Fragrance Reviews from February 2009

White Shoulders by Elizabeth Arden

Classic. Identifiable. Lovely. I have worn this often and received more compliments on it than on any other scent, even ones that are more expensive. Whatever it contains seems to match my body chemistry perfectly.

Giorgio by Giorgio Beverly Hills

Smells fabulous in the bottle and on a tester, and then .... on my skin it becomes too sharp and acrid. Can be lovely on others but my skin chemistry and this scent do not match.

Shalimar by Guerlain

When a scent becomes a classic, there's a reason. Heavenly, heady, sensuous, passionate. Most of all, distinctive. When someone near you is wearing Shalimar, you know what it is, you don't think, "Another sweet scent named after a pop star."

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

Too sharp a fragrance for me, but the bottle is beautiful!

Pink by Victoria's Secret

Light and bright in the bottle, and yet on my skin ..... too hard and sharp. Comes off as just another modern scent that seems unremarkable. I cannot imagine this standing the test of time and being worn by anyone 20 years from now.

JohnD's avatar

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

This scent is wayyyy too strong and terrible!

I don't know what people in these reviews have been smoking, but this is not an appealing, even when my own cat sniffed me he backed off and ran off!

Frederik's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Cool Water Woman by Davidoff

Just vile! I hope it's the chemistry doing a trick on me, otherwise it shouid be banned!

monochromatism's avatar

Manoumalia by LesNez

Warm, sweet, and a little bitter. I dig it.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Rose 31 by Le Labo

What I like best about Rose 31 is; it does not try to smell like a real rose. Weird, I know. Like a richly fragrant rose boutonniere, worn by a man, the smell of rose is accompanied by notes of wood and touch of green. Maybe even a touch salty. As this one wears on, the woods are more prominent...and smells like there's cedar in the base. I hate to use the terms 'animalic' or 'musky', as they seem too much. I prefer to say Rose 31 exhibits a slightly mysterious character. Finding myself repeatedly sniffing at my wrist, I have to say it is compelling and interesting. Suprising to see it classified as a masculine ~ for me, it's most definitely unisex! Like Foetidus puts it, "an inspired (masculine) interpretation of rose", for sure!

Les Nuits d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

An interesting take on citrus, and a departure from Eau de Hadrien's mouthwatering, sour, realistic lemon. Les Nuits de Hadrien plays up the mandarin and amber and is quite a bit sweeter than the former fragrance. It also has an interesting spicy, herbal characteristic that makes it more complex. On the other hand, it's direction is not as straightforward so I don't believe it will attract as many adoring fans. Regardless, worth a try.

Eau de New York by Bond No. 9

The dominant notes I get are a lemon and lime accord and some nice woods. It is cool and refreshing. The only complaint I have is that those characteristics don't make it stand out from most of the others in the same genre. I admit, I’ve given thumbs-up to less pleasing fragrances just because they take artistic risks. This one, no. Very safe. So, I give it a qualified thumbs-up and recommend it to lovers of citrus.

Labyrinthe Libertin by Le Prince Jardinier

A complex little fragrance. I'm not sure what to focus on here. What I mistook for galbanum turned out to be boxwood leaves or herbs. At any rate, it has a green component, and yet it remains floral in nature. There is some citrus to it, apparently from a rosewood note. No particular flower stands out, but it is like a garden of flowers, airy and plantlike.

Acqua Viva by Profumum

Lemon lemming. (Sorry, I just had to say that.) This is the same type of juicy, non-sweet, just-squeezed lemon that launched Eau D'Hadrien into popularity. Its a little more herbal and less woody due to the broom flower. Profumum Aqua Viva is a must-try for fans of the Annick Goutal fragrance.

Neroli by Profumum

I started out loving this fragrance because it smells exactly like natural neroli and orange blossom. Neroli is one of my favorite notes, but it can become overwhelming. Ditto orange blossom--even more so. That little flower, in natural absolute, is positively aggressive. Only a small amount will overtake all other florals. It smells almost animalic. So, while I did greatly enjoy this perfume in the outset because it smelled so realistic (and I do belived that a high percentage of naturals are used) it changed radically by the time it dried down and became a bit soapy on me. I have no explanation for that occurrence. It's a complex little fragrance for so few notes. Perhaps it will work better on others.

No. 19 by Chanel

Huge thumbs up.

Greens, roses and powderiness all at once, with a long and sensuous dry-down of musk and oakmoss. (At least in the vintage formulation, which is what I possess and treasure.) The rose shows up throughout the frag's development, so don't expect a fleeting rose note.

Tailored and somewhat formal -- at least to my nose. And yes, it's definitely a first cousin (if not an outright sister) to Cristalle. Also very closely related to Gucci No. 3, and more distantly to Flora Danica.

Great for middle-aged gals, as it's not so "young" as Cristalle can be, nor so matronly as #5 can be (if it's applied with a heavy hand).

Very feminine stuff, in any case -- I only spritz it on occasionally as a "comfort frag" when I'm home alone.

Coral by Neil Morris Fragrances

Fruity, almost effervescent feminine fruitbasket/flowerbomb.

Reminds me somewhat of Dior's Dune pour Femme -- is it the fig here? I guess so.

Warm, innocent floral heart, with a long and soft sandalwood dry-down. ( Unlike foetidus, I pick up on the sandalwood quite a bit during this stage of the frag's development.)

Morris has deemed it unisex, but I don't get that at all. This is VERY femme stuff.

Wears very, very close to the skin, btw -- you'd think this would be a sillage monster, but (at least on me) it's not.

Hindu Grass by Nasomatto

A rich patchouli that (yes, it's true) could easily pass for Red Vetyver's patchouli loving sibling. It's almost as though Red Vetyver had a love child with Fresh's Patchouli Pure. (Don't believe me? Layer them and see what I mean.) I pick up just a hint of rose, too, although Nasomatto won't tell us jacksh-t about the contents.

Awfully expensive stuff, though. As much as I admire both its complexity and its richness and its outstanding longevity, well, I won't likely be buying a bottle of Hindu Grass anytime soon.

Cathedral by Neil Morris Fragrances

Not my cup of tea -- not at all.

I had been expecting a dark and mysterious incense fragrance in the vein of Black Cashmere, or perhaps a bright and cheery incense along the lines of Villoresi's Incensi.

What I got instead here was a real clunker -- a very heavy and (IMHO) poorly constructed beast made mostly of labdanum and smoke. I could occasionally smell the ylang ylang, yes, but it came through smelling very like the charred remnants of a florist's shop after a blazing fire had whipped through.

This, I reckon, is what's left in the bottom of the censer after Mass is over. Thumbs down, indeed.

Dark Season by Neil Morris Fragrances

An unsual mixture of Christmas tree and root beer and patchouli.

Imagine daubing on some old Tabu with its rich root beer notes and its sexy patchouli and then festooning yourself with Christmas tree boughs and cinnamon sticks before heading out for a long walk in a Finnish forest.

Interesting and fairly well blended, but not for everyone.

sucrose's avatar

Turtle Vetiver Exercise 1 by LesNez

If you prefer vetiver as an accent note, this is probably not for you. If, however, you sometimes want to huff vetiver like glue, this is definitely worth trying. I'm in the latter category and I love this stuff. It begins with a big VETIVER bang! Very much like a powerful straight vetiver oil, but with an earthy complexity to it. Then I get a salty, marine-like vibe, as if the vetiver roots were plucked from the earth and now washed up on a shore. Not as harsh, though, as the iodine note in Goutal Vetiver. Over time, a very powerful grapefruit note emerges, which is strange because grapefruit tends to be a topnote and I don't get much citrus in the beginning. As it dries down it reminds me of a darker version of TDC Sel de Vetiver. I find vetiver very relaxing, and this is practically aromatherapy. I don't mean that as a criticism though -- here the simplicity seems deliberate, and I don't think I could get the same powerful effect by simply dabbing on vetiver oil.

NYCBoy's avatar

Mauboussin by Mauboussin

I agree with purplebird7 that this fragrance is reminiscent of, but different from, Chanel's Coco EDP. I also agree with ubuandibeme that it may be considered unisex. Men should try it and see what they think. The sillage and longevity are impressive. Overall it is a very enjoyable oriental.

SirSlarty's avatar

Animale Azul by Animale Parfums

Whoa! A Cool Water type clone that's actually amazing? Azul is certainly a really strong, bright and aromatic fougere. It still smells wonderful after 4 hours. I think it gets better as it dries down. The start is very heavy and a tad messy but it develops into a sweeter, more citrusy version of Cool Water minus the slight metallic smell. Gets a little woody towards the end but overall, a good alternative to Cool Water if you desire something a little stronger and heavier for the same price.

SirSlarty's avatar

Incanto pour Homme Essential by Salvatore Ferragamo

Very light and minimal spiced violet leaves on a faint cedarwood base. Only downside it the longevity and that's a huge problem with this one. If you don't like violet leaves (like Curve, Dunhill Fresh, Narciso Rodriguez for Him, etc.), don't expect much from this as Incanto Essntial is mostly violet leaves done incredibly light and green.

Bigsly's avatar

Kretek by Ava Luxe

Kretek is a powerful clove/tobacco. However, it is "soft." Some might find it medicinal, especially at first. After wearing it a while, you get used to it though, and it's almost like being in a smoke shop. Longevity and sillage are excellent (I only used one spray and people around me were telling me how strong it was). It doesn't have much else going on, so I can see how some would say that it's not a "perfume," really. Nothing animalic, floral, citrus, etc., so if you are looking for balance and dynamism, you may want to look elsewhere. I'll give it a positive rating due to it's longevity/sillage and because if this is what you seek, you will be satisfied. I will likely use it for layering mostly.

Sybarite's avatar

Private Collection - Bois de Copaïba by Parfumerie Generale

I'm a guy and find it wearable. So would say that it's correctly labeled as a unisex scent. However, I can also understand where some men might not be too comfortable doing so, as it leans heavily toward the feminine at the start. Then slowly becomes more "virile" towards the heart and drydown. Yet always remains sensual and intoxicating. Bois de Copaiba opens with a blast of sweet and totally delicious accord. A crystalised orange pulp accord but never "reads" as citrusy, at all. This is probably because of the added spicy ginger and boozy, almondy amaretto notes. This combination is very heady and almost has the same quality as the gorgeous whiffs from night blooming flowers, one gets wafting in the breeze, when out walking in the early evening in the tropics. It is a rich and opulent scent, almost reminiscent of a touch of honeysuckle. ... Then it gets even better when the sensual balsamic warmth of the Copahu resin slightly darkening the heart of the fragrance. On my skin this scent lasts and lasts, and by the time I get to the maginficent drydown, I'm in ecstacy. The Opoponax (sweet myrrh) rears it's head, lying amongst a creamy bed of Sandalwood and Mahogany woods. The whole scent has the real "feel" of a classic scent from a bygone age. Pierre Guillaume does it once again. For me, there are no duds amongst his entire, perfect collection. Every single one is worthy of investigation, at very least.

Paco Sweet's avatar

Mexico Mexico

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

Le Male !!!!

Is a wonderful perfume. A magisterial contrast: Power and smoothness, and freshness and warmth.
    Le Male begins very masculine, but evolves towards a base very feminine, very sweet, sensual and erotic.

Le Male is a masterpiece !!!!

Thank you very much Francis Kukdjian.

Paco Sweet's avatar

Mexico Mexico

Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

Live Jazz is a very boring perfume.

Good freshness, but vey spicy y very aggressive.

A great disappointment.

Simply a bad perfume.

AnimaSola's avatar

PS by Paul Sebastian

Compared to some of the outlandish colognes for men out there today, this smells ultra-refined. I don't understand some of the vitriol and diatribe against this fragrance by other reviewers. It is not saccharine or fetid, and it does not smell dated. Perhaps after smelling every fruit note and arcane outre essence imaginable, one's nose is no longer attuned to what an honest and singular men's fragrance should be. Smart and genteel without pretense or apologies, is what PS is.

xXjEnNyXx's avatar

Cheap and Chic I Love Love by Moschino

I love love C&C reminds me of D&G Light Blue. IMO, these scents are very similar almost exactly alike (I was asked on several occasions while wearing I love love, if I was wearing Light Blue). I really like both scents LB and I Love Love. It is a very clean/ citrus smelling scent. I find it very refreshing when I put it on. It's not overpowering and it is very light. This seems to wear off after 2-3 hours so I have to re-apply several times throught the day. I love love smells very similar to Light Blue IMO...I would rather buy I love love because it is much cheaper than Light Blue and the staying power power is about the same. It is a fresh, clean, citrus scent that smells really good.

Apicius's avatar

Germany Germany

Bandit by Robert Piguet

Although marketed as a lady's perfume, the topnotes strongly resemble the scent of Trussardi Uomo. However, after a few minutes the musk takes over and provides a more conventional style.

Like so many others, this is a deceiver. If you test it, do not buy on first sniff, but give it some time to develop