Fragrance Reviews from October 2009

mst09's avatar

Turkey Turkey

Quorum Silver by Antonio Puig

Very good fragrance.This Frag ,same CD sauvage extreme light.

whiteflowers's avatar

Tubéreuse Couture 17 by Parfumerie Generale

This is one amazing fragrance. Like Carnal Flower, it is an immensely different take on tuberose, and I find it to be a magical one. Agree with Galamb above that this is a sleeper, but definitely shouldn't be.

TC starts out very fresh and green and not really tuberose at all for me.
    The sugar cane and the kalamanzi oil give it a sweetish tropical edge, without dragging it down into the dreaded realms of so many of the generic tropical fragrances on the market. Rather, TC takes you away...it transports you into a lush, wet rainforest full of banana leaves and sugar cane and tuberose flowers after the rain.

The sweet notes dry down and you are left with a very smooth, rich and elegant tuberose.....it transcends the tropical sweetness into something very quiet and elegant.....not screaming like Fracas and without the dark sombre notes of CF. It is a lady-like tuberose, one for pearls and LBDs and high heels.

Overall, TC is full of contrasts and a very complex story. Its very strong, but soft, powerful and radiant and yet understated and serene. One of the most enjoyable renditions of tuberose ever.

Overall, FB worthy for me and a magnificent addition to any white floral lover's wardrobe.

whiteflowers's avatar

Tubéreuse by Caron

Caron's Tubereuse is one of the quietest and most sophisticated renditions of the flower that I have come across. This is a tuberose fit for someone like Audrey Hepburn or Grace Kelly, glamorous, ladylike and bewitching without endangering its supreme state of elegance.

It isn't a high pitched as Fracas, not as dark as Carnal Flower or as interesting as Parfumerie Generale's Tubereuse Couture...it is definitely to me the sort of Dior's New Look of Tuberose: all pearls and cut suits and neat and manicured nails paired with a Hermes Kelly bag. Somehow Caron has tamed the most untame-able of flowers and made it serene.

But don't get me wrong, even in its sophisticated quiteness, Caron still sings a very buttery tuberose tune. Sillage is amazing. If Fracas is a baguette diamond, Caron's Tubereuse is its princess cut diamond solitare sister.

heynow's avatar

Fahrenheit Absolute by Christian Dior

A great job by Dior to reinvigorate the original Fahrenheit with the 'in' notes of today while remaining true to the original formula and feel. The opening is recognizably Fahrenheit minus the strong gassy note and a cumin/spice/myrrhe note grafted on top. These spice notes give way to a light incense, again with the original violet accord lurking underneath. Incense eventually is joined by a hint of oud, and the oud and incense persist and become the base of the fragrance as the violet and 'original' aspect of this fragrance disappear. The oud is definitely there, but it's hardly front-and-center, but rather serves as a dark, woody contrast to the sharp frankincense. All in all I get at least 7-8 hours of longevity. The sillage is roughly equal to that of the original, perhaps even slightly less. A great fragrance worthy of hunting down, even if you're not a big fan of Fahrenheit.

puregraphite's avatar

Sander for Men by Jil Sander

This is such a nice fragrance to wear. Very charming. I get a lot of compliments when wearing this one. Don't spray too much of it. A whiff or two and you're good to go.

Ken_Russell's avatar

Romania Romania

Bergamotto Marino by Gianfranco Ferré

One of the best Eau de Cologne-style frags around. Light, faithful to its unisex potential, yet also with some unassuming, discreet and classy masculine notes. A treat for today's distinguished, discriminating yet modern wearer. The bergamot notes are just stunningly well put together, as with the very persistent yet never intrusive dry-down. Suitable both for casual wear and with high-end, semi-formal attire.

decker's avatar

Swiss Unlimited by Victorinox

I really enjoyed the fresh scent of this fragrance, but apply sparingly. It lasts at least 5-6 hours. It is a fragrance that offers quality beyond it's fancy packaging. May be too strong for some and it can be cloying if overapplied. I enjoy wearing it often.

jdnba's avatar

Fierce for Men by Abercrombie & Fitch

women do in fact love it...the first few times i wore it i was slightly put off, but the dry down for me saves it. The dry down is a very subtle musk that comes off of you in waves. I have received many compliments on this one and I keep it as my "car cologne" to freshen up at the end of long day for my final sales calls of the day

derekp's avatar

Le Rivage des Syrtes / PdN1 by MDCI

I ordered a sample of this one since it was the only non-feminine fragrance left for me to try from this house (having loved both Ambre Topkapi and Invasions Barbare). The candied fruit top notes of this scent bring Bubblelicious gum to mind a little bit, and never fully pass the baton to the heart notes on my skin. Hours later the florals emerged a little bit more, but only some of the sweetness of the base ever peeked through. I think this one shares some characteristics with her Fig-Tea, which I also enjoyed. It's fruity, very sweet, and clean all the way through. I detect no musc or incense, as listed in the pyramid, that may have made this one a touch more masculine.

I know this didn't sound like a glowing review, but I really do consider it another winner for MDCI....just not one I'm comfortable wearing or calling a unisex.

SirSlarty's avatar

Uppercut by Everlast

A lightly spicy and sweet aquatic with a drydown of musk and sandalwood. 4 hours of longevity. I find this very similar to Diesel's Plus Plus Masculine or Only The Brave.

Stephanotis by Floris

This is a straightforward white floral, soapy and clean, but sadly somehow not rounded in my opinion. I found Stephanotis rather generic and a little sharp. It's very likely that I would love the soap, but the fragrance never convinced me.

Champs-Elysées by Guerlain

Pretty, soapy, doesn't hurt, very one-dimensional and nothing special at all - a disappointment. This is the first Guerlain release after the house had been taken over by LVMH in 1994 (the date given in the description above is wrong) and is IMHO somehow a symptom of decline. The commercial with Sophie Marceau is stunning, though - but sadly it doesnt't fit the fragrance at all.

Balkis by Nicolaï

If it wasn't a PdN, nobody would seriously consider or review this fragrance. Few words suffice to describe it fully: roses, berries and far, far too sweet. Why, Patricia, why?

Gucci by Gucci by Gucci

The EdP is one of my favourite autumn fragrances. It is rich, delicious, sensuous (but not sultry), extravagant yet comforting; just the right scent for a foggy, chilly day. I don't specially like the opening, which is very loud (sticky, sweet pear) and heavy (on the patchouli). It's after one hour that the pleasure really starts for me. Gucci by Gucci has then become a well balanced, woodsy patchouli/honey fragrance, nicely blended, still gourmand but not cloying. Sadly the show is over after 3 to 4 hours. The longevity could definitely be better and isn't really in proportion to the pompous opening. Thumbs up nevertheless!

Fuel For Life pour Femme by Diesel

Diesel Fuel for Life

Notes: Cassis, Pink Pepper, Jasmine, Indole, Patchouli, Ambry Notes (from osmoz.com)

Many people know that I am a complete patch-head. So, give me a patchouli-centered fragrance, especially a decent one, and I'll pay attention. I first tried Fuel for Life when it debuted, went through two spray samples, enjoyed it very much, but did not buy a full bottle. Fast forward to today, and I still really like the astringent, slightly camphoraceous patchouli which is melded with some kind of indolic tropical flower, fermented, half-rotted melon and sour fruit notes. Overall, the fragrance is quite linear, and is definitely not the most artistic scent out there. But, what can I say? Sometimes a fragrance does not have to be a masterpiece in order to be satisfying. Perhaps if Guerlain had bottled this, it would not have been relegated to the bottom shelf.

Positive Rating

Diesel Fuel for Life Unlimited

Notes: Lemon, Mandarin, Pear, Guava, Violet, Aloe, Sambac Jasmine, Lily, Anise, Licorice, Sandalwood (from sephora.com)

After trying Fuel for Life, I half expected Fuel for Life Unlimited to be an ultra-special rendition of its namesake. In reality, I can't say it does much to enhance the aura of the original. However, it is rather pretty and feminine, perhaps a bit more rounded for times when the patchouli and funky fruit combination of Fuel for Life is a bit too weird. Indeed, FFLU pulls back from the edge, and falls smack into a land of plentiful and ordinary fruity floriental fragrances. Having said that, FFLU is definitely not the worst of the bunch, and thankfully has not taken a ride on the grapefruit, soap and air freshener bus as do many "clean and fresh" flankers to oriental bombshells. The sour citrus notes of FFLU are subdued, and the fluffy marshmallow cloud of vanilla woods is allowed to be mostly that--soft and creamy, sweet with a bit of an astringent edge. FFLU is nice but nothing outstanding, and definitely not as daring as the original.

Neutral Rating

Ed Hardy Woman by Christian Audigier

Ed Hardy Women

Notes: bergamot, blood orange, red sake accord, black currant, pink peppercorn, nectarine, jasmine, forbidden plum, sensual musk, cedarwood, sandalwood and patchouli (from macys.com)

This has to be the fragrance that wins the prize for smelling the most like a Jolly Rancher candy. It is mouth puckeringly sour with a huge dose of a synthetic, nondescript "red" fruit flavor that seems part way between watermelon and strawberry. I suppose this is what might happen if you take Miss Dior Cherie and amplify the fruit without attempting to create any kind of balance or structure. The sour fruit is backed by a sugary and diaphanous vanilla-wood note, similar to many other woody orientals on the market, but not nearly as well done. Although I dislike Miss Dior Cherie on my skin, it is a much better composition--skip the Ed Hardy and go for the Dior.

Omnia Green Jade by Bulgari

Bulgari Omnia Green Jade

Notes: Spring Water, Green Mandarin, White Peony, Nasturtium, Pear Tree Flower, Jasmine Petals, Fresh Pistachio, White Woods, Musk (from sephora.com)

Omnia Green Jade is done in the typical restrained style that most other Bulgari fragrances (except Black) seem to have. To my nose, tea is the central accord, and is obvious from the start. There is also a doughy, powdery, almond-vanilla, rubbery note that I have smelled in various sweet oriental fragrances. The tea is what anchors the composition as its sharp leather-tobacco edge cuts through the shapeless dough note. Soft Iso E Super woods hum along in the base. OGJ is extremely light and fleeting. It makes me think of a toned-down Kenzo Amour with tea added. Perhaps it shares more kinship to Black that I am willing to admit, since I also find OGJ a bit like Black but without any of the character. I find that Black puts my teeth on edge every time I smell it, so I can't say that a de-fanged version is all bad.

Bigsly's avatar

M; Men by Masakï Matsushïma

I think the top notes create olfactory fatigue, and so many feel it has poor longevity. Because I try to avoid top notes as much as possible, this doesn't happen to me, and I get a strong 5 hours with two full sprays to the chest, though the sillage is moderate. It comes across to me as one big accord, with citrus and vetiver being in charge. I don't really smell much in the way of tea, rosemary, or nutmeg. There is a mild musky quality, but more like laundry detergent than something animalic. It's not sweet, and I think that helps make it feel "light," yet full and rich. Certainly, this is a great "office" or school fragrance. While "simple," it doesn't really get boring, though I don't wear the same fragrance two days in a row, so if you do that, then it might get boring. Overall, this is well done and has no "flaws," but don't expect some sort of olfactory revelation here.

Kewal's avatar

Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentrée by Chanel

I absolutely love this fragrance. When i was a young man of 15, I decided that I would find a fragrance to wear and stumbled across this (this was 1989, the same year it was released). I tried it on and loved it. So many other reviews mention its maturity and confidence, and that's exactly what it inspired in me when I wore it. I saved my money to buy a bottle and it has been a staple in my collection for 20 years now. In fact, it was the start of my wardrobe. I love it's warmth and the way that the fragrance lingers close to my skin and lasts all day (I'm smelling it now, 14 hours after I applied it this morning). When I met my sister's in laws, her MIL said "wow... you smell amazing!" and my sister said "he's always smelled like that, I love that about him".

I love it after the top notes have gone; so warm yet green, with that sweet cream note cooling off underneath it all. Oh, so nice.

So yeah... this is my all time favorite, and even though I've got a wide collection of things, I know that this is one that will always be there for me.

Sybarite's avatar

Muschio di Quercia / Oak Moss by AbdesSalaam Attar Profumo

Muschio di Quercia is "Profumo's" ode to oakmoss. And oh how utterly marvelous to have a fragrance with an abundance of genuine natural Oakmoss and actual true Mysore Sandalwood !
    It's a perfect blend of these two notes, but with also a pretty large dose of vetiver. These three notes being the most apparent throughout. At first mostly the oakmoss and vetiver in almost equal measure. Followed by a "dry-down" of delicious, somewhat "nutty" sandalwood.
    The main reason why I enjoy "Profumo's" fragrances is because they are an excellent example of all-natural botanical perfumery. The excellence of his natural ingredients are immediately apparent. So I really relish the idea of fragrances made with no synthetic substitutes, for a change. And this one is without a doubt my favourite from this line (so far !).
    However, with this one being my favourite, I am just the tiniest bit disappointed to discover that it actually happens to be the only one of Abdes Salaam's fragrances to contain a non all-natural ingredient. (The only one !)
    For the vetiver note used here is actually a Vetiveryl Acetate. Vetyver acetate is obtained from the manipulation and chemical transformation of the natural vetiver. (So it's still derived from vetiver oil, and therefore not exactly completely synthetic as such. Though, of course, "man-made" in a lab !)
    But not that this actually makes any difference to the blend, for this fragrance still smells just as perfectly natural as all his others.
    It's quite a simple and "straightforward" scent, yet I think that's part of it's charm! And one which I think should not disappoint anyone who enjoys these three notes specifically. I got exactly what I expected from it, and more !

katiechance's avatar

Leather Garden by Neil Morris Fragrances

i get complimented on this fragrance regularly -- the two levels are oddly distinct... floral & leather, that's it. none of the typical incense, musk notes on the drydown which makes it one of my favs.

vintage*red's avatar

Cuir by Lancôme

Love at first sniff . This leather is more beautiful than elegant. It starts as a proper leather fragrance and then it morphs into a wonderful warm floral. Yes, floral ! I always am amazed by this transformation. The drydown, however, is true to the overture...a soft suede that stays close to the skin. There is little sillage and, unfortunately, limited longevity, but this fragrance is so compelling that it IS worth the bother of reapplying often. This is definately not a masculine in any way, which is a strange thing to say about leather. But it is so beautiful, so wonderful that anyone who loves perfume should try it. I cannot believe that the venerable Cuir de Russie could be any better, although I am anxious to try it. (Is Chanel ever going to sell less than a gallon of the stuff? When (if) they do, I will be the first in line to give it a go.) PS This is a very deceptive juice. When I thought that the scent had vanished from my skin, I found myself detecting something wonderful "in the ether". It was me! Did I get some on my clothes? Is this some sort of magical perfume? I think so...

04th October, 2009 (Last Edited: 11th October, 2009)

adowds's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Royal English Leather by Creed

In reading all the previous reviews I have picked out several words which are repeated throughout, rich, round, smooth, vanilla, dirty, creamy, sweet, caramel, vanilla, buttery and musky. 'everso' is the only one to pinpoint the main element of this fragrance, ambergris! Real English Leather is a fragrance that is given all the qualities mentioned in the first sentence, and therefore ALL it's direction, by the ambergris that is present in abundance. It is of course genius in its obviousness, a soft and fresh leather can be described as having same qualities but it would be impossible for the leather to retain these qualities in a bottle. Ambergris substitutes and does this with ease. The resemblance to "urinal cakes" is uncanny when smelling the nozzle of the bottle and the first blast to the skin, but it soon dies off for those that may be concerned, and me, I quite like it. What I’m not thrilled about is the fecal note that follows the urinal cakes exit. From the start REL contains a powdery note that is hard to place. It is not until the top and mid notes die off that it can be seen to resemble the magnesium smell of talcum powder.

I've given my thoughts already on ambergris in my review of Angelique Encens and won't repeat them here. I will say though that I can tolerate it in small doses to 'round' a fragrance and give a 'creamy' quality to a blend of other ingredients. Here in REL it sits heavily in the base and has more potency than the other elements, as a result it turns my stomach slightly. Other reviewers have also stated that REL tames and becomes soft, yes that's true, as all the other notes disappear one by one the ambergris is left standing to the bitter end.

Agreed it will read like I don’t like REL and it’s true that it’s just not for me. That said it is indeed gloriously unique and will make a bold statement for those that can stomach it and choose to wear it. It’s also genius how such a vivid and fresh leather fragrance can be created without necessarily including any leather.

soirdelune's avatar

Cuir Venenum 03 by Parfumerie Generale

Grotesque. Pleather and grape juice. A fruity leather? What were they thinking? Horrific.

JonB's avatar

Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain

After reading the reviews, I thought I would love this, but alas I don't. The berry topnotes I do not find appealing. The drydown is OK, but very simple vanilla. Nice, but I will probably end up with Ambre Narguile or Tobacco Vanille, both of which I enjoy more.

Arpeggiator's avatar

Or Black by Pascal Morabito

A very vintage ambery leather scent - one among the few left hardcore-leathers like Knize 10 or Derby. A little bit more leathery than Derby but less than K10.
    OB starts with a strong leathery-amber note. But it’s not as “black” as K10 due to the warm balsamic (benzoin, tonka) base, which gives OB ease and comfort and keeps it close to the skin. It’s quiet and almost creamy in comparison to the more “aggressive” Derby or K10. Some would call it dated - I would call it mature. It has a good sillage, which is not too offensive but always present. Staying power is very good too.

It’s a very well balanced warm leather scent with no unpleasant surprise. I can’t detect any development during the day, so it’s quite linear for me. Among the hardcore leathers I would definitely favour OB.
    (rating 6/10)

Apicius's avatar

Antico Caruso by Profumum

This is like a reduced version of Le Male by Gaultier.

It has the same benzoin smell, but not as strong as LM. No sticky sweetness. The almond/maybe vanilla it is rather dry, woody dry, probably due to the sandalwood. In opposite to LM, Antico Caruso is a discreet scent.

Longevity is short, compared to LM..

Remember the sailor in the Le Male advertisement? For an Antico Caruso ad, a distinguished elderly gentlemen would be more appropiate.

I rather take the sailor.

Bartlebooth's avatar

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

Take a stroll on a moonlit winters night, and you will recreate the physical equivalent of L'Heure Bleue .It has a haunting austerity that will either repel or enchant you. Personally, I prefer these fragrances that evoke a sense of consciousness, rather than something designed for a specific occasion. Gentle, powdered floral notes are supported by a sweeter base that ensures an episode of simple pleasures. I am especially fond of wearing the EDP version in cooler conditions. A modest application provides a most memorable experience.

shamu1's avatar

Versace Man by Versace

When I wear cologne, I don't want to smell like cookies, cake, chocolate, fruit pies, etc.. Versace Man starts off promising with a spicy-sweet accord that smells like tobacco, amber and citrus. I thought I was going to really like Versace Man at first. Within 15 minutes, however, it turns into this dreadful "gourmand" fragrance, and for the next 6 hours, I'm suffering through the smell of blueberry cobbler and vanilla ice cream on my skin. Maybe fans of dessert colognes might like this, but not me.

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Swiss Army by Swiss Army

Green minty opening that fades all too quickly to an obscure drydown on my skin. I was hoping for more SWISS ARMY-style versatility but this is just another rank-and-file addition to the fresh-but-bland brigade. Nowhere near as useful as the knife, this scent calls out "At ease!" when it could have been "Atten-tion!"