Fragrance Reviews from October 2009

parfums*PARFUMS Series 1 Leaves: Tea by Comme des Garçons

Well, I get the tea part but everything else is kinda... bad? It's very plasticky, like the smell of Saran wrap being stretched right out of the box. But man that tea note is nice. I just cannot get over the true synteticness and sterile facade of the whole thing.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 5 Sherbet: Rhubarb by Comme des Garçons

I like the smell of rhubarb. When I see it in the grocer I would pick some up to smell. CdG's Rhubarb opens with it but turns into a woodsy vanilla and leafy version of it later on. I like the drydown but being called "rhubarb" is deceiving. Too bad it's fleeting. BUT the drydown is good and typical for CdG. It's kinda neat to that CdG decided to put this in the sherbert series.

If you like rhubarb, check out Ciel Mon Jardin by Le Prince Jardinier. That's a darn good garden variety rhubarb.

Un Parfum des Sens et Bois by Different Company

Fresh, sophisticated, cedarwoods that subtle and not too intrusive. Stays close to the skin but sticks around for a while. Very nice and good for the office.

cK one Summer 2007 by Calvin Klein

ck One Summer 2006 was good. Then 2007 came out and was awesome. Citrusy florals and so refreshing. Then 2008 came out (melon a hoy)... and 2009... they are ALL quite similar and are pretty much a marketing gimmick to get your money... but they are excellent refreshing fragrances for the summer.

Take the sprayer off these and splash yourself with any of the ck One Summers. It won't be too strong I promise. I cannot see this fragrance being used other than in hot weather.

Fragranza's avatar

Germany Germany

Honeysuckle by Yardley

When it comes to honeysuckle fragrances, my heart will always belong to Annick Goutal's, which is absolutely stunning in my opinion.
    Yardley's is a pleasent, soapy honeysuckle, not spectacular at all, but nice enough. Unfortunately it's rather fleeting, too. It lasts better on textiles than on skin; therefore I use it more often as a wardrobe spray than as an Eau de Toilette. When I decide to wear it, though, I'm always pleased by the hint of a soft musky drydown this scent develops.

peevish_yolk's avatar

Serbia Serbia

Rien by Etat Libre d'Orange

As you already know, rien means nothing.
    One sunny day a mother took her soon to the ZOO. When they were in front of the area with the elephants in it, he asked her:” Mammy, mammy, what’s that between the elephant’s back legs?” She was a bit embarrassed:” Well, I mean… ummmm… that’s nothing.” An old man, who stood beside them, overheard that and then said to her: “Sorry, madam, but if THAT is nothing to you then you are pretty pampered”.
    I haven’t found it in any dictionary, so this is just an unofficial allegation and please accept it with the huge dose of suspicion: there are two kinds of nothing - “meh” kind of nothing and, on the other side, “nothing” which doesn’t ask are you ready or not, before delivers to you a lot of aldehydes, “nothing” that hits you straight to the head with the strong leather note, “nothing” that brings you the pleasant breath of the past, “nothing” that I proudly wear and I truly love.

funhuntr's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Heliotrope by Etro

Unfortunately doesn't make it on my active rotation list, even if I own a full bottle...made a mistake of testing only once and taking advantage of a small discount for Etro items at the high-end dept store here (I passed on the Messe de Minuit and New Tradition). Untrained nose I am, but can pick out the almonds, vanilla, white musk...To me somewhat syrupy and thick at the start...not appropriate for most days here in Manila (humid most of the time...think sticky white icing on skin in the heat? Not good)...Hope my mind changes bout it by Christmas time, when the weather is cooler, this seems more appropriate by then. Good fall fragrance (for those with 4 seasons)...Good move up for those stuck on generic vanilla brands (aka VS and Bath&Body, which are crazy popular here). Still kinda glad I have it though, as nothing in my current 'drobe is similar to this.

funhuntr's avatar

Philippine Philippine

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

Very distinct aquatic scent. For me can easily distinguish it from other aquatic offerings, I don't think it's generic at all. Great quality frag. Longevity on me is very good (3 sprays in the morning, I can still smell it around 2PM -- this is already very good for me, since I'm a smoker and my skin absorbs scents like hell). In the Philippines where aquatic is king (because of the freakin' hot and humid weather), this is one of my staples and go-to frags.

Funny, someone passed by me on the Metro train and got a whiff of his scent. Ended up following him for a bit because I was trying to make out he was wearing, coz it smelled so familiar. I quit after a minute, it's so familiar 'coz its Bulgari Aqua.

Balvon's avatar

Lithuania Lithuania

Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons

The scent is very powerful at first, then it flows into a nice drydown which stays close to the skin for hours. Nice

29 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 07 September, 2010)

Bartlebooth's avatar

Palio by Lorenzo Siena

The opening is quite potent, with a dominant benzoic ivy accord .A very subtle pineapple note sweetens matters, and it probably needs this assistance to avoid the top notes being excessively harsh. In fairness, this slightly synthetic opening is brief, and within a few minutes the fragrance begins to sweeten in a more natural way.

Star jasmine and muguet create an aromatic almond accord not unlike tuberose, and the additional heart notes of iced lavender and rose, merely support and never intrude. This middle phase lasts a couple of hours, and it is during this time that one can regard Palio as being in full bloom. One senses that any sweetness has been achieved through more natural means, and it is this phase that pleased me the most. The dry down remains nectarous, but the almond accord has receded considerably.

A warm and fairly subtle base, allows the last vestiges of the heart notes to dissipate slowly, and extends the life of the fragrance. It may have limited use in my wardrobe, but for a casual evening out, this may be one to consider.

Elzéard's avatar

Euphoria by Calvin Klein

Sweet, slightly cloying, slightly synthetic, but stays on the good side of tolerable. It dries down to something similar to a mildly spiced-strawberry yougurt, with something creamy and buttery, and burned sugar. It's smooth, and quite tasty. It reminds me a bit of Armani Diamonds EDP for some reason. It's worth trying, but definitely not bottle worthy (for me anyway). Would do as a gift for a friend... however not for your best friend, hehe.

Elzéard's avatar

Marc Jacobs Splash Gardenia by Marc Jacobs

It starts quite floral and a little bit fruity, and is sweet and fresh at the same time. Wonderful top notes in the initial blast... but then it smells very average. For example, if someone were to choose one fragrance that embodied the word "perfume" to most peoples' perspective, then this could quite possibly be it. On me it dried down to something very soapy (thankfully, not overly harsh), and quite clean. It's nothing extraordinary, it's just nice. Good longevity and sillage however.

When thinking about a fragrance which might be similar to this, Chanel No.5 Eau Premiere came to mind. They aren't identical by any means, Eau Premiere is sweeter and more tangy for a start, and a better scent overall. But I would imagine that on a day where I would feel like wearing gardenia, Eau Premiere would satisfy my craving for "whatever it is that gardenia offers" just that little bit better.

Bo Darville's avatar

Tobacco Mucho by Stéphanie de Saint-Aignan

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

I was very much looking forward to experiencing Stéphanie de Saint-Aignan's take on tobacco after having been so impressed with her Embruns d'Ambre. Like the latter, Tobacco Mucho 1) is a light and linear affair and 2) apparently contains no tobacco.

Honestly, this fragrance irritated me not because it is poorly made (it isn't, I suppose, but what do I know?) or because it stinks (it certainly doesn't) or because it's overpriced (though it is), but instead because it's at best uninspired and at worst dishonest. Doesn't the name imply that there's "a lot" of tobacco in this? I mean, it's named "Tobacco Mucho," not "Tobacco Poco" or "Tobacco Nada."

Did I mention that I cannot detect any tobacco in this?

Anyway, as I allowed the fragrance to process on my skin, I realized that I had experienced a very similar accord in another much more hyped fragrance: Escentric 01. Seriously, replace the lime note in Escentric 01 with lemon and voilà, you have Tobacco Mucho. This should be renamed Limón y Cedro Mucho or, better yet, simply Limón y Cedro, because there's not a lot of anything in this.

EDIT:

Well, I must not have been paying close enough attention the first time I wore this. There is tobacco in this...it's just the kind of tobacco note I'm not used to: a very clean and light American Spirit in a pouch kind of tobacco (almost tea-like). The tobacco still doesn't last beyond thirty minutes, though, and what you're left with are wood notes with lemon. Even though I regret originally being so bullheadedly dismissive, I don't really care for this. Tobacco Poco, it is.

29 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 31st October, 2009)

Bo Darville's avatar

Escentric 02 by Escentric Molecules

This fragrance is so prosaic and soulless that I am not moved to conjure the necessary exposition to describe it. It's only apparent functions are to showcase the use of ambroxan as an ambergris substitute and, by doing so, to extend an olive branch to the eco-terrorists at Greenpeace by symbolically atoning for all the "harm" done to whales by harvesting their precious, naturally expelled, sun-and-sea-seasoned vomit. (inhales)

Minimal sillage. Minimal longevity. Minimal impact.

AnnArborBodhi's avatar

Gramercy Park by Bond No. 9

Delicious green top notes. Almost candy-like but still very natural. I knew this was going to be a five-star fragrance as soon as I smelled the top notes.

Mid is a cooler, slightly aquatic scent, with a twist. Reminds me of a slighter green version of the top notes of polo black.

Has a sweet, morning dew-like base. With a tiny bit of spice.

AnnArborBodhi's avatar

Silver Bond / Andy Warhol Silver Factory by Bond No. 9

top notes: metalic, menthol, medicinal, cinnamon?
    mid: incense
    base: amber, incense

I was very impressed with this fragrance. It is truly a work of art. It is metallic, yet has a warm depth to it. Would be a great late fall and winter fragrance. If I wasn't a student (and therefore had money), I would probably buy a bottle of this.

chamelion's avatar

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

masterpiece with lots of exotic spices, olive wood and papyrus and myrrh totally hip scent and women absolutely LOVE it ask anyone at the scent counter and they will practically go crazy over this

its a date scent because its very subtle so u will have to give a few spirts to get some sillage but a great scent to wear i strongly reccomend this stuff it will turn heads

29 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th December, 2009)

Foggy's avatar

Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

Hate to say this but this smells exactly like MISS DIOR CHERIE.

latelittlesleeper's avatar

Marc Jacobs for Men by Marc Jacobs

Ohhh, I forgot the coconut in this when I purchased it. Whoops.

It's not too outlandishly coconut cream on my skin, and the fig is pleasantly new and sweet without being sharply green or saccharine. It's also not one of those men's scents that screams "I AM MAN, ALL SPORT AND/OR BARBER SHOP!" so it's very wearable for a lady.

Actually, I prefer this over Lola, Daisy and any MJ scent for women I've smelled yet.

Hugh Parsons (Blue) by Hugh Parsons

I have to agree with SirSlarty on this one. It's very fresh with a sweet fruit tone and just a hint of spice and herbal background. Very understated and classy! I love it! It's great for the office since it's inoffensive and I often wear it for job interviews just because of that. I'd say the age range has no limit except for maturity in the individual so I'll say 18+.

Just Me for Men by Paris Hilton

Just Me actually really surprised me. No, it's nothing new at all, and yes it's a copy cat/morph but for the price you can't beat it! Very similar to Aqua di Gio as others have suggested as well as Burberry Summer(AdG copy with pepper). Top notes scream citrus-lemon(almost like pledge or citronella but not in a negative way) but it mellows out fairly well and the sweetness balances it out in the dry down. Did I mention it's cheap yet? For being reasonably priced, it doesn't have a detracting synthetic smell like most cheap fragrances. Great for everyday wear or whenever you don't want to waste your more expensive stuff. I would say this isn't for anyone above the age of 30, but it is appropriate for teens-mid twenties.

Heiress by Paris Hilton

Got this as a sample on a past online order( I don't know why they continue to send me female perfume samples when all I buy is Men's cologne) but anyways, I don't see how people say this smells like bubble gum. I don't know which bubble gum you're chewing, but this smells nothing like orignal bubble gum flavor. However, it does smell like a particular flavor of gum(not original bubble mind you). It's most definitely the artificial smell from strawberry or some kind of berry Trident gum my mother always used to chew in the 90's. Way too synthetic for me to ever find favorable worn on a woman. Like others have said I could only see very young girls using this like 12-16 years old. After that they should be looking elsewhere.

Nautica Oceans by Nautica

Nice clean smell, but nothing new or original. This scent doesn't last for crap on my skin...maybe 3-4 hours if I'm lucky. It wore pretty close to the skin as well since it's such a neutral smell. Might work for some who prefer light fragrances or dislike most fragrances.

Desire for a Woman by Dunhill

One of my summer favorites! This scent is lush, sexy and powdery! Wear it along with the lotion for a even longer lasting scent.

Chloé Narcisse by Chloé

OMG! This fragrance is beyond speechless! This is a signature scent of mine that I have gotten endless compliments on. I love love this sweet and innocent scent that last all day long and lingers on your clothes like dryer sheets.

J'Adore by Christian Dior

This sweet and pleasant scent is so unforgettable!! I just love how it lingers and stays on all day long.

White Linen by Estée Lauder

This fragrance stinks! There is nothing nice about this scent! Smells like floral pee!

Spellbound by Estée Lauder

OMG! This is a classical scent! A sophisticated scent for the mature woman in mind.

Touch by Fred Hayman

I have loved this fragrance since I first smelled it in a Dillard's dept. store. The scent it so unforgettable and long lasting. Smells like a classy, sophisticated woman who is decked in a million bucks.It has a mild lingering scent that is sure to get you tons of compliments.

Amarige by Givenchy

This is a grown woman, sexy, sophisticated and classy type scent LOL! I adore this scent! This is a scent you would wear on special occasions or out shopping looking fly from head to toe! This scent will get you noticed even more.