Fragrance Reviews from April 2009

bloodhoundbob's avatar
    bloodhoundbob
    Ireland Ireland

Tabaróme Millésime by Creed

Noting the ingrediants (Lemon, Tobacco, Sandlewoood and Vetiver) I thought I was in fragrance heaven and bought it blind on ebay.
    It seemed 'watery' in it's consistency, which made me wonder was it a fake. I then went and sampled it in several places, and realised that it wasn't.
    I generally enjoy a fragrance with a tobacco note (I had quit smoking when I purchased it, so maybe there was some kind of osmotic wish-fulfilment at play here) and it's certainly enjoyable in this fragrance.
    I'm not sure if I'm the only reviewer who senses something 'harsh' about this fragrance....the notes aren't seemlessly blended together, but each (at least to my nose) seems to 'jar' with the next. What I mean is that the notes don't appear to work as a 'team,' but as individuals. It starts with lemon, then the lemon disappears, a ginger note arrives, then disappears etc etc
    Once again (my eternal problem) my skin seems to be a fragrance graveyard! Almost everybody I've spoken to about this fragrance seems to vouch for it's Opium EDP-like longevity. Not on me! It seems to exist on my skin for about an hour before disappearing into the vaguest of skin scents.
    I ca understand reviewers describing women appreciating it's undeniable masculinity and I wanted to like this because of the ingredients present, but there's a harshness to it and a discordant mingling of notes (in the way of certain Serge Lutens scents, where the notes work against each other, though more effectively than here in many of the Lutens line...)

It reminds me of atonal, discordant music, where the keys played jar.
    To summarise, not a bad scent, and more than wearable, but very underwhelming compared to my preconceived idea of it.

bloodhoundbob's avatar
    bloodhoundbob
    Ireland Ireland

Original Santal by Creed

To my nose, a pleasant, slightly more effervescent (not to mention more expensive) reworking of Joop!
    No more, no less.
    Not bad by any means, but too similar to the aforementioned to be worth forking out the cash for.

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

I enjoys this fragrance. To me it was a woodsy scent but it had a suntan lotion quality about it. I would gladly buy this again as it had its own personality and uniqueness to it.

By Man by Dolce & Gabbana

Now this here is a nice lavender type scent but it is a little on the musky side. To me, I smell musk, tea and lavender. Not a bad combo. The scent carries nicely and last for the whole day. Glad I have this one.

Safari for Men by Ralph Lauren

This scent may be a little dated, but it is still in my opinion a good scent. I would describe this as a good sleeper scent.

Sentiment for Men by Escada

This is one of those scents that may not be for everyone and it is something that you have to be in the mood for. At first try, it smelled like lavender scented pine sol to me and I walked away from it. When I got home though it turned into a deep woodsy fruity scent that had plenty of depth and I loved it and eventually I went back for it and I am glad I did.

Polo Double Black by Ralph Lauren

The other guys in here are right. It starts out citrus like and fresh, but it goes to a dark coffee like woody undertone. It is not bad and it is worth a try, but I have had better.

Sunset Heat for Men by Escada

This is an aquatic cucumber melon type scent. I do like it and it would make a great summer scent. The only issue I have with it is that it needs improvement in the longevity department. On me, it will only last for a couple of hours. I does not quite earn the five star mark form me because it does not last long, I will because it is a decent scent give it four stars.

Armani Attitude by Giorgio Armani

This is a pretty nice cologne. To me, it is a citrus with woodsy fragrance. This is a nice one. I don't quite know how best to describe this scent as I do not have anything to compare it to. Note; The first day I wore this, I could tell people were checking me out and they were not running away, so that says something to me.

Escada Moon Sparkle for Men by Escada

This is not the worst scent out there. It does smell like a lot of other "Cucumbery" type scents. To me, it is missing something and I cannot quite put my finger on it. This is a decent summer scent though, but nothing spectacular.

ripleyX's avatar
    ripleyX

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I bought this based upon the reviews here and awards.

It's a unique smell.
    Very citrusy at first with the top notes, but then as it wears down to the base notes it smells okay.
    A bit refreshing in the sense of acqua/giorgio armani or cool water but a lot more citrus and oranges.

Unique. 4 stars.

However, I don't think it deserves the massive accolades it has gotten. Look before you leap.

ripleyX's avatar
    ripleyX

Kenzo Power by Kenzo

It's a nice smell.
    Woody, floral, sweet, but masculine.
    Lasts long too.

Similar smells: Fleur de Male, Le Male, Eternity.

Mariano's avatar
    Mariano
    Argentina Argentina

Armani Attitude Extreme by Giorgio Armani

I really liked this one, Armani has changed some notes to make the intense version of Attitude, The anis note smells very well and it lasts around 6-7 hours on my skin. I will wait until Attitude finish before adding this to my collection.

Theasylph's avatar
    Theasylph

Magnifique by Lancôme

the first seconds remind me a litle of le feu d'issey... a tiny bit of spice and then i smelled lychee and it lingered nicely for a while and then it all fell apart into something unpleasant. it is almost nice but the dry down isn't pleasant to me

xmen's avatar
    xmen
    Singapore Singapore

Bal à Versailles by Jean Desprez

I was ready to dislike this. It can be had cheaply and the rather girlish bottle potents something cloying and outdated. Well, I was wrong. While I wasn't completely wowed over by the rather fascinating light oriental floral of the eau de cologne, the drydown is one of the most ravishing I've smelled for a while. Really beautiful. Cheap and beautiful- yes, that is possible!

esquirol's avatar
    esquirol

Un Matin d'Orage by Annick Goutal

Reminds me of Donna Karan Gold. to me smells like some other apologetic scents. Lacks originality, even if the fresh water and soft distant, shy delicate flower smell may feel charming.
    Well I suppose I am disappointed.
    At times a whiff of surprising candour, almost sad, reaches up to my nose.

karisuma's avatar
    karisuma

Armani Privé Eau de Jade by Giorgio Armani

What's so prive about it? That's what I found myself asking as I put on Eau de Jade from the Armani Prive collection. Average-smelling, this is an unspectacular citrusy cologne with a hint of pepper. I certainly did not find it worthy of its high-end retail price of $100+. I couldn't even justify spending $30 on it at Marshall's.

perfumista's avatar
    perfumista

Madame Rochas (new) by Rochas

I bought this because it was in fact said to be inspired by the Chanel line. I found it to be quite different on me. I find the Chanels to be very aldehydic even in the greener 19. MR was a blast of floral that quickly died down to a very animalic chypre. Not used to this type of perfume, I didn't quite know what to make of it, but soon grew to love it.

MR :

Bulgarian Rose, Iris, Jasmine, Rose De Mai, Cedar, Sandalwood and Incense.

JessicaGrace's avatar
    JessicaGrace

L by Lolita Lempicka

Odd. I loved the sound of orange, cinnamon, and vanilla, but I don't smell any of those on me. Almost no top notes at all. Goes on immediately as a salty/smoky/leather accord and stays that way. Silage is very modest -- stays close to the skin throughout. I have to really sniff myself to smell it. The smokey/salty note reminds me strongly of cigarettes a sweat -- the way my clothes used to smell in the morning when I'd been out dancing all night the night before.

Not unpleasant. Just nothing like what I was expecting. Wearing it underneath something lighter and sweeter -- I tried Coco Mademoiselle -- might lend that scent an interesting bottom. A little bit of bad girl underneath all those flowers.

Uppercut's avatar
    Uppercut

FCUK Him by French Connection

For a $14 purchase, including bodywash, at TJ Maxx, this was a great buy. Some complain that it's too synthetic. Maybe it is. . but it smells damn good. the Lavendar and Vanilla immediately surround you and playfully slap you across the face beforeswirling around your body. I wore this last night on my right forearm at TJ Maxx and immediatley knew it was a MUST BUY. Hours later, I was still in bed with that one spray generating enough scent for me to wave my arm under my nose.

So far I really like it, and would pay full price for it if I had to. It's not a formalwear scent, but its somthing you can put on for the office without offending and spray yourself with on your way out the door to hang out with friends or a girl.

adonis's avatar
    adonis

Néroli Sauvage by Creed

If Neroli Sauvage was a movie it would be called - "Gone in Sixty Seconds". Premature olfactication. The opening is terrific - a beautiful sort of lemony intoxication. There's almost no middle or base notes. So much promise but ultimately disappointing.

karelin7's avatar
    karelin7

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Rare is the fragrance so repellent I can't wait to scrub it off my wrist. A Men is actually the first to have that distinction. Cat piss on cotton candy isn't a bad description but I was thinking more like frankincense mixed with baby powder. Sweet, with a strong incense note and a very unpleasant artificial something that smells like burning rubber. If I smelled this on a woman with whom I was in the throes of passion I could overlook it but on any other occasion, disgusting.

karelin7's avatar
    karelin7

Coney Island by Bond No. 9

Take a synthetic lemon scent--think Pledge--add citronella, and that faux musky base that gives so many "masculine" frags that putrid brassy funk, and that's Coney Island. Cheap, synthetic, and nauseating. Can't imagine anyone over the age of twelve wearing this.

10th April, 2009 (Last Edited: 03 May, 2009)

apexual's avatar
    apexual

Eau des Vanilliers by L'Occitane

Went to buy a second bottle of this last year and was super disappointed to find that it was being discontinued. I should have bought everything they had. I get a too-tingling floral burst for the first minutes, but the drydown is such a masterpiece on my skin I'd get a "You smell amazing!" every day I wore it. It's such a pure warm sophisticated vanilla with none of that sharp fakeness or teenybop candy sweetness, and wears so deliciously close to my skin for a day and a half. It's even sexier smelled on your skin the morning after you apply it. I can't believe this was discontinued in Canada. I conserve what little I have left and receive a sort of "welcome back" from my boyfriend on the days I wear it.

Gilgamesh2003's avatar
    Gilgamesh2003

Lilac Vegetal by Pinaud

A wonderful lilac scent - it starts out smelling like fresh-cut flowers or a hot greenhouse, then rapidly dries down to powdery lilacs. Light and floral but still masculine. It's also ultra-cheap and very few younger men seem to wear it. Don't be fooled by the scent in the bottle (which is nasty), this transforms on the skin.

Burberry for Women by Burberry

I wish I still liked this perfume. I used to wear it to the office every day, but I now find it too cloying. Maybe having a couple of kids has changed my sense of smell.

Escada Sport Spirit by Escada

Fun, summery, citris, fruity without being juvenile.

Polo Crest by Ralph Lauren

I can't believe they discontinued this fragrance. I lighter, more sophisticated version of Polo. I love the original Polo, but everyone and anyone owned it in the 80s. This is more distinctive.

Woods of Windsor for Gentleman by Woods of Windsor

Good solid "gentlemanly" fragrance. Subtle, woody.

Feuilles de Tabac by Miller Harris

This is an off and on scent for me. Sometimes is smells absolutely gorgeous, and at other times it smells cheap and give me a headache. Nukapai has done a nice job of explaining the gorgeous side.