Fragrance Reviews from October 2009

nishantdavid's avatar

India India

Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene

with the price tag that it sells this juice is superb. The top is of moist green grass to be precise. It will wake up any soul. within an hour this fresh green smell transforms into sweet pure violet.Its called the smell of Diplomats. Very formal, distinguished and refined.
    A TRUE CLASSIC

28th October, 2009 (Last Edited: 30th January, 2010)

nishantdavid's avatar

India India

Soul by Curve for Men by Liz Claiborne

It is not def a bad scent. It is a very pleasing and soothing frag. The sillage and projection is just average. A good option for some boring casual day when u dont want to waste your better options. Longevity on me is just 3-4 hrs.
    Bought a 100ml bottle just for the low price. wont buy it again.

Tristan's avatar

Allure Homme by Chanel

Chanel Allure Homme. This is on of the best fragrance I have own so far. Sillage is good. In my case longivity last for about 6-8 hours. I only need 3-4 sprays max. to provide me good longivity and sillage.

This is the perfect eau de toilette for work. Not too strong, good longivity and the most important thing : ladies are completly gaga of the smelle of Chanel Allure Homme. I received so many compliments.

It's more a scent for fall-winter spring. During summer, i prefer using Chanel Allure Edition Blanche.

It's a warm scent, round, a bit spicy, a bit of lemon. It reminds me a bit Obsession CK.

gravedigger117's avatar

Armani Mania by Giorgio Armani

My all-time favorite. I love it even though it stays very close to the skin and you would have to bathe in it to radiate it to the all round you. On the other hand, this is its strength. It just is very hard to overuse it. I am usuallly very picky and for the last few years of conscious perfume choosing have found only 2 fragrances very appealing to me and not causing nausea, irritation or vomit reaction wearing them more than an hour. The best of the best has always been Mania, second best Allure Sport but still way worse than Mania.
    Mania attracts women, smells mysterious, masculine and sophisticated in a nonimposing way (especially drydown which I love). The only flaws - sillage and the price (but still twice as cheap as hideously boring, generic, nonevolving and way overpriced Fierce by A&F). In Mania I can detect all the notes of which amber and musk are spectacular. To some people it smells cheap but I can notice its refined high quality ingredients. Very pleasant.

gravedigger117's avatar

Fierce for Men by Abercrombie & Fitch

I'm from Europe and have never come across any Abercrombie & Fitch product, let alone Fierce. To me, if I like a fragrance I don't care whether it's cheap (referring to bothe quality and price) or expensive, nonamesomething or top shelf, for yougner crowd or senior ones so I wasn't biased against A&F. 2 days ago I got Fierce and at the first sniff it was a no no - smelt soapy and cheap as something like Rexona deo spray for 3$. I didn't feel any development on the skin though the longevity was amazingly good - after 8-10 hours I could still detect it on my skin (vaguely but still). 1 spray on clothes remained much longer. Anyway, after having received and tested it I wrote a review giving 2 stars out of 5 and thumbs down criticizing the lack of development, cheap ingredients, overpricing and overblown positive feedback of this generic scent but fortunetely basenotes didn't publish my fierce essay against it;) Today I sprayed it once more and detected something more than soapy smell. I even detect a little bit of faint Egoiste Platinum notes and Boss no.6 (bottled). Who knows what else I will detect tomorrow/ in a week... Strange... For this reason I rechecked my rating to 4 stars and I am giving it thumbs up. I still think that it's definitely not worth the price I have decided to give it a second chance. If it helps understand this review more (I think it does) I'm turning 30 years of age so I'm not definitely the target group of Fierce and my personal favourites are Mania Armani and Chanel Allure Sport. This should help understand my point of view/taste.

28th October, 2009 (Last Edited: 30th October, 2009)

vered's avatar

Timeless by Avon

This reminds me of Shalimar, only lots cheaper- checked the notes in Shalimar and contains the same Bergamot, orris, opopnax and vanilla. Very pretty and very feminine in an old fashioned way and IMO the same drydown as the more expensive stuff.

HandsomeRob's avatar

Ezra Fitch by Abercrombie & Fitch

Exceptional fragrance!

I own about 15 bottles of cologne and this one is easily my favorite. As others have mentioned, girls love it too. I've received more compliments on this cologne than any other one I own, and I've told to keep wearing it.
    I would definitely say that this cologne is meant for cooler weather, I especially like it on a nice winter evening or a snowy day. I've decided to make it my official Christmas eve fragrance. I wouldn't recommend it for teenagers, a little mature for them.
    As far as longevity goes, I must disagree with those who claim this has no lasting power- in my experience, this stuff lasts quite a long time on my dry, white skin.
    All in all, this gets two thumbs up from me and two more from the females.

As far as sillage and longevity go, I must disagree with those who claim that this has no lasting power. It stays around quite nicely on my dry white skin

Voyage by Nautica

Every time I smell this on my body it makes me feel like I'm back at home in Europe. It's just fresh and adventurous.

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

The first sniff and your in love. Automatically you get this burst of a fine tea smell and its stays on you for a while. Later in the dry down you can still smell the tea but with it some light woods. Overall a great fall and spring fragrance.

Versace pour Homme by Versace

Easily a clean and fresh scent that's classy yet fun. Lasts long on my skin and I sure do get a lot of complements. Plus the bottle looks great.

Emporio Armani Diamonds for Men by Giorgio Armani

I would rather go with this than Code. It's modern but elegant. Great for cold days or nights. I always get a hint of strawberries with a light sugary chocolate. Great complements from others also.

mr stromer's avatar

Love and Luck for Men by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

WOW, i tried this at Younkers yesterday and got compliments on it all evening long. There was nothing unfamiliar standing out about this one, but it smelled FRESH, and CLEAN for hours on me very common of the fruity colognes of today, but in a very quality way. I will definitly buy the full set of this.

mr stromer's avatar

Zegna Colonia by Ermenegildo Zegna

It appears I am the first to be here. I am very new at this, but I am learning from you all. I get a very "smokie" hit off this right away, followed immediatly by the smell of armani "code". In fact, and hour later, and it mellows down exactly to code. I can't get my wife to comment on it cuz I'm 3 weeks into my new cologne hobbie, and she hates it already. Smell this honey, what do you think of that one, honey, get a wiff of this. I will have to wear it to work tomorrow, the girls there love my new scent craze. Anyway, it smells like church to me, like from years back. Some one please give a rundown on the top, middle, and basenotes. Thank you

renperd's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Habanita by Molinard

The EDT is very hard-core. Rock-hard. Unrefined. I can't believe people call it soft and smooth. I get the vanilla, which is sweet enough. But then there's the nasty bite of the vetiver. I don't really smell the tobacco mentioned by others. This perfume, IMO, is only wearable when sprayed no higher than one's stomach. And then only just. Good stuff nevertheless, if you want to push the limits, and don't mind the feverish, systemic irritation that even one spray can cause.

28th October, 2009 (Last Edited: 08th August, 2012)

jujy54's avatar

Queen by Queen Latifah

Having recently tested Amouage Epic Woman, I was struck by its similarity, at considerably more shekels, to Queen. Both have a vanilla/cinnamon/latte with some brandy vibe, and it is really up to the sniffer to decide if Amouage's caraway and oud notes are worth it. Overall, neither is my type, which may explain why the distinctions are lost on me. [Note this portion of the review was from summer 2012—see below for a revisit]

Update, 12 oct 2012. I tried Mauboussin de Mauboussin recently, and the overlap with Queen is about 80% I'm feeling a bit more favorable toward Queen again, possibly because of the cool weather. I had downgraded her to neutral over the summer when I was comparing to Amouage Epic Woman. In the cool weather, the warmth and sweet booziness of Queen works for me as it does not in the summer.

28th October, 2009 (Last Edited: 30th July, 2014)

skinboy8's avatar

Number 3 / Le 3me Homme / The Third Man by Caron

All I can smell is those sticks of pink, musk-flavored candy. It's what I get straight out of the bottle, and it's all I can smell hours later. To me, Le 3me Homme is a totally linear fragrance with none of the citrus/lavender top-notes or the woody dry-down I was hoping for. I've tried and tried, but it just doesn't work on me.

A neutral rating, because I don't hate it, I just don't get it.

odysseusm's avatar

Town & Country by Crown Perfumery

Hard to find since it has been discontinued, yet it holds a certain appeal. Crown had a knack to taking the essence of a scent and reproducing it at a lower cost and with greater power and tenacity. That is true here, as it recalls somewhat Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet. This is a big, full-bodied scent. The opening emphasizes herbal lavender and other herbal notes such as clary sage rather than the lemon which is so notable in BB. The scent is more aromatic than previous two; and in fact is a bit acidic/sour. Surprisingly, the lemon note develops later. T&C is not as complex and refined as BB, in fact it is a bit rougher and greener. It still is a worthy scent.

Innocent by Thierry Mugler

That fruity near to skin face makes it most wearble or common sense beautifull of the all angels.No weird extraordinary spikes; just smooth and welldone. Really great for the ones that should wear an angel but cannot bear it.

Dream Angels Heavenly by Victoria's Secret

It is hard for me to understand why it is so appealing for many people. I had a mini bottle with an purchase from store once and wore it twice maybe. Eachtime especially male coworkers took notice of it widely and complimented on it. Really cannot explain why but may be we should think about a symphony and a folks melody you can whistle easily. Second one is always more popular and the reason is that you like whistling it maybe. Dream Angels Heavenly is a succesful fragrance which appealed the crowd by its simple tune. We live in an age that success is weighted with the popularity so I have to give tumbs up though it means nothing to me.

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Everybody loves Kouros. It is easy to understand why as kouros is plain strong and manly. I feel lucky that i live somewhere it never got popular to much to to ger worn out for me.

Narciso Rodriguez for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

I liked it. It is a well blended creamy musky and close to skin scent but is not weak or transparent. None of the notes hits your nose or comes front, has a nice harmony ;just a good choir would have. This harmony reminds me of the very first scent i had in high school; Babe was also so well blended that a friend of mine was suprised to see it is a perfume. It smelled a lot like skin and less like any common note. Whitemusk when balanced with fruits can do the magic. but do not take it easy as it has been tried thousands of times before and very rare of them got the justifiable repute of Narciso Rodriguez for Her.

White / Noel Blanc by Ava Luxe

Well i had hopes for that. Aquatic always sounds appealing to me. But here i can get no aqua no orieantals. Just cacao essential oil of the low quality and vanilla and nuts all end up smelling like a wafer box left at the high shelf for months and months. Nothing nice about it.

Love Spell by Victoria's Secret

This is realy joyfull. That muguets apples and peach when together makes the magic trick, all notes fuse into a new one of sweet coke and champagne erasers and clean floral. So girly and cheery. It lacks longelivitiy and silage to use as a scent but i enjoy using its lotion and at gym all girls find the way to me in the showers to ask what it is. It reminds me of Caron's Royal Bain de Champagne in some face. but moce more shiny and girly as Barbie pink.

Wild Honeysuckle by Bath and Body Works

Then you read the name you expect it to be a soloflower but looking at the notes there is a carnival there... Well it is a carnival of note names; the scent itself does not show the richness offered by these notes. It is honeysucleish bitterscent without any joy in it. Offering honeysuckle note would pull me anywhere and can be delighted easiliy with it but this is not it.

Rouge Intense by Mandarina Duck

Pepper and nothing else. You dont have to pay for this. Eat a lot of pepper and your sweat may smell like this. This is a common natural note in middleeast. Eyks... o.k if i have to have some mercy this is a drier and woodsy pepper than you can produce by eating much and running into the saloon. But no way for me to like it.

Elle by Yves Saint Laurent

I have retried it lastweek while trying Parisienne. Well may be i am on the wrong side as this special scent is unique with its base or the beautiful integration of the florals with woods but i am fascinated with the sambac and peony of the first hours. Anyway Elle is a succesfull fragrance that outshines with the bold and sophisticated composition. It has much character which is more obvious when compared to defaced Parisienne.

Parfums Intimes: Lace by Victoria's Secret

The offical site describes it as "A delicate veil of lace dresses skin in femininity. Exquisite, glowing orange flower absolute, harvested then handpicked in Nabeul, Tunisia. Distinctively rich Chinese osmanthus. Ethereal flashes of pink grapefruit and watery dewdrops." Opens very alcholic which is a con for me. In ten minutes you can get a natural orange flower note. though faint orange flower lovers may enjoy the rare natural way of it. my nose looses its way after that and cannot get any osmanthus or grapefruit.
    By the way i would not give the name lace to it. Lace caries more of a Victorian aura and would be better represented with roses. So satin would take the orange flowers of mediteranian.

Parfums Intimes: Satin by Victoria's Secret

A ripple of satin over bare skin. Rose de mai, a delicate pink rose cultivated in the fields of Grasse, France, home to the modern art of perfumery. Asian living" honeysuckle procured via "Living Technology," an innovation that captures the essence of the flower, untouched in its natural environment. A luminous backdrop of pink grapefruit and mandarin flower" says the advertisement of it.
    what say is "Bare rose. Weak and transparent. Just for rose lovers."

Parfums Intimes: Cashmere by Victoria's Secret

Best of the Parfums Intimes series. It is mainly vanilla and jasmine and this duo suits the name Cashmere so well. Whole serie is weak and simple. may be for it aims the closer times that you would not like a strong sillage. anywaytumb is up in the sake of the nice jasmin.

Parfums Intimes: Silk by Victoria's Secret

The exotic freshness and lush sparkle of Chinese mandarin. Rare sandalwood from India. Elusive moments of mimosa, honeyed musk and white woods. tells the explanation. It has a nice and clear mandarine over mimosa and santal. All notes are very natural. As with the others this is also weak and transparent as they are planned to be drawer scents or mists. however silk and cashmere have more natural beauty in.