Fragrance Reviews from April 2009

Bartlebooth's avatar

Fleur Oriental by Miller Harris

A delightfully understated, yet charming blend of floral whimsy and oriental edginess. One of the better balanced creations from Miller Harris, it has the potential for unisex categorization. Nothing seems to dominate, and this allows the ingredients to weave a very warm and subtle accord that affords the wearer the opportunity to use this on any occasion.

Island Vibe by Avon

This is very Escada summer-fragrance type scent. It doesn't smell like Paris Hilton at all in my opinion (I have them both). Lasting power is good on me. It really suits summer, but this perfume is not very fresh. For this price it is great, but in general nothing special.

Be...Sensual by Avon

It appears nice if you look up the notes, in person bottle looks cute too. Smells kinda artificial, but lasting power... this is the most lasting thing ever! I sprayed one time to my wrist in the middle of day and took a shower in evening - and after shower it was still there. The notes : kiwi, rose and amber.

Fairy Dust by Paris Hilton

Smells like Juicy Couture, but lasts longer (Juicy Couture lasts up to two hours only). Similarity with Juicy is only with the top notes. Fairy Dust top notes are a bit bitter that Juicy's - there it's more aquatic feeling and a bit stronger too. Dry-down of Fairy Dust is also cute and really suits the name- sweet, but not sugary- the flower sweetness. packaging is simply beautiful and bottle cute too- minimalistic- nothing to add.

Pachinko's avatar

Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès

I'd love to review this, but it lasted about five minutes before disappearing completely. It's laugable. I thought that Hiris was bad....

robbert's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

My favourite, I almost strictly wear this and sometimes Antaeus when it is needed. With these 2 I'm set for life.

Jitterbug Perfume Lover's avatar

Aloha Tiaré / Tiaré by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

I've been lucky enough to have visited Hawaii several times; and even luckier to have vacationed there with a devilishly handsome man walking in the moonlight with a warm breeze and the scent of hawaiian flowers and moonlit water in the air. This perfume transports me instantly back to that place and time when I wear it. I can even picture a frangipani flower tucked behind my ear and a lei around my neck; the warm water lapping at my feet.
    Oh yes, this one will definitely always be a part of my wardrobe. Thumbs way up for me.

Jitterbug Perfume Lover's avatar

Vanille Extreme by Comptoir Sud Pacifique

I love this scent and I especially love that it's not a soft vanilla, but a spicy vanilla. It's got more attitude, and I wear it when I want to feel feminine and bratty; like a beautiful trickster. I've always said that men love women who smell like food, and this scent definitely does the trick for me. On many occasions when I've worn this scent alone or layered, I often get approached by men who want to know what I'm wearing. My boyfriend simply nibbles his approval on my neck.
    This one is definitely one of my wardrobe staples.

percy's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

Essentials for Men by Rexona

Excellent stuff, I am looking to buy the same again but cannot find it anywhere in the market?

Keene's avatar

Trésor (new) by Lancôme

I agree with other posts that the initial scent of this perfume is a little displeasing to the nose, but after about fifteen to twenty minutes on me it softens out to a very light, pleasing scent that keeps its compsure for many hours.

I have worn this perfume for over a year now, and I disagree with the opinion that it can't be worn in the work place. The scent can be over-powering if sprayed liberally, but by those women that wear uniforms or suits, simply spraying it once on the back of the neck and under the hair, or on an undershirt or the skin before donning the uniform works very well. I have only ever received compliments with this fragrance and it has never been pointed out as an offending or overpowering scent. In fact, I work in a very high-stress environment in extremely close confines and people are very quick to point out strong perfumes and colognes as a distractor in the working environment, yet I have still never received any negative feedback.

In my experience, this perfume goes well when on a romantic date but can also be worn in a professional setting if applied correctly.

Bigsly's avatar

Ungaro I by Ungaro

I can now handle the powerful lavender blasts of fragrances like Ungaro I. Once the powerful opening subsides, I get a lot of sweetneess (not A*Men but more than I prefer these days). There is also clear patchouli, which lasts for hours. If you want a cheap version of this, try Enrico Sebastiano Fine Cologne, which I feel is cruder and the ingredient quality seems lower, as one might expect. As things continue, it's like a cross between ESFC and Giorgio of Beverly Hills for men (I've only tried the new versioin) U1 is richer to me in a certain way, which might be the wormwood note and/or the quality of ingredients. However, because it is a bit too sweet for me (sort of like a rum sweetness, as others have said), I don't think I need to seek it out (ESFC seems a little less sweet), unless I can find a bottle at a great price (unlikely). I can see the appeal of this one (nicely balanced too), but I think for me it would be worn every few months, at most, when I'm really in the mood for it.

My old review, from April, 2009: Much ado about...? Musky lavender! Well, I don't enjoy these "old school" fragrances with lavender up front, and there's really nothing else here that's so special that I'd spend money on this one. The patchouli is strong (which is fine with me) and the wormwood smells nice, but the lavender is too much. After a few hours, there isn't much of anything remaining. If the lavender was replaced by another note, I might really like this, but it ruins it for me. For me, I'd give this a negative rating, but for those who like this kind of "masculine" lavender, I can understand why you would like this fragrance, though I still don't see it as a "masterpiece." The ingredients seem high quality, but the longevity seems no better than fair. Sillage is excellent, while it lasts.

11th April, 2009 (Last Edited: 26 January, 2012)

Fierce for Men by Abercrombie & Fitch

Fierce is a great choice for warmer weather with a synthetically ramped up cool mentolated citrus wood scent. Fierce is one of a small group of few newer and improved fragrances of this type (Bulgari Aq. Marine, Stetson All American, Versace PH, Ice*Men, Allure PH Sport) that are so much better than the earlier pioneer 90's scents of this type (Eternity, AdGio). Fierce is well balanced, very alluring, inoffensive, refreshing and has no sharp edges or heavy statements to its structure at all. A great generic summer fragrance. There is even a nice dry oakmoss wood drydown which stays very close to the skin and subtle.

The big problem with Fierce, for me, is the incredibly tacky bottle/image that shows the Abercrombie bare chested youth torso on the bottle front. Who wants that sitting on their shelf?? The bottle design probably drives off more customers than the scent attracts! Another example of destruction by art direction. Visable from either side, this image screams immaturity. But, with a careful peel and pull motion I was able to remove the clear plastic label that coats the front of the bottle leaving a clean, respectably minimal glass bottle that only betrays its contents with one word on the front - Fierce. A huge improvement! I should offer my services to Abercrombie to consult on how to create a wider audience for this pretty good summer fragrance by fixing this error in brand image design. A decent fragrance anyway.

Frankincense - Myrrh - Rose Maroc by Regina Harris

Regina Harris has created a bit of magic with this dark syrupy oil concentrated inside a jewel treasure of a bottle. The opening smells like rich coffee in the combination with myrrh, spices and rose. A slight enrichment of frankincense follows to add some serious weight to the light rose. Rose hides behind the myrrh, frankincense, sandalwood, and spices. Similar to Profumum Santalum and MPG Santal Noble, Regina Harris Frankincense-Myrrh-Rose Maroc is a warm myrrh heavy sandalwood warmed slightly by rose.

The bottle design as a tiny arabian treasure and the fragrance as a perfume oil instead of alcohol based scent are very nice marketing ideas that present this fragrance as a very special treasured oil. Expensive, yes, but it is worth the price to own this bit of magic in a bottle.

12 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 21st August, 2009)

China White by Nasomatto

China White is probably built around violet, iris, white musk, a bit of patchouli and some other bit of light green floral. But whatever goes into the mystery formula, it is clearly dry woody violet along with white musk that creates the dry chalky floral base. It has been presumed that this Nasomatto is named for street grade herioin; but, when I first smelled it I immediately had associations with dry white china - bone china. White, dry and very minimal, the dry chalky floral nature of China White would also describe the famous white dinnerware created from bone ash and china clay in Stoke on Trent. I prefer my associations with bone china dinnerware because it also describes the feel of the fragrance perfectly. It is very similar to Narcisso Rodrigeuz for him but much lighter and subtler use of violet, iris, and white musk. Along with the violets, maybe iris, there might be a touch of honeysuckle or angelica to add a bit of green floral gentleness to the familiar dry violets and musk. Chalky and white, clean and unsoiled, a very nice fragrance - China White.

Kevin Guyer's avatar

Mystra by Aesop

Lovely and exotic for the 15 minutes it lasts on my skin. WIth such a high price tag, I want more life from this Byzantine concoction.

bookitty's avatar

Oud 27 by Le Labo

Typical of the Le Labos, the moniker for the scent is not the main note. Animalic notes dominate, which, along with the saffron, are reminiscent of Dzing! Oud 27, though, is a drier, more elegant scent featuring some prominent photorealistic cedar. There are other woody incensey scents I prefer, and for oud I will go to those in the arabian vein.

scentsitivity's avatar

New York by Nicolaï

I had high expectations of PdN's New York, largely due to the frequent comparisons to Creed's Bois du Portugal. I own and really like BdP, but was wondering if New York might prove to be a better match for me. What I had hoped (and not by anyone's particular comment) is that New York would have a mellower opening than BdP, but match its drydown, which I find to be perfect. Or from another vantage point: I wish BdP had a less potent opening.

I would note that while the scents wear similarly, they are very different in constuction. The notes for New York are as follows:

Top: lemon, petitgrain, lavender, armoise
    Heart: pepper, pimento, patcholi, cedar
    Base: leather, amber, vanilla

The Nicolai website characterizes this scent as a "spicy oriental".

In BdP they are cedar, sandalwood, lavender and vetiver (there are certainly others, I don't see them listed at the Creed website though).

To me New York is a dense spicy scent, smooth, very classy and masculine and while one could never confuse it with BdP, there is a definite similarity. I would suggest the opening in New York is sweeter than BdP and the drydown is more centered on spices, compared to BdP which is more wood-centered.

Definitely a classy masculine worthy of consideration. I don't think I will be replacing my BdP with it, but it certainly is quite good.

scentsitivity's avatar

Nanadebary Green by Nanadebary

A fresh, bright green scent, with just a tad of dirtiness from the spices. I like the contrast and I think this is a “just right” dirty accord: too often they are loud and in the forefront; here it works behind the scenes. The base is musky, but the green lingers. Less interesting with time to me, but nothing bad to the drydown at all. The bottle is girly, but the scent is truly unisex – a guy could easily wear this in my judgment. (Was that supposed to be a secret?) The notes per the Nanaadebary website are as follows:

Top notes: bergamot, citron
    Heart notes: basil, cardamom
    Base notes: thyme, musk, vetiver

I won’t be buying it, but a definite thumbs up.

acceptfacts's avatar

A*Men Pure Coffee by Thierry Mugler

i like it......to me it is more what New Haarlem should have been like.....the coffee note being stronmg yet not pungent and nowhere near bitter....there is a sweet nutmeg-vanilla like sweetness that begins to permeate in the background within 5-7 minutes of intitial spray....the gourmand sweetness is light and fluorescent and refreshingly simple without the overbearing tar effect of the original. Overall, an easy recommendation to at least 'try'.

SirSlarty's avatar

Boss in Motion Edition Electric by Hugo Boss

A minty like tea note mixed with a decent sandalwood accord. I expected that with a dominant tea note for this to be a little more lively. It's a little too dull to be electric and "in motion". A rather pleasant fruity orange note in the middle is the only thing going for this. Overall pretty ho hum.

Bigsly's avatar

Cuiron Pour Homme by Helmut Lang

This dries down to a subtle, somewhat "playful" fragrance, but I just can't find anything special about it. I wouldn't call myself a big fan of leather scents, so that may be part of it. I dislike the harsh or animalic ones intensely. The only one I like is Everlast Original 1910, probably because the leather note there is part of a real "group effort." This does have a subdued "zing" to it, but there's just not enough going on, at least the kinds of things I enjoy. You really need to know what you're looking for in a leather fragrance before buying this one, and if you like this one, you might like Nicole Miller for men even more, so try that one too.

12 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 21st June, 2009)

saxifrage's avatar

La Chasse Aux Papillons Extrême by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is a work of pure beauty. A dizzying floral bouquet that evokes a freshness and joy that is almost tangible. While I wouldn't say this fragrance is especially unisex, the Extreme version has a much more pronounced citrus/lime note that is very apparent in the drydown. The pink pepper in this fragrance is undeniable in the drydown. This citrus is beautiful and enjoyable. The original La Chasse Aux Papillons is still a beautiful floral, but it is more sheer, less sweet, less hesperidic, and definitely less spicy. It definitely falls in the realm of "feminine" for me, while the Extreme version teeters ever so slightly toward the unisex threshold. For the record -- I would purchase a bottle of this. I do not know if many other men could or would consider wearing this, but I'm unapologetic. It is quite beautiful.

12 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 25 December, 2009)

1804 by Histoires de Parfums

Note de tête : Fleur de Tiaré, Pêche de Corse, Ananas d’Hawaï.
    Note de cœur : Clou de Girofle, Noix de Muscade, Jasmin des Indes, Muguet, Rose du Maroc.
    Note de fond : Santal, Patchouli, Benjoin, Vanille, Muscs Blancs.

one of the occasions where i totally agree with luca turin and tania sanchez's review . it is a "4 star fragrance"

Miel de Bois by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

this is a love or hate scent and really depends on body chemistry. it is very sensual on me and i do not get the cat urine odour at all. It suits my chemistry I do not wear it any more because it smells exactly like my ex's body odour and breath during intimate moments. i loathe his memory , but still love the scent. 2 stars were taken away because memory and desire can quickly turn into anger and loathing, and spoil a fragrance

Fleur d'Oranger by L'Artisan Parfumeur

simply the gold standard of orange blossom perfumes There has no equal.

Tabac Blond by Caron

My sample of the Caron Tabac Blond extrait smells like a sharp old potpourri with some concentrated Old Spice thrown in; plus the warm tobacco for awhile. Disappointing after all I've read. I am beginning to wonder if there is not an aspect of 'the Emporer's New Clothes' in perfume reviews. Or at least a Rorshach test of the reviewer's frame of mind more than anything else.

Un Zeste D'Eté by L'Artisan Parfumeur

It starts out a sharp, bright and lovely cologne but fades rapidly, on me anyway. Too bad! I would give the fragrance itself 4 stars but it is so transient that, considered as a product, I can only give it 2.

Blu Mediterraneo Marine Oak / Quercia Marina by Acqua di Parma

This smells very masculine to me: a very complex and in-your-face confident and aggressive type of man. It would not suit the sensitive new-age guys and civil servants in my orbit, but would be perfect for more intimidating types (if they still exist anywhere). Come to think of it, maybe that is why it is no longer in production - those men are long gone! Darn.

Theasylph's avatar

Ocean Lounge by Escada

More like crazy berry lounge. This is so fruity from beginning to end. It's a little too sweet and linear for my taste but nice every great once in a while.

xmen's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Kenzo Amour by Kenzo

Incense and musk and everything nice! Another beautiful creation from Kenzo. So unisex that I hope I'd not see Kenzo Amour pour homme. I amour (love) this very much.