Fragrance Reviews from October 2009

inscentiable's avatar

With Love... Hilary Duff by Hilary Duff

I get a very different result than others have with this, so I'm giving a neutral rating. It's not for me, but apparently HD and I just really, really don't agree. All I got was pepper - spicy, sharp, freshly ground black pepper. I eventually washed it off after a few hours because I was getting ready to go out and didn't want to smell like I'd scented myself with a pepper mill. I was actually shocked when I read the notes list and didn't see any pepper, or the ubiquitous (nowadays) pink peppercorn, because the note for me was so overwhelming, I couldn't detect anything else. No fruits, no sweetness, no vanilla...just pepper.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Ambre / Amber by L'Occitane

AMBRE is surprisingly competent, though not particularly sophisticated as others have rightly pointed out. Not much woods nor spice either but it does get smokier towards the drydown. Lasts an acceptable 4-5 hours on me.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Eau des Baux by L'Occitane

I can't agree more with the earlier reviewers; EAU DES BAUX does smell like a more expensive incense-inspired oriental. Even non-fans of frankincense might find it enjoyable. But while the amber vanilla drydown is pleasant enough it lacks a certain richness and comes across a little lightweight. Still, a full bottle worthy scent IMO.

Splash's avatar

Terre de Sarment by Frapin

Putting on Terre de Sarment is like taking a shower and lathering head to toe with an expensive hand-milled soap with ingredients that smell like the jet-set. I love the fresh florals and the wonderfully weighted spice bottom but that soap (aldehydes?) stays up in my face aggressively. If you love the Chanel classics this perfume will be a fresh update to old favorites, if soap notes don't work for you (no matter how expensive or well made) stay clear.

31st October, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th February, 2010)

Smilez's avatar

Estonia Estonia

Love Etc... by Body Shop

A very subtle, sweet, flirty scent. Perfect for younger women. Adored it from the first sniff. Opens up with floral notes of sweet jasmine and bergamot, calms down to a lighthearted, warm mix of vanilla, sandalwood and musk.

tsprague1's avatar

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

I like Drakkar Noir. When used properly (not bathing in it) it is rather quiet and sophisticated. A little bit does go a long way, though. It is easily over used.

Reaction for Men by Kenneth Cole

Perfect for summer , a clean fresh scent.
    The longevity problem is due because this is a cologne , just spray more , and problem solved.

Versace Man Eau Fraîche by Versace

A lemon juice , and very linear.
    I'm so bored with this kind of stuff

Calvin Klein Man by Calvin Klein

CK Man brings to my mind the sensation of walkinng inside a forest in a rainy day.
    A good scent.

Versace pour Homme by Versace

Too sweet and boring , gives me headache.
    I'm so glad I'd tried this before buying.

Pi Neo by Givenchy

I like it !
    Nothing new , but smells good.
    Try it first.

Perry Ellis for Men (new) by Perry Ellis

I'm impressed with the PEFM , because I use to avoid any fragrance that contains vanilla , but in this combination of notes , vanilla was well blended , very subtle.
    Taking place in one of my favorites in top 10.
    Big Thumbs UP !!!

Burberry the Beat for Men by Burberry

My first impression was that it's a too alcoholic-peppery strong opening. And 1 hour before stays
    linear and synthetic.

Euphoria Men Intense by Calvin Klein

Starts with a strong fruity opening , and the drydown is even more sweeter.
    If you want to smell like a strawberry juice , ok.
    Not my kind of scent.

CK Free by Calvin Klein

Great scent , very fresh.
    But longevity is poor

marika's avatar

L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci

I remember the real thing. L'Air du temps in its original guise was indefineable. It was heartbreakingly beautiful, like nothing else. Words like haunting, elusive, fleeting, sad, warm, lovely, magical, ethereal, other wordly - maybe ...give one an idea, but for me the words to desribe it have not been invented. Alas it is lost forever. The new formula should not be known by the same name. When I smell it I remember what I have lost and it makes me so melancholy. Reformulating these masterpieces is like someone re touching the Mona Lisa to make her style more palatable to the current market. Someone should be able to buy the rights to these classics and produce them as a niche market. Do you think that would be viable?

pollikins's avatar

Mitsouko by Guerlain

Have just discovered this site and have clicked straight on to read what you think of Mitsouko. Am amazed at the strength of the adverse opinions I've read....for me this is simply MY fragrance, the best perfume I have ever used, the one I return to again and again - nothing else comes close. I am constantly being stopped in the street by people asking what perfume iIam wearing....it's mysterious, romantic, intriguing - just....the best.

shamu1's avatar

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

Egoiste is shockingly strong. It may be the strongest fragrance I own, tied with Bogart Pour Homme. This baby projects like nuclear fallout, with a half-life of, oh, say 24 hours. Two spritzes is enough to clear out a small room. I'm surprised more of the reviews haven't pointed this out.

Despite its brutal strength, Egoiste is extremely refined and elegant, and it becomes more and more so the longer you wear it and give it a chance to evolve. It smells intensely spicy and peppery when you first put it on, but it soon becomes perfectly counterbalanced with sandalwood and soft, dark, muted floral notes. Though Egoiste is strong, it is not heavy - the vanilla in the base does nothing more than provide perfect balance and polish to the strong spice and wood notes. Underlying all of this is a subtle animalic smell that resembles civet. I am surprised that civet is not listed as a note in Egoiste.

Egoiste is beautifully dark and spicy. I think it's most suitable for either wearing while going out at night on a date, or wearing it in a business setting, though you have to be extremely careful with the dosage in that setting.

Released in 1990, Egoiste remains unique to this day. It does not smell in anyway outdated, and is timeless and classic. I have yet to smell any fragrance that attempts to mimic it. Egoiste remains in a class of its own.

MY RATING: 9/10

31st October, 2009 (Last Edited: 01st February, 2011)

She Wood by Dsquared2

Green, woody, and sappy… Quite a natural opening that is not at all feminine. It is more like the cut stems of fresh greens: It’s clean and refreshing, but certainly not light. Too much violet for me in the middle notes, but these violet notes don’t disgust me as violet notes usually do, so that’s sort of a plus for me. Of course, when there are violets present, I can’t smell the other notes – in this case heliotrope and musk – in the heart. Nice base: coniferous and woody with a touch of sweet amber, but the over-lasting of the violet note reduces the experience.

I’m not too sure that this is a very original fragrance. It seems to me that I have experienced somewhat the same scent in several unisex fragrances – it just seems a little too familiar. I think it’s an acceptable quality fragrance, well made with good ingredients. I love the sappy ambiance of the opening… the rest of She Wood is not very interesting, but I think those who like violet notes could possibly enjoy this one.

31st October, 2009 (Last Edited: 18 February, 2011)

KIG's avatar

Ungaro III by Ungaro

This one will always be in my wardrobe. Even right now I have a spare bottle. Just in case. Don’t even wear it that often, but when I do, feels really special.
    Jacques Polge have mastered the rose/for men/ better than anyone else. Egoiste is spectacular in that aspect. Ungaro III is not by any stretch of the imagination similar to Egoiste. Rose here is more prominent. Much more vibrant. The rest of it is a bliss.
    Some reading this may be put off by the rose comparison. Don’t. You’ll find, you never had an idea what a rose in male fragrance should smell like.
    All of us usually categorize fragrances by season. Ungaro III is equally attractive in a ski lodge or at a beach cabana. Something about the feel of being alive.
    Longevity is good, but not as good as the silage. The later is outstanding.
    9.5/10

31st October, 2009 (Last Edited: 24 February, 2011)

Evangeline's avatar

Calvin Klein by Calvin Klein

I bought a bottle of this for myself when I was 13, and I've had a bottle of it ever since (it wouldn't have been easy - I think it was discontinued in the early 80s - but I got lucky and stocked up when I came across it much later in an old drugstore.) Calvin Klein is a gorgeous, radiant and warm rose chypre that reminds me a bit of Diva but less darkly herbaceous, or perhaps a spicier and mossier Detchema. I can also smell some resemblance to Gucci No. 1, another aldehydic, mossy, carnationy rose ...and maybe Safari as well (all favorites of mine.) I wouldn't describe it as girly or flirty - it's womanly and elegant, tailored enough for the office and sexy enough for a romantic evening.

The first few moments are all about green aldehydes, then the rose becomes more evident. Although the rose is dominant to my nose, it's definitely more chypre in character rather than a full-blown floral. Like many 70s chypres, it's very complex and full of well-blended notes, and I have a hard time picking out a lot of them - peach? Gardenia and raspberry? I'll just say that everything that's in it is doing a wonderful job.

I'm sincerely shocked that this isn't more frequently mentioned - it just seems too beautiful to be so obscure. And it makes me wonder what could have taken its place, because anyone who loves these classic 70s chypres would surely have something like this in their wardrobe. I'm quite smitten with many of the newer spicy or dirty rose "chypres" (Agent Provocateur, Rossy de Palma) but I've yet to find one that can replace the original Calvin Klein in the glossy burgundy box.

31st October, 2009 (Last Edited: 09 August, 2011)

KIG's avatar

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

During the 90’s I admired it. Then, I thought it was bit on the sweet side. Nowadays, I can’t get enough.
    Is it sweet, or bitter and smoky?.. I guess it depends on your perception. Vanilla can be too sweet, rose can only be used by a master, otherwise it's usually too candy like, especially when aiming for the masculine version.
    Longevity and sillage are spectacular.
    Absolutely mesmerizing, and one of a kind. One of the best ever created.

31st October, 2009 (Last Edited: 13 November, 2011)