presence - all swaggering leather and throaty vanilla, the volume on each turned up to 11 - makes me feel I ought to seek cover immediately.

I can see that even in what's apparently a greatly debased formulation this is still a remarkable composition; but it's a period piece it reminds me that there was still a large chunk of the 20th century that needed strong perfumes to cover the week between baths and the ponk of wool clothes that were sponged down instead of washed. Some reviewers have said that Tabac Blond is about the liberation of women; but, kind of like Barbie, this ancient specimen reminds me instead of all the roles and chores women don't have to put up with any more. As with some of the modernist art with which it is coterminous, I admire it but I could never love it.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Boss Number One by Hugo Boss

It was a huge relief to rediscover Number One, having tried and been mightily unimpressed with the Boss line of fragrances. I do recall this being more potent in its original guise, but the spirit and notes are almost identical. Though they have few notes in common, the opening reminded me of Versace L'homme, an earthy and herbal quality that is very masculine, and deeply satisfying. This potent opening is quite brief, but the honeyed heart notes of jasmine, combined with the rough edges of the rosemary, provide a warm if somewhat subdued middle phase. The drydown is even more restrained, with a very simple base, further adding to the general feeling of reticence. Initially I felt that it had poor longevity, but it is actually quite long-lived, just very unobtrusive and contained.

26 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 04 December, 2009)

Corrado Finardi's avatar

YSL pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

very simple yet astonishing frag,
    lemon and verbena in the opening, laying down on a pavement of thymus-lavender accord with vetiver. very good in my opinion, and I'm very curious to try the concentree version, since I consider this first simple but unusual in the end

Boster's avatar

L'Homme Sage by Divine

Really quite a quiet and background scent. I'm not crazy about the liquorice, but it remains blended and subdued until you really think about it. It has a bit of a soapy and iris character that I don't like. Never detected any sage.
    Hard to know whether it should be applied heavy or light. Right in the middle for me. I wouldn't suggest to anyone not to try it. Could be an easy default scent.

Desert's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Joop! Homme Electric Heat by Joop!

Very nice. Reminds me a bit of Body Kouros, but this one is softer. Excellent summerfragrance.

tsprague1's avatar

In Bloom (original) by Avon

I love this perfume. It is rather light and flowery, but not heavy flowery.

NillaGoon's avatar

Molecule 01 by Escentric Molecules

Goes on with a pleasant and woody scent reminiscent of the original Off bug spray, but far lighter. I was only able to smell it for about a minute, after which the odor completely disappeared. I can still smell a bit of a prickly, cedar-like odor if I sniff directly on skin, but after half an hour Molecule 01 has failed to resurface as an ambient scent.

I'd suspect anosmia, but this seems to be a common story. I had better luck with Molecule 02, which although similarly ethereal in fragrance did have the "coming and going" property that some have described for this one.

As far as this product being a colossal scam on the perfume-buying public, all I can say is that I'm happy it's available for sampling. Even if you wouldn't wear it as a fragrance, it's useful as an educational resource since Iso E Super is so prevalent in modern perfumes.

Endless79's avatar

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Dzing! already has a lot of love, but I'm just going to add mine to it!

On first smelling, this was absolutely a must-have. Right away, I got all of the animalic aspects of it, which caused me to laugh out loud in delight. I think if a perfume can cause spontaneous exhibitions of joy, it's pretty darn special! I didn't get the whole vanilla-cardboard thing at first, just the leather and animalic scents. But, the more I wear it, the more I can reconfigure it and see how it certainly does smell of cardboard. I prefer to keep myself focused on the animalic aspects, though, because that's what delights me the most. I enjoy how I can shift perceptions within this one perfume and get different aspects of the circus.

I've heard a reference to cat fur or paw pads in descriptions of this, and I have to agree with that. At one point I randomly picked up my cat to give him a hug and I nuzzled myself behind his ears and totally smelled Dzing! I thought, hey, they're right!

I wear this one all the time, and every time I do, I feel like I'm laying on the belly of a tiger! Brilliant!

nishantdavid's avatar

India India

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

This is a very decent frag. It is not at all over the edge. Very refined and contemporary. If you could smell refinement this would be it.very fresh and long lasting. Every fragrance lover must try this once in his lifetime.
    You wont be dissapointed ......I Bet

rivy's avatar

Mèmoire Chérie by Long Lost Perfume

I used that perfume years ago and it was so romantic. I cannot buy it now and I can tell you the world is missing out on a wonderful romantic perfume.

ManAboutWorld's avatar

Cuir Venenum 03 by Parfumerie Generale

One for the self-indulgent wearer. I fell in love with this the first time I smelt it and returned a few months later to purchase. Every sniff has me in heady raptures. It's the end of a debauched night, it's spilled beer and crushed grape; the warmth of a familiar drunken lover on a winter's night.

Less of a reaction on those around me than other less complex fragrances.

evinick's avatar

Greece Greece

Patchouly by Etro

Interesting interpretation of a classic oriental scent component from Etro. For the one’s who dislike patchouli, this is a good reason to change their minds. For the fans, maybe a way to find out more about its multidimensional character. Unlike other patchouli scents this one is soft, refined and quite light. After a brief hesperidic opening you discover an earthy, dirty and mysterious heart with the note of semi dried tobacco leaves being more underlined which along with subtle spices and woods create a beautiful yet unusual leather accord. While sweetness is kept at minimum the woody character is more projected especially at the base. Sensual but not complex, oriental but not so rich, an overall well balanced choice for all year round.

27 October, 2009

evinick's avatar

Greece Greece

Benetroessere Raving by Etro

Ambiguous Etro. Impressive fresh opening with a mix of exotic fruits and a touch of cinnamon that leads to a rather disappointing warm floral-spicy heart. Too much vanilla and no woods for the base. Overall not bad but quite common and boring.

27 October, 2009