Fragrance Reviews from February 2009

Aznavour's avatar

White Jasmine & Mint by Jo Malone

I only get a very faint jasmine and can't really discern the mint -- more like a bright herbaceousness that I find hard to define. This is pleasant, though not charming like others in the line. If you are looking for a subtle, non-indolic jasmine, try this on for size.

Bandit by Robert Piguet

This one immediately reminded me of the time I was four years old and my mother gave me a spanking.

You see, I was riding my tricycle around the block and should have stopped long enough to go inside and take care of my business. But I didn't and an accident ocurred.

I rode on and on and on for hours, demon triker, as if somehow it could make this mess all go away.

My mother called me in at dusk only to discover what I had done. After she cleaned things up thoroughly, she brought out her wooden spatula and broke it across my little butt.

Does it smell just like my mother did in those innocent days gone by of the '50's?

Or does it smell just like I did while peddling for redemption on my trusty red tricycle?

Either way, this is not a pleasant scent...

Boss Number One by Hugo Boss

I was at a men's store and needed to add $30 to get a $50 discount on my purchase. I didn't want to pay that much for their designer socks, so I asked to try out two fragrances.

I sprayed Perry Ellis Blue 360 on my right wrist and Boss # 1 on my left. After a few whiffs, I bought the Perry Ellis.

I continued on with my errands, and in the car I noticed I kept bringing up my left wrist for another sniff. Three hours later I found myself back at the men's store, explaining that time had changed my mind and I would prefer to trade in the Perry Ellis for this Boss.

I have never regreted it.

I spray on Boss # 1 whenever I want to smell like a man's man.

I went on a spree, buying all the different Boss fragrances, but never found another one close to the timelessness and class contained in the original.

The good news is that I was no longer satisfied with the jumble of five bottles I found on my shelf that had come to me over the years as gifts from various girlfriends and lovers. Instead, it was the beginning of my quest in search of my perfect scent.

I am now up to 172 bottles, and I can say that the only other one I have found as truly masculine as this orignal Boss is Versace's Dreamer.

Please do get past the general disdain for the Boss products that you read on this board, and try this classic with an open mind.

Cool Water by Davidoff

My second wife asked me to try this from a bottle her ex left behind. I f***ing hated it!!!

That was twelve years ago. Now that she is my ex too, I gave it another chance. What a fresh, lovely scent! I can see now why it changed the game.

With the popularity of all the aquatics that followed, none match this original and only a few can even come close. A true classic.

But I still cannot quite bring myself to give it five stars. After all, that s-o-b wore it...

Erolfa by Creed

Red Hot Chili Peppers.

It is kind of fun and different at first, but doesn;t wear well.

After some time that pepper scent heats itself up. It begins to irritate, then burn, then it sears through the soft flesh of the mucous membranes inside ones nasal passages.

It is just like wearing "Suck My Kiss" around all the day.

Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

In an elegant shopping center in Buenos Aires, I was drawn to a fragrance kiosk by the sight of a lovely bottle of D&G Light Blue.

"It is a bad scent," said the sales girl in her deliciously accented English. "If you want a sweet blue, then try the Versace Man Eau Fraiche. But if you want to truly experience the sea, then you must buy this Kenzo. It is the only fragrance I let my novio wear."

She was right of course, just as most of these reviews are. Kenzo is far from a sweet blue, but rather it captures to salty mist spit into the air as ones yacht cuts threw the sea-green surf.

However, the sea salt carries some sting. I find Kenzo to be so-so at best.

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

For some reason I keep being drawn to these Ginger accords.

It often seems to catch my eye on the shelf. I put on some protection, I do it one more time, and I am disappointed again.

There is a reason this one seems to be the leading fragrance on the "For Sale" thread here on Basenotes.

I think it would be much more pleasant that if instead, someone could put Mary Ann in a bottle...

Bartlebooth's avatar

Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta by Acqua di Parma

This is a sweeter, more muted production than the original Colonia, and it felt very contained from application to drydown. It has a meeker, less obtrusive personality than it's older brother, and it seems to try very hard not to offend in anyway. The original has a swagger and ebullience that is sadly lacking here, I would find it difficult recommend a purchase of this while they Aqua Di Parma produce something so much better.

rikoozik's avatar

The Dreamer by Versace

The top notes are not the chemical death that everyone makes it out to be. Yes, they are not great by any means, but I find all the complaints here about the initial spray being nauseating or headache-inducing tend to be an exaggeration. If you have the patience to get over the top notes, this fragrance rewards you with one of the most wonderful, rich tobacco scents during the dry down. It's really a very unique smell, very masculine, the sillage (with only two shots to the neck) is terrific, and the longevity is fantastic. One of the best dry downs I've ever experienced. You keep getting whiffs of it as it envelops your body with a warm tobacco long after you first wear it. It's a great evening fragrance. One of my favorites, and I'll definitely get another bottle when mine runs out. Bonus: it can be found very affordably online.

rikoozik's avatar

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Every time I wear this, I feel like I'm floating on a cloud of foamy shaving cream. Clean, smart, inoffensive...I agree wholeheartedly with L'aventurier down below that "it just makes you smell like a clean intellectual." Long lasting with great sillage. So versatile, I can wear it anywhere and at any time without feeling out of place. One of the safest blind buys you can make, and affordable too. I'll always have a bottle in my collection.

StefanBlerim's avatar

Serbia Serbia

Calvin Klein Man by Calvin Klein

One of the most vile odours I have ever smelled... it is a real disaster! Such a surprise coming from a usually great perfume-producing fashion house

Red Door by Elizabeth Arden

Why in the world would anybody want to have this sprayed on their body? It smells like that Old Great Aunt of yours that is very annoying and wears tacky jewelery and way too much makeup and always grabs your face and tells you how much you've grown up and all you want to do is go home and watch your favorite T.V show and eat ice cream. I smelled it once and I must have touched my nose to the sprayer because the smell followed me ALL DAY! It probably lasts on the skin for about 8 days.

Joop! Homme by Joop!

This smells like the cakes they put in urinals in public restrooms sprinkled with a dash of cinnamon

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

It has a pleasent smell... Kind of like an orange creamsicle with a base of tobacco. I just don't think it is very masculine... It almost smells unisex. Not my type, but a good scent.

Fancy by Jessica Simpson

When I first smelled this perfume I thought of a mix of bubble gum and cotton candy. But for some strange reason it seemed to remind me of when I used to go camping when I was little. And then it hit me... OFF SPRAY! Now if I smell it thats all I can smell is off spray. To sum it up, this perfume is disgusting (unless you like cotton candy covered in off spray.

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

The opening is a very, very strong lemon. Someone mentioned Lemon Pledge, but, to me, it's much closer to Lemonheads, the candy, straight from the box, though that might be because it's more comforting to me to smell like candy than furniture polish. Oddly enough, the initial blast of lemon reminded me of Jicky (I've only sampled the EDT), while the dusty, musty, slightly dirty drydown reminded me of Habit Rouge (though not quite so old-mannish), both classic Guerlains that I really wanted to like more than I actually did. This is something that will definitely make its way into my wardrobe, while the Guerlains, at several times the cost, can stay on the shelf in Neiman, at least for the time being.

Vetyver by L'Occitane

I used to be a smoker, and while the scent of cigarette smoke now makes me a bit nauseous (probably like I was making everyone around me when I smoked), I still love the smell of tobacco: pipe smoke, cigar smoke, even unlit cigarettes. My favorite tobacco-related scent, though, is that rush of dry sweetness that hits you when you step from the main floor of a smoke shop into the humidor, and that's what L'Occitane's Vetyver brings up for me. Love it.

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

This scent is perfectly fine. It smells good. It gets a neutral rating because all it really does is remind me of something that, in my opinion, is much better: L'Occitane's Eau des Baux. GPH2 has the same intense and lovely woody notes, but it turns the cinnamon up a notch, and I'm not the biggest fan of cinnamon. Eau des Baux also somehow manages to smell very dry throughout (probably the smoky notes), which I like, and there's something different in the Gucci that smells much wetter, for lack of a better word. If you like this, try the L'Occitane.

MerrittIsland's avatar

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

Dior Homme certainly has enough ratings that adding my 2 cents will not sway anyone. But to any woman who wonders if this is really wearable for her, YES YES YES!

The beginning is just OK. And then slowly here it comes and bam! -- there it is but it never goes beyond a loud whisper. It's soft, gentle. And yet it's what I think of as a deep fragrance. My nose has no idea what the individual notes are and I don't really care to know. It's the overall affect that interests me the most and I can't seem to get enough of this one.

This is the only men's fragrance (and I've tried a bunch) I enjoyed enough to purchase. And then I went for the 3.4 oz size since I can't seem to get enough.

jovanbell's avatar

Prada (new) by Prada

I agree with Pasha, this IS an excellent fragrance, I bought it BLIND thinking that it would work for me as a man as well. it just didnt work. Quite TOO feminine. I believe if the Rose and Mimosa absolute were gone, it would be a fine unisex fragrance. But this my friends shall smell amazing on a woman. However, I will say, this did not smell groundbreaking to me.

jovanbell's avatar

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

On a female, I could definitely see how this fragrance could smell sexy, pungent, dark, lovely, and sweet. Its a very amazing scent. Very Unique. Not run-of-the-mill at all. I could see it excellent as a night or a special occasion fragrance.
    But I am reading on here how could could be a 'unisex scent'. I actually received some in the mail today, sampled a few times over about 17 hours, the drydown is nice, but i do not see this beinga good fragrance for a male. I tried my best to find it, and give the benefit of the doubt, but I just couldnt do it. I shall be selling it this week.

Cutecthulu's avatar

Promesse de l'Aube / FK1 by MDCI

A very well balanced fruity-floral chypre. The tip-top is sweet citrus, followed by a lovely accord of peach and rose. Floral-mossy-woody middle. The drydown has a surprising hint of rosemary. Long-lasting and well composed. Now if only the price were more reasonable...

pLaTypu5's avatar

Ed Hardy Man by Christian Audigier

Ed Hardy's cologne for men is too dull and boring. There is no "flaunt" in it. Simply your average soapy-water-and-potpurri smell.

Elwing's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

This one really appealed to me because of the licorice note. We Dutch are a bit crazy that way. For the rest this scent is sweeter than what I would normally wear, but it's ok- a bit of variation does you good. I bought this in a set with a body lotion in a stunning box. This is one of the most imaginatively packed products on the market, Very girly, pretty bottle and I love to wear this when a certain feminine mood comes along. Shame I'm almost out of it now...

Elwing's avatar

Belgium Belgium

Lily of the Valley by Yardley

I used to own a tiny bottle of this scent as a little girl and when I found it on a shelf in my local department store nostalgia got the better of me. I was not disappointed, wonderful fresh green scent that stays and stays. Perfect for everyday wear, and comes at a very affordable price.

leo_barnes's avatar

Ultrared Man by Paco Rabanne

Starts off orangey... before settleing into a powdery toffee smell... but the smell, although defined enough on the skin to smell good, is not strong enough to be sickly.

Longevity is good, starting fresh with the va-va-voom you need to start the day or before going out... before sweetening off to a more sensual soft scent... potent for those who are thinking about getting close (;-)) but wont stink out everyone in the room...

tres bon! je'ladore...

The Dreamer by Versace

Perfection, thy name is "The Dreamer."

Read all the adjectives used in the positive reviews here as readers try to capture this scent with something as futile as mere words:

Bold, Daring, Sophisticated, Masculine, Mature.

Elegant, Poetic, Romantic, Mysterious, Eccentric.

Warm, Dark, Moody, Gothic, Tart, Pungent.

Awesome, Irresistible, Beautiful, Blissful, Amazing.

Heavenly.

The Dreamer is the sum of all of these parts and more.

In addition to these praises, it is without a doubt the longest lasting scent that I have ever experienced. A 6 AM spritzing lasts long past midnight and even into the next morning.

If I were stranded on a deserted island for the rest of my life and could choose only one fragrance, it would be The Dreamer. I would wile away my days in the luxury of this scent while it lasts and lasts and lasts for all time.

A true confession from this flaming heterosexual: When I am wearing The Dreamer, I want to make love to myself...

Isn't that what it is all about?

07 February, 2009 (Last Edited: 07 June, 2012)

Perfume_Addict's avatar

Fancy by Jessica Simpson

Candied Apricots on Vanilla Ice Cream. I like the Rose Gold color of the cap and neckband on the bottle.

odysseusm's avatar

L'Eau du Navigateur by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Fragrance notes: Spices, exotic woods, strong coffee resins.
    This is a very good, distinctive scent. It has deep spices and dark woods. It is very similar to MPG’s Eau des Îles. EdN is woodier, spicier, sweeter, richer. EdÎ is drier, smokier. They both are warm scents and yet EdÎ has an intriguingly cool aspect. They both have a very roasted espresso note that is quite charming. I didn't detect any tobacco notes. I can’t see owning both, and I prefer the MPG take on this. But Navigateur is a classy scent, to be sure!

odysseusm's avatar

Grass by Demeter Fragrance Library

Well, no surprise here. This is a simple, grassy, slightly sweet and synthetic scent which lasts about 10 minutes. It is forgettable and because of its simplicity, rather boring and shallow.