Fragrance Reviews from February 2009

Alyssa Ashley Musk by Alyssa Ashley

Still one of the best musks available. Big plus for a huge amount of side products.

Kind of surprising that although is was marked unisex in the first place; it hasn’t found its way to the use of men. This is most of the times considered to be a fragrance for ladies. For instance, this is quite popular here in Finland (has always been) but I have never heard that some man actually used it.

Kind of shame, this. It IS quite clearly more towards feminine side for sure, but still extremely suitable for men too. (C’mon!!)

Clean, fresh, floral musk. Extremely versatile. Smells very good and is available in 3 different concentrations. (EdT, EdP, Parfum)

Top: Sicilian Bergamot, Orange Blossom
    Heart: Aldehydes, Jasmin, Rose, Ylang Ylang, Iris, Clove
    Base: Oak Moss, Tonka Beans, Amber

Himalaya by Creed

There is absolutely nothing special or exciting about it, and those big bucks don’t smell here even for starters. On the contrary; this does smell very cheap to me, in a way.

Soapy fresh woody fougere with nostril stingingly sharp peppery tone. (It just doesn’t make sense at all why Michael Edwards says this is an Oriental fragrance – it’s really confusing since I usually appreciate the mans opinions)

Himalaya has a disturbing cold metallic edge to it; to me it makes the whole composition to smell very restless and unbalanced.

The only thing I like about this fragrance is that silvery presentation.

L'Eau by Diptyque

Simple and quite strong spicy pot pourri fragrance. Very Diptyque-ish.

As pointed by many times in previous reviews, this is definitely not for clove shy people. It comes out very strong with warm support from cinnamon. Somewhat very similar to CdG EdP this, but its less sharp without that a bit of metallic edge. This is more natural smelling.

L`eau is very simple, natural and “raw” without any sensual aspects. I like it a lot, but I never would use this as a personal fragrance. In some specific way I am sure it would make me way too self conscious scent wise.

This would make a fine room spray. So my suggestion is that instead of yourself and your clothing, spray this at your home (or in your vehicle) to various places; curtains, sheets, hand-towels, carpets etc.

Easy on the trigger on this one, no matter where you decide to spray it after all.

Boss in Motion by Hugo Boss

I hate this one, for a reason and another.

Opening note of airy candy-like orange is very entertaining, but it very soon after that dies into this oh-so-very-boring and weak blend subtle woods and vanilla-musk. Doesn’t last very long, at least not on me.

I am also not a fan of these kind of sporty releases – I mean, with the concept like this the juice itself must be something very special if its able to capture me along.
    Here, this is not the case.

And I must say that it doesn’t help that this fragrance is a huge hit in my home country along with those sporty, trendy bullish dumbasses.

Desire Blue by Dunhill

I am some sort of fan of the original Desire, but for some reason this irritates me a lot. Perhaps it just smells “too simple”, sweet and bubblegummy fresh.
    It does smell a lot like some cheap fruity body-lotion crap.

There are interesting and good smelling (synthetic) sweet scents, and then there is stuff like this.

1881 Amber by Cerruti

First I must say that comparison to Declaration (made by SixSlarty) sounds very bizarre, to say the least. I can’t see a connection whatsoever.

To me this is unfortunately very boring ambery floral scent. Very light and weak on me without any mentionable character. This thin and very simple blend just doesn’t smell that captivating by any means.

Fresh, androgynous scent that has absolutely nothing to do with the original creation which by the way; I think is far superior to this one, in every single aspect.

The only thing I like about this scent in a way is that its fairly unique scent after all. But unfortunately it doesn’t do much in this case. !881 Amber smells eventually like it was just a “nice try” from the perfumer.

I once bought a bottle of this blind….Didn’t like it that much (as you can see) so I gave it to my younger brother.
    Lasts time I saw the bottle it was placed at the back of the shelves of his bathroom – he hadn’t apparently used it at all, so I guess he didn’t like at either….
    I never made it an actual subject of conversation with him, though.

Police Dark by Police

Pleasant but very boring and not distinctive in slightest. Just a smooth, simple and warm semi-sweet scent with dominating amber, musk and vanilla tones. Smells kind of cheap and one dimensional. Didn’t last well on my skin.

The bottle I’ve seen and did hold in my hands was a shamefully bad in quality with very crude and unfinished details to it. It really looked like a total screw up. Not sure if it was a problem with only that one single bottle or not….

Notes :

Top : Bergamot, Neroli, Blackcurrant, Juniper, Dill, Lavender
    Heart : Oak moss, Fir Balsam, Jasmin, Geranium
    Base : Vetiver, Musk, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Amber

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

This is really odd – I actually kind of like this one. It’s odd because I usually don’t care about these kind of scents that much (without some exceptions) – It’s odd also because there I reviewers putting this down on heavy hand; reviewers I usually tend to agree with.

Okay, it’s not that exciting or special, but to my nose it is blended better than average juices of this kind and you know what; it lasts on me very well.

Fresh, subtle and natural smell of green fields and flowing cool rivers.

Nice, but I must give a neutral rating after all for a reasons that its true that there are much better scents of this category available plus I wouldn’t never buy myself a bottle of this.

Still, very acceptable flanker for original Polo.

Bogner Wood Man by Bogner

This is a quite nice quiet woody scent that hasn’t got much of attention. Well made, very smooth and polished. Smells natural and delicate.

Nothing stands out particularly; it is very rounded with warm and quite sweet feel to it. A distant medicinal tinge.

If smooth subtle woods with soft and sweet ambery base does ring your bell, the probably you should give it a try. It’s not that different or exciting, but at least it’s a quality juice blending wise and it’s also very rare among people. And, it has a good-looking bottle too.

Eau de Santal by Floris

It is a good fresh spicy woody fragrance. Light, natural and for sure very well made (In its own right). Smells classy and distinguished straight from the bottle. It developes into a very subtle yet rich blend of woods and light musk. Quite long lasting but wears extremely close to the skin.

Not bad, but eventually not my personal style at all. Way too quiet and refined for my tastes – kind of usual problem for me with these aristocratic British creations.

New Tradition by Etro

It smells kind of interesting at first sniff, but then it very soon becomes very unpleasant and eventually even off-putting.

I must agree with some that is really does have a strange, (cheap) after-shave vibe to it. (I don’t smell Old Spice though)
    It is also extremely skin product / lotion smelling. It reminds me very very much of some ordinary sun-lotion.

Then there is definitely something animalic lurking underneath of it all. I am surprised no one has mentioned anything about it. Its that same kind of animalic tone which, again, can be found in some cheap grocery store after-shaves. Its very masculine shade this uncivilized and edgy musky smell; I believe it might actually be even an actual civet ingredient (synthetic, naturally).

Definitely not for me, but I’ll give this one a neutral rating just because it has some interesting aspects and I can easily recommend this controversial juice for anyone to try.

Tam Dao by Diptyque

Flawlessly blended pretty little sandalwood. Very natural, refined and authentic. Lasts long time with gentle sillage. Totally appropriate for both sexes.

Of course this has a lot common with many other sandalwood scents. For instance, Tam Dao could easily be seen as some sort of light version of Santal Noble.

TD is pure creamy vs. dusty sandalwood that has hints of that coconutty smell which is usual for sandalwood scents.

Simple as that. One dimensional with no particular development or depth, but it doesn’t matter at all: It just smells good without trying too hard of anything.

If you find this too tame, I suggest you reach for that Santal Noble or preferably Santal de Mysore (Lutens).

Style In Play by Lacoste

Kind of sad to think that Annick Menardo created this fragrance. She has actually done some scents which are hell of a much better and interesting than this one, and she has always been one of my favourite perfumers.

Boredom has been defined by C. D. Fisher in terms of its central psychological processes: “an unpleasant, transient affective state in which the individual feels a pervasive lack of interest”.

Aqua di Roma Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

This is one of those spicy-oceanic scents that my nose just can’t handle. It is quite dense, fruity and unfortunately very astringent to my nose: It is bit of a spiky nostril stinger. Again it must be some aromachemical or spice accord which my nose totally detests.

Apart from the gorgeous packing, to me this is hopelessly useless flanker.

L'Eau Bleue D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

One of the better and most interesting designer releases in the past few years. It is another interesting creations of Jacques Cavallier.

Very very aromatically clean and surprisingly complex multi-layered composition. Doesn’t smell that synthetic to me as some other reviews seem to indicate.

I get full-bodied and deep green aroma. Grass, waxy bitter tree leaves with slightly medicinal herbs thrown along. Something like a spiced up cucumber slices there, too. Wonderfully masculine. Smells very summery to me in a most wonderful way. I remember few years ago on some warm day in July I wore this on the shore of a lake and it was like a match made in heaven.

This is like a slightly twisted and unstable, more interesting, intelligent and characteristic brother of Azzaro Chrome.

Absolutely great, and the bottle is very beautiful too.

Silver Cologne by Amouage

Subtle yet very rich floral scent with interesting animalic undertones.

I agree that is smells “silver-y” in a certain way; it has a weird distant metallic tone to it.

This is actually really odd and unique fragrance, in my opinion. For some reason I came to think that this is like a faaar away cousin to ELdO`s Secretions Magnifiques…That one is completely unwearable unlike this; Silver Cologne is very versatile scent especially when you control yourself on the trigger.

To my nose the most prominent notes are orange blossom, orchid with jasmine, amber, incense and patchouli. And then there is that gentle metallic accord plus very clear but refined animalic tone. That animal shade comes to my nose a bit of a private-parts sweat like style. It’s not overbearing though, and it’s quite easy to handle.

I recommend for you to try this. It is one of the more interesting Amouage perfumes; it is surprisingly unique, very deep and very masculine too.

Personable, gentle animalic floral cologne.

Luciano Soprani Uomo by Luciano Soprani

We are talking about the one that has a (soccer player) Roberto Baggio in cover of the box..? He is also a “face” of this scent in general. Released in 2003.

Extremely slick woody scent; it is very round and smooth without any edge. Little crispy.

Quite subtle and very soft blend of fresh woods and amber with hint distant hint of spicy florals. Light transparent musk wraps this unordinary and boring scent together.

Personally speaking I find this totally trivial. There are simply put thousands of better fragrances available.

Original Santal by Creed

First I must say that I don’t find this nearly as much similar to Joop!Homme than some other reviewers, although its true that they resemble each other a bit. To me they both are sharp cold oriental-fougere scents with strong synthetic smell to them.
    I like Joop! much more.

Original Santal doesn’t smell bad. Apart from Joop!, it obviously shares some similarities with some other Creed fragrances. It’s on the border for being quite traditional aromatic fougere fragrance.

Amber is not listed as a note on this one, but I think I smell a good doze of it anyway. I could almost bet my life there is amber in this scent.
    Sharp spices and hard logs of sandalwood with crisp aromatic tones and slightly cloying base of tonka beans.

Like I said, Original Santal smells quite cold and synthetic although I don’t doubt it is mainly done with naturals.
    Fresh and woody scent that I find quite masculine.

Not bad, but not particularly exciting especially considering the value for the money.

Agua Verde by Salvador Dali

Almost a total disgrace for this house which has put out some really interesting releases.

On me this is awfully weak and one dimensional steam clean light green scent that has a “lotion-like” structure to it. Doesn’t last.

Can’t think of a much more pointless scent to be bought, although the bottle is very nice as usual for Dali.

Paestum Rose by Eau d'Italie

As I type this there are 12 reviews for this one – all positive.
    I’m happy to join this unanimous opinion.

Paestum Rose is another great scent from this house. Absolutely delicious rose fragrance equally suitable for men and women. Definitely one of the best rose perfumes ever; this is really amazing.

After fresh and bright start it soon turns into a very resinous and dark spicy rose with warm (almost hot) woods. Very unique and mysterious scent. Has a certain kind of exotic feel to it.

To me the aroma of PR is a dramatic one in itself, but the great balance with not overly strong sillage makes it both versatile and playful, if you like. With amount of sprays you can control the effect.

Must try – not just for those who are crazy about roses.

Simply gorgeous.

Blue Amber by Montale

Warm and strong basic amber scent. Very, VERY powdery. Too much so for me personally; and I think this amber leans more towards feminine side. Still, I can see a man wearing this without a single problem.

Powerful and forever lasting mixture of amber, vanilla and powder with hints of fiery patchouli. Coriander freshens up the composition and gives some balance to this rather simple blend.

Depending on skin chemistry and temperature, Blue Amber can easily come out smelling quite rubbery. It’s usual with these saucy, powdery scents.
    Hot, smoking rubber.

Very nice and yet so largely eclipsed by some other amber scents; both in quality and overall appeal.

Aoud Flowers by Montale

Very very typical montale rose-y oud opening. Medicinal, oily, waxy and completely captivating.
    This is indeed very similar comparing to many other Aoud scents of Montale, starting from Black Aoud.

If I continue comparing this to Black Aoud, this turns eventually a bit brighter. It’s not that dark and I think it is even a tad stronger than BA with more massive sillage.

For sure I understand the critics who are bothered how much some Montale`s resemblances each other.
    Aoud Flowers is definitely one scent which makes some other scents in the Aoud line completely pointless to own. I just suggest you just find out which one you like best of these rose-y ouds.

Aoud Flowers smells fantastic and it lasts so long that no one will be disappointed.

When I smell Aoud Flowers, I think of rubber bouncy balls which I played a lot when I was a small boy. Those balls had a very strong smell to them, and I just loved that Aoud Flowers-y smell as much as I was intrigued by the way those balls looked.

The colouring of AF aluminium bottle is very beautiful.

Ambre à Sade by Nez à Nez

Uhh….No no.

Nez a Nez calls them a niche house, but they have been releasing a bunch of these absolutely cheap smelling synthetic fragrances. Kind of interesting scenario behind the perfumes; wonderful concept really with nice looking bottles, interesting pyramids, stylish websites etc.
    I also like strong perfumes basically and so its been nice to see that they put hell of a lot power in their scents.

But…the juices itself are just so lame. They are hardly pleasant, interesting or anyhow special. And damn, they really do smell very cheap, in a bad way….Like this, Ambre a Sade.

Just a massive, overly sweet, thick and sticky synthetic strawberry mixed with some fruits and green leaves, placed on a simple and ridiculous vanilla-tonka bed.
    Result is very pink BIG bubblegum ball in your face. Very strong and long lasting.

Comparing this to Pink Sugar which is somewhat similar, the problem is not just the fact that this costs a whole lot more than PS…..But Pink Sugar is also better blended as its not THIS sweet, it is more airy and even luminous, and simply put much more pleasant smelling.

I’ll pass this from a looong way. And listen, this is not a unisex fragrance. Same king of synthetic sweet strawberry candy crap perfumes can be found from anywhere; from girls trendy clothing stores to some obscure market places. 5 euros a bottle.

Bouche Baie by Nez à Nez

Delicious list of notes, no doubt. I wouldn’t make too conclusions out of it, though.

Simply put, Bouche Baie smells quite exactly like a sweet and sticky tutti-frutti lollipop. Believe me that sums it up pretty nicely.

Hopelessly cheap smelling scent for a niche, it smells like a 3 euro fragrance, but I must admit I wouldn’t mind smelling this one on some sweet little sixteen….

zztopp's avatar

L'Oranger Neroli by L'Occitane

*** This review is of the now discontinued Neroli EDP, not the new incarnation ***

Ignoring the mass confusion regarding the name (L'Occitane has various fragrances with some combination of the L'Oranger/Neroli/L'Oranger Neroli moniker), the dark red/golden brown hue of the Neroli EDP certainly is a forebearer of the pocketful of neroli kryptonite resident within the bottle. From the get go, a dense, syrupy accord of neroli unravels on your skin displaying all the characterisitc floral, citrusy and spicy shades of good quality neroli oil. The focus is more on the spicy aspect, with the nose tingling spices in the heart notes (I detect warm, herbaceous coriander) and a woody note morphing the composition into something else. The "woody note" smells a lot like cedar (unless its a petitgrain adulerant, gasp!), and the base (evident after an hour or two) is a tonka and vanilla finish, a respite some may say, after a 'masala neroli on a fire stick' show of the first half.

Neroli EDP seems to be quite moody. The "neroli" half of it satisfies - it does smell like a top shelf neroli note, with a more ravenous "darker" feel thanks to its spicy character, but the second half consisting of a dominant cedary woody note can feel a bit abrasive and scratchy as if the perfumers ran out of budget after blowing their top on a quality neroli ingredient. Wearing more than 3 sprays in warm weather brings forth this mutant cedar note even more, and it threatens to overwhelm the long lasting neroli top note and the decent softer base. Wear it in cooler weather where the stars align: the exotic neroli note dominates, takes the cedar note under its arm, and joins the smooth base to form a moderately unique and enjoyable neroli fragrance. It may be moody, temperamental and display some flaws here and there, but like a hot, rich girlfriend with bad BO and zit or two, you try to make it work.

Rating: 7.25/10.0

lex's avatar

Givenchy pour Homme Blue Label by Givenchy

nice peppery aquatic juice. soo many wears it,

15 February, 2009 (Last Edited: 31st March, 2009)

lex's avatar

Dior Homme Sport (original) by Christian Dior

smells 2 synthetic. smells like i have chemicals on

odysseusm's avatar

Neroli by Czech & Speake

Magnificent! An utterly gorgeous evocation of bitter orange blossom. This is a beautiful woody-floral scent. It seems light, ethereal, even delicate; yet it has depth and substance. It is floral and yet not sweet; certainly it is not heavy and cloying. The ylang ylang gives an interesting, luxurious and earthy note. I like this very much.

Heartwood's avatar

Kadota by Michael Storer

I like how it smells like the entire fig tree-- the leaves, the sap, even the dirt where the over-ripe ones hit the ground before I get to them. It pushes sweetness just a little too far for me (I'm so particular about sweet), but this does lend a mouth-watering effect to the fragrance that reminds me of plucking a fig right off the tree and stuffing it in my mouth. Fig lovers should be very happy.

mnaonbn's avatar

Black Sea by Martine Micallef

To my nose, it starts out smelling of burnt tire mixed with hairspray. Then, it turns into a rather common aquatic. Bottom line: Nothing special.