Fragrance Reviews from April 2009

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

Great summer after shave.

It's a citrus EDC so the longevity is not the greatest. The Verbena-- or if you pay full price at a retailer, Vervain-- opening might feel strange to those who are used to Lemon Blasts as the citric norm. I like it. The combination of heart and base is well done. The rose does not overpower. No single note calls attention to itself.

AdP does have enormous snob appeal.

Perhaps we can get the economy going if banks offered a bottle of AdP to each new depositor who plunks down 100k or more?
    I mean, do you really need another pocket calculator?

Hell, we could even bribe an archeologist to discover a scroll written in Etruscan that 'proves' that AdP, far from being created in 1916, was in fact the staple of the first Kings of Rome---Hey, we've all heard weirder schemes on the news.

Just a thought.

01st April, 2009 (Last Edited: 16 June, 2009)

zenpiper's avatar

Jovan White Musk for Men by Jovan

1992 was a good year for fragrances. Jovan White Musk was launched, as was Creed's Erolfa: two very fine creations.

I remember smelling the women's version of JWM and liking it a lot. For some reason I thought the men's version would be similar, but with a bit less sweetness. I was wrong. It's got a *little* musk in it, but other elements which soften and add complexity. It's a lovely scent. My only gripe (and it is small) is that it doesn't last long on me. But it's lovely, and my girl friends all like it. This is not a formal fragrance, though I suppose it could be. It's perfect for a party or a casual date.

01st April, 2009 (Last Edited: 11th April, 2009)

odysseusm's avatar

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

In my opinion, this is a waste of potentially great ingredients. Corrections and additions to fragrance notes -- medjool date fruit (not separate ingredients), mediterranean herbs are lavender, myrtle and rosemary, Indian ajowan is a herb reportedly giving thyme and oregano notes, only one vanilla as a CO2 extract, the balsams are combined with myrrh and benzoin, eaglewood may be something like oud, auramber is likely a synthetic note. So as we see, potentially a great green herbal-spice brew. (all of this from the excellent JV website)
    Instead, this essentially is a cloying, ambery-vanilla stew, with headache-inducing qualitites. The top and mid notes are pretty good, though very brief. The greens are fresh and interesting, and the wood/incense is appealing. Then the dreaded heavies and sweeties kick in, and it’s scrubbin’ time! The drydown has an unpleasant note I often find with very synthetic ambers, it is a kind of detergent/amber combination that is extremely irritating.

EarNoseThroat's avatar

Polo Modern Reserve by Ralph Lauren

A Flawless masterpiece! Much props to Carlos Benaim and Ralph Lauren!

Mimosa by Czech & Speake

It's dirty. It's soapy. It's weird. It's Czech and Speake's interpretation of mimosa.

I'm giving thumbs down to this, but in all honesty it's not bad. It's something unique, and its longevity and sillage are quite good. I just can't picture me, or for that matter, anyone, wanting to smell like this. It reminds me of too many public washrooms I have known.

Black Aoud by Montale

Well-made, but uninspiring to my nose. Perhaps I'm a little jaded having seen rose, oud, and rose oud combos done better elsewhere ( may I introduce you to Czech & Speake's Dark Rose? )

The top is the usual Montale oud and rose combo, but the rose soon dominates this fragrance almost entirely. It's not a naturalistic rose, but it's not a cheaply synthetic one either. It reminds me of some rose absolutes I've smelled.

After more than twelve hours, the rose shifts, the patchouli becomes more noticeable, and Black Aoud does its best Voleur de Roses imitation.

Black Aoud may keep on developing after this stage, but I bathe at least daily so I wouldn't know.

What has been said about incredible longevity is true, but its sillage-monster reputation is undeserved. Its sillage is more than adequate, but not a sillage bomb. This probably works in its favor, all told.

Thumbs up for a well-made fragrance, but it's not bottle-worthy for me.

Bois de Aoud / Original Aoud by Montale

An exceptionally smooth and creamy oud fragrance. Simple, gentle, to the point, and charming. Not at all like the other Montale oud fragrances I've tried.

If you're unused to oud, don't judge this until the top notes have burnt off - they are disturbingly reminiscent of rubber gloves AND cream cheese. This initial quirk is more than made up for by many hours of mellow oud goodness.

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Bulgari pour Homme Extreme by Bulgari

This is a fresh, clean scent that completely avoids smelling aquatastic, mariney, or fruitish. The opening is more vibrant than BPH regular, and it would seem that this is because of the grapefruit (after reading reviews here), but it didn't smell like grapefruit to me, rather it just smelled brighter and fresher. Overall this is very well blended, to the point where identifying individual notes was difficult. The only note I could clearly ID was the light musk, and I supposed that's because it closely resembles the pure musk oils that I have.

There is nothing wild or crazy about this, nothing sharp or overpowering, and nothing all that interesting. It's perfect if you work closely with people and don't want their attention to turn to your scent (for better or worse) for more than a moment.

As a bonus it does last quite a long time.

TaraYvonne's avatar

Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior

I'm really not sure about this. My first thought was that I have dryer sheets that smell very similar, although not as strong. My second thought was that it was stomach turningly sweet. I am sitting here a little sick while it swirls around me in such a cloying way. That was two little squirts from a sample vial! I know so many people love this and I think I could see this working well for some one else. I can see how it could be viewed as yummy-it is very gourmand with the powdery almonds, vanilla and all. I'm sure after it drys down a little bit I will enjoy it more. But right now I am fighting the urge to go jump in the shower.

silverbullet's avatar

Hai Karate by Leeming

This toxic waste has torn a hole in the ozone!!

SirSlarty's avatar

Baldessarini Del Mar Marbella by Baldessarini

Like a breezy tropical island. You can smell the aroma of the fruits hanging from the branches from the next island over and you wish you were there. But it's the combination of ocean breeze and that fruited island that makes the place were you are smell so good.

Imagery aside, a fresh airy fruity and cedarwooded scent with average longevity and sillage. Fun for summer!

SirSlarty's avatar

Guess by Marciano for Men by Guess

Fantastic real blend of spice, woods and amber accords. I say "real blend" because it feels like the whole fragrance appears at once much like Bulgari Black. Sometimes sweet, sometimes spicy and sometimes woody, you smell the different facets but then blends all together. Moderate scent strength and sillage makes fro a great "aura" type of scent. Really pleasant and much different than the current Guess offerings.

ortho123's avatar

Azzaro pour Homme by Azzaro

I wore this when I was in my early twenties and had no problems with the ladies. Let the petulant drones in their 20's these days stick with what works for them (ubiquitous aquatics, candy store concoctions)... That's fine.

Azarro manages to be real without being raw, masculine not boorish, grounded yet clean.

It seems esp. absurd to call it "dated" since such a categorization implies that the scent spectrum concept of the last 12 plus years has not already exhausted itself.

Put this one up against the prom night favorites later worn 7 years later over martinis.

Azarro Pour Homme equals Timeless. There is such a thing as that.

ortho123's avatar

Brummel by Antonio Puig

With the after shave used only once (a different weird creature) the cologne worked for me for quite awhile! This is the one I may look for again the next time my wife and I make it to Union, NJ. There is in the scent a masculine dryness that makes it Puig but not over the top or an emotional downer. Casual, yes, but not out of line when applied carefully for the office. In some ways a broader-spectrum Aramis without the need to say, "I make a lot of money" more like "I make a living. We can live a happy life."

Quorum by Antonio Puig

About ten hours later, I smelled something on my skin -- something that I was not familiar with. And then I realized that these were the base notes of Quorum. One of the very few perfumes that smells wonderful as time passes by. Just be very careful with the quantity - if you put on more, you will smell obnoxious. One or two sprays on the chest, and you are good to go. With my skin, not much sillage though.

A total five star!

Stetson by Stetson

I can't say if I like it or not - as it smells typically like the "attar" (concentrated perfume) that is available in India. Since it is commonplace, I don't feel very attracted to it.

Cuba Blue by Cuba Paris

I smell woods and grass through and trough. Reminds me of the outdoors. Not much longevity on my skin though. For the price, I'd give it a thumbs up.

Desire Blue by Dunhill

Only the top notes smell interesting. On my skin the base notes smell horrible. Poor longevity. Good for those who like the aquatic/fresh genre of perfumes. Nothing great.

LedByMyNose's avatar

Volo AZ 686 by Profumum

This, so far, has first prize on my list of utterly awful, gagworthy perfumes. It smells like industrial toilet cleaners. Or, just toilets. Pit toilets. Airplane toilets. Rest stop toilets. Elementary school toilets. Not human waste, but whatever they clean these public bathrooms with. Something sickly sweet, synthetic-rotten, chemical and nauseating. Honestly, I have no idea how anyone could want to smell like this, but it's obvious from the review below, and from another perfumista who I know didn't mind this at all, that my take on it isn't the final word. Maybe it's my skin chemistry? So try it for yourself, but don't say you weren't warned! F.O.U.L.

newgabe's avatar

Allure Eau de Toilette by Chanel

As I had just tried one of those modern 'straight from insecticide to bubblegum' messes, Allure at least smelled like a real perfume. A medium floral dried down over an hour or so to an acceptable, sharpish powdery scent softened by vanilla.Not impossible to wear, as long as you didn;t pay for it. It reminds me of a dollar store 'imitation' scent... close to something lovely but not actually there. (My experience was a bit distracted by the gross stench of Allure Sensuelle on the other arm though- I tried them both at the same time to sense the connection... which seems to be marketing, not note.)

newgabe's avatar

Allure Sensuelle by Chanel

Somehow I've resisted scrubbing this, and its gradually gone past the stomach turning 'nasty patchouli and some Prada-like weird chemical thing' to an (at least mercifully faint) fridge deodorant vanilla that all modern perfumes seem to default to. I couldn't imagine the circumstances in which I'd want to smell like any stage of this perfume.

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

Was at the chemist a few days ago trying different colognes, especially Gucci II, when the sales woman recommended me try this. She sprayed some on a card, along with others, and I left. While walking around the shopping centre, I was sniffing at them and realized this one was the one that I kept going back to. It was like heaven - amazing scent. I live on the East Australian coast but this cologne takes me to foreign shores - fresh but deeply intriguing. I sat the card on the kitchen bench when I got home and every time I tried it I was bowled over by it. Went out and got a bottle a couple of days later. I love it, and it's already fetched compliments. The Gucci II will have to wait.

Voyage by Nautica

Amazingly fresh - reminds me of my local beach in summer. My son was lying next to me this morning and commented that he could smell cucumbers, something he liked very much. One of the few aquatics I thoroughly enjoy, even if it's a touch linear.

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

Agghh!! Smells like something my grandmother would have worn. Overcrowded and musty in my opinion. Definitely never ending up in my wardrobe.

Intense Tiare by Montale

This is what Fracas would be if it had breeding and manners. In fairness to Fracas, I don't like tiare, gardenia or tuberose, but had to try Intense Tiare due to its high ratings. This is a lovely soft tiare with a smooth, very subtle coconut base. All is blended seemlessly and if you like this type of floral and very sweet fragrance you really should give this a try. Well done, just not for me (just as well for my wallet)!

Vetiver des Sables by Montale

I'm getting really anxious, Montale is going to bankrupt me. This is stunning. Fresh, resinous, herbally drying down (far into the drydown) to a lovely sandalwood/musk base that is rich and hypnotic. Somewhat fresh and aquatic like Fougeres Marine, but only marginally. Sillage is moderate and lasting power is great. I think this could be worn equally well by a man or a woman. Must possess!! 10 thumbs wayyyyyy up!!

01st April, 2009 (Last Edited: 08 May, 2009)

Greyland by Montale

I like this. At first I smelled absolutely nothing, zip, zilch, nadda. Montale? Can't be! Then, in about 15 minutes, smoke, vetiver?, spice. Next a very, very subtle cumin note that barely hints at body odor, not offensive, rather interesting, then soft, sweet smoke, sandalwood. On me, this is not overly masculine at all. While I can see that it is intended as a masculine fragrance, body chemistry turns it sweet on me. Very nice. Not my favorite Montale, but I think 50 ml. worthy

AnnS's avatar

L'Eau d'Ambre by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Nice, smooth, soft amber/vanilla comfort scent. Easy to wear, a wee bit sweet.

AnnS's avatar

Jacinthe des Bois by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Smells like spring! The hyacinth, quasi-lilac accord, is very prominent on this one. Smells very natural & "green". Has a bit of a fresh air accord, which may be some lily of the valley, and nice sappy green galbanum. Anyone who thinks the smell of hyacinth/lilac is overwhelming would probably not like this. It would be easy to overapply. This fragrance is glorious to wear for about two weeks a year during the height of spring flowers, after that it would be a bit much. Well done.

Heawns's avatar

Sweden Sweden

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

This is a very sweet fragrance, very sweet scents (in this one atleast) I don't mind at all. Anise/licorice rich, I love that. For me it has some depth, some unique notes flashing by making it enough exciting.

I don't find it cloying, but I guess that depends on who's smelling it.

Nice when you want to be smelled for sure, if you don't mind that not everyone will be a fan of it.