Fragrance Reviews from April 2009

yrk's avatar

Poland Poland

Frankincense & Myrrh by Czech & Speake

great one from C&S, rich and luxurious as rhodes22 said, quite linear on me, it doesnt change much from start to end, and it doesnt bore me

sketchwars's avatar

Sweden Sweden

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

This is like sitting in a very dry sauna. Lots of cedar. Works amazing in the warmer months. Great on both men and women.

Adama's avatar

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

Smells really nice and fresh initially, but that only lasts for a few minutes. After the top-notes are gone, it smells like old paper. I really wanted to like it because of the initial burst.

xmen's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Hanae Mori (new / Butterfly) by Hanae Mori

I have a sweet tooth for gourmand scent. And HM pink Butterfly (edt strength) is simply mouth-watering gorgeous. I can't resist sniffing my arms constantly. Today, I think I smell good enough to eat. lol. And that's a lovely thought.

Bo Darville's avatar

Odeur 53 by Comme des Garçons

After the initial mélange of various ozonic/electrical scents, all that I can smell is nail polish, and it lasts forever. Do you want to smell like a TV screen smeared with nail polish...for a looong time? I don't. Frankly, this seems like the fragrance equivalent of living near high-tension power lines. Does that mean that Odeur 53 is carcinogenic? Well, maybe...?

Alright, I'm being facetious (I guess), but I really cannot fathom why anyone would want to subject themselves to this. Similarly, I cannot imagine that anyone would want to smell someone who emits this "odeur."

Oh, but it's an "anti-perfume." It's "art." Sheesh. What's next? A frag that smells like a Ziploc bag filled with the world's tiniest sea shells (not real ones, but space-age synthetic ones!) placed on the surface of the Moon? Fragrance notes like "Exploding Star," "Spent Fuel Rod," or "Frozen Glue"?

I am inclined to agree that this is avante garde, but that would be too complimentary. I would rather just say that it's pretentious and eerily misanthropic - and leave it at that.

Pachinko's avatar

Tommy Girl by Tommy Hilfiger

Gorgeous scent. Starts off a bit sharp but settles down to a beautiful floral tea, very fresh and sweet. This was a pleasant surpirse, especially for the price.

cbstarker's avatar

Unbound for Men by Halston

I happen to love Acqua di Gio, despite the fact that I smell like everyone else (I don't know anyone else that wears it). the cedary basenotes always take me by surprise (I often wonder who smells so good - oh, it's me!). AdG also reminds me of being a child and sneaking/rummaging through my parents drawers, smelling the cedar blocks in there. Finally, AdG has been a constant dependable fragrance for the office, which is close quarters. So, when a fellow BNer recommended Unbound to me, since it was apparently an AdG clone at a fraction of the cost, I decided to try it, especially after looking at 17 positive reviews and nothing else.

I will agree with Sunsetspawn: "just take AdG and turn the citrus and white musk down a bit...add some watermelon and a hint of a floral scent...Almost di Gio. However, I will disagree with all other 17 positive reviews so far and say that this is close but definitely no cigar. The topnotes to me were almost identical with Unbound being a little sweeter (probably the blackcurrant) and sharper than AdG. I started to tell the difference in the middle notes, which were soapier, like a dryer sheet fabric softener in the Unbound but brighter than AdG, yet still not as smoothed out. The middle notes in Unbound are more floral, sweeter while AdG retains marine notes. The difference was slight but obvious. But the drydown disappeared in a hurry, at least it did on me. I tried them both, side by side, today, and right now Unbound seems tired, almost vinegary, while AdG is still strong, with a comfortable, warm woody cedar smell. It's just what I like at the end of the work day.

I can say this, though: I purchased a bottle of Unbound for only $12, and therein lies the difference. This is only my first time trying Unbound and so will give it several more goes before I give it away but for me, Acqua di Gio is far superior. If you like AdG, stick with it, it's been the best selling fragrance for men for the past six years...for a reason.

robbert's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Most disgusting scent I have ever smelled. urinal cake YUK!

goldenman170's avatar

Egypt Egypt

Hugo by Hugo Boss

it is very good smell highly attractive and make you feel calm

kittyvanhalen's avatar

Divine by Divine

To me, this smells exactly like Chloe. (The old 80's Lagerfeld version, not the new one.) But it smells like it's been done with MUCH better ingredients, so it gets points added for that. Plus, it's the same name as my beloved cat, so how can I not love it?

jonnylonglegs's avatar

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I have never worn a scent that has been so universally popular with EVERYONE I meet.
    I am always asked what I am wearing or hear "who smells so amazing" It's always me. From flight attendants to guests at a party. Even random strangers when I am shopping. This cologne could get your clothes ripped off.

It's hard to imagine anyone writing a negative review for Terre d'Hermes. I guess it all boils down to chemistry. Thank God this scent and I have it.

This is my everyday cologne now and it never disappoints. I have spent small fortunes on others and have a large collection but always reach for this perfect scent.

I stumbled upon this site and after reading a negative review I had to register just to say how prefect this scent is for me.

Smiley's avatar

Allure Homme by Chanel

Allure is very fresh at the beginning and then becomes warm and sweet. One of my favorite scents.

Baghari by Robert Piguet

what a joy and what a pleasure- one of another great perfumes by robert piguet is back!great job has been done !the opening of this orange chypre! is sensational-what an explosion-this is great symphony, a real masterpiece and the responsable of the restoration has done a perfect work-congratulations!It is a spicy, warm, sensual fruity and aldehydic perfume-to me it´s fresh chypre, becoming a dark warm and powdery scent but never losing it´s complexity specially the chypre fresh note-superb and perfect composition.It´s sophisticated , unique, elegant and a really hors concours- a true masterpiece- a jewel ! It reminds me of the grat guerlain perfumes-this is an example of great parfumery-and definitely outstanding!I am so glad that piguet is back and someone like A.Guichard is able to restore this masterpiece autentically.This is smething for connaisseurs!And try bandit-another restored masterpiece.......................

09 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 18 December, 2010)

RuffDawg's avatar

Prada Intense by Prada

This is one of my favorites, I like it much better than the original Prada, which I also wear. IMO its very unisex. Much more unisex than the original version IMO. Its warm and ambery, slightly leathery, lots of warm woods, tobacco & sweet vanilla. Something about it reminds me of being a kid around Halloween time, and that makes me happy. Its the perfect type of scent for me. I wear this a lot & get numerous complements from women & men alike. Everyone that I have told that its a "womens" perfume, said it didnt smell like a perfume to them at all, they said that it smelled like a mens cologne. Maybe its my chemistry, or just the fact that I have a strong masculine type personality, maybe a combo of the two, I dont know. One problem I have with Prada Intense is the HORRIBLE sprayer, WHAT the heck are they thinking using such a cheap piece of junk?! Im sure it that theyre trying to be fancy or whatever, but c'mon! It isnt airtight one bit, the fragrance will evaporate from the bottle in no time after attaching the atomizer, I learned that from my first bottle, it was like a scented airfreshener difuser, lol, no kidding, my bedroom smelled strongly of Prada as it evaporated from the bottle. I didnt use the first bottle much, and after a few months it was empty except for a layer of thickened oil at the bottom that the EDP had condensed to as it evaporated away. Also, you must keep the bottle perfectly upright when spraying or it will leak all over your hand. It says right on the box "Once cap is unscrewed and atomizer is in place ALWAYS keep the bottle in an upright position to avoid leaking." and wow they arent kidding, i tilted the bottle to spray it under my shirt & it just poured out of the sprayer & all down my arm. What a waste! At least with the original version of Prada they give you a choice of regular spray or that terrible "prestige" spray thing (that costs MORE), but with the intense version theres no choice, its only available with the leaky atomizer. I use it as a splash bottle, this version doesnt even need to be in a spray as it is so much stronger than the original version, the original lasts about an hour on me, the intense version lasts all day & I can even smell it on me the next morning. For me, $140 is kind of pricey for a 1.7oz EDP (especially if you attatch the leaky evaporating atomizer) but a few drops applied here & there lasts subtly throughout the entire day, so its worth the price. Another thing that bugs me is that on a lot of department store websites they show the Intense bottle still in its dark plum colored box with the cap sticking through the top & they describe the bottle as opaque glass, well its not, its the same exact bottle as the original Prada, clear glass. The bottle is in a box within a box & in the photos they havent removed the second box from the bottle, thats confusing & irritating. The Intense juice is slightly darker than the original, same color, just a little darker.

Wordbird's avatar

Wales Wales

Dolce Vita by Christian Dior

Pierre Bourdon's reworking of Feminite du Bois (which he co-created with Christopher Sheldrake). Every ounce of Bourdon's classical training under Edmond Roudnitska shows through here. He takes the fruit and wood (cedar and plums) of FdB and uses it as a bassline, adding a pretty melody of fruit and flowers to give it a more goodnatured and sunny character.

If like me you find FdB a bit too big for you, try Dolce Vita. It's a lovely perfume at home at any time of the year and well worth seeking out. Something of an underrated gem, I think.

Wordbird's avatar

Wales Wales

Dior Addict by Christian Dior

A gigantic sweet vanilla bomb. I absolutely love it and think it's a wonderful vanilla. (And I've tried a lot of them, including the niche stuff.) Don't let the fact that it's widely available put you off trying it.

Diorella by Christian Dior

diorella reminds me of eau sauvage pour homme- a woody citrus, but in comparison to eau sauvage warmer,more sensual, and definitely sweeter, floral-with a touch of melon.A fantastic, elegant and outstanding perfume by the great edmond roudnitska.this perfume can be worn by a man too but in small doses.I prefer it to eau sauvage because it´s brighter,more complex and "rounder "-eau sauvage too me is the prework, the test and diorella the masterpiece, the mature , more superior and reflected version of eau sauvage- they both are great timeless, unique and outstanding perfumes but diorella is the better eau sauvage- the superb ice cream with lots of clotted cram on top- definitely a treasure in the history of perfume making!by the way- another restoration- but to my opinion a good work!

Cravache by Robert Piguet

i haven´t had the possibility to smell the original cravache but the the reformulated and reissued cravache is a huge disappointment, specially when you know that bandit and baghari, two perfumes of piguet have been reformulated fantastically and smell great.Cravache is a cheap, boring citrus scent and i always felt a bad taste of lliquorice....very unsettling note...-nothing interesting and definitely does not make you dream of more.........an older friend told me that the old cravache had a trace of leather and another ingredient was bergamot-so this one is something totally different!by the way if you look for intelligent,good masculine fragrances then i recommend the classical and timeless scents as eau sauvage by dior-azzarro pour homme-vetiver by guerlain-habit rouge-troisieme homme by caron-aramis for men-lauder for men.If you want to dare it: cuir de russie by chanel, bandit by piguet.

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme by Paco Rabanne

This is a man´s scent- very masculine : a citrus-woody scent,very aromatic, full flavoured,powerful.It reminds meof Azzaro pour home which i love very much too.paco rabannes fragrance is a fresh crispy and spicy scent- timeless and classical! It´s a man´s fragrance-big strong handsome guys, self-confident and virile.And you will whrerever you are recognize it among all the scents because this one is unique! And the bottle- simple and good!

Impact Pour un Homme by Caron

this is pour un homme concentrated- a huge bunch of vanilla and lavender- not more not less! to me nothing outstanding, special or unique.Again a reformulation that fails.The Original of 1954 was great but this is a poor and bad mixture of the ingredients of pour un homme-by the way a really good scent!

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

not worth to review.

i would love to know what is going on in the minds of the responsables at chanel!!!???

if you think of pour monsieur and antaeus, two really great scents-so what has happenend in the meantime to this company-

producing cheap citrus scents that you easily can buy in any drugstore for less money - do only ask for a shower gel and you

get an absolutely better smelling one................

allure edition blanche is a slap in the face- one of the worst launches in the last years!

Kiehl's Original Musk by Kiehl's

This is a gorgeous, heavy-languid scent… not my style at all. It has a sweet, honeyed opening which is quite perfumey. The florals are heady and beautiful, giving prominence to rose and jasmine. The musk is potent, sweaty and animalic. It is kind of rubbery too… and hard to describe. I get an image of an eraser in a sunny classroom, held by a girl’s hand. In her purse is an old make-up case of lipstick and powder. check it out, it is interesting.

Solo Loewe by Loewe

Lavender, Thyme, Bergamot, Lemon, Mandarin, Nutmeg, Cinammon, Pink Pepper, Amber, Musk
    It is hard for me to generate any enthusiasm for yet another bland, fresh scent. This is so light-weight it is almost a non-scent. In its favor: it is not sweet, heavy, cloying, has no obnoxious amber. It is simply a vague cloud of indeterminate freshness. I can’t see spending money on this – a good bar of soap gives about the same result.

Artisan by John Varvatos

This is a very mellow, restrained scent, basically orange-centered. The opening has lovely orange-citrus notes which are round rather than crisp. The scent deepens and darkens slightly, with restrained and smooth herbal notes and very light woods. The scent remains subtle and translucent. At times I think the restraint gives this a haunting quality; at other times I grow impatient for a bit more character. I appreciate it but am not greatly enthusiastic about it.

Moneysuckle's avatar

Kiehl's Pour Homme Essence Oil by Kiehl's

Son of Oscar Pour Lui, cousin of Havana's basenotes. Linear but very masculine. Sillage/longevity monster.

TaraYvonne's avatar

Fou d'Absinthe by L'Artisan Parfumeur

The absinthe faded to pine tree as soon as it dried down...never smelled absinthe before but I'm sure it contains no pine? Because if it does who on earth would drink it? If you like pine then this is for you. If you want to smell like more, look elsewhere. I think I need to explore more versions of absinthe to get a better idea of how it would be. Also it stays very close to the skin, very little projection. So if you want anyone at all to smell you then look elsewhere. I'm giving it a neutral because I expected more, more of everything really. Lasting power, strength, booziness, and certainly less pine. The whole thing confuses me. I really wanted to love this, but I can't. But it is unusual so I won't give it a negative based on the creativity that L'Artisan is so good at.

SirSlarty's avatar

Swiss Guard by Swiss Guard

A slightly soapier and powdery Cool Water. Aromatic fougere at first and oddly dries down into an oakmoss. Not bad but fairly generic.

Park Royal by Anglia Perfumery

First up, I have to say that, unlike an awful lot of people, I enjoy a fragrance with a powerful clove note/accord. And Crown Park Royal certainly has that, in spades!

Noting the negative reviews I decided to find out for myself. Like the previous writer, I agree that there is a strong similarity with the Green Polo by Ralph Lauren. (Which is certainly no bad thing in itself)

Usually, a powerful eucalyptus/menthol/mint accord tends to 'cheapen' a fragrance, to my mind at least, it draws comparisons with a million toothpastes and mouthwashes and bargain-basement deodorants. But when you consider that the fragrance was launched sometime around 1929, this would hardly have applied.

Even the eucalyptus (to my nose at least) is subservient to the clove. The clove is so dominant in this fragrance that if you're any way hesitant about clove you'd be best advised to steer well clear of Crown Park Royal.

Even for somebody who enjoys cloves (and I agree with one of the previous writers who noted that it is a 'dry' clove scent) I find it unlikely there are many people out there who could wear this as an everyday/office signature scent. It's just too demanding, in a love-it-or-hate-it Kouros-esque way.
    But worn on occasion, I find it an unusual fragrance, demanding, impetuous, but at least (in a world of citrus-y metrosexual aquatics) interesting. I'm going to give it a thumbs-up because it at least has the ability to pique my interest on the occasions when I return to it.
    For some reason, it reminds me a lot of what a curator in a musty natural history museum might wear....or perhaps an English University lecturer with a drink problem...

Not everyone's cup of tea, for sure, but I like it.

Royal Water by Creed

A sparling, effervescent delight the moment it reaches the skin. Like Himalaya, it gives me a sense of uplifting exuberance, like I was at a party on a lovely summer evening conversing with close friends. One of Creed's finest, IMHO.

Tabaróme Millésime by Creed

Noting the ingrediants (Lemon, Tobacco, Sandlewoood and Vetiver) I thought I was in fragrance heaven and bought it blind on ebay.
    It seemed 'watery' in it's consistency, which made me wonder was it a fake. I then went and sampled it in several places, and realised that it wasn't.
    I generally enjoy a fragrance with a tobacco note (I had quit smoking when I purchased it, so maybe there was some kind of osmotic wish-fulfilment at play here) and it's certainly enjoyable in this fragrance.
    I'm not sure if I'm the only reviewer who senses something 'harsh' about this fragrance....the notes aren't seemlessly blended together, but each (at least to my nose) seems to 'jar' with the next. What I mean is that the notes don't appear to work as a 'team,' but as individuals. It starts with lemon, then the lemon disappears, a ginger note arrives, then disappears etc etc
    Once again (my eternal problem) my skin seems to be a fragrance graveyard! Almost everybody I've spoken to about this fragrance seems to vouch for it's Opium EDP-like longevity. Not on me! It seems to exist on my skin for about an hour before disappearing into the vaguest of skin scents.
    I ca understand reviewers describing women appreciating it's undeniable masculinity and I wanted to like this because of the ingredients present, but there's a harshness to it and a discordant mingling of notes (in the way of certain Serge Lutens scents, where the notes work against each other, though more effectively than here in many of the Lutens line...)

It reminds me of atonal, discordant music, where the keys played jar.
    To summarise, not a bad scent, and more than wearable, but very underwhelming compared to my preconceived idea of it.