Fragrance Reviews from October 2009

Amit's avatar
    Amit

Psychotrope by Parfumerie Generale

I've spent some time with it by now and while I initially was mildly impressed, the more time I spent with Psychotrope, the more it grew on me -- now it reminds me greatly of a few days I've spent at certain places, with leather jackets tainted with aromas of crushed flower petals and general flora, a rather positive association, personally, and a fulfilling olfactory experience. A slight warning though, it'll come off as rather feminine upon application. Just let it settle and prepare to be dazzled.

Louslice's avatar
    Louslice

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

This is a pleasant scent, rich and green feeling. It goes on herbal, then mellows out to a more sensuous, richer smell that lasts very well.

The problem is that it has no real direction. I know it is supposed to have mint, coffee, and chocolate, among other things, and if I try very hard I can see some of those notes. But the problem is, it doesn't smell like mint, coffee, or chocolate. It smells like some chemicals that someone decided reminded them of mint, coffee, and chocolate, but really don't compare to the real thing.

The goal of perfumery for me is to evoke images with smell. The best perfumes evoke the strongest images, and the true masters can pull out some of the deepest memories and emotions using their scents.

Using chemicals that bear little semblance to the listed notes, as this one does, doesn't help. it leaves your perfume soulless, lacking direction, and ultimately unsatisfying. Some people love trying to guess at what the various chemicals area meant to smell like, but not me. It might seem interesting to list chocolate as a note, and something in there does smell a little like chocolate, but it doesn't bring the image of chocolate to my mind. Together, it all smells very nice, but I don't love it and never will.

Islandwriter's avatar
    Islandwriter

Armani Attitude by Giorgio Armani

By far the best Armani. Sophisticated and will use it regularly.

atomickitty's avatar
    atomickitty

Queen by Queen Latifah

This fragrance smells absolutely nothing like what I had hoped it would. It's like a nuclear bomb of vanilla cake. It's far too sweet, with none of the sophistication I'd hoped for. When I sprayed this on a card at work, some of the spray overshot the card and got onto the glass counter. No amount of scrubbing removed it; I had to just wait for it to die down. Unbearable.

lookingglass's avatar
    lookingglass

Cinnabar by Estée Lauder

Launched the year of my birth, this scent takes me all the way back and into the present-bohemians getting dressed up. I remember this scent filling the house when company was comming over. It is approachable, friendly, and earthy.

lookingglass's avatar
    lookingglass

Cinnabar by Estée Lauder

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

parfums*PARFUMS series 8 Energy C: Lime by Comme des Garçons

A lime complete with the tartness. Gets woodsy as it dries down (which is quick but I don't mind that). I felt very lethargic and decided to see if the "energy" part of the name would kick start me and it did. It's like a 5-hour energy drink but smells better (and last 5 minutes but it was awesome). I don't want a thumbs up to be deceiving so it's a neutral.

Galleddrim's avatar
    Galleddrim

Trussardi Inside Man by Trussardi

This is a wonderful fragrance. Sweet, but not in an overpowering way. I don't get lemon on the top at all. It's is sort of citrusy, but to my nose it smells more like pineapple. This is nicely blended with a coffee note. I could swear I smell a sort of a cocoa note. The tobacco is very, VERY faint, and drifts in and out. Sometimes I smell it, sometimes I don't. And the woods underneath and nicely balanced.

Overall a very classy fragrance. Decent sillage and longevity.

Zhara8's avatar
    Zhara8

Cara by Farmacia SS. Annunziata

Jordan Almonds, marshmallows, very very fresh play doh, and a general light, happy aroma - maybe just the faintest trace of orange spice cookies? Now THIS is what Child should have smelled like. Certainly pulls the best bits from my childhood memories. very nice, although wears close to the skin. Worst of all, this sweet, gentle fragrance disappears rather quickly. Ha! Just like the few and fleeting moments of childhood happiness.

JonB's avatar
    JonB

Homme de Grès by Grès

Take Blenheim Bouquet, add some aromatic herbs, and a small amount of powder, and you have an idea what HdG smells like. This is wonderful stuff. It's a crying shame this is discontinued, though it seems quite easy to still find it on the internet. A big thumbs up from me.

softstarlight's avatar
    softstarlight

Popy Moreni by Popy Moreni

I smelt this on my daughter, who was using a friends bottle of it, and I fell in love with it. I love patchouli, bergamot and ylang ylang, and the slight hint of coffee sets it off wonderfully at the end. It reminds me of an old fashioned delicate perfume. I found it warm, happy, soft, and youthful. I just hope I can find it in the stores somewhere :)

the_tourist's avatar
    the_tourist

French Lover / Bois d'Orage by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

As I read through the thumbs-up reviews here, I feel as though I'm reviewing a completely different fragrance (mine is an official sample from Barney's in Chicago, just for the record). I get the bitter citrus of Terre d'Hermes atop a horrific fecal/skin/musk accord... no incense, no woods. The only "French lover" here is an unwashed whore in a 19th-century Parisian brothel.

Arpeggiator's avatar
    Arpeggiator
    Germany Germany

Fleur d'Oranger 27 by Le Labo

I only tested it on a paper, but that's enough!

What is this??

There are two elements: One could be a flowery note (light, sweet).
    The other is an undefinable artificial smell, which causes an acute nausea.
    I can hardly detect one of the listed ingredients (no bergamot, no petitgrain,
    no orange blossom, no musk, no grapefruit, no amber, not at all a lemon).
    I dread to think what is behind the other 20 ingredients.
    I had to put the test-paper immediately into the last corners of my wastebin (rating 1/10).

Angeldust's avatar
    Angeldust

Midnight Oud by Juliette Has a Gun

I received a split of this recently, and I'm totally taken with it!

Its not at all dissimilar to Montales (in)famous Black Aoud, in that the Aoud is very prominent, however in this- while certainly being at the forefront of the fragrance, its toned down to a wearable level. So much so, in fact that the other notes begin really to shine.

A top notch fragrance, and one that I look forward to wearing again soon!

Balvon's avatar
    Balvon
    Lithuania Lithuania

Hugo XY by Hugo Boss

As all Hugo Boss perfumes absolutely unoriginal. Just something fresh and in line with modern fresh-woody trends, lasts for maybe 2 hours and that's it.

Bartlebooth's avatar
    Bartlebooth
    Germany Germany

Ô de Lancôme by Lancôme

This is an engaging unisex fragrance that has the principle virtues of being both simple and effective. The opening is a blend of predominantly citric elements, sufficiently restrained to create a bracing beginning. Once this initially astringent tide begins to ebb, the second phase of O de Lancome becomes discernable, and it is much dirtier. Any sweetness that the honeysuckle and jasmine may have offered is overpowered by the earthy triumvirate of rosemary, basil and coriander. There is little subtlety here, but the herbal nature of the middle phase ensures that the fragrance loses none of its momentum. A dry and supportive base, which includes a fine vetiver note, ensures that the whole experience remains stimulating until the very end.

Boster's avatar
    Boster

Méchant Loup by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I really don't want to smell like a pastry, even if the drydown is a bit less sweet. Far from masculine, in my opinion, but I wouldn't want to smell it on a woman either.
    For the record, I like a number of Duchaufour's creations and I appreciate the artistry.

1828 by Histoires de Parfums

1828 opens green and minty, a little astringent even. Lurking behind the eucalyptus and mint are the citrus notes. It's funny how the entire top ensemble produces a ginger-like accord, so why didn't they just use 'ginger'? Perhaps they could but wouldn't, not when this scent draws inspiration from an explorer as renowned as Jules Verne. Fruits, spices, resins, woods, animalics are all represented here in a symbolic nod to the myriad landscapes discovered. As much as I love the vibrantly fresh greenery, I find myself in agreement with odysseusm - the pine and cedar notes are so lacking in weight they leave 1828 looking lean when it could have been fuller bodied. Still it is a classy and unique take on the fresh genre.

1804 by Histoires de Parfums

A ripe juicy pineapple opening? How rare indeed! Smells delicious too. Just when I'm half-expecting this to turn into a tropical-style pina colada, it doesn't, becoming a musky woody floral blend instead. Supposedly inspired by 19th century French romantic novelist Aurore Dupin aka George Sand, 1804 is a gorgeous powdery floral that starts flat-out interesting but loses some of its quirky appeal as it progresses towards drydown. Or am I just missing the pineapple?

(Notes from: Beauty Cafe)
    ******************************
    Top : Tahitian gardenia, Corsican peach, Hawaiian pineapple
    Heart : clove, Indian jasmine, lily of the valley, rose of Morocco
    Base : sandalwood, patchouli, benzoin, vanilla, white musk

Ambre 114 by Histoires de Parfums

At first whiff, I thought I had sampled from the wrong vial and had spritzed on some Imperial Opoponax by mistake. The opening sweetness certainly has a similar vibrancy to the Les Nereides; apparently these two share more than a few base notes. But AMBRE 114 has the greater depth, with swiftly unraveling fine notes of rose and woods wafting in and out of the amber with such subtlety you're likely to miss them. And perhaps that's why earlier references to 'herbal' escape me as I find this to be sweet from top to bottom. A top ranking high quality amber scent in my books.

Musk to Musk by Montale

Unexpectedly light, the musk not even remotely animalic. I have to agree with PigeonMurderer though - you can't possibly miss the aoud in this simple yet sensual blend of nutmeg, woods, grey amber and musk. And despite its rather understated presentation style, MUSK TO MUSK still feels exotic; I would be happy to own a bottle for it is easily wearable. But fans of loud, bombastic aoud scents or animalic musks may have to look elsewhere.

1969 Parfum de Révolte by Histoires de Parfums

Cloves, cardamom, carnation, patchouli, white musk, etc. An army of notes, all up in arms, waving placards, voices raised in unison, demanding attention but drawing admiration. The revolution is under way! And I can't seem to get enough of 1969 PARFUM DE RÉVOLTE. Synthetic? Perhaps a little. Spectacular? Most definitely. I'd better start a fund...for this could well be my top scent from what is turning out to be one of my favorite houses.

Noir Patchouli by Histoires de Parfums

I'll 'fess up - I love the vanillic accord that seems to run through a number of Histoire de Parfums' releases. But I had expected NOIR PATCHOULI to be darker, grittier, sombre. Instead it comes across as a pleasant, lightly musky and dirty rose scent. It plays a little too safe when its name grants it the licence to thrill, to push boundaries to the very edge. And when it finally gets darker in the second hour, it is only by a shade, the patchouli gaining more prominence. Objectively speaking, however, Noir Patchouli actually smells good enough for a thumbs up. Just leave those expectations at the door.

salmon3's avatar
    salmon3
    Wales Wales

Insania by Peter Andre

An exellent fun fragrance, allowing you to show if you are on Team Peter or Team Katie!

28 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 12 November, 2009)

Comme des Garçons Parfum by Comme des Garçons

Blech! Like being mugged and left to suffocate to death in an ayurvedic hospital. I'd call it "unspeakably vile and cloying", but I guess I'm speaking about it...

Burning Leaves by CB I Hate Perfume

foetidus's description of "maple smoked bacon without the bacon" is right on. In a way, it's almost like "burning leaves without the burning," too -- the smoke really isn't the primary note here. It's more the scent of the leaf pile and the rich, decaying autumnal soil, with a neighbor down the street doing the actual burning. The sweet quality of the smoke is more characteristic of a smoked meat than an actual bonfire.

If I didn't know this fragrance was called Burning Leaves, I would have guessed it was called Wound Care. The most powerful note for me is not burning leaves but antibacterial ointment. You can also smell, quite clearly, the plasticky odor of Band-Aids and perhaps just a hint of benzoin to help the bandages adhere to skin.

Although this is a pleasant fragrance, I have a hard time associating it as a scent for a person. It's a bit too sweet for a room spray as well.

Stecca by Hilde Soliani Profumi

I'm surprised this doesn't have any reviews yet, since it seems to have generated some, er, discussion in the forums. Worth checking out. :-)

This fragrance is based on the scent of tomato plants (or more specifically, tomato vines and leaves), and that's pretty much exactly what it delivers. The opening has a bit of crushed grapefruit seed and the tail end smells a bit like a baby's skin, but overall it's quite linear. The scent is quite true to reality and includes the sappy, diffusive "I'm poisonous" overtones, as opposed to CB I Hate Perfume's Memory of Kindness fragrance, which is more of an idealized (though short-lived) tomato leaf. (Tomato leaves are in fact poisonous since they contain solanine; the plant is a member of the nightshade family.)

Although this is a very interesting fragrance to sample, I have to say that I wouldn't wear it again or want to smell like it. But that's consistent with my experience of the smell of actual tomato plants, which I've always found a bit unpleasant. If you love the odor of tomato vine, you'll love this fragrance. Thumbs up for verisimilitude.

Lasts a few hours, not much sillage.

perree's avatar
    perree

Black by Kenneth Cole

i'm not sure what other reviewers are talking about. Mint?? that's only a small note, hardly noticeable. What i care about in a cologne is the drydown and sillage, that's the only thing that last for hours, and that's exactly what others get when sniffing you, roughly 3/4 of the lasting duration when it first hit your skin. Screw the top notes, no one would ever catch that except you yourself.

The base exude a fresh and light musky smell topped with water lily aroma . I have a huge pond of white water lilies and as the new flowers bud in the morning, it smells just like KC black's drydown. It's lovely. in my mind it's in image of a fresh stream with constant flow, 120% water purity. a very greeeen image.

another important point. KC Black is quite synthetic alright, well, only top and mid range. After the first hour, you're good to go.

nishantdavid's avatar
    nishantdavid

cK be by Calvin Klein

A lovely Musk scent. The only thing i catch is the musk and i love it for it. Is a very subtle fresh and lingering kind of frag which smells expensive. The only downside is poor longevity. Dissapears in 2-4 hrs. Requires re application. But till the time it is on you , you enjoy thoroughly.
    Do try this once as u cud get a 200ml bottle for less than 20 USD.

nishantdavid's avatar
    nishantdavid

Cool Water by Davidoff

I find it very very soothing and relaxing. Its definately not a very loud frag but a subtlr sweet lingering floral lavender smell. Its good everyday kind of a frag but def not for special occasions. Longevity is above average at 6-8 hrs.
    Good to have this in your arsenal always..................