Fragrance Reviews from March 2009

manicboy's avatar

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

The jig is up on this one. Does not resemble the female version in any way. Smells like shower water, and that's the best thing I can say. In a word, dreadful.

Agent Provocateur by Agent Provocateur

Oh! I adore this perfume! It is so unusual. I bought it scent unsmelled and i am thrilled!

It comes, as one can see, in a pink "hand grenade". You have to "pull the pin" (remove the black ribbon) to spray it. And it begins with a blast!

It hit me with an intensity of woods and spices - very NOT sweet, very NOT floral. Modern and edgy, complex and sophisticated, adult and confident. Definitely not for the timid or conventional, not for little old ladies or mall rats. A strong and unexpected blend of saffron, coriander, cedar, and vetiver. There was also something salty there, and i swear i could also smell jatamansi / spikenard.

Very gradually the flowers began to emerge, peeking around the woods and spices. No one floral scent stood out clearly. As they got stronger, they remained a general rich floral tone beneath the woods and spices, softening them, but not taking their place, joined by an undercurrent of animal scent. Many contemporary perfumes use far too much musk, but this has exactly the right amount.

Even after dry-down, the scent remained as it had been once the florals and musk joined in. "Agent Provocateur" also has good staying power.

It is a relief to get a very contemporary perfume that doesn't smell like little girl candy, fruit salad, and vanilla. I want to smell special, not like a dessert table. Agent Provocateur definitely doesn't smell like any other perfume i've tried and i am so glad!

I haven't felt this excited about a perfume in a long time. If i could, i would give it MORE than 5 stars and MORE than one thumb up.

Tricorn by Caswell-Massey

I recently bought the little sample pack of Caswell-Massey's men's colognes for my friend, since he wants a scent to go along with his new fashion style. It's a good deal, since it contains 5 classics.

Tricorn is his favorite. It has an aroma of sandalwood with spices and a hint of florals. It is *very* sweet, probably too much vanilla. It's not particularly sophisticated, but not unpleasant.

I'm happy he likes it It's too sweet and simple for my taste, but, hey, i'm not wearing it. And it isn't bad, just not outstanding or as complex as i prefer. I think i'd like it more if the sandalwood was stronger and the overall scent was woodier and less vanilla or whatever is giving it its sweetness.

CB93 by CB I Hate Perfume

This is Christopher Brosius's re-invention of the classic men's eau de cologne, back when that term represented a very specific blend of aromatics. They tend to be citrusy, herbal, and light.

CB's has a strong base lacking from the classics. It surprised me with its intensity and its deep heaviness. But i like that. Mmm-mmm-mmm.

Regis Philbin's avatar

Coney Island by Bond No. 9

Amazingly fresh and gourmand scent. It starts off with a bitter lemon note - much like REAL freshly squeezed lemon juice. It stays pretty linear throughout, but after a little bit I get a faint caramel smell. Some people can't pick up the note... I smell it though. It's a sweet lemon/caramel type dry down that I absolutely love. I want to eat it!

jathanas's avatar

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

This stuff is hugely overrated!
    I bought a bottle based on the glowing reviews of LAdDM and boy was I in for a surprise! Tauer seems to have a common base for all his products and it just doesn't work for me, too harsh. That's not to say that I liked the topnotes either all I get is incense and... a turpentine like accord which others might call citrus. Not for me.

rlbeaty8's avatar

Scandal by Lanvin

On my right wrist I have Scandal, just unsealed from cello,box, and bottle. Top notes still evident, unlike the wondrous goo at the bottom of most vintage bottles. On my left wrist I have vintage Crepe de Chine: they smell similar, initially, having many common components, although the leather in Scandal is much more prominent, making it sultry and far superior. Crepe de C. has a carnation note, making it a spicy floral chypre with a leather angle. Scandal defines the genre of floral leather chypre.

Merbert's avatar

Sandringham by Crown Perfumery

Dirty doings in the library! Has our gent brought in a lady of questionable background? To me, Sandringham is like a member of the upper crust slumming in his own heavily wood-paneled manor. This is most bitter of all the Crowns, topping Eau de Quinine or even the face-slapping Esterhazy. Do I detect quinine amidst the herbs and wood? There is definitely a non-citrus bitter component that performs a great balancing act with the sweetness.

I love to occasionally wear Sandringham for a bit of shock value. On a woman, it's twice as in-your-face as on a man.

Kaern's avatar

Nuits de NoHo by Bond No. 9

Cripes! -- I thought this was unisex at least, bordering on the masculine side. I call it 'Pineapple Noir'. It definitely gives off a darkish ambery vibe in the drydown, almost resinous (must be the patchouli). The pineapple sticks around all through the phases on me and mixes brilliantly with the other notes. Longevity and sillage are very good and I love it to bits.

Kaern's avatar

Chez Bond by Bond No. 9

You have to admit that this is a straight rip of Green Irish Tweed, I hate GIT so I hate this a little bit more for it's laziness.

ZeeK's avatar

Not Lasting
    No Silage at all
    Very very close to skin
    High Price

A Neutral that is close to Negative for SJ-Unforgivable!

ZeeK's avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

Wings by Police

Police Wings is an inexpensive perfume but a worthy choice to indulge you in a modern and unique character. I wore it in the winter and it goes perfect with the season. Longevity is good while it has silage that emits flashes in surrounding. For romantic and casual wear!

Composition is Lemon (with some polite bitterness), Coriander, Apple blossom, Violet Leaves; Heart is Woody and Spicy mix with the hint of Floral; Base includes well kept Musky notes with Tonka Bean.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

Narcisse Noir by Caron

This review is for the vintage EDT and Parfum. As a person who does not particularly care for florals, I have to say that Narcisse Noir deserves its reputation as the femme fatale of all florals. While the opening can be a little sharp, it immediately settles into something that's creamy sweet, yet simultaneously smouldering with dark sensuality. Its innocence can't quite hide the animalic aggression that lies beneath it and this creates the kind of tension that I thought Fracas would have, but didn't. I'm smitten and I swoon every time I catch a whiff of it. Ernest Daltroff was a genious and it's a shame that the newest reformulation (which I tried) didn't stay true to his original vision. I had the hardest time getting my hands on the vintage parfum, but was glad I did. But if you can't manage to get the original parfum, the vintage EDT can be found ocassionally on ebay and it smells as great as the parfum. Grab either if you get the chance.

Ms Rochambeau's avatar

Bellodgia by Caron

This review is the vintage Bellodgia. I was a little disappointed by this one. It's a floral based on carnation, but has none of the sweet spicy-ness that carnation usually brings to a scent, and that dark, mysterious Caron base that I love seems to be missing. This smells like a bouquet of carnations that have been sitting in a vase of water for a little too long...a little sour. When I referred to one of my books to see what the top, heart and base notes are I realized that there is nothing in there that would have brought the note of slight sweetness it needed, so instead it ends up being a kind of bitter and flat floral without balance. I've found that layering flat, unsweet scents like this with just a little L'artisan's Ambre Extreme can somtimes round things out a little more.

UPDATE: I'm glad the editing feature is working again because I'm on my knees begging vintage Bellodgia to forgive me. I have to change my rating from a neutral to a THUMBS UP. What I've discovered in buying vintage bottles of perfume that have never been opened is that what you smell when you first remove the gold wire and the stopper, is often very different from the true smell of the perfume that will come if you wait a while (for the molecules to adjust...or something). I now let the perfume set a week or so (with the stopper on, of course) before I judge it. I don't know, maybe it's the same principle as allowing a wine to breathe a bit before tasting it. I just know that when I finally tried Bellodgia again it was one of the most richy layered floral scents I've ever smelled and that dark Caron base IS there. In my opinion Bellodgia is as seductive, mysterious and complex as Narcisse Noir, but a litlle more melancholy.

27th March, 2009 (Last Edited: 19th July, 2009)

Larwiz's avatar

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

What I don't understand is why so many sales associates are so willing to recommend this when gucci pour homme 2 is in the midst. GPH 2 is amazing. This isn't. I don't get this, nor do I get GPH 1. Envy I get. If you want Gucci's finest offerings, go with GPH2 and Envy.

RubenC's avatar

Cuir Mauresque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This has a uniquely sweet floral leather scent, if that makes any sense, that remains on me throughout the day. I wish it had more smoke and spice but I guess my Ph reacts differently. I don't hate it, but I'm not really sold on it either.
    This definitely has strong longevity, a plus for anyone wanting to get there money's worth. A distinctive scent to be sure.

dynendal's avatar

La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I am a gigantic fan of L'Homme - it's still my girlfriend's favourite. I really wanted something along the same lines, but darker. And YSL has delivered.

It's gourmand, it's tobacco, it's floral, and it's citrusy all at the same time. It almost reminds me of raspberry - sour, sweet, a broad flavour, whereas the original L'Homme was simply sour and sweet like an orange (but complemented by the ginger.)

I'm a big fan of Dior Homme and if I smell really hard, I can almost smell it. It's great that YSL is taking notice of big successes like DH, and adding their own spin to it.

The longevity and sillage is also much more impressive than the original. I think they've listened to our complaints.

DawnLady's avatar

Lyric Woman by Amouage

This is a lovely, slightly sharp, spicy rose fragrance. Very elegant and high quality. It stays quite close to the skin on me, and lasts reasonable well, though nowhere near as long as Gold and Dia unfortunately. Definitely recommended to all lovers of rose fragrances.

xmen's avatar

Singapore Singapore

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

M7 is way ahead of its time. The most misunderstood and maligned perfume by YSL. Who's afraid of agarwood and mandrake root? Well, I was many years ago and recalled with horror at my first initiation to M7. How can a perfume smells so thick and unpleasant. Many years later, through M7 fresh, I have returned to confront the original juice. My god, either my sense of smell has got more sophisticated or M7 is an extraordinary scent which I didn't understand and appreciate until now. Either way, M7 oozes class and sophistication. It is so, so good.

Bartlebooth's avatar

Worth pour Homme by Worth

A slightly austere, but deeply satisfying example of masculine cleanliness.The opening is astringent, strident and delightfully crisp. The presence of lavender and rosemary lend a distinct edge to this stage, a necessarily bold statement that sets the tone for the whole experience. It softens gradually during its lifespan and after a couple of hours this is something to cherish. In its design, this fragrance is a classic fougere, but it's real quality lies in the simplicity of the execution. There are powdery characteristics on my skin akin to Paco Rabanne and Cerutti 1881, but in my view neither of these two have quite the finish and understated class of Worth Pour Homme. The sillage is on the exroverted side of contained, and the longevity is substantial, the morning application lasting some eight hours on a cool Spring day.

27th March, 2009 (Last Edited: 25th November, 2009)

Bartlebooth's avatar

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

A rather sickly fruit punch, that simply never dies. Like eating too much chocolate, this has the capacity for extreme nausea. The dominant accord is reminiscent of blackcurrant cordial,and being so very linear, its monotony is mind numbing. Sadly, the longevity is immense, lasting well into the wee hours. Why such unwieldy concoctions find there way onto the market place is beyond me

Sunnyfunny's avatar

Féminité du Bois by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

My skin has a way of rendering Serge Lutens fragrances unspectacular at best.  And so, as I applied FdB this morning, it said something like "Oop-- this just turned into a Serge!  You lose!"  and proceeded to completely destroy this so highly praised fragrance.  I immediately got cumin.  Yes, cumin, and so unwilling was this cumin to share the stage of my inner wrist with its fellow accords that I was grateful for its complete lack of sillage.

I should say here that I am very much a fan of a 'clean' fragrance. Cumin at any point renders a fragrance unwearable to me, even if it is providing a bed for fragrant, sensuous flowers, as it does in Kingdom. For this particular fragrance to turn so sweaty on me was very surprising, especially since for its duration, that was all I got; singular cumin.

FdB stayed very close to my skin and then *poof* it was gone before the four hour mark by which I judge a fragrance as being worthy.
    A little bummed and unsated, I reapplied when I got home, and this time it was a little bit very soft fruit and incense. That dirty little cumin note was still there, but had learned to share during the course of the day. My husband smelled pine tree hanging from a rear view mirror, the first time woods even entered the equation. And this time....the stuff didn't last an hour.

Ivorywaters's avatar

Cheap and Chic I Love Love by Moschino

This is my absolute favorite perfume! I love the citrus quality and the longevity of the scent is incredible. The drydown is superb and I can't stop smelling the card! Ahh! I LOVE this scent!

technojinn's avatar

Polo Double Black by Ralph Lauren

This is a very nice fragrance. A clean, slightly exotic scent. Very good day to day cologne. This is one of my favorites.

Chrome by Azzaro

On my skin, as others have mentioned, is a chemical mess. I can't make out anything fresh or citrus like at all in this scent. Maybe I got an old bottle... With all these great reviews, I cannot believe what I smell is so awful.

Eau de Cartier by Cartier

I don't feel like I could pull this off. The only notes I pick up on, are of the flowery type in this fragrance. Its a nice scent, very mellow, smooth, and confident... But not for me. I'd associate it slightly more feminine than masculine. Still, I give it a thumbs up for being a pleasant scent.

Lacoste (original) by Lacoste

To me, this just smells like a fancy deodorant. This scent brought me back to the locker room in high school. If you mixed all the deodorants (old spice, speed stick etc.), I would imagine coming up with something like this. Its nothing amazing, at the same time I would wear it if I had nothing else to wear. Middle of the road here, to my nose anyway...

lilly m.'s avatar

DKNY Be Delicious Men by Donna Karan

A little headache inducing and quite synthetic. Strangely I don't really dislike it, I just can't stand it on me.

Winona's avatar

Thailand Thailand

Allure Eau de Toilette by Chanel

Absolutely agree with the most opinions! ;(((

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Aroma d'Orange Verte by Hermès

Not as sharp an opening as Eau d'Orange Verte.
    This one's very light and smooth.
    However, longevity, as usual, sucks big time.
    I really must use the search feature to find that trick of using unscented lotion to make frags last longer, or bite the bullet and get the Concentree version--which everyone agrees lasts much longer---though not everyone agrees that it is as good as the original.

28th March, 2009 (Last Edited: 16th June, 2009)