Fragrance Reviews from December 2009

Rare Pearls by Avon

a very plummy scent- my mother-in-law's favorite- not for me, but maybe it's chemistry, because it smells ok from the bottle

Chloé Collection 2005 by Chloé

can't speak for the new version- but the original is wonderful! An ultra romantic and feminine scent- definitely not unisex! lasts and lasts on your pillow... nice! I'm sorry to hear they've changed it- I took a sniff of the new one at the local scent shop and thought it bore absolutely no resemblance to the original- the new one is one-dimensional rose and smells cheap

Spring in Paris by Celine Dion

a very pleasant stroll down the Champs d'Elysees- ultra feminine scent that epitomizes truth in advertising- nice job, celine!

Spotlight by Avon

Hey guys, double-check on this one-it's a female fragrance, and the spokesperson is Courteney Cox- haven't really tried it except for a tiny free patch sample, but thought it smelled delicious

Miss Dior Chérie L'Eau by Christian Dior

Quite an improvement over the original Miss Dior Cherie- which is tooth-achingly sweet (caramel corn and strawberry????) Agree with Asha on this one- this is more subtle and wearable.

In fact, I am beginning to like this better than J'adore l' Eau Floriale- overall, it is lighter, cleaner, less floral-fruity- ane maybe less is more!
    The top-mid notes are a beautiful medley of white floral and citrus, and it has an incredibly appealing woody dry-down that I thoroughly enjoy. I am entranced...

03 December, 2009 (Last Edited: 08 February, 2010)

Datura Noir by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Heady game of spot-the-Datura. A voluptuous tuberose-centric floral oriental which has no business calling itself 'unisex', not unless cross-dressing is an option readily considered by heterosexual males.

Un Bois Vanille by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

After a smoky yet syrupy start the vanilla loses some of its viscosity and acquires a more gourmand aspect, at which point any comparison to the scent of sweet pastries or bakery is perfectly reasonable. Though UN BOIS VANILLE appears linear for the most part, a closer examination reveals subtle gear-shifts throughout the scent's journey and underscores Sheldrake's artistry in his multi-faceted interpretation of vanilla and sandalwood. I can't help but smile as Un Bois Vanille enters its various phases: smoky, syrupy, gourmandy, creamy, milky, vanillic, effervescent, smoky again...

Five O'Clock Au Gingembre by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Fans of Sheldrake's spices, dried fruits and syrupy concoctions would no doubt feel a little let down by this departure from Lutens' signature style. I too had half-expected to dislike it, having read some negative reviews earlier. But having discarded any preconceived notions about this release, I learn to appreciate just how pleasantly wearable FIVE O'CLOCK AU GINGEMBRE really is, its sparkling yet soothing character never failing to put me at ease. Often the scent takes me away to a cozy little cafe in an old part of town where the owner greets you by name and offers to prepare 'the usual' as I amble over to my usual table. Before long I'm sipping on my favorite cup of tea laced with honey, cinnamon and young ginger, my tired feet resting contentedly on a stool even as I watch the late afternoon sun casts long elegant shadows across the cobblestoned sidewalk.

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

elegant , masculine , worthy of it's popularity , and it still does the trick for me.

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

If seduction had a smell... Yeah you've guessed it, it would be that of Body Kouros. Spraying this on your neck and chest embarks you in the world of sexuality and passion where everything is permitted and love is the air. You might get a rush of fantastic youthful sensual energy that will fuel your appetite every single time.

I cannot describe the thrill completely because most of it is indescribable. Use this juice wisely.

03 December, 2009 (Last Edited: 04 March, 2010)

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

The smell is good, very green and fresh, and MASCULINE. You smell like a real man, but unfortunately, like real old man. I can't see myself wearing this until I'm 40 or 50. It was a very successful fragrance at it's time but.. times change, tastes change, we need something more modern.

It has good projection, long lasting (8-10 hours on my skin), I'll give it a thumbs up for it's unique smell.

The Dreamer by Versace

Truly remarkable masterpiece. These are the words to describe Versace's Dreamer. It's natural, it's unique, you get compliments anywhere from anyone has good longevity and the projection is close to skin. BUT THERE IS A BIG BUT, I hate the first 20-30 mins of it (that's why at first I was disgusted by it), it's simply too spicy and awful and it hurts my nose, but I would sacrifice anytime for it's simply outstanding dry down.

This perfume is good for any time of the year (except day-time in the hot days of summer), it has a dramatic impact, and it suits the youth 16-22 years.

Versace Man Eau Fraîche by Versace

I don't know what's the big deal with it, but ladies, oh they adore this, they are DRAWN LIKE A MAGNET TO IT. It's sweetness takes bits of it's masculinity and for me it's just too citrusy. But if you wear a cologne for the ladies, you should get this.

No. 88 by Czech & Speake

I could only stand this for twenty minutes or so before scrubbing, so please take my comments with a grain of salt. No. 88 smells like cheap lemon-scented air freshener mixed with a random handful of incense sticks and a dollop of skank. It's loud and boorish. If my home smelled like this, I would pay money to have it decontaminated.

Eloge du Traitre by Etat Libre d'Orange

This a camphoraceous and resinous treatment of pine set against a background of freshly turned dark earth from the forest floor. The "fresh earth" background is quite reminiscent of CB I Hate Perfume's Black March, except that in BM the earth is a top note and here it's in the base.

In combination with the name ("traitor's eulogy"), my impression is of a rather stark story of someone being taken out into the woods and shot. Great concept, great execution, heh heh.

I have only two reservations with this fragrance. On a personal note, I find camphor-like odors somewhat aversive. Fortunately, this aspect of Eloge du Traitre does stabilize after an hour. My other gripe is that I wish the background notes were more prominent in the sillage. Someone next to you will only smell pine resin.

Rossy de Palma by Etat Libre d'Orange

I find this to be very much in the vein of The Different Company's Rose Poivree. It's a rose fragrance that emphasizes the rosebush rather than the rose, and that traces the bush through a moist autumnal decline. I don't find any incense here and don't see much resemblance to Paestum Rose.

This is nicely done, but my preference is for the brighter rose scents.

Géranium pour Monsieur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Meh. This is definitely a mint- rather than floral-oriented scent, but it's the menthol/camphor fake "mint" that seems to be typical of mint notes in perfumery. Here, the effect is typically medicinal and reminiscent of grandma's house. It does have an interesting progression, and I respect the construction. Nevertheless, it's not for me. I don't find this to be a pleasant scent.

OM_995's avatar

Unforgivable by Sean John

Yeah, argee with vast majority here. It is really horible, too sweet and simply unwearable. I have given that to my fatherinlaw, he likes everything.

Onan Salad's avatar

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

I wore this for exactly three hours before I had to take a shower - and even then I swore I could still smell it under the soap. The base is so strong that it reminds me of what strippers seem to bathe in. And there is no "down" to the drydown; the initial assault just goes on and on. Even if this smelled better on my skin, it would be too strong for warm, humid climates.

I recommend trying this on your skin instead of paper. On my skin, a cloyingly thick basenote crept up that was completely innocuous on the card.

honeylocs's avatar

Black Raspberry Chocolate by Body Shop

I was in a chocolate fragrance phase about 5 or 6 years ago, read reviews about this and became obsessed with having it. Sadly I found it was discontinued. I called around to all the Body Shop stores in my area, and only one had some left in stock! I zoomed to the store and bought all they had left, 5 bottles. However, when I applied it, I overdid it, got horribly sick of the sweet fragrance. You only need a touch, more than that is too much. It is deliciously chocolate-fruity, though, but I can't wear it because I guess I have scent memory from when I over-applied it. I gave some away as gifts, have 2 left, which I'll put on eBay. The good thing about oils is that they hold onto their fragrance forever.

luxunique's avatar

Ynpo by Otto Kern

this is my absolute favourite perfume of all time...i love it sooo much, and am really sad their not making it anymore. luckily i can still find it on e-bay and such, but have to get it shipped over from germany. the freshness of the scent is probably not the greatest anymore, but i'll take a hint of ypno over none at all :)

LolaDarling's avatar

Amor Amor by Cacharel

First, I want to say that I love this scent. I am VERY picky about fragrance. I don't like most perfumes. They smell disgusting, old-ladyish, powdery, musky.... Strong musk and powder or pure floral scents make me nauseous and give me a headache. I had even stopped smelling new scents because they made me physically ill. I just stopped wearing perfume altogether at one point.

When I came across this scent in a duty free shop, something told me to check it out. I sprayed it on and fell in love with it immediately. Although floral and fruity, it had just the right balance of warmth and spiciness for me. For the rest of the night, people were asking me why i smelled so good. The men were especially drawn to my scent. Many said that they wanted it for their girlfriend/wife. That was 8 years ago. It is still my signature scent.

I understand that is smells nasty on many women. Fortunately, it's warm, spicy, exotic, very feminine, a little sweet, and a lot sexy on me. Yes, it smells a little young but so what. Who wants to smell old? Admittedly, depending on the occasion and season, I do pair it with one of three warmer or spicier scents sprayed on the back of my neck. However, the result is unbelievable!

Every time I wear my "potion", men constantly come up and want to smell me. They get all dreamy-eyed and curious; then they exclaim, “You smell delicious”. The look on their faces is priceless. It’s almost like a little boy trying to figure out the contents of his presents under the Christmas tree. Hilarious!

I notice that a lot of women here have commented about not liking it. Hey, I want to attract men, not women. So, I'm only concerned about how men react to my smell and men really dig this scent on me. Seriously! Once they start smelling, they don't want to go away. They just kind of hover and keep coming back to smell me again and again, like bees to honey. If the guy is very attractive, I often get embarrassed and have to ask him to quit smelling my neck. Not a bad thing ;-) I never tell them what it is. I just smile coyly and call it my "secret potion". The mystery I create around it drives them crazy!

shamu1's avatar

Caesars Man by Caesars World

It's easy to be a snob about Caesar's Man: it's sold in all the cheapo bargain bin stores like TJ Maxx, and it's got a sticker on the bottle saying it's made in Las Vegas! It's hard not to laugh out loud and take this cologne seriously.

I swear I am not being sarcastic or tongue-in-cheek here when I write this: Caesar's Man is a very good fragrance. My only criticism is that it is not creative or original at all - comments below about this smelling like Drakkar Noir are dead on, to the extent that I would even call this a knock off of Drakkar. If someone asks you what cologne you're wearing, you could get away with telling him you're wearing Drakkar Noir.

Don't know what I'm talking about because you've never smelled Drakkar Noir? In a nutshell, Caesar's is a strong, sweet and leathery aromatic fougere, just like Drakkar. Just like Drakkar, it is an old school macho powerhouse. This is not a fragrance for men who want to smell like girls.

So why buy this instead of Drakkar Noir? First, it's much less expensive. Second, it smells just as good as Drakkar. But third, and most importantly, it is a lot stronger than the current formulation of Drakkar Noir. The reformulation of Drakkar, scent-wise, was well done, but it removed Drakkar's legendary sillage and staying power. Caesar's Man brings it back - it projects farther than current Drakkar (though not quite as much as the original version of it), and it has marathon longevity, clocking in at between 12 and 16 hours on my skin.

So the moral of the story is this: if you love Drakkar Noir, chances are you'll love this. Don't get me wrong, I still love the reformulated Drakkar, but when I want to relive the old Drakkar's formidable power and sillage, I reach for Caesar's Man.

MY RATING: 8.5/10

03 December, 2009 (Last Edited: 11th January, 2011)

Green Tea by Elizabeth Arden

The opening is citrus with a little mint; the passable green tea note is in the background and grows stronger as the citruses lessen in intensity. The middle florals take control of the green tea accord and provide a pleasant feminine ambiance to the heart accord. I don’t get any amber in the base, and I’m not even sure about the musk, but I do get a moss note still combined with the original tea note. Green Tea has about average sillage and slightly less than average longevity. It's a pleasant fragrance.

Asja by Fendi

Very Oriental – nearly exotically so – Asja is a spicy, sweet ambery / wood Oriental built on a platform of blended florals. It’s edgy and it has a modern texture to its Oriental lushness. The opening is fruity in a way that doesn’t scream “fruit” to me – it is more like a full, round “sweet.” I lose track of the fruit accord relatively quickly because the spices and to a lesser extent, the florals take over. The prominent spice to my nose is cinnamon and it retains its presence well into the basenotes until the clove takes over. The base provides an amber / honey affair that shows a surprisingly strong (for an Oriental) patchouli character. It is the character of the patchouli that impresses me most about the base.

I’ve not been much of a fan of Fendi fragrances, but recently I have tested Asja, Theorama and Theorama Uomo, and I have come to be quite impressed by how good they are.

Jardins de Bagatelle by Guerlain

Lots of flowers in this garden… Jardins de Bagatelle is a very nice ‘80s floral – mainly white floral. It is refined and smooth, with the top notes and middle notes presenting a massed floral display: I can’t separate out the individual notes, but it is a pleasant aroma without anything except its competence happening. I can’t determine the differences between the top and the heart notes, but the base comes in with its own identity. The base of vetiver and cedar features a nice civet note which adds a bit of depth to JdB. I think that the civet dates the fragrance a little.

It’s a nice fragrance – I like it but I don’t see it as anything special in its present incarnation. Chances are, this, as so many others of its time, has been reformulated to its own detriment. Good sillage and longevity.

Le Feu D'Issey by Issey Miyake

What an unusual fragrance. I’m not going to be able to pin any kind of label on this one. The opening accord is intriguing – I get a sort of combination wonderful / dislikingly -startling reaction to it, but I keep sniffing it and that’s the telling thing. The rose–lily / coriander / anise-pepper combination over a base of rosewood / gaïac wood is a masterpiece of creative genius. And the perfumer’s craft shows clearly because this opening accord has quite competent sillage and excellent longevity. I think the longevity can be accounted for because the top and middle seem to be one accord: I can’t determine a separation between. The base carries somewhat the same ambiance as the top two accords except that he gaïac wood is stronger and the “milky” amber is quite obvious in the combination. The most unusual note in the base is somewhat gourmand with its touch of caramel in the background. I catch some musk in it, too. The base is softer than the top and middle and, thusly, loses some of its exoticness of the first accords. In the end I find the drydown beautiful and very wearable and that the Le Feu D'Issey is a delightfully creative, interesting fragrance.

Jivago 24K Women by Jivago

Those gold flakes again…? I assume by the name that this fragrance is supposed to represent wealth or elegance. I’m not sure about the wealth or elegance of this fragrance – I go back and forth on that. What I am sure of is the undercurrent of sensuality it possesses. The opening is not one that I really care for: a burst of close to heady rose. It’s not so heady that I wouldn’t be able to ignore it except that it lasts too long for me. I do like the middle notes because of their sensuality – jasmine and tuberose with their soft indolic action, and orris for a soft feminine powder. The middle notes stay with the amber from the base to form a very pleasant and nicely sensual drydown. Jivago 24K is a relatively light fragrance that has good longevity. Except for the rose in the opening… very nice.

Odalisque by Nicolaï

Floral Chypre… Odalisque opens with a pleasant green that lasts for a few minutes before transforming to earthy lily of the valley note – like smelling the base of the flower and picking a bit of the green and flower and dirt. The lily of the valley forms a combination floral bouquet with jasmine and iris: The jasmine note is recessive, unfortunately, and the iris provides a definite share of powder. It seems acceptably put together, but I find it a very dull floral. It might be called “subtle,” I suppose, but it is not delicate or ethereal… just subtly dull. The notes are natural and refined, but the accords are uninspired. To my nose, there just seems of be so little of interest going on in Odalisque… I’m missing what it is trying to tell me.

Spark for Women by Liz Claiborne

It does remind me somewhat of Obsession – it’s sweeter, but it’s in the same ballpark. Spark is quite spicy and for several minutes I’m thinking that maybe there IS a Liz Claiborne scent that I can find worthwhile. No such luck. The drydown is, as takemyhusbandplz says, dull and uninspired.