Fragrance Reviews from October 2009

machula's avatar

Slovakia Slovakia

Yvresse / Champagne by Yves Saint Laurent

don't be fooled - despite the peach and apricot opening combo, this is a full-fledged chypre. the opening is clearly peachy; the peach is rather jamy (though not sweet), nicely supported by cumin in the background. the cumin in yvresse is not as animalic and 'sweaty' as in mcqueen's kingdom, it rounds up the peach and gives it a nice, deep aspect. the fruitiness then steps back a little (but never fully disappears, followed by a hint of rose) and the classic chypre notes become more prominent, claiming the territory to make sure nobody confuses this nice little thing with a fruity floral (according to the notes, there is also carnation and cinnamon, but I didn't really get these two). the scent doesn't really change that much, its development is rather subdued.
    as a whole, it reminds me of a good white white, a bit bubbly but not really dry like champagne should be. to my nose, this is a very optimistic and cheerful scent. if you love traditional chypres and unusual twists, try this. one of my favourites.

arabesque's avatar

Happy by Clinique

My mom got a free bottle of this when I was a kid and she gave it to me. I was 10 or 11 years old. I wore it because it was perfume, not because it smelled wonderful. I agree with kmfdm10392, it does smell like a latex balloon, which I find to be a bad thing. I developed an aversion to the perfume after owning a bottle for a couple of years. Synthetic, unpleasant and plastic.... seems almost carcinogenic.

taliaseki's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Kai by Kai

Everyone accents on the gardenia but Kai has toxicating dose of lily descent upon gardenia . I love florals but Kai is much for me. Too strong; away from neatness and delicacy. Like o punch on the nose... Gardenias liles and jasmines are nice but you cannot put them altogether out of mesure and expect it to be a good scent.
    All these strong flowers on top of eachother should be coming from an elementery way of thinking.
    I like taste of danish blue, i also like crabs and curry. So i should get a great dish if i put these three in a bowl, shouldn't i? mixing all these preponderant flowers is risky and kai fails. Kai without a composition and artistry is tasting just unsophisticated and overpowering to me.

bokaba's avatar

Millésime Impérial by Creed

Imperial is musky, sweaty, and exceedingly French (as to discordantly mask body odors I mean). Nonetheless, Imperial is one of Creed’s best recent launches (vastly inferior to the likes of GIT and RSL), but acceptable nonetheless. The opening is bergamot, some kind of fruit, and musk. Soon after, the ambergris adds distinction to the compositions. Imperial smells incredibly similar to Azzaro Black/Silver minus the pungent caraway seed and with added ambergris. Imperial does have a certain flair of a middle-aged man who still thinks it is the 1970s. I would certainly try before you buy because the musk is very powerful and unbalanced.

27 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th November, 2009)

lookingglass's avatar

The One by Dolce & Gabbana

It may be sacreligious to say, but The One reminds me of Coco all dried out with some peach cobbler and vanilla ice cream! I reach for The One when Coco is just a little too serious, when I still want something dense and rich and mature smelling, but just a little more fun. I'd have to say she my favorite fruity floral. That peach-vanilla musk combo makes me weak in the knees!

27 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 05 November, 2009)

lookingglass's avatar

The One by Dolce & Gabbana

27 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 05 November, 2009)

lilkcceleb's avatar

Flowerbomb by Viktor & Rolf

When I went to Dillards to give my friend her sample Of Above by Fred Miller (www.FredHMiller.com) the vendor gave me a sample of this. This is one of the best perfumes I have smelled in a long time! I was told that this is V&R first women's perfume, & they nailed it! A Very Pretty Floral Fragrance!

GFF Uomo by Gianfranco Ferré

A harsh rose chypre that settles into a decent floral vetiver and sandalwood drydown. The rose is especially strong throughout and reminds me of the current Z Zegna Extreme.

Lancetti Uomo by Lancetti

A dry woody chypre with a rose note. A bit more bearable than other designer rose chypres (GFF Uomo for one in fact it's quite similar). What makes this a intriguing rose chypre is the non-animalic musk note at the bottom. Polished musk I'd say with a touch of sweet but with all the dirty greenness of the oakmoss and woods it clashes a little with the rest of the fragrance. But how interesting would things be if all was balanced equally all the time? Still, some of the notes are a little brash but still smells unique and good.

Since it's discontinued and little hard to find, get a mini to try it out if you are a fan of rose and oakmoss.

Touch for Men by Fred Hayman

An amberry fougere. Powdery yet "clean" but not dusty powder. Very much like a babershop-esque shaving cream or shaving soap. And the amber in this isn't sweet and must be the contributing accord for the powdery effect. Along with lavender, it's a solid "dad's shaving soap" cologne. Towards the drydown it gets a little spicy. Comparisons to Brut, Neutrogena's Rainbath and also Dana's Canoe are all in order. Touch seems to be stronger and last a little longer.

I like the scent but not enough to get a bottle (very cheap) just because it's not quite my style.

adowds's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Volupté by Oscar de la Renta

There's plenty of body to Volupte, it's sweet, rich and floral with incredible lasting power. Everything sits on a base of ambergris, though I'm certainly not fan it's accompanied by plenty of patchouli, so one gets the character of the amber but not the oftentimes nausating fecal note.

Volupte is indeed very nice and it carries a certain amount of feminine elegance and maturity.

xistrot's avatar

Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta by Acqua di Parma

An excellent fragrance made in the style of an eau de cologne. Has surprisingly good longevity for a cologne.

freckleface1217's avatar

Cashmere Mist by Donna Karan

I remember the first time I smelled this fragrance. It was familiar, and yet I couldn't give it a positive association. I spent months trying to identify the fragrance. And when it dawned on me that it smells like urinal cake, I understood why I couldn't like it..

Kuttykutty's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Arpège by Lanvin

If I would ask a random person to smell this fragrance out of the bottle, they would probably say that it has an old lady-sort of smell to it, and maybe it has. But regardless, this perfume makes me feel like an old fashioned femme fatale. It is luxourious, yet simple: the very definition of the kind of sofisticated femininity that doesn't have to boast itself. To me, this is the fragrance equivalent to the little black dress.

Halston Z-14 by Halston

HALSTON Z-14's opening citrus is very similar to Bowling Green's - green and mildly spicy, dry but not harsh. However unlike the rampaging cardamom in BG, the coriander and cinnamon are much more agreeable partners here and compliment the herbs and woods middle rather well, allowing for a smoother transition to a leathery amber-musk drydown. Unfortunately the retro 70's vibe is strong on this one; spritzing Z-14 is almost like clothing myself in bell bottoms, a tight long sleeved shirt with flared collars and other kitschy accessories from that era. Not a particularly flattering look for me unless I happen to be auditioning for an episode on That 70's Show. And that is the only reason why I won't be wearing even such a well-structured scent anytime soon.

Jacomo de Jacomo Rouge by Jacomo

Once in a long while there comes a fragrance which makes me question the wisdom of paying top dollar for niche or luxury scents made from supposedly high quality ingredients (read: highly quality profit margins). JACOMO DE JACOMO ROUGE is one of those. Priced to match any drugstore release but performs more like a virtuoso - beguilingly sweet, yet smoky and sensual - it leaves many designer scents red-faced. So don't act surprised if a woman starts complimenting you on your scent. It certainly happened to me.

L'Eau Bleue D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Unless you've had positive experiences with herbal scents or possess an enlightened attitude towards anything weird in general, you're likely to find L'EAU BLEUE D'ISSEY's rosemary dominated citrus opening as unpalatable as bitter medicine. So I'm not surprised to read a few negative reviews here. But good things do come to those who wait, the rosemary receding well enough for the ginger, lavender and juniper berry accords to take centerstage and paint the scentscape in gorgeous hues of dark and deep green. At this juncture I can't help thinking, surely 'Bleue' is a misnomer. Then something interesting happens - the lush greenery all but vanishes and I'm left with a freshness that reminds me somewhat of cool ocean sprays. Hahaha! You certainly got me there, Jacques Cavallier. This IS 'BLEUE' after all!

artp's avatar

Tailspin by Lucien Lelong

I have just dabbed a bit of vintage "Tailspin" on and what a shock!
    The name says it all! After a short blast of unrecognisable flowers (very short)
    it plumets to tars, musks and an almost medicinal coaltar soap then a soft clean reassuring dry down.
    Fascinating!! I am wondering who would have worn it as it is far from friendly and 'come hither-ish'.
    In short, not one I can fall in love with, confusing and dark but amazing and well worth an extra sniff. Love it!

artp's avatar

Eau de Lubin by Lubin

This is a very odd perfume... After a cold blast of ginger and other spices you get a tingly dose of lemons. this goes on for an unusual length which sadly becomes more and more sour as it develops. I kept wanting to find a little bit of vanilla or something in it to give some body to it but no, empty, empty.. This could be interesting but the whole thing seems so cold and hollow it just became unpleasant.
    Finally the dry down... I could not work out what it reminded of and it kept snagging at my mind, then it hit me... Tesco own brand "cola"!!!
    This horrible drink was a childhood party stand by when parents were too cheap and thought the children would not notice!!!
    I really want to like this one, it is interesting and quirky but it is so cold, lacking in base support and bitter that I can't (not to mention the childhood torture) so, no, it is not a favorite...

27 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 28 October, 2009)

dhminholi's avatar

Cigar Aficionado by Cigar Aficionado

Maybe I got a old bottle. But, I think this smells like old perfum. Possible the worst perfum I ever smell.

NillaGoon's avatar

Mr. Hulot's Holiday by CB I Hate Perfume

I haven't seen the movie, but to me this fragrance suggests sunshine, scrub brush and grasses growing in vacant lots, and plastic food containers that haven't quite lost their factory-fresh tang. Clean, subtle, and inoffensive. This fragrance would be very much at home in a bar of soap.

The "water perfume" version is relatively dilute. I applied a full coat to both inner forearms, waited for the water to evaporate, and recoated both arms, using half a 1ml sample. This is about the amount needed for a clear impression of the scent. Unlike some of the other CBIHP offerings, this one is pretty linear; it doesn't start with a loud blast of something that's quite different from the body. Longevity seems like it would be pretty good - I washed it off after a couple of hours to try something else, but there had been no noticeable diminution in scent.

nishantdavid's avatar

India India

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Eau d'Été Summer Edition by Issey Miyake

A very stupid scent. The opening is of awsome citrus. but then it turns to the smell of raw beaten eggs ready to be turned into an omellete. Gave the bottle away. Didnt expect this from issey miyake.

MrsG's avatar

Alien by Thierry Mugler

GAH!! :( This stuff smells like my grandmum's (rest her) notorious 'spring tonic (that had ingredients you were better off not knowing about but was reported to have moonshine and turpentine in it somewhere) with a hefty dose of cinnamon and left-over-from-1969-patchouli thrown in. If there's Jasmine in there anywhere, I can't smell it. I've scrubbed my poor wrist half raw, doused it with alcohol and STILL can't get the stench off! It's bad when something smells so horrid that the dog starts pawing his nose and the horses turn tail and gallop away. HOW DO I GET THIS GAWD AWfUL STUFF OFF????

Cacharel Pour L'Homme by Cacharel

One of my top list fragrances , clean and fresh.
    Great smell close to skin , and when against the wind emanate a fresh-soapy-amazing aura... one of the best in my opinion.
    Highly recommended !!!

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

This juice is temperamental , sometimes a soapy-leathery-flower from the beginning , or a burning tire , depends on how much you had applied on skin , and
    when against the wind emanates a fresh-unique-amazing aura , a very different smell when close to skin... I think this is the great deal about fahrenheit .... only who can note this detail knows how amazing fahrenheit is.
    One of the best fragrances in my opinion !!!

Oscar de la Renta pour Lui by Oscar de la Renta

A blast from the past !!!
    A great powerfull fragrance ... wear it carefully ... because this beast is uncontrollable
    This is not for the young crowd... it's a real man's fragrance !
    Two thumbs up !!!

Connexion by O Boticário

One of the best , or the best fragrance I ever had.
    This is a unique-sophisticated fragrance from Brasil , buy it blind and you will not be disappointed , this gem is unique , wow !
    There's nothing similar to this on market , believe me !
    Words can't describe how pleasent is this , try it !
    Two thumbs up !!!

promqueen's avatar

Red Door Velvet by Elizabeth Arden

This one is underrated..although a "flanker", this is nothing like its namesake. The top notes are fruity, almost cloyingly so, but after about half an hour, this segues into something clean and bright, with notes of wood and tea. The dry down is clean and woody, and the scent has good longevity.

27 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th November, 2009)

desmondpereira's avatar

YSL pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I have been associated with this iconic fragrance since 1977, in my Disco days and even until now!

Back then, fashion androgyny ruled, so I had the EDT (it was bottled more stylishly by the famous designer, Pierre Dinand), parfum in a mini-manbag-refillable-spray (a beautiful deep red, silver and black -trimmed atomiser), soap, shampooing, after-shave balm; and anything else that was branded YSL.

Even my younger sister wore this scent then almost exclusively because she favoured more masculine-oriented perfumes, although she frequently wore Rive Gauche and Paris by YSL as well.

Yves Saint Laurent was the darling celebrity of the haute fashion and jet-set world; he was King! The fragrance was launched with a nude YSL sporting lion-mane hair, a full beard and moustache and his signature heavy-framed spectacles; very late-70's chic!

In those days, there weren't many notable male fragrances by fashion designers available, other than Paco Rabanne pour homme, Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior and Aramis to name only a few of the prestige and popular ones on the market which are still popular among their loyal, mature fans!

Even though I love this iconic and beautifully masculine fragrance because of what it represents to me of my nostalgia and, I can only say that in honesty, the fragrance either suits the wearer or not. There are no in-betweens.

I'm fortunate that it has always suited my skin and I have received many compliments wearing it; but I have smelt it on heavier-set men who tend to perspire a lot in the heat and on them, it is nothing short of nauseating! I think the chemical clash of perspiration and some of the ingredients in the composition may react negatively.

It's no different to any other popular, sweet, stronger, classic scents like KOUROS/Body KOUROS by YSL, Le Male/Fleur du Male by JPG and JOOP! pour homme, etc in the heat and dripping perspiration. They're better in cooler weather and are less animalic.

Don't be put off by the unusual reviews already posted - try it lavishly on your skin and then decide if you're a YSL/PH man/woman or not.

Reviewers have mentioned that this fragrance is versatile enough for jeanswear, casual, office and boardroom wear as well as formal occasions - they're absolutely correct!

The uniqueness of classic fragrances of the past is that they were built on less-advanced and more traditional methods and ingredients of perfumery; so that's why older fragrances tend not to have a youth-oriented market following. They have been brought up on the sharp and synthetic appeal of CK One by Calvin Klein - what else would the benchmark be?

The EDT and EDP (concentrate) are both fine to use depending on the occasion, and again, as others have mentioned, it does suit a wearer with a more 'classic' image and tastes; but definitely not for the younger wearer!

28 October, 2009

JaimeB's avatar

Yatagan by Caron

This one used to have bulging muscles, but has been reformulated down to a slimmer figure. It still has some power, and for nostalgic reasons, I continue to like it, though it is no longer what it was in the 70s and 80s. (Yes, children, I do remember those days: I was already grown up then!) Yatagan retains an unusual floral-aromatic accord within the chypre genre. What it seems to lack now is projection and longevity. Wishing for it to be what it once was is an exercise in futility; it still boasts a lively presence for its unusual character and its animalic undertones. I'll say it's still a thumbs-up. Many more alterations, however...

28 October, 2009