Fragrance Reviews from December 2009

Alain27's avatar

Romania Romania

The Dreamer by Versace

Believe me or not but after 26 hrs I can still smell this thing on my wrist and it can be smelled by people around you after 8-10 hours from the first apply. To me it smells like iris+milk+vanilla+light tobacco. I have to say that it's not the best thing I ever smelled , but it's unique , special and yeah , it's nice . I think it can be worn casually or to semi-formal occasions and I also think that it is aimed at younger crowds , like 16-30 y.o. . You should definitely buy this , you won't regret .
    Longevity - 4.5 out of 5
    Sillage - 4 out of 5
    Smell - 4 out of 5

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

If you came from the future and had to try and replicate the smell of Caron's Pour Un Homme using only synthetic space age materials and were then told "oh yeah, and can you make it really strong?" the outcome would probably be this.

It is synthetic smelling and it is very strong. And very sweet. But I quite like it in a futuristic barbershoppy kind of way. Ultimately it's too loud for me to wear personally, but that doesn't mean it's not good. All I get is a pretty linear mint - powdered lavender - vanilla trajectory but it's longevity is applaudable. And the silage can only be described as "epic."
    Possibly in the minority, but I like the bottle design and the atomiser is fantastic.

If you have a sweet tooth and a big personailty, give it a go.

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

When is an aquatic not an aquatic? When it smells like Polo Blue.
    Slightly dated, oddly sombre cucumber and suede with rubbing alcohol. The mossy base is a really nice touch and quite unexpected considering the rest of the fragrance. I find this lends it a dependable and mature edge, unlike some other "fresh" frags which seem almost throwaway in nature. This is a serious scent for serious people, but because it's quite joyless, I can see why it's not especially popular anymore. I mean, it smells as if it could have come from 1976 rather than the early Noughties - why smell of maudlin leather and cucumber when you can smell of pineapple and calone? Being a young grumpy old fart, I dig that.

Longevity is very good at around 14 hours and the silage is close to the skin rather than scream in your face, which I think is nice for a frag like this. I like the bottle, and the atomiser, like all the Polo frags except Explorer, is very good.
    Oddball, but ace. If it's the kind of thing that's important to you - women seem to really like this.

Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta by Acqua di Parma

Let it be said straight away - I like traditional EDC's. I really, really like fougere's. I understand exactly why some people don't like Assoluta and I get their points - it's quite a strange frag because it is essentially the original Colonia mixed with a bit of light and musky woods and an uber, uber high quality original Brut aftershave. I have tried to find more in it, but overanalysing it started to lessen my enjoyment of it.

Incredibly wearable - it radiates nicely, with a good but not overbearing soapy silage. Longevity is quite good for a cologne at around 6 hours on me. Beautiful packaging and bottle and a perfectly designed and functioning atomiser.

This is probably the "prettiest" fragrance in my deliberately small wardrobe and it's one that I will reserve for special events rather than an every-day scent, despite it's affability. If you want something light and dignified, something that'll make you stand up straight in your suit, this is it. Class in a lovely round bottle.

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

Very sweet and almost unwearably strong. For some reason the word "caustic" pops into my head every time I smell this. I keep revisitng it because I love Paco PH so much, but every time I do, it's like getting a kick in the nuts. I'm not even going to talk about the notes. I believe there aren't any apart from a gigantic candied lemon and some kind of berry and a strange kind of syrupy cinnamon. The rest just becomes a "smell" of unidentifiable origin.

Longevity - too long. Silage - too much. Bottle - truly awful. Atomiser - decent, but I wished it didn't work.

Not for me.

Hugo Element by Hugo Boss

Calone in excelsis. Very synthetic, very cheap faux-watery mess. If a pool smelled like this, I wouldn't go swimming in it.

Despite it's volume (this is so loud, it's practically audible from the nozzle), the longevity is pretty poor at 4 hours. Bottle is nice, but the atomiser is pretty crude. Silage is all encompassing while it lasts.

For what it is, I find it hideously overpriced.

Hartman Design's avatar

1881 by Cerruti

Vaguely remini-scent of Aramis, but with a much more robust, fruity, herbal top note. Like Aramis, this has a dark, animalic lurking in the background that gives 1881 it's masculine traction. It's a nice scent, but dated, and never quite scales the final pitch of the powerhouse mountaintop it aspires to; Aramis without the minerals to make it to the top.

Wish there were rating choices between neutral and thumbs up -- on my skin and to my nose, 1881 deserves better than a neutral, but less than a fully positive endorsement.

12 December, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th January, 2010)

Mar Azul's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

Yes. This is the smell of After Eight Thin Mints *before* you bite the chocolate and let the mint filling out. It's there, but just for the right balance. The most nocturnal mint/grapefruit scent and the most green gourmand scent. Wood undertones make it solid and somehow mysterious. Smells like a fantasy forest, a lot of shadows, sun rays shining through green leaves. First I was mislead by the opening: too much chocolate/coffee there. Soon it turned into something I really like. Nice aura.

À la Nuit by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I have low tolerance for indoles and I find Lutens' soliforeal rendition of the jasmine flower a tad too indolic to enjoy as a wearable skin scent. Others may disagree but in my books, À LA NUIT falls a couple of rungs short of the enchantment real jasmine weaves in the fabric of the evening.

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

A fresh nose is a wonderful thing as I discovered recently. When I let my fiancee take her first whiff of AMBRE SULTAN's top notes, she calmly remarked, "Smells like a hospital ward." To which I responded with a laugh, "Really? Wow! Which hospital is this? I'd love to visit."

The somewhat medicinal herbal opening to this bestseller may not be to everyone's liking but I find myself sorely missing its quirky presence after 15 minutes when AMBRE SULTAN has settled down to a sweet and spicy amber scent. Yes, I like this 1993 Lutens well enough but I'm not too crazy about it; at the stroke of the hour, I find myself wishing for greater prominence to the hovering incense accord, and for the the amber to be less sweet, drier and more resinuous. And for the love of God, bring back those herbal notes!

Rousse by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Either my nose is broken or the SA puts a different juice in my official sample from Lutens, for I find myself swimming against the tide of public opinion here. Apart from some dry cinnamon which is nowhere near gourmand, I get a rather prominent lipstick accord albeit one with a tinge of wood spice rounded off by mandarin and a touch of powdery violet. Inspired use of cinnamon this may well be but inspired -BY- cinnamon? Not to me it isn't. ROUSSE feels more like a composition inspired by a stunning redhead in an equally red lipstick. Daring and sensual, very much a head-turner!

autumn89's avatar

212 Sexy Man by Carolina Herrera

unfortunately this smells like body odour. I know some people say that and you think "Thats ridiculous" but in this case this actually does smell like body odour. It smells like boys changing rooms; the smell of sweat mixed with lynx body spray. Its disgusting, it really is.

12 December, 2009 (Last Edited: 19 March, 2010)

Pontifex Maximus's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Ungaro III by Ungaro

the smell of cold, very cold black roses...this is what a vampire would wear

perree's avatar

Artisan by John Varvatos

cheap kiddie spray that marketed as hot buy and such .... it smells artificial and unisex, the high pitch orange notes made my nose tingled, my head gotta turn the other way to avoid the pungent odor from my wrist.

now that's what you call an excellent fragrance, it's so strong you don't have to be near to smells how bad it is ... simply standing 5 ft away could raise an eyebrow and drop a jaw. i love artisan, the best i ever had.

Coutureguru's avatar

Daphne by Daphne Guinness

UGH!!!! Can someone please tell me how to wash this off ?? ... because it doesn't!!!! On me it goes from camphor (I kid you not!!) straight to cloying, OVER THE TOP amber (after one spray on the back of my hand) and then just hangs there. I tried this because I am a tuberose fan. If, indeed, it is there ... it's been trampled by the amber. This stuff is revolting ... had really high hopes for it too :o(.

Coutureguru's avatar

Life Threads: Platinum by La Prairie

Hmmmm .... very very disappointing as far as longevity goes. It's disappeared on me a scant 3 hours after a HEAVY application at the counter. I was so looking forward to the galbanum and jasmine (being a #19 freak!!) but sadly this just did not deliver. Same problem with sister fragrance Silver ... although that one is clutching on for dear life and is only just still there. Not worth the price tag!!! I think I'll stick to the classics!

Tortola's avatar

Envy by Gucci

I wore Envy a lot in my 20s and to me it is a sexy green tea scent (if such a thing is possible!). It oozes money and sophiscation and just doesn't smell like anything else, which is always a good thing as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't wear it now but it's still great. Gotta love Maurice Roucel for this one.

Tortola's avatar

Sarrasins by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

It mystifies and saddens me that Sarrasins does not get more love. For me it is perfection; intoxicating jasmine petals floating in red wine-like inkiness with a swirl of smoke.

Personally I think the jasmine is wonderfully indolic but I'm not a fan of the "skanky", animalic kind of indole that some people love. The apricot sweetness is more fermented than fruity and yes, the leather is light but what would be the point if it just overpowered the stunning jasmine? Although not a typically heavy SL scent, this is a good thing in my book and the sillage is still great. It's not a squeaky clean white floral either, or else I wouldn't be ordering my first bell jar. I can't get enough of this stuff.

Euphoria by Calvin Klein

I love, love, love the cream accord here and I like amber in general, so the first three minutes of euphoria is lovely. Alas, once the top notes have evaporated, there's an icky chemical tang and a thinness. I have sampled this fragrance repeatedly, wanting the sweet creaminess of the begining, but frustrated every time by the stingy heart. When I read about companies going cheap on ingredients, Euphoria always comes to mind as an example of something that smells cheap.

Osmanthus by Different Company

I smell green tea and and soap. (Not the luminous clean sweet soapiness of Pleasures, but the waxy bitter clean soapiness of getting one's mouth washed out with soap.) I got the sample (from luckyscents.com, so I believe it's a relieable sample) after reading Luca Turin's review (dreamy peach) and boy!, am I confused. I don't smell fruit, neither peach, nor citrus as mentioned by other reviewers here. There's a transparency, and I agree with LT's "dreamy". It is an inoffensive scent and interesting, but I take no pleasure in it. I will revisit the sample again and try to smell more.

Liaisons Dangereuses by By Kilian

I smell heavy rose with an edible quality, despite not being able to distinguish the fruit or vanilla explicitly. After two or three hours, I can just pick out the butteriness mentioned by lizzie_j. It is a thick, perfumey rose, and very beautiful. I like this scent, but I can also imagine getting a headache from too much of it.

Molto Smalto by Francesco Smalto

A very varonil fragrance with strong sillage and great longevity even in the warm climate of this side of the tropic, smells like 80s very similar to Minotaure.

Realm by Realm Fragrances

It smells nicely, no overpowering but with acceptable long-lasting although discreet to my taste...About the pheromones it is a myth, urban legend, nothing special, no crazy women, no sensuals affairs...just another good scent, very masculine, very similar to Aramis (1965).

Ultraviolet Man by Paco Rabanne

The masculine version of Hugo Deep Red, simply a spectacular fragrance but :( regular sillage and longlasting.

Spark for Men by Liz Claiborne

For me is the other great creation of Liz Clairborne (Curve is the best)...I would rather it be more strong because the topnote is very very pleasant, one day somebody told me "hey you smell like traditional dessert from my town"…, the combination of Rum+Cognac+Fig are spectacular...(full liquor with a touch of sweet) the topnote very good the middle and basenote are very weak.

odysseusm's avatar

Cuir Mauresque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

For a while, I could find things to appreciate in this scent. As it dried down, it turned into a scrubber.
    The opening is sweet and aromatic, and rather interesting. The aldehyde florals were very bright and zippy. Spices (cloves and cinnamon particularly) and some woods were good. There was also a bright metallic note: at first I thought it was violet leaf, but some have suggested aloe wood (oud) and it may be that. The combo of all of these was smooth. It was a round, opulent scent but not problematic. It was more floral and sweet than I like, but I found it interesting. Then cumin, something like indolic iris, and leather emerged. These got oppressive and rather fusty. I got the image of a very aged and somewhat eccentric aunt, wearing loads of makeup and too much scent. Exit, stage left, scrubbing all the way.

paul's avatar

Coriolan by Guerlain

I always mourn the the loss of a unique whiff, if only for those who liked it. This was definitely a refined taste, powerful, sweet and spicy. Not my thing but different.

KMF's avatar

Fahrenheit Absolute by Christian Dior

While this might not have all that much in common with the original Fahrenheit, it is very much worthy of the name, and is a worthwhile fragrance to seek out. It is only in the top notes and a bit into the heart where I get any resemblance to the original. Keep in mind that when I say resemblance, I don't necessarily mean that they smell alike. It's just that when I smell this portion of FA, the visual I get is of the original.

Once we are further along in the dry down, I get another visual. This time it's of the original oud scent, YSL's own M7. Now just like I wrote in the prior paragraph, I don't think they smell alike, it's just the first thing that comes to mind during the latter stages of FA's progression. Longevity is impressive, as I easily get 8-10 hours from four sprays. Sillage is consistent, but not overpowering. While this is certainly a fall / winter type of scent, I think this could potentially work in warmer evenings as well. (with a lighter application)

While I think this is a fantastic scent, it definitely isn't the most original. Other scents such as Givenchy Play Intense, YSL's La Nuit, and one or two others are in the same ballbark in feel. Honestly though, who cares?? This is a superb scent that smells great. It's one of those scents that you literally have to stop yourself from wearing every day. Besides, out of all the scents I mentioned, this is the best of the bunch...

5 stars

JanAlways's avatar

Ireland Ireland

Teck by Molinard

Teck is delightfully old school. To me it smells like a cross between Yatagan and Michael Kors for Men. I really love wearing it, and that was reinforced recently when I went to collect my daughter from school.

I was just out of the shower after tennis, and freshly scented with Teck, which I hadn't worn in a long time. One of the mothers (32, blonde, single, and a very yummy mummy) came over to my car to ask me something. When I lowered the window she literally SWOONED. I've never seen such a visceral reaction to a scent before. (In fact, I didn't realise women could swoon at all outside of the American Deep South.)

She immediately demanded to know the name of it so that she could buy it for her new boyfriend. Now, I regularly use her as a sounding board (should that be "smelling board"?) for scents, so over the past couple of years she has sampled dozens of scents on my arms and the backs of my hands. None have ever had that effect on her.

A couple of weeks later I was wearing Teck whilst at a gig and my date (forty-something, also blonde and yummy) spent a goodly portion of the night nuzzling my neck and telling me how good I smelled.

Now I have gotten the (very) rare compliment before on my scents (for Feuilles de Tabac, Fahrenheit Absolute, Kouros Fraîcheur and Avignon), but no scent has ever caused such PHYSICAL reactions in women.

Needless to say, Teck will now be front and centre in my fragrance cabinet - beside Yatagan, the King and his Kousin (Kouros and Kouros Fraîcheur), the new Fahrenheit Absolute and my many incense-based scents (Avignon, Messe de Minuit, Armani Privé Bois d'Encens, Cardinal etc).

I must also mention the fact that since it's not available in any shops in Ireland, I purchased it directly from the Molinard web site. They sold me a 100ml bottle of Teck for half price, and threw a second 100ml bottle for free.

Swoon-worthy, sexy, rare, remarkably inexpensive and delivered straight to my door - you can see why I'd give this five thumbs up if I could.

13 December, 2009 (Last Edited: 25 February, 2010)

hester's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Jean-Louis Scherrer by Jean-Louis Scherrer

I'm SO with purplebird7 on this one: outdoorsy spicy florals on a mean mossy base. Lovely stuff, and so otherworldly to me as this is such an out-of-fashion scent. Very very green, but not sharp, soft in focus but clear in intent. Personally, I'd love to smell this on a bubbly 18 year old blonde beauty or a studious young man of about 24.