Fragrance Reviews from October 2009

Bigsly's avatar

Sienne L'Hiver by Eau d'Italie

The olive type note overwhelmed everything else and I had to scrub this one off. I could sense some other notes trying to struggle out, but it never happened. I can't imagine why this was created this way, unless they didn't test on all skin types. In any case, this is obviously a sample first fragrance. I can't speak to longevity or sillage because I had to get it off quickly, within the hour.

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Night Scented Stock by Penhaligon's

Firstly this smells very british , typical Penhaligon's - light and fresh ,much like the lightness ( not as in depth and longevity but sparkling freshness -as Chandler Burr has mentioned before ) of the Jo Malone's.
    I am first hit by the lily, some violet ,jasmine . I feel there is little spice in here at all or I am missing it all together even though they are the head notes. I can smell the heliotrope ...It's well blended and just fresh ,quite exquisite. Not much in the way of patchouli or sandalwood on my skin .
    The drydown is quite subtle and somewhat soapy.I would say this is firstly a ladies' floral - subtle and refined but a man could pull it off too .
    Great for Ascot Ladies' Day or something like that ......

Photo by Lagerfeld

I want to like Photo because it's Lagerfeld, but I just can't stand it. There is a big loud note that overwhelms the nose like pungent and sour grape juice. It might make an interesting car or bathroom spray, and its longevity is good. Lagerfeld Classic, KL Homme, and Jako are in a league far superior to this one.

RSVP by Kenneth Cole

I almost didn't buy this, but as I was walking to my car in the cool night air, I got a whiff of a very ingratiating and mellow scent. I went back and purchased it, and I'm glad I did. The aroma is very warm, sweet, creamy, yet bright. It has a wistful dry down. Along with Reaction, my favorite Kenneth Cole.

DKNY Men (New) by Donna Karan

I went to Macy's, spritzed it on, sniffed, yawned and gagged a little, put the bottle down, went shopping and forgot about it. Why bother, Ms. Karan? DKNY original was good enough.

Guess by Marciano for Men by Guess

A vortex of seductive, salient and contradictory amber, wood and spicily bourbon notes. It seems as if it might have an intriguing dry down, I've yet to wear it for a long period. It reminds me of Michael Kors in a way, being perhaps a sweet-tempered cousin. This creation insinuates itself into a refined or formal occasion.

Apicius's avatar

Germany Germany

Essenza Del Tempo by Trussardi

Although not listed above, I remember hibiscus mentioned as ingredient in some Trussardi brochure about this perfume. The smell is not simply citrusy, but something similar. It reminds me of taste and smell of a cup of red hibiscus and mallow tea - very nice. I'd rather find it relaxing than refreshing or energizing. And it is something simple.

I do not smell some of the ingredients listed above, especially not any expressive components such as coffee or iris.

The perfume is unisex and very discreet, it could do as an office scent or any situation when one would not like to stand out for wearing an expressive scent.

Obsession by Calvin Klein

This is a very thick and oriental fragrance. I feel like I was at a temple and standing next to my grandmom whenever I take a sniff of this.
    Can never wear it though, it's too old for me, but do admire it.

Tocade by Rochas

I find this fragrance smell a lot like Cabotine.
    It's very rich and sweet, the sweetness of candied pedals. But anyway, can not wear it, I'd smell like a mid-age woman if I do.

À la Nuit by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This is the 1st fragrance that I can smell real jasmine in it. Jasmine is my favorite and what I'd imagined before I actually took a sniff was a beautiful summery jasmine that I smell in my small "garden" on the balcony. But sadly, À la Nuit is not as summery as I expected.
    It is all about jasmine for sure, but like jasmine still on the branch with green buds, and then comes along musk. The dry down smells so alike Fleurs de Citronniers, except it's jasmine in stead of lemon blossom.
    To be honest, the juice smells like the ink of penpoint pen I used in childhood and this is not ok...haha. I'm not satisfied with it.

Arabie by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I can not stand the tope notes, it smells like a mess of spices. But when it dries down, it reveals a really nice and warm layer of scent, like a fruit cake as someone said above. Yet I prefer Douce Amere, since Arabie is suitable for cold weather but still not warm enough for me.
    Admire the scent from distance, maybe.

Nuit de Cellophane by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I bought this bottle today.
    I've been looking for a decent fragrance that smells Osmanthus (which I can smell straight from my garden but can never get enough of its goddess sweetness) and Nuit de Cellophane is what I want. It smells exactly what I get from the tiny blossom blooming in March.
    At first I only had a tiny dap on my wrist and it smelled so lovely and light, and I thought "This is gonna be my very 1st summer Serge Lutens fragrance" (so far I've owned Douce Amere, Daim Blond, A la Nuit, Fleurs de Citronners and none of these I feel ok to pull off a summer day), so I immediately purchased a bottle.
    I got home and take a proper spritz and it turned out not "light" at all (since I thought it must have lotus in it), still sweet and lovely, but absolutely not light. Yes it's a little soapy, like floral-fruity soapy, not clean soapy.
    But what disappoints me is that it lasts, like, an hour on me. I totally can not suspect any trace of it on my skin after an hour, which is not equal to the price I payed for.

Laura Donna's avatar

Aqua Allegoria Orange Magnifica by Guerlain

Like it! Surprisingly naughty and animalic on me. Not expecting that from citrus...civtress?

Elias Saif's avatar

Bangladesh Bangladesh

Scuderia Ferrari Black by Ferrari

I wanted to buy a perfume which will bring me comments... I was impressed by this one when I sprayed it on me from the tester. I bought it immediately. Then realized that it doesn't stay long. Only gives a better impression first one hour.

Annabelle's avatar

Infusion d'Iris by Prada

No, this doesn't work on me. At first, I get a beautiful soft powdery floral but the dry down just turned sour. I wore this perfume out to an event and later in the evening, I wondered what the awful smell was and it was unfortunately coming from my arm! After much testing and trying, I found a perfect perfume with the beautiful floral notes in Infusion d'Iris but without the rancid dry down - Chanel Beige...

Cors's avatar

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I first tried this before I knew about fragrance reviews and its popularity. I had no idea what the name meant but I remember being instantly trasported to an exotic desert camp. It was unlike anything I have tried before - incredibly smooth blend of honey, spices, tea, hay, tobacco, incense, smoke, leather and even something animalic... it blew me away, more so when the SA explained that Chergui is actually named after the Moroccan wind.

Sillage is moderate and longevity is excellent. It remained interesting and detectable even hours after the first application, and I did not find it cloying at all even though it is intoxicatingly sweet.

Chergui is not just a magnificent perfume, but an amazing experience. It brings me such joy and pleasure when I wear it, and I will always remember it fondly as the one that got me hooked on Lutens and then, niche perfumes and communities.

Cors's avatar

Rose de Nuit by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

A carnivorous black rose. For the first minute all I got was nauseating, overpowering soap and the smell of something rotten, even when lightly dabbed on. Well-worn, sweat-stained leather emerges soon after and I cannot stop sniffing my wrists as the rose continues to decay.
    A tricky fragrance to wear outside for sure. A few people simply can't stand the smell, while others especially older gentlemen seem to enjoy it too much...

06 October, 2009 (Last Edited: 28 March, 2010)

tejusready's avatar

India India

Chrome by Azzaro

This was one of my first fragrances i bought and even before i bought this fragrance i had a deja vu expereience with this, though consciously i knew this was the first time im seeing the bottle and smelling the fragrance, subconsciously ive smelt or seen the bottle before anyways now coming to the scent ,the first time i wore this at home my granny was like wow what a pleasent smell and instantly i knew this was a great fragrance coz she's got great taste and a sharp nose and more over her husband had a great collection of scents which she was used to smelling.Now coming to how the scent smells,its got this fresh citrus fruity opening with little or no transformations throught out the notes it remains fresh throughtout,its quite long lasting i would say and is best for the daytime esp summertime.I dont see it as a very mature scent thougha 20's 30's guy could carry this off.Now coming to the best part the price its a totally value for money scent and its much less expensive than most of the designer scents but of the same quality if not more.Girls will love it and most importantly you coz that's what matters the Most'

TedF1's avatar

Armani Eau Pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

The BEST!!

I've continuously used this since the mid 80's. Of all of the others I have occasionally used, NONE gets more compliments from both guys and girls. It's decidedly masculine! It's clean without smelling soapy. Slightly citrus, but with an earthy, tea tree foundation.

Seems the trend for most men's colognes from the late eighties into the nineties was to be overly "fruity."
    Currently the trend is "candy." (When I went to Macy's for my last bottle of Armani eau pour homme, the sales girl let me sample something else. I told her I'd rather eat that than wear it! Don't know what it was. Don't care. Most of todays scents are simply to "perfumy" and feminine. Hope they never discontinue this iconic scent. I am glad it never really got mainstream like Polo, hugo, Ck and all of that.

Kingdom by Alexander McQueen

I love this perfume! And yes, it does smell of sex in a way. In the way of an earthy, long afternoon romp with a long term lover, not in a cheap drunken fumble with a one-night stand. It has a warm, animal smell. If you find the idea of that to be uncomfortable, this perfume isn't for you.

That being said, it's civilised enough for me to wear to work, though applied with a very light touch. For all the chat about sensual perfume, I find "sensual" means the warmth of ambergris, or something slightly gourmand. The cumin in this perfume smells earthy and spicy and warm. For someone like me, whose skin develops any sweetness in a scent to occasionally cloying levels, a perfume like Kingdom is a godsend. It's warm without making me smell like gingerbread, strong without being overwhelming. I find that I reach for Kingdom when I've been spending a lot of time in suits, after I've had a long stretch of meetings or audits or situations that require me to wear something pretty but a bit sexless. The spicy, sensual, warm animalness of the scent reminds me I'm a woman under that suit, that I'm an animal as well as a brain.

I wear this year round, again with a light touch, but I prefer it in autumn or winter.

L'Eau du Bonheur by Fragonard

For many perfumers, citrus = clean. My skin tends to emphasise any element of sweetness or fruit, which means that many perfumes with citrus notes develop into on my skin into a smell like a sack of overripe fruit left in a hot car. L'Eau de Bonheur is one of the very few "clean" scents that I can wear without the fruit going too far. The citrus is balanced with mint as well as cedar than citrus, though this comes through more in the middle notes. It's clean and crisp without being overly cold. Putting it on is like that first breath of cold air when you step outside on a winter's morning, but dries down into a nice hot cup of delicious herbals and slight florals, like a warming tisane. I save this scent for hot, muggy days, or on audit or observation days. (days I'll need to be physically close to another person in a close space with often limited air flow) It never fails to get compliments.

Side note: I originally bought this for my husband, and the cedar/mint/herbs were a bit too much for him. He's a sandalwood/musk/spice sort of guy. He likes the scent, but now he can't get it away from me!

Mûre et Musc by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Did they reformulate this? A friend's aunt used to wear this back in the 80's... the "jam" smell seemed to be more balanced with the white musk back then, and the scent seemed... deeper? Richer? Maybe it's my memory playing tricks on me, but the last time I smelled Mure et Musc at the L'artisan shop, it smelled more like overripe fruit than jam. It made me think of a perfumey version of Lip Smackers lip gloss (my 70's roots are showing!)

If you're looking for a clean fruit/warm combo in a scent with a bit of sophistication, give Jo Malone's Pomegranate Noir a go, and give this one a miss.

Mon Coeur by Fragonard

I really love this perfume. It's one of the most balanced white florals I've encountered in a while, without being overblown. Given the ingredients (tuberose, jasmin, orange blossoms, etc) it could be overpowering. Instead, no one flower overwhelms the other... each has its slight turn at the forefront, like an ensemble of dancers. It smells like putting your face in a bouquet of fresh flowers from the farmers market. Clean, floral, rounded, fresh, delicious and feminine. I agree with lefay's assessment that it is like a less operatic version of Fracas.

Pomegranate Noir by Jo Malone

The only fruity fragrance I can wear without smelling like a farmer's market stall gone wrong. Aside from the quality of any Jo Malone fragrance, it has to be the combination of the peppers and pomegranate with the other spicy elements. It manages to smell sweet, clean, earthy, spicy, warm and just... delicious... without smelling over the top gourmand. Lovely!

Insolence Eau de Toilette by Guerlain

I think I know why they called this Insolence. Aside from the fruit meets flowers sort of appeal to the youth market, this perfume behaves like an insolent young adult. Not a rebellious teen, but a flippant college student working in retail over the summer holidays... maybe a little annoyed that she has to work at the crap job instead of backpacking around Europe or Thailand... she has to be polite and presentable enough to work, but it doesn't mean she can resist a dig or two. This isn't a perfume with ear lobe stretching rings and spiky hair. It isn't strong or opinionated or vibrant or unique enough to stand out from the crowd around it on its own merits, and you can't really admire or loathe it.

Instead, it's a middling, pleasant scent with balanced florals... that like that flippant college student, occasionally snaps out with something a bit unwelcome or strange. You put the perfume on... and find that after the inital dry down, it actually intensifies to the point that you want to open a window and apologise to anyone in the room with you, in case it's too strong? Or that the florals then develop into something that's again, pleasant, but has a slightly unpleasant metallic undertone? Or that the raspberry can come on like overripe fruit at times? It behaves one way (pleasant floral) most of the time, but it has these... behaviour issues.

My husband gave me a bottle of this for Christmas 2005, and will occasionally pout that I don't wear the perfume he bought me. When I relent and wear this, he tells me that he hates it (particularly the fruit and the metallic undertone). I've had to apologise to coworkers and my driving instructor when I've worn this perfume to give it another chance. Not because it stinks, but because it's just too much at times. It's the only perfume I own that gets this response! Even so, I'm neutral about it. My skin emphasises fruit in any perfume, so that's a given. The metallic notes are a mystery. But overall, it's pleasant, but occasionally problematic.

Kohdo Wood Collection: Dark Amber & Ginger Lily by Jo Malone

I agree with terrypitts and an_oud_girl - it's like finding flowers in a slightly autumnal forest. Terrific winter scent! I think it might be a tad too floral to be truly unisex. It's still on sale at Jo Malone shops in the UK, last time I checked.

hananouta's avatar

Murasaki by Shiseido

I had the original Murasaki fragrance and loved it. Are the "notes" given here for the 'original' scent or the new version? I hear that there were over 120 different ingredients. Am looking to market my own line and would like a scent similar to this. I am hesitant to buy this new version as I have heard it is very "rosy" and that's not how I remember the original.

Unbound for Men by Halston

I do get the ADG similarities (aren't most of the aquatic frags compared to ADG anyways?) and the tomato leaves give it a interesting twist. It has the advantage of being a real cheapy but may seem not to last very long as it will get closer to the skin on the drydown (without being a skinhugger) and that, no matter how much you apply. I've found good use for it as a layering frag.

360 Degrees Red for Men by Perry Ellis

One of the Perry Ellis copycat fragrances. This is a great alternative to ADG but smells a little more peppery. Can be found at a decent price online. I only get compliments when I layer this with Halston Unbound so I'll give it a neutral since it doesn't seem to shine on its own.

Nicole Miller for Men by Nicole Miller

It opens up with with the scent of apples alright but the bourbon takes over very quickly, making the leather notes hard to perceive and it dominates until you shower the next morning. It's boozy but unlike Michael Kors, I don't find this interesting at all.