Fragrance Reviews from October 2009

BCBGIRLS Metro by Max Azria

OMG! I love this summer scent! Smells chic, flirty and soft! Out of four scents, this is by far the best scent.

Charlie White by Revlon

This scent is so orginal and classic! To this day I still wear it and get compliments.

Fire & Ice by Revlon

This scent is still the bomb after all these years! I wore it to work one day and a guy asked me what it was so he could get his wife some! It is very unique sweet, sexy and seductive scent. I purchased it dirt cheap at J&R.

Tocade by Rochas

This scent reminds me of the twin to Chloe Narcisse but with it's own kick! Very sweet. Lingers all day.

Oxygène Homme by Lanvin

Smells like hot pepper! I wasn't really happy with this scent. Smelled good on the sample but once it works with the body chemistry it smells really strong.

Begin by Niki Taylor

I was very surprised when I smelled this scent by model Niki Taylor. I actually love the citrus and sweet smell. This is a summer scent.

Guess Gold by Guess

Smells like Halston "Unbound" IMO.

Pan Ame by Jean Patou

Love this sweet,soft, powdery, fluffy and light scent!

Covet Sarah Jessica Parker by Sarah Jessica Parker

A distinctive scent that is sultry and deep. I love the body lotion which is so soft and creamy with it.

Daisy by Marc Jacobs

I love the bottle design so girlie and cute! This is a nice lavish sweet scent.

mustangdude's avatar

Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron

It is so disgusting ! I've the eau de parfum and all I can say is : avoid this if you don't wanna smell like an old women. Just one spray one time and it will last on your clothes for 2-3days. i think it is very unisex.

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

Axe Marine / Lynx Marine by Axe / Lynx

A marine scent in the cheapo category, which actually smells tolerable. I have pleasant memories with this one. In fact, quite suitable for everyday wear.

skiwitch's avatar

L - L.A.M.B by Gwen Stefani

This scent is wonderful. It lasts me throughout the day, in it's various stages. I love how this can be applied in several places, yet it is not overwhelming or overpowering.

evinick's avatar

Greece Greece

Heliotrope by Etro

No wonder that the majority of the reviewers associate Heliotrope with sweets, creams, frosted cakes, marzipans etc. Absolutely gourmand as Foetidus already said, manages to incorporate notes of edible components without being tedious. I find it cheerful, luminous and live, with a bittersweet but not dark character that works great both on males and females. Once you come across the admittedly sharp opening, you will be rewarded with a delicious creamy vanilla and bitter almond heart (light florals are almost unnoticed) and a soft vanilla and musk base. Bellissimo! Notes from Etro : Top notes : Petit Grain, Amande, Middle notes : Ylang Ylang, Rose, Jasmin, Iris Basenotes : Héliotrope, Vanille, Baumes, Musc

evinick's avatar

Greece Greece

Musk by Etro

So shy, it comes almost fainted from the bottle. Nothing special, just a simple, almost linear white musk scent. Longevity is tragic. Unworthy of the Etro logo.
    Νotes from Etro : Top Notes :Bergamote, Pamplemousse, Verveine, Middle notes :Bois de Gaïac, Cèdre, Notes Florales, Basenotes : Muscs Blancs, Santal Inde

TRounder's avatar

Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

This has become my favorite Hermes fragrance. It's light, bright and sexy without being over powering. It has the same secret return as Eau Savage. After a long day and a late night, a little body heat and friction and it revives anew - you smell like you just stepped out of the shower. it is one of those fragrances that gets the best complement of all, "I love the way my sheets smell after you have been in them." Works for me.

TRounder's avatar

Abu Dhabi Abu Dhabi

Eau de Gentiane Blanche by Hermès

D.H. Lawrence once wrote: "Not every man has gentians in his house in soft September, at slow, sad Michaelmass." The fragrance is as haunting as the poem. I read all the notes but I only sense two. This is not a scent for everyone. It seems get stronger as the day goes on and leaves it's memory on your clothes not your skin - (at least not my skin), There is also a strange darkness about it that is very hard to put my finger on. I like it, but only on dark rainy days and I would never ware it to bed. Lawrence wrote: "pierced with the passion of dense gloom" and that seems to fit.

Oaksbluff's avatar

Coney Island by Bond No. 9

A ghastly combination of cheap lemon bound to megawattage calone with an interminable half-life, underpinned by a saccharine sweetness. My personal definition of hell would reek of this.

Cinnamon? Chocolate? Only in the perfumer's prospectus.

Fortunately, I have seldom encountered a scent as hateful as this.

Dimitrios's avatar

Pour Un Homme by Caron

A winner , this composition is the blending of the two key notes vanilla & lavender , supported , rounded , softened & enveloped by the other notes that play their part in brewing up this vintage gem , agreed it can be somewhat harsh in the opening but it smooths out fairly quickly & only gets better , a stayer with great sillage .

Scent by Costume National

This scent must be changin greatly on skin as i had no jasmine at all. hibiscus makes a spicy accent which reminds me of curry. I just smell spice over amber and it is definetly masculine. No brightness no shine, introvert and boring....

D&G Le Bateleur 1 by Dolce & Gabbana

It has a bold masculine spicy openning but best part comes after the first hour. Sweet and kind hearted vetiver cedar. reminds me of cedar of loccitane and dior home which my husband admires both. this is luck of the day and a new find for him.

D&G L'Imperatrice 3 by Dolce & Gabbana

peaches and peaches and peaches then melon and some more melon. Too fruity and simple.

distortech's avatar

Essence of United Colors of Benetton Man by Benetton

I'll have to add my vote for a CK One clone. However, the drydown is darker and much more masculine. I like that it utilizes an awesome dirty red geranium like note towards the middle and end. That note alone adds an interesting twist to formula which I enjoy alot.

All in all, this isn't my favourite from Benetton for sure, but I love the bottle and still adore this house immensely.

lilkcceleb's avatar

Givenchy Play by Givenchy

Does Anyone Else Smell CURVE When Smelling This???

30th October, 2009 (Last Edited: 01st November, 2009)

lilkcceleb's avatar

Power by 50 Cent

I Really Have No Words For This!!! I Was Expecting A Warm, Woodsy, Strong Fragrance And Boy - - What A Surprise!!! This Really Is A Love It Or Hate It Fragrance, And I Hate It!!! I Smelled No Hint Of Nutmeg WhatSoEver! Not Trying To Be Funny But I Believe That Smelling This & Play by Givenchy Made Me Sick Today. (I Guess My Nose Is My Best Sense Of The 5)!!! To Whoever Purchases This, Don't Put On A Lot Of It!!!

Sun-and-water's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Rose des 4 Reines by L'Occitane

A real truly rose scent. I love it and wear it almost every day. It is light and smells fresh and yet it is rosey rosey rosey, the way I like them. It has a fairly good staying power, despite being very light. I feel that just-out-of-the-shower sensation for hours. Also, it does not annoy even the perfume-enemies (and they DO exist, poor ones!). Now and then somebody asks me what is it that I am wearing that smells so fabulous. It is a pity it is so expensive at L'Occitane shops in my city (circa 130 U.S. dollars a bottle). But I pay it gladly because it is so pleasant. Hoe may thumbs up dp I need?

SirSlarty's avatar

Jean Marie Farina by Roger & Gallet

Lovely cologne. Burst of bergamot, and a drydown of florals and a light woodsy accord. Nothing special but smells pretty good!

SirSlarty's avatar

Hot Leather by Mark Buxton

John Varvatos minus actual leather plus some florals. I'd say this is a floriental and much like Buxton's other creation for Karl Lagerfeld, Kapsule Light. Very creamy and I was apprehensive trying this because me and leather don't get along. I love the cedarwood drydown with a touch or orris. Good stuff!

Asha's avatar

Envy by Gucci

Gucci Envy

Notes: Hyacinth, Magnolia, Lily of the Valley, Jasmine, Violet, Iris (from sephora.com)

I have to be very honest. I do not smell anything like what is listed in the notes for Gucci Envy. When I first spray it, I smell something like waxed Granny Smith apples and plastic screechy florals. In the drydown I smell vestiges of the plastic top notes along with an extremely "perfumey" synthetic powder note and nondescript sweet musk. I can't say it is completely unpleasant, but here's what's really interesting about Envy...Envy smells like the fragrance counter at Macy's. In other words, it smells like a cloud of fragrance which is composed of countless spray-testing all the more recent fragrances available at a mid-level department store. This is the PURE ESSENCE OF MALL smell. I have to give some kudos for being able to bottle such a nebulous thing. It's definitely not for me, but I can understand the appeal.

Asha's avatar

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

Lolita Lempicka

Notes: Ivy Leaves, Aniseed, Amarena Heart, Violets, Iris Roots, Vetiver, Tonka Bean, Vanilla, Musk (from sephora.com)

Lolita Lempicka is absolutely delicious upon first application--it is difficult to resist an accord of chocolate, caramelized sugar and licorice which is actually dry and a bit crisp, miles away from the typical heavy, sweet and edible vanilla gourmand. The foody notes are supported by green fruit and herbal notes which amazingly seem to evoke the sense of garden freshness and bitter roots with what are obviously synthetic ingredients. The base buzzes along on a big cloud of Iso E Super, but this is one composition where the Iso E works as a team member rather than a cheap one-dimensional filler. In the drydown, LL bears some similarities to Bulgari Black...makes sense given LL is composed by the same perfumer. LL has the same edgy vanilla-musk accord which makes BB stand out from the vanilla oriental crowd. Despite being marketed to women, I find Lolita Lempicka to be solidly unisex. LL is one of those stand-out fragrances that everybody should experience, even if you never consider adding it to your wardrobe.