Fragrance Reviews from April 2009

sabrosa's avatar

Eucalyptus by Thymes

Sometimes I love this scent - mostly in the summer months, when it smells of lime and herbs. However, I cant stand it in the winter when it smells like an old lady wearing cleaning fluids. Tricky scent for me.

paulovitor's avatar

Brazil Brazil

Pi by Givenchy

Just bought and worked perfectly on my skin for about 5 hours.
    Unlike Gaultier² that simply does not last on me.
    I can detect some citrus at firt, but then it fades away to a nice vannila and a little orange smell.
    I liked a lot and I don´t find it extremely sweet.

jasmine_dream's avatar

Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta by Acqua di Parma

I truly love Assoluta. I did a "blitz" of trying 8 different AdP scents last night and this one won out! I felt this scent for me was just this side of femine for a unisex scent. But my husband said he would wear it also. I do get the lemon at first, but definitely floral middle and base notes. This scent does evolve as you wear it, but I love all stages of this scent. I had previuosly bought Bulgari Jasmine Noir, and though this is different, it has a similar scent complexity. I find this heavier and more intoxicating... and it truly envelopes you. And there is a sense of old-world elegence to this fragance. I feel rich and priviliged (at least while wearing it)... :}

PS Aboslutely NO Lemon Pledge for Assoluta

bonzo's avatar

Germany Germany

Monsieur Balmain (new) by Pierre Balmain

leomons over lemons- not more not less- only a huge lemon juice.extremely intense lemon feeling -very fresh.if you like citrus scents there are more refined ones like eau sauvage etc- a better choice!the vintage version of monsieur balmain was definitely better!

10th April, 2009 (Last Edited: 16 April, 2011)

odysseusm's avatar

Vintage by John Varvatos

Santolina is a Mediterranean shrub which is also known as Lavender Cotton – it is not a true lavender plant. It yields a oil which has a camphor-like fresh note.
    This was a major disappointment. Lavender, juniper, fir balsam – these have great potential. This is a somewhat bland, fresh scent. The opening is sweetish, with that disappointing generic synthetic note which is typical of many current fragrances. Mild hints of a soapy patchouli or a cool fir note linger at the periphery. There is the merest hint of tobacco smoke in the drydown, which then gets a bit candy-sweet due to the patchouli and tonka. Another fresh, clean smell. Blah.

10th April, 2009 (Last Edited: 12 July, 2011)

KiatBkk's avatar

Thailand Thailand

Nautica Blue by Nautica

To my surprise, this one lasts a long time and is one of the best modern aquatic scents out there. The opening is fresh, sharp and you're transferred into the midst of the ocean, finding yourself drinking iced pineapple juice mixed with berry. The top note lasts longer than usual, and the middle smells great. It's cool, crisp, and very modern. The drydown is a bit sweet and musky, although not spectacular yet the top and the middle stages make this scent a good choice for summer wear.

Erolfa by Creed

The BEST Creed I have ever experienced.

Encouraged by others on this Excellent Site, I bought the shower gel on eBay. I liked it. It was not very complex and was suitable for shaving, as well as a shampoo. I was enticed to try the real thing.

I bought a 2006 tester for $50.00 (2.5 oz) and it changed everything. Whatever I knew, or thought I knew, about fragrances, about Creed fragrances, disappeared into this lovely, ever-changing, vapor. It is citrusy, complex, and the millisime aqua note appears, softly glowing underneath. It is intoxicating and fine. It does not shout; it whispers refinement and seductivity.

I had previously favored Neroli Sauvage and MI, but Erolfa, while a bit of a blend of the two, has a 'dirty; note that baffles me. It draws one in again; ever complex and luxuriously fragrant. It changes, often and beautifully.

It does not last long. But I have discovered a way. After shaving, to spray the face generously and rub it in. Then a non-scented moisturizer over that. Then spray again. It will last a while. Maybe 4 hours. I decanted some into a travel spritzer also. You never know.

The women ADORE this fragrance. I have had so many noses in my neck, thanks to Erolfa, than I have lost count. "You smell so good!" they say.

They are right. There is, for me, no better Creed than Erolfa.

11th April, 2009 (Last Edited: 15 September, 2009)

Jean-Charles de Castelbajac by Jean-Charles Castelbajac

Fantastic. Elegant, unique and perfect for a formal - or even semi-formal - evening. I have been a long-time fan of 4711 as my everyday aftershave. When I saw Jean-Charles de Castelbajac on eBay, and that it was made by Muehlens, I had to try it. It was a smart move; it's terrific. It's warm, woody, inviting and appealing. Highly recommended.

Omnia Amethyste by Bulgari

I live on one of the Pacific Islands, and a girl I know visited me for a couple of days. She wore Omnia Amethyste and I thought it was terrific. Because it was light and delicate I thought, at first, I was smelling her shampoo. Then me she showed me her little spray bottle and I took a sniff. If I was a woman I would definitely give this a shot.

I note that some of the other reviewers do not like this fragrance, but - as we know - fragrances smell differently on different people. Skin chemistry I guess. Anyhow my friend created a memorable and lasting impression on me with this delightful creation.

Zerby's avatar

Vetyver by L'Occitane

I have to say that this is one of the best Vetyver's out there. I plan to get a bottle soon. I doubt that they discontinued it though. It sells like hotcakes at the L'occitane in Minnesota. It does last for a long time. Which is good. I love the price too $46.

alpine's avatar

England England

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

Dries down, for me, to a primarily vanilla sweetness with peppery ginger overtones. Not bad, but quite simple. It does last OK on my skin. At the start, smells better than it ends up really. It's a pity the start is not prolonged.

11th April, 2009 (Last Edited: 27 January, 2010)

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon by Comme des Garçons

OMG eww. I have no idea if a man could pull this off, but I suspect more so than a woman. Incense, musty cedar and even a little pine to my nose. This is not beautiful to me, not even close. It does capture an aging musty church. Do you really want to smell like this? Me...not so much. The incense is so muted that it smells like it could be only the residue of burnings past left on a very old and musty curtain. I put this on, gagged, ran for my strongest bottle of something else-doused myself to cover this up...failed miserably and took a shower and changed clothes. Yep, I can cross this off my list. Sorry if this offends the lovers of Avignon..nothing personal. Beauty is in the nose of the beholder and this just means there will be more for you.

Philosykos by Diptyque

I agree with moltening. Except change the coconut to a banana skin. A little too green, it does smell unripe. If this were just a little more ripe it would be nearly perfect. I have been looking for a fig that sits well with me, and dang it I almost had it! A little richer and stronger and this would have been it. So close! But not quite there. I'm still giving it a positive because if you like green this is perfect and so unique. I really like sniffing it, but I still want less green in the mix. But very well done anyway, very well done.

Fifi Chachnil by Fifi Chachnil

I adore this, I've added it to my very small list of loves. If this were a woman, she would be an adorable little french girl wearing a coy parisian dress-her personality would be sexy with attitude. I tried the edp and it was really lovely, it has a "Come here, boy..." quality that can't be denied. This may sound crazy but it has a pink bubblegum hint (to my nose), sweet rose, along with a little rich tobacco thrown in the mix. I've read it's the coriander that gives it the va va voom. This could only come from a woman who designs 1950's style lingerie in Paris. It did...and Fifi perfectly captures the spirit of that. Well done!

Fig / Figuier by Ava Luxe

Unlike the previous review I like my fig to smell a little more like fig and a little less green. But this is very nice, it seems stronger than L'Artisan's and longer lasting. I adore L'Artisan's version but the longevity is very poor and so is the projection-you have to lift your wrist to smell it at all and then it seems to be gone in no time. This one starts out so green it doesn't smell like fig, but rather the tree's leaves. After the dry down is when the fruit emerges. But as with L'Artisan and also with Philosykos it wears so close to the skin that I have trouble with the idea of spending money on it if no one can smell it. I can barely smell it. I have to lift my wrist to smell it at all. When I do, it's lovely. The green is now gone, leaving a musky light hint of fig. But that's it. Just a hint. My search for a holy grail fig is still on. I want it stronger, so that I can smell it when I move around without lifting my shirt collar or wrist up to my nose. I'm giving it a neutral because it leaves me wanting more.

SirSlarty's avatar

Salvatore Ferragamo pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

An odd one. Figgy, lots of clove and the drydown is a clean, soapy vetiver and cedarwood. This would be a nice change of pace to wear once in a while.

SirSlarty's avatar

Theorema Uomo by Fendi

Fresh and clean and reminds me a bit of Mugler Cologne and Paul Smith Story's vetiver based clean scents. Much greener however with a slight fizziness to it. Feels less casual than the playful Mugler Cologne. nice.

L'Anarchiste by Caron

Caron L'Anarchiste

It was early in my exploration of scents that I tried the Caron "masculine holy trinity" of pour Un Homme, Le 3me Homme, and Yatagan. They were all excellent scents on me. It took a little while longer for me to try L'Anarchiste. Richard Fraysse created L'Anarchiste in 2000 and it is encased in a striking copper bottle designed by Serge Mansau. This is one of those cases where everyone involved artistically on this should be pleased. The top notes are orange in the form of mandarin which quickly are joined by the clean lines of cedar. As this prgresses into the heart the orange becomes lighter and sandalwood joins the cedar to add a creaminess to the wood and to soften some of the edges that cedar brings to this scent. The woods stick around as a plush musk takes over and then the edge returns in the form of vetiver to round out the base. L'Anarchiste fits easily into the trio of Caron men's scents that came before. L'anarchiste falls closer to Yatagan than to either Le 3me Homme or pour Un Homme but really has its own unique place on the Caron spectrum. Looks like the "holy trinity" just gained a fourth.

Dzongkha by L'Artisan Parfumeur

L'Artisan Dzongkha

As a lover of incense scents Bertrand Duchaufour has become my "go-to" nose for these kinds of scents. In his incense portfolio he has Amouiage Jubilation XXV, CdG Kyoto and Avignon, and L'Artisan Aedes and Timbuktu. In 2006 he created a second scent for L'Artisan playing on some of the themes he explored in 2004's Timbuktu. If Timbuktu was the incense of the streets, Dzongkha is the incense of the temple. The combination of floral notes with the incense makes this a much more refined experience than Timbuktu. Right from the top there is a beautiful sweet floral which according to the notes is peony. This slowly becomes the more focused and less-sweet iris. The heart is a mix of the spiciness of cardamom, the smokiness of tea, and the watery sweetness of lychee. Underneath all of this, right from the beginning, is the incense. At the beginning it is lighter and taking second-billing to the floral notes. In the heart is has become part of the ensemble adding both smoke and sweet to the other notes. Finally in the base it has the stage to itself and gives off a memorable soliloquy for my nose. It is always nice that the constants in one's life are there and for me M. Duchaufour, incense notes and excellent scents are becoming as sure a thing as the sun coming up.

Divin'enfant by Etat Libre d'Orange

Etat Libre D'Orange Divin' Enfant

Antoine Lie has done two of my favorite Etat Libre D'Orange scents to date, Rossy de Palma and Vierges et Toreros. Both of those scents are very different and I was looking forward to see what M. Lie would do with a note list of: orange blossom, marshmallow, rose, mocha, leather, amber, musk, and tobacco. With a roster like that you would probably think gourmand but this 2006 scent doesn't come off like that on me. The top is the floral sweetness of orange blossom combined with the marshmallow note. This is that slightly sweet, slightly doughy note you get when you open the bag of marshmallows for the first time. It is that doughiness that keeps this from being too sweet. The sweet nature begins to modulate in the heart as the chocolate-coffee mocha note along with rose and a sweet amber keep this sweet. The coffee note is evenly balanced with both the rose and amber which keeps this from feeling like a coffee centered scent on me. Finally in the base the sweetness centers around the smell of leather and tobacco leaf combined with a deep musk. Divin' Enfant is a tone poem of sweet on my skin from the intensity of the top to a more restrained level in the base to a sweetness paired with animalic notes in the base. When I want something sweet that won't cause my insulin level to rise this is the style of scent I'm looking for.

Musc Nomade by Annick Goutal

Annick Goutal Musc Nomade

Musc Nomade is one of four scents in the Les Orientalistes line created in 2008 by Isabelle Doyen and Camille Goutal. The inspiration for these scents was said to be the smells of the harem. Up until now while enjoying the other Les Oriantalistes I haven't been whisked away to my mental seraglio. Musc Nomade achieves the stated goal admirably. Musc is one of my favorite notes to see interpreteted by different perfumers and in Musc Nomade MMes. Doyen and Goutal choose to go for the less earthy musc and instead use a combination of three white muscs to add a layer of brightness to this. At the top, the first of the white muscs comes out and it is paired with the nutty note of almond. The almond adds a little sweetness to the airiness of the musc and gets this off to a sparkling start. The heart undergoes a shift as the musc changes and gains a little more depth along with a new partner, tonka, Once again it is a little sweet mixed with the musc and creating a nice accord. The base is also a mix of musc and sweet in the presence of Bombay wood which is the sweetness of papyrus. As this progresses the musc gets a little more pronounced and a little more power until the mix at the end feels very sensual. This is a beautiful light musc which feels light on my skin but yet has a subtle intensity that I enjoy all during its development. No musc is ever going to be completely clean but Musc Nomade has the quality of feeling exotic and a little erotic which fits a scent trying to evoke a harem.

ausamamira's avatar

Jordan Jordan

Versace Man Eau Fraîche by Versace

I like this fragrance very much ... specially the Cedar note ... fresh and nice smell .... very good summer scent .....a lot of compliments too .... it is a different kind of freshness...different than the very common lemony/citrusy freshnes that i became bored of ....

Bratsche's avatar

Patou pour Homme (original) by Jean Patou

While I like this (oh hell, I love it), I don't want to get too chummy with it, as I have only a small bottle, which I know won't last. This shares many of the qualities of Derby, though whereas Derby seems gone in 30 minutes on me, Patou goes on and on. On me, the drydowns are indistinguishable from one another. Warm, luxurious: tell me again why this was discontinued.

ripleyX's avatar

Blu pour Homme by Bulgari

It's woody.
    And yes, it has that scent of "I've just come out of the shower with that very soapy smell" on the drydown.
    It doesn't last long, or maybe it's not strong enough, or maybe it reacts differently on my skin.
    Nice smell, nonetheless. You smell clean and fresh, crisp, woody.

xmen's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Derby by Guerlain

Sometimes great expectation precedes great disappointment. And Derby, one of the great Guerlain does not disappoint. Not one bit. From a vintage vial (strange, the box read copyright 1983 but Derby was only launched two years later?), Derby is honestly one of the greatest leather chrypre scent that I have the pleasure to smell. I really, really love this classic and shall guard my 2ml vial with my life.

xmen's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Ho Hang Club by Balenciaga

A very virile, hairy and potent 80s scent. Slightly loud and dated now. For this kind of scent, I think Lauder for men is more sophisticated and interesting.

L'Essence de Déclaration by Cartier

Essence begins in the spirit of Déclaration, but has a much smoother, slightly less pugnacious attitude. The fresh, crisp opening has been polished expertly to afford it a level of refinement hard to find in modern perfumery. Having been captivated by the initial treasures, one is led into a labyrinthine drydown of nuanced complexity and exquisite edginess. The hollow qualities of the vetiver add an extra dimension to an already outstanding medley of luxurious accords. Rarely have I found a fragrance so able to continue giving until its expiry.

Santos by Cartier

An eminently wearable fusion of fresh, crisp top note components with warmer edgier elements. The opening seems dominated by the presence of the Bergamot, which combined with Basil creates a tightened, astringent yet surpisingly pleasant accord. The real delights occur further into the Santos experience, when some real masculine staples enter the fray. The warmth from the woods married to the the condiment components in the middle notes creates an attitude of strength and success. This may not be the best in the Cartier showroom, but it more than holds its own.

Fleur du Matin by Miller Harris

This is yet another occasion where I would classify something by this house as being unisex rather than feminine. It feels very linear on my skin, the only evolution is a subtle change of gear from the sweetly floral genesis to a floral citrus blend that is slightly tart, but subtle enough to be refreshing and crisp. The longevity is relatively poor, and I can really only imagine a hot weather use for this, when you just want an ephemeral pick-me-up post shower.

Fleur Oriental by Miller Harris

A delightfully understated, yet charming blend of floral whimsy and oriental edginess. One of the better balanced creations from Miller Harris, it has the potential for unisex categorization. Nothing seems to dominate, and this allows the ingredients to weave a very warm and subtle accord that affords the wearer the opportunity to use this on any occasion.