Fragrance Reviews from October 2009

AnimaSola's avatar
    AnimaSola

Tuscany / Etruscan by Aramis

It is an attractive scent, but it can be overpowering. More pronounced than I would expect a "Tuscan" fragrance to be. Perhaps they should have called it "Napoli" or "Sicilia." One spray will do.

Balvon's avatar
    Balvon
    Lithuania Lithuania

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

Dior Homme

This is one of the best mens fragrances I have come accross, it is not to musky smelling, and is light. Its really nice!

leogeee's avatar
    leogeee

Sentiment for Men by Escada

Well, I was in Marshall's and the bottle was there, uncovered and ready for a sniff. From the bottle it smelled intriquing. Then I sprayed the air and walked into it. It was a "fruity Joop" experience at first, then the lingering synthetics wouldn't leave me alone.

Marcelle's avatar
    Marcelle

Gotham by Neil Morris Fragrances

Bigsly nailed this for me: it's a little like Ysatis (which I used to love) wrapped in narcissus (meh) with a warm undertow of leather and amber. I don't know what to make of it, quite, on the one hand, the opening blast is a little too sweet for me, and the drydown is old-school amber and labdanum. But then again, just when you think you've got it pegged as something from grandma's closet or your hippie college days, you catch the pepper or the leather or that leafy note (myrtle?) and it impresses with its layers. It's overwhelmingly masculine and overwhelmingly feminine at the same time--and that's both the beauty and the beast of it.

I'm not so much neutral about this as ambivalent. I don't know that I'll ever invest in a full bottle, but I know I'll be back.

Chypriot's avatar
    Chypriot
    New Zealand New Zealand

Ysatis by Givenchy

Reminds me of the 80s when perfumes had a bit of oomph. Not quite a sledge-hammer though, it has a softness, this semi-sweet oriental. Nice for nights out or just when you want to be noticed.

Primrose's avatar
    Primrose

Delicious Closet Queen by Etat Libre d'Orange

The use of contrasts, in scent as in art, is a means of getting attention and can be very provocative. The use of "masculine" notes with the "feminine" is not a new idea, but Delicious Closet Queen is a nice take on this them. The violet, vetiver and iris denote a men's scent, while the undernotes of rose and raspberry whisper a little gentle flirtation of the fair sex. As far as marketing goes, the intention of "closet" means subtle and hidden. When one reads the package insert, it speaks of a man in a crisp tailored suit yet there is a subtle *something* which betrays intense femininity beneath, hence Delicious Closet Queen. Imagine seeing an impeccably dressed man in a crisp business suit and having the secret knowledge that he is wearing his wife's lace thong underwear underneath! This scent is not overt in actuality, but a nice fruity floral and very gender neutral.

auee's avatar
    auee

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

I like to think that I am open minded about fragrances and I try to find positive scent attributes in all. But I cannot do so with Kouros. I am actually offended by its scent. It smells fecal to me and that simply will not do.

However, I did not put this on my body. I limited my testing to a paper strip. I could not test it for sillage or longevity, which regrettably may be very good. Maybe that was not fair. But based on the fecal odor that I smelled, there is no way I am putting this on my skin in public and I am not interested enough to buy even a small sample for private skin testing. This is the first fragrance that I refused to apply to my person for testing . I am fortunate and grateful to BN reviews for not to have bought this blind as it would be for sale immediately. My suggestion to all is to test this one for yourself and do not take the chance on a blind purchase unless you have money to burn.

auee's avatar
    auee

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

This is the second YSL scent I had the opportunity to test on the same day and so far I am not impressed with this House. L'Homme is distinct in one respect and not in a good way. It has a synthetic bitterness about it that thwarts its attempt to be fresh and clean. It smells to me like a cheap air freshener. This was a major disappointment.

YSL L'Homme had good longevity and decent sillage on me. If you enjoy the scent, it will be with you and you will be able to smell it. Next up is M7, which I intended to buy blind, but now I am intent on testing it first.

chamelion's avatar
    chamelion

Halston Z-14 by Halston

an outdated leathery chypre scent that nobody wears anymore. I smoke a pack and a half a day and getting a whiff of this stuff totally turned me in the opposite direction. its very bitter and the leather, tobacco and dry notes are overbearing and make this something a MUCH older person would wear, and i hope wear lightly because the scent is NOT a pleasant one it reminds me of english leather

chamelion's avatar
    chamelion

Cologne 41 by Abercrombie & Fitch

sky high markup and a so so unoriginal and forgettable scent

Jackisblack's avatar
    Jackisblack

Romance Always Yours by Ralph Lauren

Smells very nice, I'm thinking of getting it for my mama

3d24's avatar
    3d24

HisStory by Avon

I just LOVE fragrance n one my buddy gifted me this since his wife deals with AVON products....

I have a lot designer fragrance to choose from but still I give this guy a chance to prove himself but unfortunately didnt do for me....

In short didnt like it so far...

trapper's avatar
    trapper
    Romania Romania

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Very good fragrance, worth buying.

m.xenofonte's avatar
    m.xenofonte
    Brazil Brazil

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

Smell of fruit, especially strawberries. Great scent for the night. Women love the smell. It's in my top 10. The base notes are excellent. Fixing average (6h).

m.xenofonte's avatar
    m.xenofonte
    Brazil Brazil

Scuderia Ferrari Extreme by Ferrari

Ferrari Extreme has a great smell. I recommend for daily use. All notes are very nice. Fixing an average of 6 hours.

pete7505's avatar
    pete7505

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

The only time I can notice the funk is when the small sample I have is open, prior to application to my skin. My wife notices the same thing. When on my skin, it is simply a wonderfully exotic, soft edged, sublime musk; the details of which I lack the vocabulary to adequately describe. I am compelled to smell the applied spot over and over throughout the day. The silage is close to my skin, so I'm not too concerned about offending others who may not share my attraction. I love it nearly as much as Fumerie Turque, and will consider purchasing more than a sample if it does become available as an export, expensive though it is.

30 Roses's avatar
    30 Roses

Lilac by Demeter Fragrance Library

I will say first of all that the best lilac soliflore I have smelled is not this one, but Highland Lilac of Rochester. [Editing to add that I've changed my tune, and my favorite is now JM White Lilac & Rhubarb.] That said, I find Demeter's Lilac delightful in its own way, as well as being considerably less expensive. This is somewhat sweet without being cloying, and lightly powdery without being old-fashioned. It only lasts about 3 hours on me, but has good sillage and is thoroughly pleasant to wear. It is also the first good experience I've had with Demeter fragrances, which to me have usually seemed like inept caricatures of the scents they seek to portray. Lilac was a welcome exception. Perhaps I'll try a few more Demeters after all.

05 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 08 July, 2012)

evinick's avatar
    evinick
    Greece Greece

Daim Blond by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

A joy for the senses. A rhapsody written on one and only theme approached successfully or not by so many composers in the past . However, I believe this version is written by Mozart. The theme is leather. But not any leather. The perfumer tried to define exactly the kind of leather he wanted and I think he succeeds in that. Instead of the usual old leather note, he presents one of a soft, artfully processed and luxurious . The blending is so perfect, it is almost impossible to accurately define the alternation of the notes and while the leather is so obvious from the opening the result is not linear at all. Top notes are ethereal, you instantly believe they will fade out in seconds, but instead they develop into a more powerful and long floral heart. So pleasant, so calm, so easy to combine with every outfit, casual or formal any time of the day. Simply Great!

lovethosescents's avatar
    lovethosescents

Touch by Fred Hayman

I LOVE Touch! It has a classy elegance to it. It contains lots of floral notes, but doesn't come off as strictly floral. It starts off flowery, but quickly develops into a more complex mixture of floral and spice. This is quite an attractive fragrance, and there is none other out there like it. It stands alone, and has an intoxicating aroma that lasts all day. It's powerful, so go easy on the application. It reminds me of a spicy floral like L'Air du Temps, but much more refined, a little sweeter, and not powdery. It's similar to Norell, but at the same time different. It's hard to describe, but I think a lot of women will find this fragrance intoxicating. I did. it's definitely worth a try for the price.

Oviatt's avatar
    Oviatt

Knize Ten by Knize

This is a challenging scent. While it is an absolute classic and must be tried as a reference, it is difficult to wear. That said, I love it for its otherworldy air and ability to transport one back to another time and place. It truly is the leather (and powder) of ancient European men's clubs, redolent with well-bred excess. I do not get any citrus or green notes--just leather and powder. The initial blast of topnotes is a triffle alarming, but once it settles down, this is a great scent to wear when one wants to feel elegant and old world.

Blue Jeans by Versace

VBJ is a simple, very designer-like scent. Nothing special, no frills. The opening is citric with some lavender and eventually dries down to a sickly sweet musk and artificial leather. This is a decent fragrance on the cheap, but nothing more.

Helmut Lang Men by Helmut Lang

This is not as good as I expected it would be, but perhaps my perception of musks is skewed. I see little or no progression in this scent whatsoever. The opening is creamy and quite dirty if you will.

Lacoste (original) by Lacoste

Think of a very synthetic Monsieur de Givenchy coupled with the animalic civet of YSL pour Homme and you have Lacoste for Men. The opening is a nice citrus and herbal accord, but after that synthetic florals and civet take the helm and continue through an unpleasant drydown. Get Eau Sauvage instead.

AnthonyDG's avatar
    AnthonyDG

Bel Ami by Hermès

This review is for the vintage Bel Ami in the 'cocktail shaker' bottle.

If I could give it 6 stars I would, and it's really my pleasure to be writing what I can as a testament to this beautiful fragrance. Bel Ami is the epitome of elegance, highlighting 3 of my favorite accords (leather, sandalwood and vetiver).

When I first got a sample from a good friend of mine I fell in love almost instantly. I was able to detect those 3 beautiful notes almost right away, though this isn't to say Bel Ami isn't well-blended. There was a major surprise for me in that with its incredible longevity it morphed into this gorgeous vetiver akin to MPG Route de Vetiver (vintage) on my skin - though softer, warmer.

Longevity is superb - sillage is just about perfect with a few sprays to key areas. It has been said that Bel Ami doesn't take many risks... it doesn't need to. I think it works best for formal/semi-formal but I've worn it with a t-shirt and jeans and loved it just the same. This will be a "holy grail" fragrance for many people. I put it right next to L'Instant PH, Creed BdP and Vetiver Extraordinaire for "versatile elegance with tolerable opulence". 5/5

AnthonyDG's avatar
    AnthonyDG

Cuir d'Iris by Parfumerie Generale

I always feel at a bit of a loss when I'm writing a review that follows such creative, wonderful input from others who have a vernacular and understanding that I'm still striving to achieve. What I hope is to do this fragrance justice with this review.

PG Cuir d'Iris is the winner of the PG line from what I've tried thus far (most of them). Some had said it could be difficult to warm up to the top notes but to hang in for the dry-down. What I get in the top notes is a brisk (but not sharp) fine, fine leather - probably one of the most *accurate and comfortable* renditions of leather I've tried. This is what expensive leather smells like, most definitely. Cuir d'Iris is truly a masterpiece - it achieves such a divine, realistic leather with a perfect blend of other notes without, for a second, smelling cheap, synthetic or contrived.

Even after having a bottle for a couple of months and a sample for a month before that I'm still finding gorgeous notes in Cuir d'Iris after subsequent wearings. Could this be one of the best applications of iris in a fragrance to date? Possibly. I don't find there is much powder to it - it is smoky and it does have a gorgeous amber in the dry-down. Longevity is spectacular while sillage is comfortable and just about right.

This is an absolutely elegant, refined and classy leather fragrance that almost defies categorization as a "leather fragrance" when comparing with others out there. I'm not sure I would call this one a dark leather, like vintage Antaeus. There is no dark, earthy vetiver to anchor it and give it darkness. Instead it is a warm, sensuous amber and yes, gourmand notes. I feel ambitious and confident wearing Cuir d'Iris, and I seriously doubt I'll ever grow tired of it.

hester's avatar
    hester
    South Africa South Africa

Sun Moon Stars by Lagerfeld

Hmm. Interesting. My first impression was of utter cheapness, but I think this may have a lot to do with the similarity, in the topnotes somewhere, to a cheap body spray I used as a child. But no, once past the topnotes, this is a charmer, though still in a somewhat cheap and cheerful way. No grande perfumery here, I don't think. A bright, happy, summery fruit scent, very musky in the drydown, and chemical all the way through, but in quite a good, cooldrink-ey way! But not my favourite Grojsman by a long shot.

06 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 19 October, 2009)

hester's avatar
    hester
    South Africa South Africa

Baghari by Robert Piguet

Oh YUM. Searing, refreshing aldehyde-burst up top (non-aldehyde lovers beware, but stick it out), followed by hooooouuuuuurs of creamy dreamy fun. A soft, soft orange chypre, BUT with loads of character and conversation, not just a fluff-fest of comforting smells at ALL. Lasts for hours and hours, easily 18 or so, and leaves a charming soft musk behind for even longer. Can turn a tad sour in heat, but what doesn't (I'm in Africa).
    Icing sugar, orange blossoms, spice and musk and aldehydes.... heaven.

pasha's avatar
    pasha

My Queen by Alexander McQueen

I bought this one particularly to wear to bed. I love sleeping in flowers, and lush violets I am a huge fan of in particular. I do own NR for him, but wanted something softer and silkier to sleep in.

My Queen is a rather feminine skin-scent that is heavy in violets, sweet almonds, cedar, vanilla, and a tad iris in the end, I think. It isn't milk-y, but rather powdery. It constantly develops on the skin and finally melting into a soft vanilla-cedar base that is very comfortable, luxe and sensual. Violets and vanilla are always the usual suspects to me to make a fragrance smell cheap. In this case though, the combination of the two is just right.

Another fave for sleep-wear has been Bulgari Jasmin Noir for me: and if that one is creamy jasmins, then this one is definitely powdery violets. As one may expect, this is a strict skin scent, and it has a certain lushness that reminds you of something familiar, yet at times, also something cold and alien. I will be trying this one with some layering experiments as well. I cannot imagine any disasters with My Queen, since she is stunning from top to bottom and begging to be discovered even further.

Would work best on Helmut Newton-esque blondes, if I have to pick a single type for it.

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

Tristano by Tristano Onofri

Spicy woody green but highly synthetic. Well yes they all are but this one comes off as a very sour leathery fougere. Good longevity and a good work cologne as it's not overpowering. i've tried it a few times and I simply did not like how it wears on me.

oreo86us's avatar
    oreo86us

Intuition for Men by Estée Lauder

A few people hate this scent but i personally love it. This fragrance has gotten more compliments than any others that I have worn. I wear it because I love the way it smells and it apparently smells good on me, according to others. Try it on the skin first before a purchase. Scent is a light oriental spicy scent. This is one of my top 3.

06 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 25 October, 2009)