Fragrance Reviews from April 2009

's avatar

S de Scherrer by Jean-Louis Scherrer

I hope this fragrance gets some attention, frankly. Of the strongly vanillic, sweet, woody floral scents out there right now, I think this one is the most sophisticated, if not the most.

It has a great, mature presence, with a wonderful modern elegance, that is very very ladylike. The notes are very well balanced and really create a solid, recognizable scent. I would wear it to the opera, for a romantic evening and not during the day. It's really luscious. It's like a magenta moire gown, with a crystal choker, and white gloves.
    I realize that Hanae Mori's Butterfly has no vanilla whatsoever and this one is a vanilla fragrance, but I consider them quite similar (like a nighttime version), in character, and very much in the drydown and longevity.

The bottle is so ridiculous, I think it killed the fragrance. Seriously. It has a sort of compartment on the side, which holds a cheap gold plastic blob. A tragic attempt at "contempo" by a stodgy and unhip firm. If it had been launched by Dior, it would be a runaway success. It's so much better than Addict or Jadore, for example.

If you are a fan of Juicy Couture, Butterfly, Black XS, etc., try this one, I bet you'll like it more!

Maxymilian's avatar

Poland Poland

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

I love this stuff. Sweet and masculine. Powdery and spicy vanilla is very sexy. Francis Kurkdjian is a genius. RESPECT!

marioslg's avatar

Cyprus Cyprus

Ultraviolet Man by Paco Rabanne

very distinctive and nice perfume. draws compliments and you can't stop smelling it.
    it is really a nice job and very durable.

Dolce Vita by Christian Dior

I'm fighting with myself to pick my all time favorite between this and Casmir. This is so wonderful. Reminds me of churches. OK, I can understand that this is not what everyone would want!

Lasts and lasts. Totally sexual but not in an agressive Poison way. I keep empty bottles of this in my wardrobe and spray it in my bag so I get wafts of it even when I'm wearing another perfume. It's lingers on clothing and everything it touches so try not to get it on a coat that you might wear more than once before cleaning.

The bottle and packaging are wonderful and it does give associations with Sophia Loren and 50's glamour but doesn't smell like it's old fashioned.

Magical!

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique

This is vile and overpowering for about 20 minutes then it's a wonderful patchouli cloud that goes on all day. I find I have to spray and rub my wrists together to get rid of the initial hit. Is it worth it? Kinda...

I'm getting a headache just writing this review. Perhaps it's a masochistic tendancy that makes me wear this?

It nearly killed the guy I share an office with. Don't spray this and get straight into a car as there is a danger of suffocation.

Escada by Escada

Buying this cured me of having to buy something in a duty free rather than wanting to. I bought this before I realised that perfume manufacturers changed ingredients because I used to have this maybe 15 years ago and there was nothing else that I wanted. The initial few moments are enough like the original then it's just horrid. A bit like those nasty fakes you can get on market stalls.

Dior Addict Shine by Christian Dior

I'm surprised this isn't the personal fragrance of some dodgy reality TV star. Chigwell chav for about 10 minutes then the relief of it totally disappearing. Thank God for small mercies.

Jitterbug Perfume Lover's avatar

So de la Renta by Oscar de la Renta

I received this fragrance as a gift today from my boyfriend. I put it on after a long hike outdoors to see how it would settle on my skin knowing that I would shower soon. Even though I am wearing camoflage shorts and a tank top and I am covered in dirt and dust, I smell as though I am wearing a flouncy pink silk dress. It's an ultra feminine floral and although I had to wait a minute to let the initial blast of top notes settle, I really love the way the florals softened but did not evaporate. Gorgeous!

Keene's avatar

Absolutely Irresistible by Givenchy

My experience with this perfume is very limited, but I would just like to share my initial impression of this perfume. I don't know about the sickly sweet smell of it that someone else mentioned ... in fact, when I smelled this my thoughts were that it had a muskier, spicier undertone, which I think is from the red pepper in the top note. It reminded me of a smell a woman would wear that would blend well with the scent of tabacco. (Is that a strange thing to think?)

I sprayed some on the collar of my jacket, and a day later, I can still smell it. Obviously, it is a very strong fragrance. Towards the end of it's life, it smells less floral. I can detect the amber and patchouli easily. However, I always attributed patchouli with a powdery smell, and there is very little powder to the dry notes.

While I liked this scent, I do agree with the people that say this is definitely NOT a workplace fragrance. It is strong and almost blocks out a person's ability to smell anything else when sprayed on the collar (as I did). However, I kept sniffing my jacket all day long today, and I have to say that after it had faded appropriately, it was a very enjoyable smell.

davidcbennett's avatar

Patou pour Homme (original) by Jean Patou

This had been my standard. I would appreciate recommendations as to a replacement.

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

One of my absolute favorites. Mature and refined, yet still incredibly sexy. I get compliments on it all the time. The sillage is not all that great, but I love the fragrance so much that it doesn't bother me. The bottle is also a work of art.

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

Very elegant, sophisticated, and beautiful. Very Prada. Oddly enough, I really don't think it's all that feminine. It's not extremely masculine, but I don't see it as feminine at all. I love the vetiver and bergamot notes. After you spray it on, you feel clean and handsome. I love wearing it with a crisp, classic shirt and tie. The bottle is gorgeous; it completely stands out among the other fragrances I have on my shelf.

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

A very surprising favorite from Dolce and Gabbana. It is warn, sensual, and sophisticated. It has a tiny bit of a coconut smell, but it works with the rest of the notes. It's a great nighttime scent. I feel sexier when I put it on.

Tom Ford for Men by Tom Ford

Unappealing. Very dark and musky, with a strong cinnamon tone. It smells like something made for a much, much older man. I was expecting a fragrance from Tom Ford to be young, hip, and edgy. This just smells like something a retiree in Florida would wear. The drydown is a little more tolerable, but still not worth waiting for the top and middle notes to fade away.

ubuandibeme's avatar

Scent Factory - Parfum 3 - Cardamome by Nelly Rodi

Found out by doing the "3x3 blind sniff" here at basenotes, Scent Factory - Parfum 3 : Cardamome has only 2 fragrance notes. Cardamom and Cedarwood.
    To my nose, it is the smell of freshly cracked cardamom pods...the seeds have been smashed and the aroma is stunning! My impression of the cedarwood in this pairing is of black pepper. Beginning with an almost camphorous/medicinal aura, it settles into an extremely dry and spicy character - with an incense feel. While others may think differently, I found this frag to have big sillage and unusually long lifespan. Leaning more to the masculine, it is interesting and modern.

ubuandibeme's avatar

My Afrika by Krizia

Notes listed on the Now Smell This blog review are:

ginger blossom, lime, jasmine, heliotrope,
    shea fruit, amber, ebony & ginger

My Afrika opens with a bright citrus that is very lemony to my nose. I don't detect the florals, with the exception of heliotrope - which gives a vanilla like essence to this warm weather refresher. The ginger is fizzy & tingly, adding vibrancy to that already lively citrus. I'm amazed at the lifespan of the lime (lemon) note here...and unlike Goutal's Eau d' Hadrien, it doesn't ever become predominantly woody. I haven't found this available for purchase in the US, but believe it can still be found in Italy. A clever and well done twist on a citrus scent, I'd say it's worth seeking out.

Agent Zero's avatar

Ambrette 9 by Le Labo

Baby fragrance? Kinda pricey stuff considering a baby wouldn't really even enjoy wearing fragrance. Anyways, it opens up on me smelling like Maker's Mark whiskey, kinda a sweet, boozy smell. Then it turns to a sweet fruit smell, like pears. Finally, it smells like whiskey WITH pears. This entire evolution takes about half an hour. After an hour, it's gone. It's actually kinda a nice smell. Longevity is terrible though and there's no siliage. Not that your baby would care.

SirSlarty's avatar

Davidoff Adventure Amazonia by Davidoff

Delightful. Instead of a warming spice like the original, this feels cooler somewhat. Very fruity on top. Dries down into the same Adventure drydown of sandalwood and other woods. Too bad they didn't "fix" the longevity problem. But I loved it at first sniff!

Critic's avatar

Zimbabwe Zimbabwe

Ted Baker Skinwear by Ted Baker

It's not as shortlived as many say. My skin gulps down heavy hitters like Opium and Givenchy Pi. So I have every longevity problem in the world. This one requires the right environment (warm to hot) to work. It just sills and sills in the heat. I've also realised another thing. You must sweat minimally as well, you must be CLEAN for it to work. Exfoliate and do all sorts of stuff and be squeaky clean. *Then you must spray it on and moisturize and spray it on again. Wear light clothes for it to show through and it'll stay on for the whole day into the next. Complementary shower gel boosts this stuff as well. Worth having.

*Credits to Divatologist

All in all a nice if not boring summer scent. But it gets the job done exceptionally well. And I mean EXCEPTIONALLY well.

Bigsly's avatar

Costes by Hôtel Costes

I largely agree with shifts here, and I'll add that the original CdG fragrance is like the concentrated version of this, in that it has a "thick" quality whereas this is more "transparent." The original CdG also has a strong honey note, which this doesn't. Both have a scented candle/soapy quality. I don't get much incense from Costes (or it may be that it's blended with other notes and gets masked somewhat) and the lavender blends nicely here, unlike so many fragrances where it slaps you in the face. This is not a "beginner's" fragrance. For the novice, I suggest getting a sample and coming back to this every month or so, assuming you are doing some sampling in between. After several months, you will then know if this is for you or not. This is the kind of fragrance a "newbie" buys, hates and swaps off, then smells again months later and is angry with himself or herself for letting it go. Sillage is moderate, while longevity is very good.

modyblu's avatar

Bois du Portugal by Creed

I really do like this scent. I is a powerful long lasting scent. I find that now, I only wear it when I go to parties or dancing. 2 sprays last a very long time on me. I could live without it though and may not repurchase.

ZeeK's avatar

Pakistan Pakistan

L'Essence de Déclaration by Cartier

The initial blast reminds me of Terre d’ Hermes & Ferragamo, F. It is smoky & earthy as both of them and I do feel an intense citric aroma with peppery affects as well that goes to a perfect woody dry-down.

For me it’s a formal wear in office and informal wear (casual & romantic) otherwise. No complaints for lasting and sillage.

It can be flagged as a “classic” fragrance and it is highly recommended from my side.

PS. I have tested Cartier, Declaration Essence - 2001 & Kenzo, Jungle Pour Homme (zebra) – 1998 in a single instance and I am quite sure that they are fairly similar but with my senses and in my opinion Cartier is a winner as for fragrance composition, lasting & sillage.

tanto's avatar

Miss Dior Originale (previously Miss Dior) by Christian Dior

Classic, clean, and so French !! They don't make fragrances like this any more.

tanto's avatar

Poison by Christian Dior

Ah yes, the year was 1986, the location was NYC, the scent was Poison! Just about every woman in NYC stunk of this horrible concoction. Why? Because it was fashionable to wear and mostly every women wanted to be "in vogue" and follow the trends of the present day. All of NYC stunk of "Poison (Grape Juice)". Thank God this scent is now passe' and we don't have to deal with it anymore. No love lost, for sure !!!

msleslie's avatar

Oyédo by Diptyque

When I was little I used to secretly eat raspberry jello dry out of the package, and sometimes the powder would get into my nose where it registered as especially tart and strange: I loved it, it was wonderful. This scent brought back that experience vividly and made me laugh with pleasure. It is also similar to inhaling dry raspberry koolaid while stirring the contents of the packet into the water; does koolaid even still exist? After awhile I smell lemon lime instead of raspberry, and enjoy it all over again. This may smell good on somebody, I don't know, but I keep it just to remind myself of several momentary pleasures of childhood.

Apicius's avatar

Germany Germany

Frankfurt Kitchen by Social Creatures

My impression I get from this scent:

Imagine a Frankfurt kitchen (designed in 1926 for people with low income) in a 1926 bauhaus style building. A warm evening sun shines throught the window, illuminating a bakelite bowl on the kitchen table filled with apples, bananas, apricots and plums. You approach the kitchen table. You notice the scent of the overripe fruits as you rouse all the hidden fruit flies.

Try if you like dried fruit scents.

xmen's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Fendi (original) by Fendi

One of the prettiest and softest non-feminine foral. On my skin, it is a snug and warm scent that I can't resist sniffing. Sadly under-rated. I wish more men will wear this.

xmen's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Missoni (new) by Missoni

Luca Turin was so taken by this gem that not only did he give Maurice Roucel's Missoni a well-deserved 5-star but also enthused that "I'll make sure I have enough of this perfume to last me a lifetime." I am so glad I listened to LT and bought a tester bottle blind and it is ravishingly superb! The chocolate note is excellently realized and the overall structure achieves what LT termed "harmony and melody' in a perfume composition perfectly. Strange that this wonderful frag is so rarely mentioned here in BN. A shame really when it's so, so good. It deserves a better fate.

charger's avatar

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

It took several wearings to really appreciate this one and I've grown to love it. When first applied, there is a baby powder note which I don't like but it fades quickly. It settles into soap, fresh laundry, etc that just smells clean and fresh. Nothing daring here but just a nice clean frag.

13 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 22 April, 2009)

Lily from the Forest's avatar

Netherlands Netherlands

Bulgari Petits et Mamans by Bulgari

Aah, this is such a cute powdery smell! I love it on my baby sister. It makes me smile, so I also wear it sometimes on simple days.