Fragrance Reviews from April 2009

No. 5 Eau Première by Chanel

At first I was enthousiastic about the scent, but now I've worn it, I don't really like it. The scent is light, classy and feminine indeed without being that flowery. But there's a bitterness to it that doesn't work miracles on my skin and the scent is also a bit weak in the way that it doesn't feel complete or rich. I can see why people would like it, but its not good for either my skin, my age or my type of girl.

Incredible Me by Escada

The scent is not bad. Its sweet and girly, but in a naughty playfull way and its pleasant and soft. Unfortunatelly it reminds me of those mainstream Coty ETT's you can buy in every drugstore. Its what lots of young women wear. When I hear 'incredible me' I think of 'special me', 'unique me', 'look-at-me-twice me'. This is just Escade 'Nice me'.

So yes, its nice and playfull, and that could be enough. Its just not incredible.

Eau Pure by Biotherm

Nice, clean, and very fresh, citrusfruits topnotes. Stays on for a long time and stays fresh. The scent smells just a little chemical now and then. Good for in the summer, during the day. It also reminds me of tennis. Feminine and sporty, I would say.

For me personally its too fresh, too modern. I'm not that clean a type of woman. But I can see sporty fun and clean women wearing this.

decillisjl's avatar

Attar by Montale

oh goodness... this is potentially the most "real" fragrance I've ever had the luxury of sampling. As a loving and devoted boyfriend I have probably purchased hundreds if not thousands of roses in my "man" career, and this has to be the most surreal but grounded rose fragrance I've ever come across. As weird as it sounds I can actually smell "texture" in this. Without even having to bring my wrists above chest level I can "feel" rose petals, albeit slightly wilted and crushed. This baby has got monster sillage and projection, as only a couple of sprays has completely enveloped me in a heavy aura. I knew that the concentration was high when two spritzes to the wrist left me with the feeling of fresh motor oil for at least an hour. I can't really vouch for any aoud in the mix, and if there is it was incredibly well blended. There is no medicinal sharpness, and besides the opening blast the only acridity is the realistic deep floral element. It is only upon full drydown that the sandalwood really presents itself, and to me it is more of a casual companion laying the rose in bed to sleep. I have yet to sample black aoud, but after this gem from montale I have to get a whiff... Laying here in this magnificent aura I'm hard pressed to believe that I will like black oud any better, but I'm damned sure that Attar is going to be my next buy

Bo Darville's avatar

English Fern by Penhaligon's

To be sure, this is very decent barbershop-style juice. But, I'm surprised that no one has made the obvious connection to either Faberge's Brut or YSL's Rive Gauche. All three are similarly constructed based on the listed notes. After an hour or so, few could even tell the difference between EF and RG (Brut - I'm not so sure...). I also respond a little more to RG - it's more lively and pronounced, whereas EF just sits there playing nice. Take my word for it, though - they're EXTREMELY similar.

If given the choice, I would definitely opt for Rive Gauche.

13 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 13 August, 2009)

macho_matt's avatar

Italian Cypress by Tom Ford

For me, this is a low sillage, perfect for the office perfume. It's somewhat personal in that it does stay close to the skin, and it smells absolutely fantastic. Masculine for sure, reminds me of my dad and all good smells associated. Expensive yes, full bottle worthy? I don't know yet but thumbs up all the way. Only downside, for me, is that it does not seem to last all day on my skin.

rocknroll's avatar

Une Fleur de Cassie by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

What is everyone going on about?
    Sweaty buttcheeks in a bottle.

Yurpdod's avatar

Fuel For Life pour Homme by Diesel

I cant tell you how much this fragrance threw me for a loop. With the advertisements, the bottle design, and the way it's been marketed, I was expecting it to be a leathery, dry scent. I spray it on and....Jolly Ranchers? Color me surprised. I smell definite hints of raspberry and watermelon. Once I got over the shock, I actually like it very much. It's definitely for a much younger man (I dont think a man past 30 could pull this off), but it's very fun and playful. I would recommend it most during summery, warm days. One minor thing is that I absolutely hate the bottle. It's ugly and doesn't fit the scent at all. The canteen-style bottle looks dirty and gross, and it feels nasty in your hands. All in all, it's a very cute, sexy scent for a young guy!

Mitsouko by Guerlain

A floral opening quickly settles into a peach/labdanum blend before settling into a comfortable base of woods, herbs and Guerlainade. A masterful three component accord and one of the (if not the) best chypre ever produced. An unique balance of both loud, unsettling notes as well as softer, more comfortable accords. It can also be pulled off as a great and individual masculine fragrance (yes, really)

Bandit by Robert Piguet

Bad tempered, bold, brash and sinister..... An exceptional and brilliant fragrance. Bitter green notes, leather, dirt and tar. Wear this and you'll feel like a Celtic warrior heading into battle.....

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

A marvellous powdery iris note set on a base of vetiver, wood and tonka bean. Yes it could be classifed as a "feminine" fragrance, but in a world of incredibly banal marine/citrus concotions I can only commend Dior for releasing such a bold concoction. A sophisticated, subtle and refined fragrance - leagues ahead of many other male frangrances released in the past 5 years in terms of its complexity and originality.

13 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 10th August, 2009)

Mario Justiniani's avatar

Cuba Cuba

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

What I said about Antaeus; only this is for women. 5 stars+

I smiled when I read the review by foetidus. Not because he was wrong, far from it! It's just that our most prolific critic usually writes extensive and quite impressive examinations on the details of each individual note, the mingling of the combinations thereof from top to drydown, and so forth.
    But here the poet, terse and sincere, gets the best of him.
    Could it be love? I don't doubt it.
    L'Heure Bleue does capture all the wonder of the beauty of THE woman as the night begins to fall around her and the Sun is edged out by dying blues. It's heavy stuff. Some may find it too heavy, especially since it was created in 1912 and a few women might have memories of their mothers to their great grandmothers wearing this (assuming they had superb taste) and conclude it's
    too ' little old ladyish. ' More's the pity;
    Nevertheless, SAMPLE FIRST! Heavy Orientals are not to everyone's taste

13 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 06 April, 2011)

Lian's avatar

White Patchouli by Tom Ford

A spicer version of Voleurs de Roses, it´s more warmer and almost honeyed. The medicinal quality is not as strong as oud would be and it´s sweetened. It´s not a wall flower scent and I love it for that. This is more all the flowers get together and have a party, you can´t ignore it fragrance.
    Application for this would be a very tricky affair because I think there is so much going on people might complain of headaches if they are near you and catch a whiff.

zztopp's avatar

Lacoste Elegance by Lacoste

Notes:
    Top: Thyme, Violet, Mint, Juniper, Tangerine
    Middle: Pepper, Nutmeg, Cardamom, Raspberry
    Base: Sandalwood, Cedar, Chocolate, Amber

Elegance is an oriental-fougere marketed to the "mature" crowd, i.e., the 30+, "refined men, men with a great deal of experience, etc". Naturally, going by that marketing definition you can already guess that its a muted herbal-spicy fragrance with a little bit of sweetness to round things off and you would be correct. The opening of Elegance is the most attractive phase .. a cool, herbal, slightly sweet blast of thyme, mint and juniper...the thyme makes the top notes and is in fine form here, linking up well with a mint note operating at the periphery of the opening. 20 minutes later a "dry" phase materializes, with a little bit of fruity sweetness; the heart notes are low-key and parched but wait...the fragrance gets even drier in the drydown, with a bitter chocolate note and woody cedar dominating the amber and sandalwood notes. So after an inviting cool herbal blast, what you are left with is a dry, peppery ambery drydown.

Elegance reminds me of Davidoffs' Silver Shadow in its overall dry-oriental lite feel. Silver Shadow has an edge in that it features a fine saffron note which Elegances' star notes like raspberry and bitter chocolate can't quite match (mainly due to their muted presence). If I were a man on the wrong side of 30, I would pick Silver Shadow. And although I would (hopefully) have a great deal of experience, I would wonder why I am being marketed the same muted peppery-oriental juices over and over again in different guises ... surely someone can jazz up the formula a bit every now and then ?

Rating: 7.25/10.00

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

CK In 2U Him by Calvin Klein

SirSlarty is close with the comparo to Polo Explorer...didn't even think about it until I read the reviews. If you don't smell/wear this in the summer, you are going to dislike it. It needs heat for the bunch of notes to develop and shine. I will purchase this now, but strictly for summer use.

Pine or mint? not sure...mixed with blue sweets, the piney/minty overshadowing the sweet. I see myself wearing this to an afternoon affair, maybe a birthday party or a picnic or something. It gives an air of assuredness.
    My first assesment would have def been a thumbs down...now a thumbs up.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

CK In 2 U Him HEAT by Calvin Klein

I was fortunate enough to find and try this today. It is bright and sweet, a melange of greens and a hint of blue. Very good summer scent...not too fruity and not another acquatic mess. It stays very close to the skin, so you can still smell it but projection is bad. It is a summer version of the original, but I think the POP version is better. Funny though, the more I smell the flankers, the more I like and prefer the original. If you like a stronger heavier scent, then look to the original or the POP. This is just a bit too weak for me, but heavy application easily solves that problem. Close in scent to CK Man, as I can detect some faint violets in this HEAT version. I also believe (conspiracy theory) that CK Man and In 2U were results of the same science experiment. They are at least cousins.

odysseusm's avatar

Sweet Lime and Cedar by Jo Malone

This has a complex list of ingredients, and it is difficult for me to characterize it. I get a good citrus opening, followed by hints of green mint and herbs which are quite interesting. There is also a slightly sweet fruit note which is somewhat like pomegranate, that must be the passion fruit. Quickly a rather heavy and creamy white floral note appears. The gardenia and jasmine are prominent, and they muscle aside the very light woody spice notes. I don’t get any coconut – the fact that I can’t detect it tells me it is restrained. The amber is also restrained, thankfully. Less thankfully I find restraint in the lime or cedar, which I expected due to the scent’s name. This is an interesting scent, but I can’t get particularly enthusiastic about it. The dry-down seems simply "fresh" and somewhat synthetic. (revised review)

14 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 28 August, 2009)

Sugandaraja's avatar

La Myrrhe by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Here's another Lutens that took me a few wearings before I could enjoy it. Initially the clash of aldehydes and myrrh seemed a bad miscalculation, but over time it's grown on me.

The opening is strongly aldehydic, slightly soapy, and also vaguely citrusy - like the dregs of an Orange Julius. The myrrh is not at all apparent at first, but the fragrance becomes increasingly bitter as it develops, until the myrrh note emerges fully formed.

After the aldehydes have burnt off, La Myrrhe becomes quite dry. Anise and myrrh combine to make a medicinal and rubbery base.

Sillage is moderate, but the longevity is quite good; over twelve hours.

La Myrrhe isn't a pretty fragrance, but it's a great study in contrast. Transparent and frothy meets dry and austere - a pool party in the desert.

Like lobster ice cream, I highly doubt this is for everyone.

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Antaeus by Chanel

Someone hit the nail on the head when they said that this smells like an old leather couch. Antaeus is elegant, refined, masculine, and damned unique. Antaeus is also timeless; there is no 80s smell and no old man smell here. Not only is it timeless, but it's also ageless; while wearing this I had a 20 year old woman bury her head in my chest while exclaiming, "you smell really good." I did clarify with her that although she loved the smell, she considered it much more elegant than sexy. I happened to agree. I include this anecdote because I feel that many people will assume that this is a smell that will only appeal to older woman, and that simply isn't the case.

This is easily in my top 5 and I will be getting a bottle before next fall...

did I forget to mention that this is a cool - cold weather scent?

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Original Santal by Creed

This is really fine. Such high quality glass that slowly fades from red to clear. And that bright shiny cap that sits right above the crossed swords of the Creed logo. I tell ya, this is a bottle to die for...

And the juice is Joop! smelling garbage. That's right, we have yet another Dr. Pepper air freshener EDT.

Mr. Creed, no soup for you, one year!

SirSlarty's avatar

Quiksilver by Quiksilver

At the risk of sounding like an advertisement... this is an aromatic woody and marine-ish fragrance. Fruity mint on top and a woody finish. Not half-bad though if you're not up on marine frags you most likely won't enjoy Quicksilver. It's along the same lines as Bulgari Aqua Marine and even sorta has that tea note. Not outstanding but nice especially from a surf company. Tip: don't wear it during wet weather, you'll feel waterlogged.

Myspunge's avatar

England England

S-ex by S-Perfume

I should know by now : never, never, ever order a sample of anything which Luca Turin has given five (or four) stars while mentioning sex somewhere in his review. Not unless you are interested in his psychobiography, that is. Others have noted how quickly its chill and bracing top-notes are overcome by smoky malted musk. In my case, it takes 10 seconds, and that counts as premature ejaculation in my book. The body of the scent is a waxen cistus, with hints of rancid butter, odd, spooky and not quite sickening. Actually, it has the head-turning, queasy-stomach effect of amyl nitrate thrust on you by someone you didn’t really fancy in the first place and have now gone Right Off. But most of all, this is the smell of CB I Hate Perfume’s M#3 November – pumpkin pie. Of course, calling it S-ex was a good idea, it got all the perfumistas whirring away, but S-plat or S-quidge would have been nearer the mark.

kess's avatar

Hiroko Koshino by Hiroko Koshino

This is mostly a light incense to my nose. Very "Japanese" -- or at least to me, a Westerner, who never been to Japan :-)

Although it's classified as a feminine, it's quite unisex.

14 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 31st May, 2009)

kess's avatar

Osmanthus Interdite by Parfum d'Empire

Comparing Osmanthus by Ormonde Jayne and Osmanthus Interdite by Parfum d'Empire.

Impressions: OJ goes on very crisp, citrucy and candied at the same time, while PdE is soft, almost suede-like with earthy undertones (somehow it makes me think that this is how osmanthus pollen may smell like -- soft and dusky). OJ comes across as a light fragrance, almost a cologne, with osmanthus. Not being a fan of 'refreshing cologne' type of perfume, I have to say I prefer Parfum d'Empire's version.

After about 30 minutes OJ has calmed down and is not as "in your face" as earlier. It's now pleasantly sweet and fresh. PdE is still going strong with the leather undertones; I'm not detecting much progression.

Overall, I perceive PdE as more "substantial" and it's still my favorite of the two.

MFJ's avatar

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

This is way too sweet for my liking, almost like candy, dont find anything similar to the original

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

I love the tea note in here however it seems its quite conservative of a fragrance. Another issue with this is that it is extremely weak. 2 sprays on wrist and 2 on neck and it seems that it radiates only a few inches from my body and after just 2 hours its gone. Reapplying throughout the day will deplete your bottle very fast.

Design for Men by Paul Sebastian

This was my first cologne (age 16?) and I remember choosing this one from a few at Marshalls. Now at 21 I wouldn't dare put this on (actually I just did to refresh my memory lol). It just reeks of cheap cologne with a dominant but nauseating (to me) spice added in there. Surprisingly this was the only cologne where I had somone ask what I was wearing, likely out of curiosity rather than him liking it. I will attribute this fact that I also used to spray more back then (who didn't?) so it got many more peoples attention whether they liked it or not.

John Varvatos by John Varvatos

This was one of the very first fragrances I had. It caught my attention because it was unique on the Macy's shelves. It had unique elements then, and I still find it unique after knowing a two hundred more fragrances. Dates and tamarind, I still can't name any frags on the top of my head that have either of these. All that aside, its a smooth date-vanilla-leather fragrance, absolutely gorgeous. I can't remember where I saw an analogy about this but it compared Varvatos to a Mustang with a leather interior as opposed to a luxury car - I think that hits it dead on. I can only imagine how well this would go with a leather jacket outfit.

14 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 14 July, 2009)

Theasylph's avatar

Fleur d'Oranger by L'Artisan Parfumeur

i got some bergamot and neroli oil from a guy who makes his own oil blends and they smell just like this. So my mind was not blown but I do love this scent. This is what real stuff smells like. Precious and temporary. It doesn't really stick around long enough to be a fragrance unfortunately, more of a 300$ aromatherapy pick me up. ouch. Get a sample for rainy days.

Qwerty2008's avatar

Y by Yves Saint Laurent

Hmmm, I really wanted to like this perfume, the notes soundly exactly like what i would love....what I got was an old-fashion blast at first spray, pungent and chemical. The middle and base are floral-powdery, not unpleasant, but they don't lift me to ecstatic heights either. I don't get much "green" at all, and the florals are musty and "perfumey", not fresh and heady like most modern florals. The drydown is sweet, though powdery, but it wasn't worth the wait. On the whole, not disagreeable, but not something I would buy again, and will likely swap my bottle away if anyone's interested.