Fragrance Reviews from October 2009

peevish_yolk's avatar
    peevish_yolk
    Serbia Serbia

Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange

The statement “this is awful” is not far from the truth, but it is much closer to the lie.

A reliable source told me, strictly confidential, that this is the devil’s signature scent. That realization really frightened me. Namely, it means that devil’s taste corresponds with mine. Then I realized that I could live with it as long as I am capable to make the difference between the devil and his taste. Should I hate Marlene Dietrich because Nazis loved her songs? So, I have no intention to be the devil’s attorney but I would like to be the devil's signature scent’s attorney.

Do you know what demands the most courage? To be different. And yes, Sécrétions Magnifiques is different. Should we burn it because of that? What do you think, the lovers of Middle Century? Should we do it? Come on, it’s easy: let Sécrétions Magnifiques pay the price! It is different, for God’s sake. How dare it? Shell we tolerate that? Oh, wait a minute; it could also pay the price of our own frustrations! Now, that’s a brilliant thought.

You are the judge in this trail, my friend; so be a fair judge, not an inquisitor. Everyone deserves the fair trail, even Sécrétions Magnifiques. When you go to the court do not take your prejudices with you. Do not condemn Sécrétions Magnifiques just because you heard some bad things about it.

Longevity, sillage, notes… Sorry, but that’s irrelevant in this case.

Bigsly's avatar
    Bigsly

Eau d'Iparie by L'Occitane

The notes supposedly are: "Red pepper, Rose, Patchouli, Ciste Labdanum, Myrrh, Incense, Vanilla, Moss." I get mostly a fruity/ambery incense, perhaps due to a combination of certain notes coming across as "fruity." I don't like it all that much at first because it's a bit too strong and has a "synthetic/metallic" quality too, but once it dries down it's quite good, if this is what you're looking for. The ambery quality is dry (and perhaps some would say "resinous"), which makes it different from the other amber-dominant fragrances I have. Don't expect to smell strong rose, pepper, or vanilla. The moss and patchouli, along with the other basenotes, are nicely blended so that there is no predominant one. Also, this is not "squat" or heavy, once you get to the drydown. I'd certainly call this "unisex," and I have a feeling that skin chemistry may play a big role with this fragrance, so I definitely suggest sampling first. Still, it's not very expensive and I could certainly understand this being called "niche-like." Longevity and sillage are at least good. I much prefer this to fragrances like Balmain's Ambre Gris, for example, probably because this isn't very sweet and is nicely balanced. Those who like fragrances such as A*Men, Rochas Man, Terre d'Hermes, or Kouros might find this too sedate or "boring" in the drydown.

merenguehips's avatar
    merenguehips

Osmanthus by Ormonde Jayne

Sprayed some on, walked outside and compared it with my little osmanthus in the back, and while not exactly alike, they're very similar, and I'll gladly wear the OJ when the blossoms aren't readily available. LIke the other OJs, great drydown and base...couldn't stop sniffing my arm.

merenguehips's avatar
    merenguehips

Tolu by Ormonde Jayne

On first try this was absolutely sickening and necessitated immediate scrubbing. I believe the temperature that day was also in the 90s(F) and extremely high humidity. Now that we're experiencing a rather cool day (under 65), Tolu is perfect. Not the least overpowering now, it's warmth, richness and even powdery-ness is appropriate, welcomed and absolutely lovely. Just remember...not a good choice for warm days, definitely a fall/winter fragrance.

bbBD's avatar
    bbBD

Malmaison by Floris

It's very rare that I experience a fragrance drastically differently from the great reviewer foetidus, but that's what I'm experiencing with Malmaison. There's definitely a heavy dose of clove, but not nearly as overwhelming as something like Ava Luxe Kretek or even other carnation scents like CdG Carnation. The clove is prominent, but lurking not far underneath is a sweet, almost angelica-like green floral/carnation note and a touch of black tea. The fragrance is fairly linear, but I find it very enjoyable and thus don't really mind. As far as carnation scents go, Malmaison is one of my favorite. Sadly bottles seem to be hard to come by these days....

Trufflehunter's avatar
    Trufflehunter

Eau des 4 Voleurs by L'Occitane

A great warm weather pick-me-up/comfort scent; lively, fresh and classy!

Every time I visit the local L'Occitane store I always have a spritz of this. Deceptively simple with impressive sillage and longevity built around the classic 'chypre' accord of bergamot, oak moss and amber. Odysseusm described it perfectly and I agree with his appraisal of the lavender, but let's not forget the oregano! Lavender can be problematic with me, but L'Occitane nailed it with L'Eau des Quatre Voleurs and the oregano lends a warm, herbal note to the woody heart. It never embarrases; you know the feeling... is it too loud/too sweet/too girlie/too old-fashioned/too...whatever. No, this one is always 'just right'!

I find similarities to Dunhill Edition but I actually prefer this one.

So much so, I finally bought a bottle today.

azhdar's avatar
    azhdar

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

I just can't understand why some guys hate soapy fragrances.this is a fresh,clean and extremely wearable smell,which i can wear it anytime,even morning,without getting headache.it lasts very long
    which is weird with this kind of perfume.

Elzéard's avatar
    Elzéard

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Disgracefully Good... If I know that I am going to be up all night, and that in the morning I am going to be lying there; exhausted, sweaty, filthy, and with pillows and clothes thrown all over the room, then this is the fragrance I wear because it compliments that situation perfectly, and also because it will last until the next morning too, hehe. Divine.

30th October, 2009 (Last Edited: 28 January, 2010)

Bo Darville's avatar
    Bo Darville

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Unfortunately, I have yet to find anything by Gucci that I can truly love. Nobile is as close as I've come, but I think my feelings for that fragrance are more akin to fond yet clinically detached respect rather than actual emotional engagement.

In the case of Gucci PH, while I can appreciate the "idea" behind the fragrance (traditional powerhouse masculinity), I can't really appreciate the execution. Upon application, I am greeted with a fat cumin-like note that really doesn't compute when considering the listed notes. I have to admit this opening was completely surprising and certainly very Declaration-esque, although Declaration's cumin note is dirtier and perhaps by consequence more interesting, edgy, and enjoyable.

After thirty minutes or so, the "cumin" has completely exhausted, leaving behind a fairly unassuming accord dominated by cedar (of the pencil shavings variety) but also containing a trace of incense. Longevity is above average, but I find sillage to be quite discrete. ("Your mileage may vary.")

All told, Gucci's development and presence underwhelm; this is not the unique masculine powerhouse that I expected. It's certainly not groundbreaking, but I'll admit it's not terrible either. Neutral.

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

for men which love women
    which love men.. is the pay off for the ads of Azzaro. It is true. Azzaro embodies the idea of these perfumes able to seduce immediately a woman. The true power of a perfume. deep and luxurious, but still elegant. dated but still actual. a classic.

Burberry for Men by Burberry

In this very masculine and 90es style eau de toilette (somehow similar to the first Herrera for Man, that was even better and more flowery),
    Burberry stands with not many other masculine and reassuring perfumes.
    The contrast between mint and tonka/vanilla pavement is deightful, but the evolution is somehow unclear, as someone as already reminded. Probably it is due to the role of limonene and other chemicals substances which if give roundness, yet behave somehow not naturally in the smell.
    the warm basenote is calming and adapt for daywear as well as for evening. A must have.

Eau Sauvage Extrême by Christian Dior

well, I agree with the completely different smell against eau sauvage, and cannot appreciate this extreme version. less complex, less vetiver in the basenote, somehow acid...

Reporter by Oleg Cassini

One of the greatest scents of the eighties! strong, durable and very masculine, i bought 2 bottles bvefore discontinued. smells terrific and ipnotic,

Zizanioides's avatar
    Zizanioides

Bandit by Robert Piguet

Real Bandit is fantastic and has been described at great length by much better writers than me. Everything they say about the real Bandit is true, it's the perfume that made me take interest in fragrance, an art I previously disregarded as the snobby cousin of bath oils.

But if you go looking for Bandit be advised; it has gone through so many reformulations at various times that there is no telling what your bottle may smell like. The newest incarnation (the reference number is 77011 on the bottle I'm holding) is a pale imitation of the original, thanks in part to IFRA mandated neutering and I would not recommend it. Look for an earlier version for a better chance of satisfaction.

H.O.T. Always by Bond No. 9

High oil content for sure. Very pungent. Very bold.

I must say, the top notes are very strange. It's like cinnamon and coca cola. It is a very "hot" scent indeed.

As it slowly dries, it gets slightly more tame, with a peaceful rose arising out of the fiery top notes. This again transforms into a leathery scent. However, the strange heat of the top notes continue to influence it for a very long time.

Chinatown by Bond No. 9

Has an interesting and unique fruit blossom opening. After a few minutes, it almost seems to have notes of cinnamon. The nice cedar/vanilla/cardamom base is slowly introduced, and blends very well with the top and mid notes. Overall, it is quite feminine, but there would be some occasions where this could be suitable for a guy (maybe doing yoga perhaps). It's quite peaceful (but not boring), if that makes any sense.

Central Park by Bond No. 9

The top notes are strange green ones. Smells like some kind of food that I've had on some rare occassion, but I can't put my finger on it. The basil is definitely a factor, but there's more to it.

A little more citrus seems to come out as mid notes. Lemon, mainly.

I didn't really smell any distinctive basenote. But I did not apply a great quantity, so this could be a factor perhaps.

This fragrance seems to play it safe for the most part. Not very likely to offend. It is well done, but lacks some of the boldness of some other Bond no 9 scents. I could imagine it being a bit more potent in warmer weather though.

Diamondflame's avatar
    Diamondflame
    Singapore Singapore

Maroussia by Slava Zaitsev

Notes from fragrantica.com
    *********************************
    Top: aldehydes, bergamot, orange blossom, peach
    Mid: heliotrope, jasmine, rose, lily of the valley, orchid, iris, tuberose, ylangylang
    Base: amber, benzoin, cedar, civet, musk, sandalwood, tonka bean, vanilla

Attractive looking bottle. Impressive set of notes. And of Russian origin to boot. Needless to say I found it intriguing enough to sample it on skin (1 spritz on my forearm, another on inside of elbow).

MAROUSSIA opens with something vaguely familiar, a touch of aldehydes and a fleeting peach-like note. Then it's gone, rather too soon, chased away by a blooming floral bouquet. I could detect hints of rose and jasmine but for the most part, the florals are all pretty muddled up, the blend not as finely executed as say Patou's 1000. Unlike Lauder's Beautiful, it is far from heady but more musky in a sexy-and-dirty kind of way, the warmth from the base amber almost palpable within the heart along with sweetness from vanilla and benzoin. A naive girl this scent is not, nor a lady of class. But a woman of raw passion? Perhaps. That's the impression I got anyway.

I find sillage to be decent enough but longevity could be better, the drydown leaving little trace after 4-5 hours. Yes, there are far better quality ambery florals out there but at the available price, getting acquainted with this Russian beauty has been more than a guilty pleasure for me. Hmm, somehow that doesn't sound quite right, does it?

MissMagic's avatar
    MissMagic
    Sweden Sweden

Theorema by Fendi

First of all. I just can NOT understand why FENDI notoriously discontinues their grand masterpieces of perfume artwork. This is the most beautiful perfect one in FENDI's line ever!! Even the paper-packing is extraordinary, black and gold, signed with autographs in gold inside. All notes are composed to a harminous perfection. The cinnamon (which I love the most), afghan spices and sweet cream amber captures my heart in a golden cage (Throw away the key please!!!) . Yes, I sure will stock up on this as much as I ever can.

NillaGoon's avatar
    NillaGoon

Escentric 01 by Escentric Molecules

Lime?! What you talkin' about, Willis? No lime here for me...

This formulation was very interesting to me in comparison to Molecule 01 (pure Iso E Super), which I could only smell for a fleeting instant. Escentric 01 smells very similar to Iso E Super, but with a peppery sheen; plus, I was actually able to continue smelling it. Schoen did a great job of potentiating and featuring the Iso E Super without distorting its essential character. A fascinating creation.

I highly recommend this fragrance as an educational tool. As a perfume, it's just kind of weird, like an entree composed entirely of MSG. Pleasant and long-lasting, though.

Bulgari Black by Bulgari

For some reason this fragrance reminds me of a F-1 race track. The rubber synthetic note is prominent but not at all offensive its mysterious and and the tea accords give it a nice touch, very unique. This is one of those fragrances that you can wear all day long into late in the evening. Women seem to like it because of the vanilla touch. It truly evokes a "you are in the modern jungle" theme. Perfect for black tie events..

Oxygène Homme by Lanvin

This bottle is collecting dust on my shelf. I really don't know why i bought it (thought it would be good for office wear), I cant get past the pepper. Almost as if someone dropped a bottle of aqua di gio in a pepper shaker and added some gardenia.

All in all this might work for some,but for me the sillage is ok, the fragrance smells dated and bland.

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

My first impression came out as if somebody had dropped an ink cartridge in a tub of Vaseline. I was dead set on returning the bottle, but then decided to give it a day to develop. This industrial strength cleaner transformed into a nice floral sweet fragrance. The initial dry down was rapid and vanished after an hour only to re-emerge with a complex and unique scent. It didn't give me a picture of snow capped mountains and glacier water streams with fresh crisp air, it just emerged as a regal scent,something with class and distinction.

The first time I wore it, I had more compliments than any other scent. A few women walked close by to figure out this complex scent, got hugs and some attention. This fragrance creates an aura around you without being too much in your face or filling up an entire room where people are running for the nearest exit.

I have heard that this thing doesn't last very long. It lasted about 5 hours for me to notice and stayed close to the skin for over 12 hours. I do have oily skin so that tends to increase its life however, if you have dry skin GIT and Erolfa might be better options. All in all this is an excellent fragrance its just a bit pricey for daily use so this bottle is reserved for special occasions.

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

Allure Homme Sport is in my Top 5 category. This is one of those scents you can wear all year round and not get bored with it. What i like best is the combination of metallic notes with citrus/watermelon tones Very unique. Its one of those sport fragrance that has little to do with the tennis court or golf course, its more like the one just hanging out at the country club feeling an edge of sportiness with refined lounging and having a good time with friends.

All in all the sillage is great and always garners compliments.

Essential by Lacoste

I really tried to like it, but whenever i wore it, it felt like someone's cooking gone bad. I smelled green apples and cardamom which is ok and nice on its own, and then comes the Tomato leaf monster which overpowers all the other elements giving it a very bitter accord. It is green in nature and hints at being sporty but cant seem to make up it mind in which direction to go. The fragrance lasts quite well on my skin but thats the downside who wants to smell like a tomato garden.

silverbullet's avatar
    silverbullet

Piper Nigrum by Lorenzo Villoresi

I definitely detect the pepper from top to bottom, but as it drys down it just becomes a softer spice for me. My lady friend loves it. When I left the room she couldn't wait till I came back because she liked it that much.

30th October, 2009 (Last Edited: 31st January, 2011)

L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci

A classic spicy floral that comes across to me as generic. L’Air du Temps one is centered on the “spiciness” of the carnation note. I don’t get the wood or fruit that are supposed to be involved in the opening; I get “carnation” and an ordinary jasmine. The middle goes more floral and begins to take on a rather powdery feel, the uninteresting jasmine remains strong to my nose, and there is a clove note in the background of the florals. The moss, wood, and amber come through for me in the base, and the base seems to me to be unclassically generic. I don’t think that the recent version of L’Air du Temps that I’m smelling now is the wonderful classic of all the positive reviews (Some of the appreciation of this scent seems more nostalgia than love for the fragrance.) Luca Turin gives the explanation of why this version isn’t as good as the vintage fragrance: restriction of an important ingredient. Unfortunately, this downward direction has likely hit more fragrances than this. It’s too bad that these reductions in quality happen, because I can see a very real potential in this fragrance… potential but not actual excellence with this present version.

Stardust for Men by Llewelyn

It’s an unusual accord that opens this fragrance. I think the combination of lime, conifer, and nutmeg is responsible for the disagreements about the similarities to other fragrances. This lime / conifer / and nutmeg accord doesn’t remind me of anything in particular, but there are several miscellaneous forgettable fragrances I’ve tested and immediately disliked. GIT… maybe… Aramis New West… a bit more than GIT. It certainly doesn’t remind me of Cool Water because I actually like Cool Water and I do not like this one. I just don’t care for the lime, nutmeg, and conifer combination in Stardust… It doesn’t sit right with me. I like Stardust a tiny bit better when it moves well into the heart notes where the jasmine and patchouli come together for a smooth, light woody accord – unfortunately I still smell the echoes of the aggressive, almost annoying opening accord from the beginning through the base.

Eau Parfumée au Thé Rouge by Bulgari

Opens very differently from the other Bulgari tea scents: This one comes on strongly (for Bulgari) with a blatantly rustic black tea note – it has such a satisfyingly clean, near-visceral fermented tea character. As far as the pink pepper, Seville orange, or bergamot is concerned, they are either hidden in the black tea accord or they aren’t there… at any rate, I don’t get any citrus or pepper. The heart note tea is more settled… smoother… and I lose a little interest because it is turning out to be too much like other tea scents that I already own. Also there is a semi-fig character to the heart tea, and I don’t understand why, because I would prefer a tea note to the scent of fig. I don’t get a much of a drydown except for a nutty background note and a little musk that doesn’t seem to last very long. The drydown shows up very scant on my skin. Except for the tea note, I don't find much to love in this fragrance.

Antico Caruso by Profumum

This is not a very complex scent. I get a rustic herbal accord in the opening – rough, soapy, probably a little arrogant… I get no citrus. The herbs quickly move into an herbal / almond accord that is pleasant. As the herbal notes disappear, the almond note becomes stronger and sweeter. I find Antico Caruso turns out to be almost a simple solo note fragrance: Almond, simple but quite enjoyable. I suppose that if the quality of the note is good, it doesn’t matter that the composition is uncomplicated. The lack of complexity works for me. The drydown is a plain, somewhat sweet almond note with a background of subtle but rich sandalwood. Both the almond note and the sandalwood note are of high quality, and I’m struck and surprised by the elegance of everything happening in Antico Caruso. It reeks of class and good breeding. …very good sillage and longevity.