Fragrance Reviews from April 2009

Big Punisher's avatar

360 Degrees Red for Men by Perry Ellis

Chalk this up as a win in my book. I got 100ml for $33, as opposed to Acqua di Gio which is $50 for 50ml, which has to be compared I guess. A more refined, spicy, aqua scent. Very fresh. Also excellent longevity, at least for me.

NonScents's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

I initially HATED this, far too soapy, medically so, but after drydown it reveals itself to have an incredibly delicate floral undertone, and smells clean and beautiful, like a newborn baby boy.

You need short, precisely-coiffured hair to wear this scent. Not quite for me, but I would almost change my whole image for this little beauty.

Linds's avatar

Very Irrésistible by Givenchy

Wearing Very Irresistible is like being enveloped in the color pink. This is basically one long cascade of roses. Anise is listed in the notes but I can’t smell it after the first fifteen minutes of VI. That’s a shame. I wish there had been a more prominent spice element in this to hold my attention. But looking at what VI actually is (and not what I want it to be) I think that VI is successful, overall. It’s certainly a scent oriented towards young women, a societal category I belong to. VI is flirty but without any overt sensuality. It’s a soft, dreamy scent and a very innocent vision of what it means to be “irresistible.” That’s okay, though. Not every scent needs to be come-hither. I’m sure that lots of people enjoy this scent. Heck, I did too when I wore it. I just wish it had a little extra spark. As it is, I won’t be buying a bottle of VI but I don’t regret wearing it at all.

Bellamorte's avatar

Armani Code for Women by Giorgio Armani

Not sure why, but when I tested this fragrance it REEKED of licorice and stayed licorice until I washed it off. My chemistry may just be peculiar, but I didn't care for this scent on me. I loved the scent on paper. Perfumes do tend to react a bit oddly to my skin.

It may also have had something to do with the fact that the sampler bottle I tried was in close proximity to a sunny window (in Texas in the summer) now that I think about it. Maybe this is one of those scents that changes very badly if stored improperly.

rocknroll's avatar

Narciso Rodriguez for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

The one in the black bottle. You know that heady, invincibly sexy feeling you get when you're just the right shade of tipsy, the night is young, and you're looking like a million bucks? If that feeling were a fragrance, NR would be it.

cherrytree's avatar

Miel de Bois by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

As a newbie at this fragrance reviewing lark, it's time for me to confess that my experience of perfume has been a love/hate affair. There are hardly any fragrances I can wear that don't make me feel physically nauseous - something to do with synthetic ingredients possibly. I was introduced to the world of Serge Lutens by in an amazing perfume 'pharmacy' in Devon called Woodfordes. After smelling lots of very traditional brands (the likes of Calvin Klein, DKNY, Chanel et al are off my list) I was introduced to Miel de Bois. I was intruiged. Previously I had loved Jo Malone's Ginger and Nutmeg, and Wild Fig and Cassis, so the sweet spicyness of Serge's MDB caught me in its grip.
    Unlike many reviewers I can't smell the cat-pee/urinary quality, instead on my skin after about ten minutes it smells wonderfully of burnt honey.. a very 'rude' scent almost! I love it, but couldn't imagine wearing it on a hot day... so 'hot' itself! It's woody, slightly spicy, very treacle tart!

tsar_perknip's avatar

Happy by Clinique

I don't know what happened. I had several small samples of Happy — which I wore when I got married and all throughout my honeymoon, and I adored it. When the sample-sized bottles ran out, I took the plunge and bought a bottle.

It smells... like hair spray. Cheap, alcoholic, hair spray, like the smell of a girls' gym locker room during the the big hair of the late 1980s. I cant imagine it changed between the samples and the bottle, so I'm guessing it was me who changed.

08th April, 2009 (Last Edited: 11th January, 2011)

N_Tesla's avatar

Ambre Gris by Pierre Balmain

Beautiful, simply a beautiful niche quality fragrance by Pierre Balmain. For me, this was an instant love affair and is a fragrance, which will always be part of my wardrobe.

08th April, 2009 (Last Edited: 26th February, 2011)

Otto's avatar

Bermuda Bermuda

DKNY Men (New) by Donna Karan

The day I test ran this juice I got a zillion compliments.

Jean Paul Gaultier Classique by Jean Paul Gaultier

Exceedingly sweet, orange, powdery, and spicy. I am not smelling flowers at all. This is definitely an Oriental fragrance. And it has a huge dollop of vanilla. The whole combined to form a root beer and creme soda accord that I enjoyed, but it began to take on a strong, almost bitter aroma as I wore it, the way that artificial sweetners tend to do in soft drinks. So, I give it a perplexed neutral.

Versace by Versace

The notes are the epitome of "fanciful," a sure bet that I will be annoyed after smelling the perfume. And I am. This perfume smells like fruity violet over a lot of diffusive, synthetic bases. I cannot be convinced otherwise. All the claims of "living dewdrops," "atmospheric orchid," "lights," and "angel wings," will not dissuade me that is sour violet.

True Religion for Women by True Religion

An interesting name for an ordinary fragrance. One would expect an epiphany, but what one gets is a trend-following perfume. On the cover is a woman wearing a cowboy hat and an expression that is both horny and suspicious. It is as though she is saying, "I don't trust you, but I'm really desperate, so I will ignore my aversion in order to satisfy this horrible craving." I guess that is how some people feel about religion.
    So, I had hopes that this fragrance would be something other than the usual stuff pushed at this demographic.
    The opening is the Sour Patch candy beginnings of a "new chypre." The middle notes begin to smell more interesting and woody, and I hoped for a woody Oriental, but they did not last. In the end, it returns to the sour candy and adds a big Juicy Fruit chewing gum note. Yawn. I almost gave it a neutral rating because I like gum, but actually, I wouldn't wear it. There are better bubblegum fragrances.

Midnight Violet by Ava Luxe

An initial blast of galbanum gives way to pepper. Then cedar and dusky violet with green leaves take over. In the end, there is sweetness, but it is very dark and earthy. The base lists moss and hemlock, but there may be patchouli as well. These woody, grassy notes lend a dried-leaf type of sweetness. In the end, the notes combine to form a strange violet candy or a bit of Sen-Sen breath mint aroma. This fragrance is sensual and strong. It smells like dry wood and living leaves at the same time. I find it extremely attractive, wet and dry, with dark, earthy sweetness. This is not for the "shrinking violet" type of person. Midnight Violet makes a bold statement.

Kevin Guyer's avatar

Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons

Revisiting CdG2 Man after a few years, I'm struck by how classic it smells. Perhaps this cross-over-from-artsy-to-mainstream CdG creation will survive all the other, more difficult ones in the CdG line-up.
    I also got the shower gel, which is very bright and invigorating - everything I want out of shower gel.
    This is truly one of Mr. Buxton's enduring gems!

distortech's avatar

Absynthe by Christian Lacroix

Beautiful bottle. Gorgeous fragrance. The more I wear it, the more I love it. Btw, yes, I am a guy and this works very well for guys, so guys, don't be afraid to try it. I can assure you that women gave me all kinds of compliments on it and still do every time I wear it.

Bon travail, Monsieur Lacroix.

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Avant Garde by Martine Micallef

If you put 70% cocoa pebbles and 30% fruity pebbles in a bowl and top it with grape soda you may get an idea of what Avante Garde smells like. As it dries to the base it only gets more chalky. In fact, there doesn't seem to be any real base notes at all. If worn on clothes a fruity wet smell stays prominent throughout even after the cocoa and grape soda dissipate, which is better than chalkiness, but has been done much more pleasantly by countless other perfumers.

I really wanted to like this considering that at the time of this writing there is only one review, but there just is no hiding this unpleasantness.

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I love to smell this, I have no desire to wear it. That being said, I really enjoyed this fragrance anyway. I'm getting a strong scent association from this: People casually taking tea and nibbling on lightly-spiced gingered tea cakes (as said previously by someone else), perhaps reading a book with a cigarette dangling from their fingers. Tea, light spice, light cigarette smoke, very light ginger. That's what I'm getting. It certainly isn't unpleasant as it may sound. It has a certain comfort to it; it has it's own charm. It's not for me. But I can appreciate what they were trying to do here and I like the fact that L'Artisan can take you some place either exotic or comfortable and familiar as in this case. I respect the house for making fragrance more than just a scent and taking it to the level of storytelling.

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I get the poo note only in the beginning and it faded almost instantly. I smell no cotton candy at all. You could compare the opening to the scents of a horse barn only alot lighter in every way.

I suspect the people who say they can't detect this have never set foot in a barn to be able to identify what it is they are smelling. To me at least, I really did smell this right away in the beginning. But just as fast it left, leaving only the scent of nice leather seats. This is how I experienced it, anyway. I think it affects people very differently depending on your personal experiences. People identify Dzing! with something they know from their own lives. Having rode horses when I was growing up, this is what I smelled. The shavings in the stall, slightly fecal...and the smell of the horse as you pulled yourself into the saddle. Horse hair, and the leather saddle. And then, just leather. Nothing more for me.

I think this will work very well for my husband, I find it a little too masculine for me. And it's not because of the crazy beginning-that doesn't last long enough to worry about. But the fragrance of pure comfortable leather and nothing more would be best on him I think. Overall, I really enjoyed the experience of Dzing! because that's what it is. It is more than a fragrance, it tells a scent story. I appreciate that and recommend everyone at least buy a sample for the pure enjoyment of trying to guess what you're smelling. My husband and I really enjoyed testing Dzing! and comparing how we felt about it.

If you want to try it you can order a sample from The Perfumed Court or L'Artisan themselves as I did. It was fun testing it.

Verte Violette by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is far too light (although a pretty little scent), and very innocent. A quiet, shy little violet that could be worn by the youngest or oldest member of the family. It's not my thing, but it is lovely while it lasts. It is very simple, very innocent. If you like this sort of thing then you'll love it. I'm giving it a neutral rating based on the fact that it's longevity is very short and L'Artisan isn't inexpensive enough to warrant such poor staying power. The least they can do is make sure it lasts.

Premier Figuier Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I loved this instantly and can wear it very well. I think it's suitable for either sex, women can pull this off as well as men. It has it all: light sweetness, fresh green leaves, quiet fig, soothing almonds and milk and the tiniest hint of coconut that nearly blends unnoticed into the milk. If there is a wood accord I'm barely getting it. It is so fresh and naturally beautiful. I love the combination of the edible parts and the freshness of the green leaves. I think this would be fabulous in any weather as well because of that quality. Green enough for summer, milky and yummy enough for winter. It isn't loud or projecting. This is a comfort scent that clings lightly to the body and enhances the skin's natural fragrance. I'll be buying a bottle when I can. It's lovely, light and so unusual. I love it when that happens!

Dzongkha by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is indeed a strange one, unlike anything I have tried so far. I would love this on me or my husband. I find it fascinating and exciting because it's different. I agree it is dry due to the incense , also somehow managing to be green (think drooping, dew-ladden cedar branches) at the same time which makes you think of dampness. So it's wet and dry. Confused yet? Yeah me too. But somehow it comes together in such a way that is really beautiful and so different. I don't think of it as standoffish or reserved. Snobby? I can't think of a fragrance as being able to pull that off personally. Everyone has their own opinion and that's more than fine. Not sure I agree though with those words for this fragrance. The strange aspects of it may be off-putting for some, but for others who yearn for something out of the ordinary I'd say test this out. I wasn't sorry I did!

Fleur de Liane by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I completely agree with Ubuandibeme on this one except I'm not getting as much patchouli for some reason. Her review was spot on otherwise as I experienced it. I do see how you could get an aloe vera hint, not cantaloupe maybe but the green melon, and some ferns and lily of the valley. I think it's like stepping into the rainforest after a cool, gentle rain. Right when the sun comes out and the freshness is peak because the sun has started to evaporate the rain drops off the flowers and surrounding undergrowth and the air is cool yet humid. Before the humidity turns sticky warm. I find this cool and fresh. It's lovely but not ground-breaking. It reminds me of a can of air freshener my Mother used to use in our house-no kidding. I have the memory of this type of scent locked away in my subconscious and it came to the surface immediately when I smelled this. I had forgotten it, but there it was back again. I doubt if I'll buy it but I can see how others would like it. It is perfectly enjoyable and lovely anyway.

Rakhee's avatar

Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

The opening - I recoil from my wrist - 2 stars - this is not the addictive cool clove of Tuberose Criminelle, something altogether spicier, more alive /
    5 minutes - it warms a little - 3 stars - a floral Fracasian bouquet - nothing extraordinary, would still turn to L'Artisan for my creamy tuberose fix /
    15 minutes - 4 stars - the green keeps it real, I am enchanted /
    After 1 hour, it is how I would imagine the scent of an idealised cactus - something cool and fresh in an unforgiving landscape, a thorny green opening cracked to reveal juicy red flesh.

09th April, 2009 (Last Edited: 23rd July, 2009)

SirSlarty's avatar

360 Degrees Blue for Men by Perry Ellis

Ah ha! Drakkar Noir. I was wondering what this reminded me of. I detected a huge spicy (lavender) oakmoss and sandalwood and couldn't quite put my finger on it. That's what this is, a spicier alternative to Drakkar Noir and it's not too potent. In regards to the original 360, Blue seems to make the original spicier and tone it up a bit but is not too all together and "with it". Average about everything and I happen to like Drakkar Noir.

Merbert's avatar

Osmanthus by Ormonde Jayne

To me, this is one of the worst fragrances I've tested in a long time. It bears absolutely no resemblance to osmanthus. Where is the rich yet fresh, pure yet erotic nature of the real flower? It smells more like a Glade plug-in air freshener. Instead of capturing the bright slightly unripe apricot note of osmanthus, I smell cheap synthetic fruit salad which produces a very unsettling feeling. Even the in-your-face indoles can't save this one.

ortho123's avatar

Cool Water by Davidoff

I like this scent and have no hesitation giving it a thumbs up. If it invites ridicule for those who cannot shake associations (musical included, synesthesia maybe?) what can I say. The longer you live there will always be something connected to something else.

If Cool Water sold and still sells, it is because Cool Water is still very much connected to the notion that clean is connected to attractiveness and sexiness like the Japanese word for "clean" and "attractive." Is this too young for some? Maybe? But not really. The drydown is close to the skin, sufficiently mossy.

Rather than "think this one out" try it. It really is a classic and deserves that designation.

argogos's avatar

Eau de Star by Thierry Mugler

I think this stuff is fab. The watermelon is balanced by a nice peppery accord giving it an immediate yin-yang appeal. The aquatic accord gives it a fresh, clean feel. Then, there is just enough herbal- patchouli?- to make it zing. as if that weren't enough, there is a pleasant, warm drydown with a hint of powder for comfort. Not terribly complicated but takes you on a nice journey of well-balanced contrasts.

memechose's avatar

Rêverie au Jardin by Tauer

this is one of my favorite fragances , and according to aAdy the most complex and difficult to create and for many to wear. On me, it is a lush warm floral, as if I was suddenly transported into one of Monet's paintings of his gardens at Giverny. The one note that IS NOT prominent on me is lavender.Vetiver, tonker and amber are beautiful base notes. Severely under-rated fragrance, but personal chemistry is everything.

The Fragrant Zebra's avatar

Chloé Narcisse by Chloé

I happily owned this in the 90's, and I'm not sure what I was thinking... but when I come across this fragrance now it offends me. If you want major sillage, you get it here, but there are a lot more gorgeous fragrances out there that will leave a more pleasant trail behind you. Whilst I still adore many Lauder and other powerhouse 90's fragrances, this one, to me, has seen its day. If it's becoming hard to get, I'm glad...if not, I'm sad !!!

EastonBMW's avatar

David Beckham Instinct by Beckham

I will admit that I am a David Beckham fan. The fact that I am a soccer player and have my BA in Public Relations/Advertising and an MBA with a concentration in Marketing make me realize how great Beckham is in both areas. Beckham the athlete (although pretty much over the hill) and Beckham the brand are pretty amazing to consider. How does a talented but fairly mediocre athlete (poor footwork, no left foot, no speed but an incredible passer/shooter) rise to such superstardom? By carefully crafting a public relations image that is appealing and creates excitement. Given that Beckham's endorsements usually come from products he personally uses, I assumed when I bought this bottle that Beckham would never sign off on a scent that wasn't something he would want his name alligned with ... especially given that his name is on the bottle and he is the model in the advertising. One mistep in terms of a bad product associated with the Beckham name and he doesn't have his soccer to fall back on.

Celebrity scents have not all been bad. many of them have. I will agree that most of them are generic smelling cheaply made colognes or perfumes that a celebrity tacked their name on because it costs about 5 cents to make a bottle of cologne, which then sells for $40 or more because of the advertising. When Sean Combs (aka: P Diddy) came out with Sean John Unfogivable, it was clear that he pretty much copied a Creed scent and that, in my opinion was the last of the decent celebrity scents.

I was expecting some kind of a sweet smelling perfumely cologne with Beckham's first cologne. Maybe it is because he talks in such a high pitched voice and let's be honest ... is famous for wearing thongs and skirts as part of his fashion. Also, usually the sweeter smelling colognes are less complex and cheaper to make. I was surprised that this cologne is a manly sort of scent. The orange/citrus bergamont smell is very notable. As the cologne is worn, the orange smell is complimented by a patchouli/spice smell. To me, this cologne reminds me a little of Burberry Touch blended with Bay Rum. It also is a little reminiscent of J Peterman's cologne in that it has some musky/earthy tones.

This cologne gives me the vibe of a young soccer player in England ... someone who cares about their appearance and likes the attention of the ladies. I can't imagine this cologne would turn heads the way Curve or Abercrombie Fierce would because it is much less unique smelling, but at the same time ... I think it is fresh and young enough where it would make a good going out scent for someone younger.