Fragrance Reviews from October 2009

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Clean Men by Clean

Smells cheap. Looks cheap. Price is anything but cheap. This is nothing but a marketing stunt or a practical joke; I half expected the Just for Laughs crew to appear when I was trying this on. I guess such a bad first impression was enough for me to disqualify CLEAN MEN from a fuller review. Next!

Diamondflame's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Jack Black Signature Black Mark by Jack Black

A milder, more modern interpretation of the masculine woody aromatic. The astute selection of spices lends an interesting contrast to the oft-unruly cedar for a tighter composition with few rough edges. I can't detect the leather either. While not particularly outstanding, I find BLACK MARK to be as comforting as the easy-going charms of a favorite uncle. This is indeed a well-tailored option for the confident man.

cheekyhamsta's avatar

Versus Uomo by Versace

I recall having a bottle of this fun-filled creation in 1995. I also remember adoring the smell which I have seen described accurately as resembling a lemon sherbet candy/fountain or lemon cheesecake…you get the drift. I haven’t smelt it since, but its distinctive and playful smell has remained imprinted on my mind. It made an excellent casual and long lasting fragrance, but on balance was probably a bit too frivolous or “yoof” smelling to use as an office scent in a serious work environment or for anyone over 35 years old. Its lemony-powdery-piney drydown was quite metrosexual in my opinion, and might also have made it a good unisex fragrance. Why on earth this gem of a scent was discontinued is truly baffling, as it could only bring a smile to anyone’s face who whiffed it. UPDATE: Found a bottle of this in Sudan very recently and snapped it up! It's as good as I remember it being

04 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 09 December, 2009)

's avatar

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

KOUROS! What more is there to say?

's avatar

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Rive Gauche reminds me of when my dad and me go to Seville Row to buy new suits. It is very understated and says I'm a gentleman who knows what I like and I won't settle for anything less.

Jackisblack's avatar

D&G Masculine by Dolce & Gabbana

eh. bought it since i got a 1oz edt for 15 bucks. sprayed some on. lemon/pepper overload then it dies down to nothing basically lol. took it back.

Jackisblack's avatar

Escada Homme by Escada

boozy and vanilla. perfect for the fall/winter. I like. considering I got it for 9 bucks at Ross, I can't complain. This is definitely a more formal and dated (no thats not a bad thing lol.) scent than I am used to, but it just smells great. can't complain. I get a christmas/any fall winter holiday vibe from this scent.

Young Dro's avatar

Bosnia and Herzegovina Bosnia and Herzegovina

Pi Neo by Givenchy

To me its very clean, fresh and modern. Although it might smell like the original Pi, still enjoy this one. The longevity is great too (6-8+ hours). If you're looking for a patchouli based cologne, then check this one out!

SImon2009's avatar

Burberry the Beat for Men by Burberry

It smells totally synthetic and causes headache.

cheekyhamsta's avatar

Rive Gauche pour Homme Intense by Yves Saint Laurent

Not good, not bad. I get mostly a sweet smokiness, and the "moist earth" texture thrown up by the patchouli, but IMO its close rival Azzaro Pour Homme is more interesting than this. I agree word for word with Bonzo's review - but will also add that the bottle container albeit plastic has a charmingly simple & sporty appeal. The scent is long lasting and has a deceptive sillage that my nose quickly calibrates to but which I've been told remains very apparent to those around me. I think neutral is a fair rating for what I think is a slightly overrated fragrance.

04 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 28 September, 2011)

evinick's avatar

Greece Greece

Gris Clair by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Definitely not the kind of lavender I expected to smell. Smoky, almost completely sun dried grey summer lavender, along with a really nice quality amber note create an interesting, yet linear blend. Unlike most SL creations, this one doesn’t evolve much on my skin, however the more you smell it the more familiar and comforting it becomes. A truly inspired formal winter scent, everyone should at least try.

fuzzybutt59's avatar

Essence Rare by Houbigant

I agree with VV,Essence Rare was one of the best fragrances by Houbigant.Such a shame it's discontinued,and now almost impossible to find.
    The "green" notes in Essence Rare are similar to Vent Vert by Balmain or Leonard de Leonard.
    The original ice sculpture bottes are now VERY collectable,as are the dusting powder bowl & other crystal dressing table accessories.

fuzzybutt59's avatar

Léonard de Léonard by Léonard

Leonard de Leonard is a beautifull soft green fragrance,incredibly long lasting,as are all Leonard fragrances.
    The top notes remind of Clinique Aromatics or Aramis 900,the green middle notes are similar to Vent Vert by Balmain.The notes of carnation & hyacinth are very distinct,such a shame it's discontinued.

Eau du Contadour by L'Occitane

Top: lemon, lavender, sage and juniper
    Mid: bitter orange, mint and hay
    Base: fern, rose and sandalwood cyst
    I am somewhat disappointed in this scent. I don’t get the citrus notes or the lavender. On me, it is a [B] very [/B] powdery scent. It really has an aspect like baby powder a lot of the time. Essentially, it is a minty-grassy sort of scent. That’s OK with me, I like grassy and hay-like scents, and I don’t mind the mint. The ‘fern’ probably comes from coumarin or something similar, which will add to the hay-like character. I just wish there were more aromatic/green notes, and less powder. Definitely a warm-weather scent, on a cool day it just seems to add to the coolness and never warms up.

Earth by Scentsational of Huntington

Very rich, deep, herbal and woodsy, on a warm patchouli base.” I quote the product blurb because I really can’t improve on this description. I am surprised at how much I enjoy this scent, since the patchouli is so prominent. I don’t dislike patchouli, but neither am I a big fan of it. It is done well here – it is powerful but not obnoxious. It does give an earthy, woodsy note to the scent. At times it has the leathery and nutty aspects I often find in patchouli. The scent is suave and sensual. I think patchouli fans would love this.

Cèdre by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

My reaction to this is simple. Amber, amber, and more amber. Will someone deliver me from this amber hell? I’m even begging for tuberose (normally not a thing I seek) just for some relief… alas, there’s none here for me. Certainly no cedar, which is why I thought I’d be interested. This is a very sweet, toothache-inducing scent. I certainly get the bubblegum reference. I also get an image of rubber erasers in a sweaty little hand, and coconut. This could be a celebrity teenybopper scent. Did I mention that this is essentially a syrupy, ambery goo? Scrubber. I’m bootin’ this Luten.

1869 by Acca Kappa

Notes: cardamom, geranium, iris, violet, amber, vanilla, leather.
    This is an interesting scent. The first time I tried it, I noticed the warm spices and the hint of leather – and I thought of Gucci Nobile. The second time I tried it, I noticed the violet leaves, and thought of Grey Flannel. This is a classy, masculine scent. The warm spices and the cool violet work well together, in a quietly assertive way. It sits close to the skin and has good longevity.

Very Irresistible for Men Fresh Attitude by Givenchy

Notes: mint, grapefruit, basil, mocha, cedar.
    It is hard to believe that a scent can be both vacuous and irritating, but this one succeeds in that dubious category. It is a very sporty, minty scent; aggressively fresh and quite strong. It does not smell natural at all, in fact it reminds me of those car deodorizers one hangs in the windshield. An hour later I still found it to be nasty, and I scrubbed it off.
    Very avoidable with a bad attitude.

nthny's avatar

Armani Privé Ambre Soie by Giorgio Armani

I enjoy amber fragrances very much and to me, Ambre Soie is very different from any I've tried so far. On me, Ambre Soie starts off deliciously gourmand, with an almost boozy oatmeal cookie effect, complete with raisins, cinnamon and a hint of anise and clove. The spices in Ambre Soie are rendered so seemlessly, so dense and finely ground into a luxuriously silky "powder", that they create an indistinguishable bond with the amber so as to make it impossible for me to discern one from the other. Linear, lasts several hours, and I assume based on compliments received that it projects fairly well. I received this during the whole discount store Armani Prive sale madness and for that reason, I occasionally overlook it, but it is really an incredibly gorgeous, luxuriously textured fragrance.

trebizond's avatar

Vetiver by Guerlain

Like a few other people here, I bought this without sampling first. I've also made other massive mistakes in how I live my life. This is absolutely awful stuff - the first hit is like snorting a line of pine toilet duck. It doesn't get any better from there on in - middle notes smells like an ashtray after five days of not being emptied, and then it just settles back into a generally offensive pine/tobacco/faux nature scent malevolence.

When I first tried this out, it knocked both myself and the girl I was testing it on sick. I washed it off and went back to something sensible, which she much preferred. I appreciate that many many people on here think it's lovely, and vive la difference, but please learn by my error and sample first.

trebizond's avatar

Himalaya by Creed

I've skirted around the edges of Creed since I really became interested in fragrances, approaching via Penhaligon's and L'Artisan Parfumeur, amongst others. I figured it was finally time to get involved, and first ordered a sample of Himalaya. My first impression was one of massive annoyance - I had hoped not to like it, only for the sake of my wallet and my bank manager's hair.

Unfortunately it is wonderful - complex and refined. There's a hard centre surrounded by a flowery masculinity, kind of like Rutger Hauer wearing a sarong. My bank manager is now completely bald and I'm impecunious, but nothing much matters :)

30 Roses's avatar

Highland Lilac of Rochester by Highland Lilac of Rochester

Highland Lilac of Rochester is simply the best soliflore lilac I have smelled. If you are in search of a realistic, non-powdery, long lasting lilac scent with good sillage, you owe it to yourself to test this one; the company sells sample vials on its website.

carolyn ross's avatar

L'Eau Ambrée by Prada

Best new fragrance in a decade. Light and rich at the
    same time.

Muschio Bianco / White Moss by Acca Kappa

Nice 'n' clean mossy frag with a squeaky clean musk. Not much else to expect from something so aptly named. Low sillage but good longevity. Decent standard work cologne.

Lucifer No. 4 by Damien Bash

For some reason, the opneing is like opening a new tin of Hershey's cocoa powder mix. Must be an overdose of the florals used in this. Then it dries down into a light musky tea scent. If you think you'd like a chocolate floral musk, you might like this. I do not.

Sienne L'Hiver by Eau d'Italie

Dry, earthy booze. Way to hot in the spice department and smells like a Greek bazaar. I get a lot, and I mean a lot of the lovie scent from this. Olives and liquor. That's not something I enjoy smelling or wearing.

adowds's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Acqua Viva by Profumum

Begins with a beautifully sharp and bright lemon blast, but very quickly something putrid and woody appears underneath. It was quite unbearable and I did feel a little nauseous. Each following five minutes I cautiously took a sniff and found that after 30 minutes the smell was gone leaving only the pleasant lemon and a little dry wood.

I’m not a big fan of Lemon fragrances, GFT is enough for me and Acqua Viva isn’t about to take it’s place.

A Taste of Heaven by By Kilian

Notes of .......calabria bergamot oil, geranium bourbon oil, orange flower absolute, Turkish rose absolute, green absinthe oil, lavender barreme oil, lavandin abrialis oil, lavandin green absolute, lavandin green concrete, Indonesian patchouli oil, oak moss extract, costus oil, ambrarome absolute, vanilla bean absolute, tonka beans

I am so impressed by the By Kilian perfume range . I have loved all I have tested so far. This is no exception . This is just lavender ,lavender and more lavender - wonderfully blended . There's no sharpness just fresh lavender ,a bit green , when you first apply , then it deepens to a sweeter lavender and it smooths out gradually ,gets a little sweeter still, the lavender gets less prominent with the help of the oakmoss, patchouli ,vanilla and musk . I guess this is a lavender soliflore really but a gorgeous modern take. Both for men and women . I adore this. The color of the liquid is light green .

Kiki Parfum Extrait by Vero Profumo

This is pure perfume and it is to me ,mainly a lavender soliflore. The caramel ,musks and fruits are side players in this, on my skin.
    The Luckyscent sample is not very much as you know and it makes me want to order a decant or another 2 samples to further test.
    It's unisex, fresh ,smoothly blended, refreshing . If you like lavender ,Jicky ,fougeres, then you will probably like this. The price tag for even 7.5 mls is pretty hefty at $ 185 and $305 for 15 mls - this costs more than Jicky extrait. So I am very hesiitant about a full bottle. If I had to chose between Jicky and this, I would still remain faithful to Jicky I am afraid.

Daphne by Daphne Guinness

Notes of bitter orange, incense, saffron, rose centifolia, Tunisian jasmine, tuberose, iris, patchouli, oud, amber, vanilla.

This morning and this evening I am trying out Daphne by Comme des Garcons X Daphne Guinness.
    I heard this will be a limited edition but hopefully not as there is nothing on the luckyscent website about that

This is my second sampling from my measly 0.7 ml sample ! To my amateur nose, this is quite nicely blended. I was so afraid of the Oud- but it's not apparent at all. It opens with a lovely orange incense and then you think it will be a strong strong perfume but it softens nicely to a floral with the tuberose amber and vanilla. It is quite glam , reminiscent of vintage chic and quite beautiful - full bottle worthy for me