Fragrance Reviews from March 2009

TaraYvonne's avatar

Twilight by Hot Topic

My son wanted to buy this for his little girlfriend, who is twelve and a fan of the books and movie. The first thing she did was spray everyone in sight when he gave it to her. First off, the bottle is a blatant rip off of the new Nina Ricci bottle. Only worse, cheaper plastic top and quite poorly made. Second thing I thought was, oh my gosh-lavender on crack! Harsh, very herbal and blech over the top LAVENDER of the worst kind. Later I sniffed my shirt again where the kid had blasted me. And I found it to be...pretty. Yes I said it, it wasn't half bad. Kind of like aromatics elixir harsh. A little medicinal, herbal and really different. Very unisex. So I guess my thought is, there will be a lot of teeny-boppers prancing around smelling a little better than Brittany Spears or Paris Hilton after all. At least it isn't an "I love candy" scent. After you get past the initial super funk blast, it settles down into something relatively nice.

Phil Cape's avatar

South Africa South Africa

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I'm scared of this fragrance. It's like a very sexy but abusive lover: addictive and repulsive in equal measure. It is a terrible bully and whenever I wear it I feel overpowered by it. I worry that it is too strong and may offend those around me and so I'm selfconscious about it. And for once the amazing longevity is unwelcome - after a few hours I start to feel sick when I smell it on myself.

When I first tested it in a store I loved it. Enough to buy a bottle. Which I am using very slowly... just to prove I'm not a total wimp and also to enjoy the dazzling, spicy opening. I do tend to wash it off after a while though.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

Eau des Merveilles by Hermès

I was given a bottle of this by someone and can tell that if you are considering buying this, save your money or put it towards a scent with a little more substance. There is absolutely nothing that sets this scent apart from anything else that's being offered in department stores. It had some smell on paper, but I don't know where it disappeared to once it hit skin. Needless to say there was almost no sillage and what little there was, was pretty boring. If all you're looking for is a light, lemony, but non-descript scent for summer than this could fit the bill.

bbBD's avatar

De Sade by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

Purports to be pure leather, but in reality is a smoky, dark vetiver surrounded by leather notes. The vetiver is unique and very enjoyable. I'd love to write more, but with respect to the BPAL fragrances (of which this is the first I've reviewed), I think it's best to just get out a few notes about it to fill the gap where there is no info at all.

bbBD's avatar

Greed by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

Greed is a very pleasant, nuanced fragrance that contains patchouli balanced with heliotrope, and the drydown has an earthy/woodiness that is not entirely unlike Parfumerie Generale's Bois Blonde. There is a distinctively leathery quality to Greed, and the fragrance manages to balance woody and sweet notes excellently. Good stuff.

macgiles's avatar

T for Him by Tommy Hilfiger

One of my most loved - bright and crisp, very zesty. Cold drink on a hot night. Staying power on me was good - 5-7 hours.

Myspunge's avatar

England England

Le Temps d'Une Fête by Nicolaï

Daddy, what is a big girl’s blouse ?” “Here, Junior, let me spray this in your eyes and then you’ll see.” Now, that daddy was a bad daddy, not only in his pedagogic methods and weakness for cruel puns but also in his inferior perfumistadom, for this fragrance is loaded with galbanum and therefore, like Insensé, its older, wiser and cheaper sister, is not gurly at all but rippling with taut sensitivity like my thighs. The first spray is a magic sparkly powder straight out of Disney but then it settles back into a buttered-up Chamade with a similar gestalt of dangerous honey. It comes to rest somewhere wonderful, moss with the sweetness of broom or gorse (but not exactly gorse with its coconut warmth). And finally, it is just the right scent for this precocious spring because it reeks of narcissus and narcissi are in season now, the wafty little darlings with their pert faces and dirty undertow. The best of this line.

NebraskaLovesScent's avatar

Armani Privé Bois d'Encens by Giorgio Armani

I was lucky enough to score a refill bottle of Armani Privé Bois d'Encens at a discount store. No lovely wooden box with the little stone on top, but even the refill bottle has simple, elegant packaging that looks nice on a dresser top. I would certainly not have paid the ridiculous retail price for a bottle in the wooden container. The perfume is good, but it's not that good!

For such a simple composition,Bois d'Encens really has a lot going on. I espeically love the dry wood overtone. It comes on very peppery, like the fresh-ground stuff from the pepper mill, but those notes fade quickly to a warm, dry, sawdust and incense aroma. Definitely unisex, but I admit that I like the scent of this on my husband's skin better than I like it on mine. I get no sweetness at all from this one when either of us wears it.

The sillage is good. My husband was looking around the room to see if I was burning incense before he figured out the source of this lovely aroma, ha ha! Alas, the persistance is just so-so, as some have already noted. It is barely detectible after two hours, and a faint lingering trace of frankincense was all that remained four hours after application.

xmen's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Lauder for Men by Estée Lauder

Super macho scent. Starts off very strongly (I do get a little woozy sniffing the top notes). It settles down pretty nicely to a subdued herbaceous drydown. Outstanding sillage, pretty average longevity but I will give this a thumb up for daring to be different.

xmen's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Sud Est by Romeo Gigli

I wasn't impressed with this highly praised Gigli scent. I find it pleasantly herbaceous with average sillage and a rather mild medicinal smell. Another case of high expectation that was not met.

sammyo's avatar

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Really excellent. New chemical-soaked paper and thick permanent markers (of the old-school variety that still had that funny smell), burnt rubber, a variety of animal scents (musk, leather, and the horsey smell), iris and vanilla. This is somehow about the sexiest most addictive combination out there. One of the few scents I know that is truly a bit dangerous (though it is mostly my phsychology that is affected by it, not the psychology of those around me).

sammyo's avatar

Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa by Acqua di Parma

Opening: the lemon on opening is to me more reminiscent of something like Eau Sauvage than the citrus in Colonia. For me, this is the start of a scent that is not an experiement based on Colonia (as Assoluta is) but a different scent, albeit in a similar genre. The ginger is faint but a nice subtle balance to the lemon. So far, so fine but nothing too exciting.

Unlike Assoluta, the citrus does not hang around for long and the scent very quickly becomes all about Myrtle. This white floral heart is really like a softer version of so many generic feminine fragrances. It is balanced first by a slightly harsh woody base and then by the Bergamot (or is it the Neroli?), which is again quite faint and really plays second-fiddle to the Myrtle.

The next stage is Intensa at its most appealing. The woody scents are much fuller here (there is a clear and noticeable variety of wood smells, described accurately enough in the pyramid as lignum vitae, cedarwood and smoky woods) and the musk and leather are introduced very nicely, tending at times towards being slightly powdery but with enough restraint that this will appeal to those who like powdery scents but will not bother in the slightest those who find powdery smells a little unappealing. The patchouli is also very well harmonised with the leather and incense smells but sometimes it catches you in quite a stark way. Although a little dry, this is done very well indeed.

Overall, I really am impressed with the drydown here. But the Myrtle in the middle really irritates me. It ends up being very masculine for an AdP and is deliberately intended to be so. But it starts off smelling so feminine. Why? Why?

The other thing is that this scent is just not compatible with other AdP products. So whereas Assoluta could be worn with Colonia shaving cream and moisturiser, there is not the same match between Colonia and Intensa.

I think I'll stick with Assoluta.

23 March, 2009 (Last Edited: 03 November, 2009)

Essija's avatar

Prada (original) by Prada

Love it
    Warm Creamy blend of patchouli, amber and vanilla can't go wrong with this scent
    Lots of compliments

aithlon's avatar

Francesco Smalto pour Homme by Francesco Smalto

I love this fragrance ..........I only discovered it about six months ago as a blind purchase on shopping TV of all places and have to say I was plesantly surprised ....................it has a lovely fresh opening which turns to a very plesant green fragrance ......not to strong but with great staying power ........ highly recomended buy if you can find it as it is unfortunatly discontinued

sjohnjay's avatar

L'Anarchiste by Caron

I find this to be absolutely amazing. I do not understand other peoples' assertion that this in any way cryptic or "vampire-like". Mostly a gourmand/spice scent. I smell apple pie and an assortment of herbs; no "pools of blood". No copper odor coming from the perfume, per se; I do smell copper when I sniff the outside of the bottle. Maybe because I have a brand-new bottle. I find that this morphs through a plethora of stages (and often reverts back to some of those stages), given the climate/temperature, as well as state of mind. The longevity is very mediocre.

23 March, 2009 (Last Edited: 27 October, 2009)

1881 by Cerruti

A pleasing, leafy green fragrance, that never quite scales the heights it wants to. The strong green opening recedes very quickly into a dry, musky presence akin to Paco Rabanne. Being such a linear construction, it never allows itself to develop beyond its bright opening, and seems keen stay out of the limelight. It simply lacks the depth and the audacity to hold its own anymore.

Obsession Night for Men by Calvin Klein

A pleasant if unexciting addition to the Klein stable. The opening is slightly sweet and playful, giving the brief illusion that this will be delightfully subtle and light. Sadly, after an interesting beginning, this drifts into the middle notes without the addition of anything worthy of note. The restraint of the Vanilla in the base ensures that there is no cloying sweetness in the drydown, but the base lacks the necessary boldness of some potent ingredients to give it the necessary depth. I see little connection with the original Obsession, which although not to my taste, certainly had some originality. Obsession Night seems pointless to me.

Versace pour Homme by Versace

A briefly beautiful, but ultimately disappointing attempt at an aquatic style fragrance. I enjoyed the top notes enormously, it is awash with sweet, crisp notes you yearn for when sampling something new. They linger a surprising long time, but when they are finally engulfed by the hollow fusion of Geranium and Cedarwood, the magic has gone. A couple of hours in, and this has become a monotonous bore. I am tempted to give this a thumbs up for the top notes alone, but sadly the rest of the experience negates any initial pleasures I derived.

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

This has a gloriously juicy and rich opening, which unsurprisingly for fragrances of this type, lasted about an hour. Akin to Paco Rabanne One Million, but better formulated and less pugnacious. If it had managed to maintain some of the spirit of the opening I would have been delighted. As it was, three hours in , and my wrist was conspicuously devoid of any evidence that anything had been applied there. This is all head, and no shoulders.

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Hugo Element by Hugo Boss

Very light, doesn't last long. Completely unimpressive.

23 March, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th February, 2010)

paulj's avatar

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I've tried Green Irish Tweed a handful of times now. Each time I try it, it's because of all the positive reviews I read here; they make me feel like I'm missing something.

So time and time again I try it, and time and time again I am disappointed. I somehow cannot enjoy this, and I do not "get" it.

The opening is mediocre. The first few hours I find myself awash in something I can only describe as half-soap, half-stuffiness. The ambergris or "Creed House Note", whatever it is -- that note you often hear either lauded or lambasted -- dominates during this time. I'll concede this could be my skin chemistry ruining it for me.

After about the two hour mark I start to enjoy this immensely. By now the Creed house note has fallen into the background, and I'm left with what I can best describe as a really beautiful variation of Irish Spring soap, unfortunately at this point it's too weak and the sillage is gone.

Lovely drydown, but the rollercoaster ride to get to it just puts me off too much.

AnonymousNose's avatar

Black Orchid by Tom Ford

This is what I imagine that a fairy would wear. Not a cartoon, Disney-Princess fairy with glitter and sparkles, but the true-to-its-origins, mischievious, elven, seductive,woodland creature - fluttering around up to no good.
    The opening smells, to my nose, like fresh mushrooms and room-temperature sangria that's been out all night. I then smell earth and dirt, and rich, dark, dry cocoa powder. The musty, boozey, fruits linger as the mushrooms and dirt loosen up to reveal incense-like lotus that almost smells like it's sprinkled with tart,juicy, cassis. After awhile, this softens into a resinous vanilla/incense/sandalwood/musky dry down, which sounds quite commonplace in fragrance, but it's very well executed - rich, creamy, and seductive.
    Funny the other reviewers got notes of fig and "wet wool", there are moments reminiscent of those smells, as well, although I think that the "wet wool" is what I interpret as dirt and earth and the fig notes may very well be the association of cassis with fig, which are often paired together.
    Dirty? Yes. Raunchy? Perhaps. Wearable? You bethchya, but maybe not for everyone, and that's okay.
    As I always say, when I smell a fragrance, I want it to capture my imagination or even scent-memory in some way, and Black Orchid does just that - and I can say this with confidence and without bias because I am not necessarily a "Tom Ford fan".

Elgar Place's avatar

Himalaya by Creed

Himalaya is a beautifully constructed fragance that is sophisticated, warm, and sexy. I detected very little citrus in it, but a light, sweet spice note that made the frag a pleasure to wear from start to finish.

Himalaya reminds me of a refined, luxurious, subtle version of JOHN VARVATOS. While JV can be pretty harsh and medicinal at times (especially if over applied), Himalaya however remains soft and soothing, a gentle glow of a fragrance to be contemplated and savored. Worth the price . . . .

sfmedusa's avatar

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique

I really quite like the individuality of this perfume. It's green and woody and normally the sort of thing I like in a perfume and it's definitely not another 'smell alike' clone of so many other perfumes, but I'm afraid that nothing in the world could get me to wear it again.

On me, this is so strong (even a little bit of it) that on the one occasion I was silly enough to apply it rather than sniff it from the bottle I was physically sick and ended up with a migraine for 3 days afterwards. No matter what I did I couldn't wash it off either.

I'm sure that there must be some people who Aromatics Elixir suits, and for those people it's probably a signature scent for which they get lots of feedback, but it's not for me.

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

It smells like chocolate chip cookie dough, sugar and lipstick. It smells so sweet it actually makes my teeth hurt.

Also, it has the silage, power and longevity of skunk musk. I have actually smelled this scent from 50 feet away on a very windy day.

Trying this on was the single worst scent experience I have ever had and I do not understand why people like a scent like this which I can only easily describe as absurdly offensive.

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Maybe this scent is a great example of skin chemistry but I think it's a clear example of how noses smell things differently. I smelled like exactly what I smelled on the card. Fast Orange Industrial Cleaner. It was over powering and it was the only note I got from this cologne. Not saying it's a smell I hate, it's just not how I want to smell. It certainly is not classy.

On the other hand, my girlfriend didn't mind it. She said it smelled citrusy but had a hint of something earthy and fresh. She didn't particularly care for it compared to other colognes I wear though.

I know a lot of people like this one but I do not think it's skin chemistry that makes it different from person to person. I think a lot of people smell this one differently, so having someone think I smell like rotting oranges on a park bench, cigarettes, dirt, gasoline or bug spray is not a gamble I really want to take. If this is what you decide to wear, you will smell like industrial strength cleaning solvent to me, and I don't think skin chemistry has anything to do with that.

He Wood by Dsquared2

I didn't smell cedar or any kind of wood. I smelled something soapy that I couldn't quite put my finger on, but it was powerful and it made me kind of nauseous. Luckily, it wore off fairly quickly.

JimHeckel's avatar

24, Faubourg by Hermès

I smelled this when it first came out, in a department store in the late 1990s. Beautiful - I obviously can't wear it, as I'm a man, but I still love smelling this one.

JimHeckel's avatar

1752 by Caswell-Massey

This one is actually pretty good. Yes, the top note is more than a little rank, hence the Neutral rating. But wait an hour and it settles down to something rich and nice. I keep a bottle in my bedroom, and use it every day.

flarepaul's avatar

Catalyst for Men by Halston

I picked up a bottle of this based on the reviews here on the site. It was actually the thumbs-down review that "this smells like something you'd put on a ham" that clinched me wanting to try it out. And I am glad that I did. I love rum type scents, this one certainly has some rum, but more than that is the nutmeg note. I've gotten many complements from women (& men) wondering what that scent is.

On a side note, I thought the bottle looked kinda silly in the photos, but when I opened the box and put it on my bathroom counter it's very apothecary/scientist bottle that elixers and experiments would be made with.