Fragrance Reviews from November 2009

Mimosa by Czech & Speake

The florals themselves do not come through very clearly for me; so, instead of a dominant flowery tuberose and jasmine, I am left with a rather strong indole note. It smells dirty – it even crosses over the thin line between floral and fecal. Usually the presence of a fecal note is not a negative with me, but the problem here is that it doesn’t come and go as a fecal note usually does in a fragrance… it stays as a continuing note and it gets overmuch. Judging from the other reviews, I’m not the only one who reacts negatively to Mimosa, but I’m not quite as turned off by it as some of the others seem to be. My greater criticism of with Mimosa is that I find it quite characterless. It is well made; it performs competently and lasts long enough, but its only real uniqueness or point of interest is a droning, shallow, near off-putting fecal note.

Vetyver / Vétiver by Givenchy

Very nice… The strong bergamot opening already has elements of coriander and vetiver in the background… together they come across as a somewhat unique aromatic introduction. I’m more ambivalent than anyway else about it. I think its oft-mentioned licorice tinge rather reduces my pleasure in this version of vetiver. Yet, in spite of my minor annoyance with the opening, I find it impossible to dislike the accord. Givenchy Vetiver is well put together and presents such a skilled professional performance, I find myself respecting it even though I don’t thoroughly enjoy it, so I'm voting a non-enthusiastic thumbs up... Low key, unexciting, and completely respectable... it’s an excellent scent for someone who is not me.

Osmanthus by Ormonde Jayne

The osmanthus is a remarkable flower. It is about a one-centimeter wide trumpet shaped white flower that grows on the dark green (usually trimmed) bushes -- often trimmed to become hedges. These hedges are planted abundantly in the parks, around the temples, and other planted areas in East Asian cities and countryside. The flowers are tiny but their scent output is huge. It’s near unbelievable how these tiny flowers can produce such massive scent. When the hedges are in full bloom, the wonderful odors permeate entire neighborhoods of the cities.

I was so looking forward to smelling osmanthus again since it’s been months since I was there walking among the hedges. I guess I have to keep waiting, because there’s not very much osmanthus in this Osmanthus; in fact, if I hadn’t seen the name, I never would have suspected it being here. This Osmanthus is a very nice, very safe woody / floral with some nice safe fruity notes to support the florals. The quality of materials used is excellent. The fragrance is nicely composed, but it lacks identity. It provides ambiance without direction. Its background aura reminds me more of other Ormande Jayne fragrances than it does of the wonderful aromas of osmanthus.

Davidoff Adventure by Davidoff

I’ve nothing new to report. I’m in agreement with the majority of the reviews: Davidoff Adventure is generic, but pleasant; it is much too weak; it boasts poor sillage and incredibly poor longevity. I agree with Rcav that it is similar to the older Burberry London, but this one doesn’t bother me at all and the original BL does. Mate, pepper, a somewhat metallic vetiver, and white musk all watered down – that’s about it…

Not much of an adventure, is it?

Le Temps d'Une Fête by Nicolaï

The first notes that I smell from Le Temps D’Une Fête are a strongly animalic green, and those notes hold for quite a long time – they are rich, unique, and viscerally rewarding. When the animalic notes finally subside, the heart notes provide a luscious green note – galbanum – coupled with the light, delicate notes of the spring flowers. It is such a creatively unusual progression and destination, and it is a typical genius performance of a Patricia de Nicolaï fragrance… The gentle lightness of the spring bulbs is a brilliant counterpoint to the rich, full, and earthy green accord, and both stand in comparative balance following the dense animalic overtones of the opening. Le Temps D’Une Fête has good sillage in the beginning that softens to a skin scent by the time the base is accomplished. It manages finesse and sensuality at once and has good longevity… a totally excellent fragrance.

Pappy's avatar

Fiji Fiji

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

Best sport fragrance out their IMO. All the youth of a CK scent with Chanel quality. Girls really like this and it may not reinvent the market, it stills an extremely solid fragrance. One of my favorites.

Papyrus's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Amarige by Givenchy

Amarige is my mother's favourite perfume, and for a while it used to be my sister's favourite too. I had always disliked it. To me it smells overwhelmingly salty.
    I'm not giving it a negative rating because I don't think it's bad; I know how many people like it, and I'm sure that finding it "salty" is my individual reaction, a reaction that doesn't even make any sense, because salt doesn't actually have a smell. Still, every time I sniff my mum's Amarige bottle I think of salt.

Eliza's avatar

Tabac Blond by Caron

I think I love it almost as much as L'Origin. I love the current one , but the vintage one is much better because I detect a motor oil scent in there that Iove. Is it castro something? That animal scent? I don't know. The "motor oil" smell is so rich and beautiful that I could just inhale this for a full hour.

01st November, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th January, 2010)

Safari by Ralph Lauren

Graceful, unapologetic luxury. It is clean, sweet and strong. There are hints of sensuality, slight soapiness, some fruit, lots of florals. Elegant without recourse, this I would recommend for a day time classy event. maybe something a mother would wear to college graduation, or perhaps an outside wedding in the middle of summer. Something for the confident, accomplished woman, with no pretenses. Every mother should have this.

Halston 1-12 by Halston

This is a beautiful fragrance, a green sweet without being sharp at any point. It is one of the few shower fresh greens out there (most shower fresh scents are 'blue'). I see a connection to Cacharel's signature PH and ever so slightly Armani's first, also PH. 1-12 to my nose is very rounded, alomst like there is no alcohol in it. The seetness is not cloying at all, and it is kinda addictive. It is worth the purchase especially since it is quite inexpensive. The juice is worth waaaaaay more than the price IMO. A great, anytime-something-totally-different-from-most-anyone-else frag. Buy it if you like old school (70s) and green.

Halston Z-14 by Halston

Long lasting spicy dark citrus with a leather-like thing going on. The positives: it is a well blended juice, recalls some of the 70s powerhouse, so, I will call it a powerhouse. And at giveaway prices, what's not to like? Well...the negatives: strong and harsh in the opening, but it does wellow out fairly quickly. It doesn't try to be modern which limits when you can actually wear it, compared to Halston's same launch year 1-12, which borders on timeless. Still a worthy juice for the money, an excellent substitute for soem of the no longer available or selling for an arm and a leg old timers (Monogram, Polo Crest and much more).

derekp's avatar

Blu Mediterraneo Capri Orange / Arancia Di Capri by Acqua di Parma

Wonderful light citrus, but fades away before any hint of the listed base notes come forward on my skin. A shame, because it's great while it lasts.

SirSlarty's avatar

Indentite pour Homme by René Lezard

This transcends between too sweet, too woodsy or too soapy. I happen to like all three of those aspects. Not one of them dominates the whole time. It starts off very sweet. Then gets woody, like a rich cedarwood and the drydown develops this oakmossy soapy clean feeling with the woods still being there. It's strong overall but dries into a nice aural fragrance. Didn't seem to last too long for me but I think it's because of olfactory fatigue since there's a lot of scent to go around. Great gourmand woodsy scent.

SirSlarty's avatar

Armani Privé Ambre Soie by Giorgio Armani

Herbal amber. Clove and cinnamon really comes out at first and gets to be ginger cedarwoods towards the end. The amber is just the stuff that binds all this together. Gourmandish and almost like a cinnamon and praline confectionery with cloves added.

Mimi Gardenia's avatar

Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia by Estée Lauder

When I first tried this scent, I was immediately taken by the deliciousness of the scent in total - I did not know tuberose and gardenia would become the two notes that I love completely .
    I left this scent for a while, trying out more gardenias and tuberose fragrances.
    I have come full circle back to this perfume .
    I can completely appreciate this perfume for it's fresh simplicity - like a classic shift dress . The perfume is a paradox of light,fresh,tinkly gardenias and the deep indolic nature of white florals. Although this is 'light' in character, it is a long lasting perfume.
    I think I have found my number one gardenia scent.
    This will be a modern classic .
    Creamy white south sea pearls are the gem equivalent to this beautiful fragrance !

epicurean's avatar

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

This smells fresh. Well, fresh enough to clean my bathroom with. Fact is, the tile cleaner I buy here in Germany called "Antikal" smells exactly, exactly like Infusion d'Homme. Not a good sign (for Prada anyway). Major thumbs-down. Fortunately, this has become nowhere near as ubiquitous in Europe as, say, Le Mâle has, which is still absolutely unavoidable in every office, locker room and bar.

epicurean's avatar

Jubilation XXV by Amouage

One of the best wearable variations on the warm-and-spicy "Arabian Nights" theme I've ever come across. Wonderfully bright up top, with a luxuriously masculine drydown not long afterwards. Considering the price tag, the drydown itself could be longer-lasting, but still worth every scent. A true masterpiece.

01st November, 2009 (Last Edited: 14th March, 2010)

flouris's avatar

Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This is one of the finest tobacco notes I've ever come across - powder-ish sweet/dry smoke.. almost the feel of being surrounded by a circle of smoke machines all going full blast. Very mysterious and nocturnal feeling without coming off as alarming. Unisex with ever so slightly below average sillage/duration compared to other Lutens fragrances. I find it incredibly impressive.

flouris's avatar

Chêne by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

chromatone wrote in an earlier review of Chêne: "sun-baked car seat cushion and dry-rotted dashboard vinyl, with a healthy side serving of faded "pine tree" car freshener, rust, and antifreeze. Essentially it shared many tonal qualities with the interior of an older, unclean automobile left in the sun."

Upon reading this, I let out an "ohhhhhhhh yeah!"

Despite me being a shameless Lutens fanatic, I could never get into Chêne. It reminded me of -something- but I couldn't pinpoint what it was until I read the above excerpt because that is absolutely and precisely what Chêne smells like: a disgusting car that has been parked in the sunlight all day with the windows up. It is a nauseating smell. Sunbaked car seat cushion, that's all Chêne manages to evoke for me.

Bo Darville's avatar

Love and Luck for Men by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

Well, it's a light and fresh fragrance like SMW, but that's where the comparison ends. Actually, I think it bears much more resemblance to GIT than SMW.

To me, SMW is all about black currant, tea, and ink. Even though I grow quickly tired of it during most wearings, there's something funky, unsettling, and "off" about it that makes me keep trying it. On the other hand, Love and Luck is a fairly straightforward citrus verbena-type scent with violet. It really is the epitome of the "aquatic Cool Water style scent" that so many people claim to hate these days.

Were I in the mood for something like this, I'd probably reach for GIT. This is just a little too generic and safe to get excited about one way or the other.

Dani California's avatar

Sheer Stella (2006 version) by Stella McCartney

I think this is the one I have, but I think the picture here is wrong. The bottle is actually a clear pink with purpley flowers on it, and the cap is purple as well.

MJW77's avatar

Envy for Men by Gucci

I first tried Gucci Envy alongside Prada Amber and Prada won the battle easily. However, I decided to give Gucci Envy another go on it's own some time later. I now really appreciate this scent and have added it to my collection. It has also usurped Prada in my fragrance hierarchy. I now really appreciate the ginger note in the opening and also love the drydown. After applying some in the morning later in the day I was getting some lovely wafts of something really pleasant (I couldn't detect exactly what note) but it took me some time to realise that it emanating from me. I have also received many compliments wearing Gucci Envy. I think this fragrance is extremely versatile and can be worn in all seasons and for most occasions. In fact, any occasion where you just want to smell really good!

MJW77's avatar

Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa by Acqua di Parma

I tried Colonia Intensa a few times on tester strips and was blown away by how good it smelt! I tested on my skin too and then decided to splash out on some. As much as I really like this fragrance, with it's bright citrus opening and masculine leathery drydown, my only disappointment is with longevity - but I suppose it is a cologne. I dowse myself in this stuff to try to combat the longevity issue, which seems to work, although whenever I tried this on the tester strip the fantastic smell seemed to last forever. This still gets a thumbs up because it smells so sophisticated and masculine, I suppose I just wish it was a bit stronger, particularly for the price.

PhilESkyline's avatar

Power by 50 Cent

This is my first review and I'm sad to say it's not a good one. I remember hearing about this cologne and the special deal that was done with Macy's. I didn't think it was out yet but to my surprise, or horror, it was in stock. My first thoughts, and I said this out loud to the sales associate, "it smells like Irish Spring soap on steroids." It gave me a headache after two whiffs. I would not recommend this to anyone and would not wear it even if it was a gift.

The one good thing I can say is that the scent matches the name. Too much "Power" can be a bad thing...

1000 by Jean Patou

Not your typical sweet and heady bouquet so don't get disappointed if you smell something green and somewhat sourish with a little skanky note off the top. I can't help but think of Guerlain's Mitsouko and apparently I wasn't the only one who thought so. Patou's 'MILLE' does seem to share Mitsouko's mysterious aura though not quite the latter's sophistication. As the scent wears on it gets noticeably brighter, the flowers blooming - rose, violet. jasmine, geranium, chinese osmanthus, lily-of-the-valley and iris - without any individual note gaining prominence. But interestingly that aspect unravels over time as each floral note expires at differing rates.

Overall, I find this floral chypre creation from Jean Kerleo to be enchantingly original but has a very mature feel to it; certainly not an easy fragrance to wear especially for the younger set. A strong personality might be a non-negotiable prerequisite, otherwise the scent will wear you instead.

*** This review is of the EDT ***

Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I get a strong leather accord in the opening, even before all the smoke. I was told Sheldrake draws inspiration from the places he frequents including a particular Moroccan marketplace; here I can thus picture myself at a stall which sells leather goods. Bitter sweet smoke arrives next as I walk pass a group of men sharing a hookah between them. Then little notes of rose and some unidentified fruits waft in and out of the dense tobacco smoke before honey and amber make their presence felt albeit lightly. Indeed, there are countless stalls in such a large marketplace.

Unlike By Kilian's Back To Black's vivid tobacco drydown, FUMERIE TURQUE leans closer to the masculine only for the first hour or two before it softens to a sweetish, dried fruit accord. It is also more evocative and multi-layered compared to Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille. Yet I don't find it particularly compelling to wear nor do I want any woman smelling like they just came from a street market. Maybe I'm just not romanced by the whole 'marketplace-inspired' concept. But the one thing that kills off any chance of a positive rating from me has to be its poor longevity - 3 hours for a Lutens is simply unacceptable.

Pure Poison by Christian Dior

The jasmine on display here is light but glorious, unplucked and invigoratingly fresh like a heavenly scent gently wafting from the garden in the evenings. I find the middle florals taking on more of a supporting role to provide a bright clean palette to showcase the jasmine before a soft, clean amber and sandalwood base completes what is turning out to be a beautiful picture. Kudos to Carlos Banaim, Dominique Ropion and Olivier Polge for PURE POISON has class and sophistication in spades, even if it lacks the sensual sultry appeal of the original Poison.

Paul Smith Man by Paul Smith

One spritz and it's already spice overload for me which effectively ruins the incense and iris part. Seems to me PAUL SMITH MAN was rushing to get on the incense bandwagon for its composition comes across as clumsy and poorly balanced, like it was hastily put together. Or perhaps I'm just a little sensitive to strong spices since this isn't the first time a spice accord does a hatchet job on a scent under review.

NillaGoon's avatar

Jungle pour Homme by Kenzo

Wow, descriptions are all over the map. It's weak! It's overpowering! It's inoffensive! It's sick-making and causes three different physical symptoms! It smells like citrus, or tea, or sandalwood, or nutmeg, or cedar, or genitalia.

Personally I'm going to go with "inoffensive." The opening blast of citrus and tea is shaded with tropical fruit. It's delicious but only lasts a minute or two. It quickly ramps down close to the skin, and I found the fragrance relatively dilute. I had to apply about half a ml just to be able to perceive it longer than 15 minutes. Given that several people have warned against overapplication on this one, I wonder if there's a component or two that I can't smell.

The body is sweetish, powdery, woody, with a twist of residual citrus. Linear. It's halfway between spicy/woody and gourmand and altogether pleasant, if a bit reserved and nondescript. Just a kiss of sillage - it's hard to imagine this scent arousing the interest of the Fragrance Police. What's not to like?

I don't find it an odd scent. I don't perceive the nutmeg or animalic elements that some have mentioned. Most of all, I'm puzzled by the strong reactions in both directions.

ANK212's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

GIT is coolwater's dad that has the same opening notes but tells the story a little differently by showing maturity and finesse.Yes i admit very similar to coolwater, then why spend all that money, well that depends entirely up to you. i have both in my arsenal however,GIT is for preserving that special memory. Moreover, GIT smells like you have traveled the world dodged secret agents and have led a James Bond existence whereas, cool water reminds me of Get Smart.

As mentioned above the opening notes are similar to coolwater, but after the drydown GIT transforms into something fresh and unique, women have always loved it and this thing lasts forever. GIT will always be by my side when i feel that 007 rush..