Fragrance Reviews from April 2009

foetidus

eo02 by Biehl Parfumkunstwerke

I’ve smelled attempts at this kind of citrus / green opening accord in a few fragrances: None of those attempts come anywhere near the quality and beauty of this one… it’s consummately better than anything of its nature that I have tried. On my skin the citrus (grapefruit / bergamot) is muted and the green (galbanum / cilantro with a cardamom) is silken smooth. It doesn’t seem either citrus or green and yet it can be recognized as both: conspicuously elegant and attractive. The accord picks up the jasmine and rose as soon as the citrus elements have exited from the opening and the subsequent heart accord is the kind that I call “texture” because the floral and woody elements integrate themselves seamlessly into the original green texture to form a heart accord that is a bit reminiscent of Gucci Envy EDP or an extra smooth, extra lustrous Nemo… it’s lovely, semi-gourmand, and entirely unisex… soft, but with a full olfactory spectrum. The base is a refined and rich cedar, sandalwood, and patchouli in an amber / vanilla sweetness. Long lasting biehl parfumkunstwerke eoO2 is quietly lush, sophisticated, and brilliant.

foetidus

pc02 by Biehl Parfumkunstwerke

The pyramid says that the top notes are bergamot, white lavender, cardamom, spices… I get something lusciously gourmand immediately upon spraying… honey sweet and taste tempting, but certainly not overdone in its gourmandness. I think this is pretty much a scent constructed around honey – I get it from top to bottom with varied partnerships along the way. First, the honey joins with the soft, gentle lavender and the bergamot and cardamom to form a warm, intriguing opening. That opening accord holds well until it gradually transforms to a honey / tonka / spicy floral accord. This accord is more gourmand than floral, it is delightful, and it has lost much of its sillage power. In the final accord only a little of the gourmand accord is left to join with the light woods of the base – as often happens, I don’t get the musk. The base does not send much sillage from the skin, but it does have a nice aroma very near the skin. Normally gourmands are not my thing, but I find this one refined, rich, and eminently enjoyable.

hirch_duckfinder's avatar
    hirch_duckfinder

St Johns Bay Rum by West Indies Bay Company

Wonderful, incredibly natural smelling Bay Rum which is not too intense. Sits beautifully on skin, fresh, spicy and masculine.
    Highly recommended.

Also - The Bay Rum with lime - also really good, a perfect combination, blended perfectly.

manicboy's avatar
    manicboy

L'Occitan by L'Occitane

This one is definitely subtle and usually flys underneath everyone's radar until it finally hits you: this smells great. The opening is a marriage of black pepper and lavender. The lavender is not like Caron's Un Homme at all. Here, it's quiet, muted and distinctive. This alone is worth the price of admission. Black pepper is a prompt and courteous dance partner to the lavender. It does not step on any toes like Black Pepper usually does. The cinnamon and nutmeg tap the black pepper on the shoulder and take their turn on the dancefloor. Here I get a roasted-almond aroma not unlike the kind you see/smell at the local Ren Faire. Memories of Azzaro Visit also come to mind with its distinctive nutmeg note. I find that the lavendar and the cinnamon/nutmeg stick around forever. After it seems like ages, the last dance is saved for the Cedar and Tonka. Both come on very quietly and if you blink you will miss them. Longevity is good but sillage is below average. Your dance partner will be the only one to notice you on the dancefloor. But what she smells will keep her spellbound all night. Let this be the best $40 you ever spent.

scentimus's avatar
    scentimus

Versailles pour Homme by Jean Desprez

This truly is a scent who's time has come and gone. To wear it now in this modern day and age makes no sense or the thought of resurrecting it on the sales shelf again would be like man going back to writing in hieroglyphics.

Let it rest in peace -

Romance for Men by Ralph Lauren

Boring, insipid offering from the same house that gave us such greats as Polo, Tuxedo and Lauren.

Strong, synthetic wood notes with loud lavender over an annoying pine note that lasts and lasts and lasts to the point at which it outlives its welcome.

Spark for Men by Liz Claiborne

A boozy spice concoction that could easily have been Escada pour Homme's gourmand little brother had Claiborne not used such cheap, synthetic ingredients.

It's better than other Claiborne frags (save the original Claiborne for Men, which is still the best hands down), and Spark Seduction is somewhat better even yet. (But that's not saying a lot.)

Spark Seduction for Men by Liz Claiborne

Never have I so thoroughly agreed with an analysis as I do with SirSlarty's review below.

Spark Seduction just takes the boozy, synthetic amber-iness of the original Spark and slathers it in a fairly pleasant grapefruit.

Too little, too late, though.

Curve Wave for Men by Liz Claiborne

Harsh chemicals mixed with grapefruit and masquerading as a cologne. (And just what the hell IS "liquid oxygen scent," anyway?)

In other words, Curve Wave is definitive proof that you can probably market even cat piss so long as you put it in a "cool" bottle and make it affordable for the masses.

Yuk.

trikkirikki's avatar
    trikkirikki
    Sweden Sweden

Dzongkha by L'Artisan Parfumeur

On me, it's all about the cardamom. My co worker pin pointed it some time ago; "you smell like a cardamom bun", and she couldn't stop sniffing me. Of course, it's so much more than this. Dzongkha takes almost a metallic, cool turn, but it's also very green and almost herbal at times. It's hard to find the right words to describe this scent, but one thing is sure - it's unique.

odysseusm's avatar
    odysseusm

Je Suis Un Homme by Etat Libre d'Orange

I’m amazed that I have such a different response to what is listed below. I don’t see ANY similarity to Eau Sauvage, not do I detect much citrus at all. On me, this is a long-lived and powerful scent. I would characterize it as spicy rather than leathery or patchouli-prominent.
    It has a manly, powerful old-school vibe. I enjoy the myrtle which gives a green, slightly coniferous note to cool the abundant warm spice notes. I think this is quite well done, and a worthy and similar sibling to Eloge du Traitre.

löwe's avatar
    löwe
    Germany Germany

Monocle Scent One: Hinoki by Comme des Garçons

To my nose, this scent starts out much like Gucci pour Homme. But where GPH soon leans toward amber, vetiver, and musk , Hinoki doesn't budge. Three hours on and it still smells exactly like it did when I first applied it. It's a pleasant, if monotonous, incense/cedar/pine accord. Good sillage and lasting power.

goldiloks's avatar
    goldiloks

Néonatura - Souffle by Yves Rocher

Very beachy! Starts with citrus and vanilla.... and dries down in a light but warm scent, think summer eves by the sea. Reminds me of Emporio White (She), but not as long lasting or strong, sligtly more cocnutty rather than white musk to my mind.

jathanas's avatar
    jathanas

Oxford & Cambridge by Czech & Speake

Quite simply the most appropriate lavender note I've had the pleasure of sampling. It is a true implementation and once it settles it radiates a soothing lavender accord of real beauty. Linear but in this case that's just fine.

Exquisite and calming.

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

Vetiver des Sables by Montale

Call me crazy but is this what you get when you mix Cool Water (or Montale's Marine Fourgeres) and Terre d'Hermes (or Montale's Red Vetyver) with a raw vetiver ingredient? It's aromatic like Cool Water's fougere but has that bitter orange peel feel like Terre d' Hermes. Dies after a while and doesn't feel like it evolved at all. Didn't leave me out to hang dry nor did it make me giddy to wear it again. Meh,

miguelito_bh's avatar
    miguelito_bh
    Brazil Brazil

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Amazing juicy... I don´t know... Sometimes reminds me CK Euphoria and sometimes reminds me CH Chic, but more refined and discrete. Very clean, has harmonious notes and good sillage and longevity on me (4 spray on my chest and 1 spray on my neck).

Very Good Scent... Thumbs Up!

Ms Rochambeau's avatar
    Ms Rochambeau

Jeanne Lanvin by Lanvin

For me, the pretty, pink packaging was the tipoff...just one more fruity/floral blah, blah. blah, boring disappointment. And with this, commercial perfumery continues its mission to dumb-down the experience of the average perfume consumer.

bbBD's avatar
    bbBD

Eclipse by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

Notes: Bitter almond, vanilla, frankincense, heliotrope, cinnamon

Whoofa! Eclipse starts out with almost medicinal blast of almond and cinnamon, to the point that it's actually quite unpleasant. The cinnamon fades within a few minutes, leaving a light, bland almond/vanilla aroma that is very synthetic feeling. I don't get any other published notes, or any other notes for that matter...the fragrance just fades out from there. It's almost as though they forgot to create the heart and base of the fragrance. My negative rating is not simply a case of me not liking the fragrance (I don't), but rather what appears to be a massive structural defect.

yrk's avatar
    yrk
    Poland Poland

Citrus Paradisi by Czech & Speake

boring lemon (very bitter grapefruit?) which smells like a cat for me or something lemony to cleaning bathrooms, longevity is below avg., not so good as cuba, dark rose and my fave no.88 from C&S

UPDATE: (now neutral) I really appreciate this now but...
    its "late shower and bed time scent", and I still cant imaginare myself wearing CP during day

07 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 28 March, 2010)

newgabe's avatar
    newgabe

Insolence by Guerlain

Ravetastic, I love your review! As for Insolence, it's OK I suppose, nothing interesting (oh, is that supposed to be violets?!) but why on earth is it called Insolence? Insolence should have attitude, like a sharp urban version of Bandit perhaps or a citrus Bulgari Black. This is just a mild thickish sweetish unchallenging thing that sits in the corner till it fades away.

xmen's avatar
    xmen
    Singapore Singapore

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

A scent of uncommon beauty. Minimalist rendition at its best. Who would have thought that the essence of a humble mango can smell so divine? Long live, Ellena!

Utkuak's avatar
    Utkuak
    Finland Finland

Boss Selection by Hugo Boss

This is a masculine and slightly dark fragrance, that still remains quite inoffensive. It's green and woody and, although it's not that complex, I've never found it boring or too generic. The cap is really impressive and both the packaging and the bottle are very nice.

Selection was the very first fragrance I ever bought and it's still the best scent I've tried from Hugo Boss. On an absolute scale it doesn't rank very high, but it's still a good fragrance for someone who is just starting to explore the world of scents, or needs something to wear with a suit. However, younger men should think twice before buying this, because in my opinion this will work better with men who are over 30 than with most younger lads.

's avatar

Jil Sander No. 4 by Jil Sander

I find myself thinking often, "how can something so great, so flawless and classic be discontinued?! I cannot bear it!" And I always mean it, but this time I mean it the most.

In my top three faves.

Jil Sander is:
    Swank
    Classic
    Elegant
    Alluring
    Perfect
    Haunting

I seem to be a sucker for plum an peach in the same chypre, and this one does it in a really dark-as-night manner.

I agree its closest relative is Knowing (also great), but I think it's the finer fragrance. Knowing is a stately tudor-revival mansion graced by an impeccable woman's respect for tradition. Jil Sander is the real, kept-up Tudor manor, inhabited by eccentric, stylish gentry.

's avatar

L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci

This is a hard one for me to smell with a clean perspective.

Because I REMEMBER 'L'air du Temps', you see. I remember its salty, caustic, peppery personality, when it was so strong.. and so clear... like I imagine the screaming scene in Strauss's 'Elektra' must have "chilled" the opera houses: it was almost physically painful, like hot, bright, perfumed cream being piped into my sinuses... making my eyes tear, but evoking pagodas and promenades and enchanted gardens at the same time!!
    And it came in a gorgeous, heavy, glass flagon with frosted CRYSTAL doves.

The current "doves" that sit atop the current formulation of 'L'Air Du Temps' are the perfect allegory, in fact, to its "ruination": now fashioned of plastic, a kitsch reminder, a parody... slightly embarrassing...a cheap, brazen homage to something truly fine, now lost.

It reminds me, too, of that Elvis Costello song, "Veronica", about an elderly woman with Alzheimer's, who doesn't even remember her name, who happened to have been a scintillating, powerful, and dynamic character in her youth... her only remaining link to her past: a photo album and fleeting memories...
    Tragic.

So, would I like L'Air du Temps if I smelled it in its current version, as a new perfume, for the very first time?

Yes, I guess so.

I'd be intrigued by its peculiarity... by its peppery powder...
    by its quirky, frilly, yet not-at-all sweet, feminine appeal...
    by its potent carnation note *morphing* into a *salted* carnation note...

(But I would need it to be packaged generically to take it seriously.)

A begrudging thumbs up....

07 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 02 November, 2009)

Lo Grecco's avatar
    Lo Grecco

Bulgari pour Homme Extreme by Bulgari

I love this edt!
    Although simple, it is different from any frag I´ve smelled before.
    I agree with others on basenotes - it is too simple for formal wear (I prefer Chanel on those occasions), but it is perfect for daily or office use.
    Longevity seems to be an issue here, maybe for myself, since I have a dry type of skin which swallows all perfumes I dare to use.
    Presently I am layering my skin with moisturizers, thus increasing the longevity of my frags.

Pachinko's avatar
    Pachinko

Voile de Jasmin by Bulgari

Very poor staying power and smells like a product instead of a perfume.

LucidJeff's avatar
    LucidJeff
    Switzerland Switzerland

Ferrari (Red) by Ferrari

Ex-girlfriend gave this to me, I expected something with the ferrari name on it to smell better. I haven't worn it in a year, no point in getting detailed in my review.

LucidJeff's avatar
    LucidJeff
    Switzerland Switzerland

Dior Homme Sport (original) by Christian Dior

I have only smelled it on my skin, on me it smells like orange peel with occasionally anise I think. I was hoping that it would develop into something I could enjoy or at least tolerate, after five hours it still smells like i rubbed orange peels on my skin. maybe i would like it on someone else... maybe.

nomad's avatar
    nomad
    Trinidad and Tobago Trinidad and Tobago

Polo Modern Reserve by Ralph Lauren

so good i went and bought the 30th anniversary edition a great scent.

ComplacentAmericons's avatar
    ComplacentAmericons

Forever by Alfred Sung

A mixture of "Three Flower" pomade, orange oil, and lightly scented Raid. Your better off buying dollar-store perfume.