Fragrance Reviews from April 2009

Qwerty2008's avatar
    Qwerty2008

Y by Yves Saint Laurent

Hmmm, I really wanted to like this perfume, the notes soundly exactly like what i would love....what I got was an old-fashion blast at first spray, pungent and chemical. The middle and base are floral-powdery, not unpleasant, but they don't lift me to ecstatic heights either. I don't get much "green" at all, and the florals are musty and "perfumey", not fresh and heady like most modern florals. The drydown is sweet, though powdery, but it wasn't worth the wait. On the whole, not disagreeable, but not something I would buy again, and will likely swap my bottle away if anyone's interested.

xmen's avatar
    xmen
    Singapore Singapore

Eau de Cartier by Cartier

Is this marvelous juice not done by Ellena??? It's got all the hallmarks of a great and accomplished Ellena's work written all over it. Light yet uplifting, quiet yet beautiful, a scent of lightness and transparency. An absolute ambrosia of a men's scent. Classic indeed.

's avatar

Tocade by Rochas

Tocade always reminds me of a child snacking on those thin, buttery, Swedish ginger wafers and a bottle of Fanta.

And that is quite a pleasant association for me.

In fact, it's myself, as a child I think, in a Belgian town square, under an a cafe umbrella. There's beautiful architecture and history all around, lending this snapshot some worth and elegance, but it's the tiny, crumbling, sensuous magic of the ginger cookies, melting on my tongue, the alternating cold wet wash of Fanta, the hot, effervescent grit of the sugar crystals, that is so magical to me.

Wonderful, the perfect gift for a teen with a brain.

14 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 15 February, 2010)

decillisjl's avatar
    decillisjl

MPH by Washington Tremlett

I think that MPH is an acronym for "Mediocre Patchouli Here". I don't give too many negative reviews, as I try with all objectivity to get an "organic metaphor" for a scent. I believe that every fragrance has at least a semblence of anguished thought behind it, because as a parfumier releasing something subpar could spell disaster not only for your sales, but also in your respect in the field. The art of scent is becoming quite the flooded market, and as a "house", especially on the fringe of popularity (seven different fragrances with a total of ten reviews?), satisfaction with ho-hum could ring the death-bell for any continued success... that being said I had never heard of this perfume house until the wonderfully amazing Dimitri sent me a sample nestled in with a plethora of decants when I purchased a couple of amazing fragrances. This was probably one of the last of the lot that I sampled, and in the last three hours I have been everything but impressed. Citrus??? it laughs at you out of the bottle before falling dry on the skin without a shred of identity... Lavender??? The scented dryer sheets I picked up at Target today for 1.99 had more lavender, and the shred of pepper I got was enough to think about think about think about maybe wrinkling my nose to think about maybe, just maybe, affecting a fake sneeze... On the tail end I was so wiped out from the boredom that the very slight drydown comparison to A*men (or any one of a thousand patchouli/oakmoss dries) that I would really rather fall asleep than continue the observation... If, for some reason, I awaken to the most heavenly pulse I havfe ever had the opportunity to relish I might edit my review, but for now this will be classified under my "intense waste of three hours I'll never have the gift to relive" genre, and for that I give four thumbs down.

Zgb's avatar
    Zgb
    Croatia Croatia

1881 Black by Cerruti

Oriental woody, sweet, a bit synthetic, strong-I recommend one spritz only, great longveity, quite youthfull. Of course there are better scents out there, but all in all, not bad...but not quite black, I must add.

14 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 15 April, 2009)

Zgb's avatar
    Zgb
    Croatia Croatia

CK In 2U POP Him by Calvin Klein

Sweet, fresh, woody. Not bad for summer. I personally love it very much. Not sure about longevity, though.

14 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 08 March, 2010)

RJR's avatar
    RJR

Cool Water Cool Summer by Davidoff

Even among the refined noses inhabiting Basenotes, the utility of a fragrance has to count for something. And because this juice finds its way into my wardrobe and my summer rotation, albeit by default, I give it a thumbs up. Besides that, I like it. It's brisk, even bracing.

That said, I admit I had sworn off the original Cool Water after finding so many better scents. But in my recent hunt for a summer fragrance wardrobe, I found that L'Eau D'Issey, Red 360 and Unbound all turned terribly sour almost immediately upon application to my skin. Needing alternatives, I tested Cool Water Summer. The addition of the citrus notes makes a world of difference to my nose.

Despite all the trashing of Cool Water on this site, I'd recommend Cool Water Summer to others who have the problem of summer colognes turning sour on their skin. (And there ARE others, according to the board discussions.) This scent holds its own.

Uppercut's avatar
    Uppercut

Straight to Heaven by By Kilian

It opens with a buttery rum battlecry, and then settles into an earthy flatline of muted patchouli. This patchouli midnotes are also haloed by a menthol-esque aura that stings the nose, even well into the drydown. It's actually cooling my nose with every sniff of my wrist.

Let me be clear - I dislike patchouli and find nothing attractive about smelling like a person's unbathed lower navel or armpit. This patchouli is different though. Its not as nefarious, but and not as offensive, but its still unpleasant to my nose. In the drydown its made more interesting with the aforementioned menthol/cedar kiss (which smells like something that would scare moths in your closet). But there is also an inky and ashy poweder to this.

Is it interesting? Yes. . . but so is Gitmo. . .doesn't mean i want to spend time there.

There are some who'll love this, and that's ok. . as long as they don't mind eating alone.

adonis's avatar
    adonis

Erolfa by Creed

I'm a sucker for office safe scents (we do spend most of our waking hours at work after all), and Erolfa would offend no one. This one I have to spray on heavier to smell, whereas SMW and GIT are single spritz deals on my skin. If GIT were a Merlot, Erolfa would be a big buttery Australian Chardonnay. The dry down is pretty fast, yet the middle and base are just as enjoyable as the top notes. Salt -> yes! Tangerine -> are you sure? Sillage is poor, but who cares - more for me. Perhaps my favorite Creed so far. Look out Summer, here comes Erolfa Guy. A Fonzie thumbs up on this one.

adonis's avatar
    adonis

Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa by Acqua di Parma

Oh, how I love this one. The top and middle notes give way to a beautiful dry leathery scent that is both refined and sexy. I don't know how ADP was able to improve upon their original classic, but they did. Colonia Intensa also lasts longer on the skin than original ADP. A fragrance masterpiece, folks.

14 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 17 May, 2009)

Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

The story that Roudnitska was trying to create the smell of the inside of a well-worn Hermes handbag when he created this frag is a cover. Imagine a very sweaty man in a wife beater. He's back from the gym. Doesn't wear deodorant. He strips down and has hours of sex with his workout partner. Could be a man, could be a woman. About an hour after they've finished, our man gets up, throws on some Eau Sauvage instead of taking a shower, and there it is: the smell of his skin is Eau d'Hermes. Strong body odor with a pronounced fecal accord that gets stronger with time, with some very light floral-citrus in the background. It's a compelling scent. It's a funk. I wouldn't wear it because, frankly, I'd worry that people would think I hadn't showered, it's that realistic, with that fecal accord adding the unmistakable implication that the sweat was worked up between the sheets. If you haven't smelled this, run don't walk to Hermes and try it. Astonishing. And if you want to play a mean practical joke, spray some on a married friend's clothes. Guaranteed that when he or she gets home, their spouse will be convinced infidelity is afoot. Giving this a thumbs up because it's so astoundingly real and not the kind of thing anyone else would have had the balls to bottle.

Cuir de Russie by Creed

A well-deployed lemon accord married to a smokey woodlike scent. To me leather suggests the smell of saddles, wallets, rawhide, new shoes, belts. I don't detect any of that. Think of lemons that have been placed on green branches that are then placed on a grill. Similar in effect to the Vintage Tabarome, though without the heavy sweetness. Fresh and wintry. Makes me think of horse-drawn carriages in the Russian countryside, in the snow. There is an astringency but the lemon balances it so the scent remains balanced, no excessive sweetness or harshness. Not at all like the modern Creeds starting with GIT since the animalic note of ambergris or civet is absent. Wears close to the skin. Would be a nice surprise for anyone snuggling up to the wearer. The bad news is that Creed is pulling the frag. It will be reissued once or twice a decade. The good news is that Chanel Cuir de Russie is nearly identical, only lighter.

14 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 15 April, 2009)

ImpalaSS's avatar
    ImpalaSS

Envy for Men by Gucci

Great scent, but somehow I get a hint of Chinese mooncake fresh from the oven that Chinese people always have during Mid-autumn occasion,a little strange

chrised's avatar
    chrised

Aromatics Elixir by Clinique

A killer chypre which tramples over all the other insipid Clinique offerings. Manages to be both simultaneously bright and dusky. Evokes a sunbeam entering an ancient forest.... Earthy, sophisticated, complex and totally appropriate as a modern masculine male fragrance

creekside22's avatar
    creekside22

Youth Dew by Estée Lauder

I used to love Youth Dew! I had SO many compliments on it. I even had a man follow me one time and said he LOVED the scent and wanted to get some for his wife:)

But what has happened to it? It's a shadow of it's former self. It started when they watered down their lotions and creams and now . .. it's more like Cinnabar. It's lost it's essense. And what a shame. Youth Dew was just such a classic and unique scent.

Is it cost? The makers want to save a few bucks and scrimp on essential oils? I grew up in the 60s and perfumes like Tigress and Emeraude were just heavenly! Now days they smell NOTHING like they used to. That's why I buy vintage on ebay!

hsuanlin's avatar
    hsuanlin
    Taiwan Taiwan

China Rose by Floris

This is over-strong and sweety for me!
    Even I am a rose mania..still cannot adore this. Just two small spritzs behind my ears, leave two days heavy smell on my collar and I have to throw my clothes to washing machine to get rid of it...

This strong scent makes me not feeling feminine, elegant nor sexy. Quite far from the imagination which roses bring to me. And, not as mysterious as its name "China Rose".

hsuanlin's avatar
    hsuanlin
    Taiwan Taiwan

Rose by Santa Maria Novella

This is my favorite! Real rosy and, elegant. Long lasting(over than 6 hrs) on my skin but never too strong.

Smelled just as a big bound of, natural red roses. Very nice scent and alwayas makes me could not stop to sniff myself. I also ever received compliment from colleagues and inquiries about this parfume.

Feeling like become more prettier when wearing this one.

"Vintage" Tabaróme by Creed

This has been pulled from the Creed line up. It will be reintroduced every five years or so in a limited edition. I won't miss it. Its scent has been pirated over the decades by, among other things, mothballs and the pucks in men's urinals. I'm not kidding. The tobacco everyone seems to note doesn't hit my nose. I get a heavy, dense smell of some type of aperitif or digestif with a trace of camphor and a pronounced leather accord--leather as the scent exists in fragrance, not as it exists in leather products: a somewhat cloying, sweet smell present in Royal English Leather as well but in a much lighter way. While I suppose I could imagine Bogart and Churchill wearing this, I could more easily imagine a maiden aunt, the kind who wears the hat with the veil over the face, and a charm bracelet, and who tipples a little too much, wearing this. The update, which many seem appalled by, is, to my nose, far more alluring. "Vintage" Tabarome is an example of a fragrance that is out of fashion largely because it has been ripped off so much by the functional fragrance industry. A classic scent, a little too overripe for my taste, but a distinct and well-rendered frag.

14 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 03 March, 2011)

Lian's avatar
    Lian
    Netherlands Netherlands

Scandal by Roja Dove

To me the opening is fresh and warm because of the orange blossom. A little while later the flowers mix in with the top notes and the top notes fade slowly. The flowers are blended very nicely and the pyramid of notes arent all the notes, at the haute perfumery they told me that there is clove in here as well but everything is blended so much that nothing really overpowers one note or another.

I love jasmine and I can detect it´s magic in here as a greener aspect that gives elegance but also a touch of green that stops it from becoming too overpowering. i think Scandal takes all the good stuff from each flower and uses it to make a very nice floral perfume that has the brightness, the richness and elegance you look for in different florals.

It´s not a soft delicate floral perfume but a very present, elegant and confident floral. It´s not overly sensual or over the top anything. But it´s there and present and it won´t back down, there is no need. It´s a nice blended, well rounded floral that won´t make excuses. I like a bit of attitude in my perfumes and this one has a professional attitude, it does what it does ( being a floral perfume) and it good at what it does ( being a well blended perfume).

The base is a bit softer, but I can still smell floral for ages but once the base notes start to mingle in it becomes a bit softer and mellowed out.

If you like all sorts of floral you should give this one a try and you might find a way to fit it into your wardrobe ( Can´t make up your mind what floral you want today? Have a bit of everything, brilliant)

distortech's avatar
    distortech

Diesel Zero Plus by Diesel

I'm with SirSlarty on this one... wonderful. I love it.

Brielle87's avatar
    Brielle87
    France France

Galimar by Galimard

This is truly one of the greatest, yet least known scents. I absolutely adore it. It is really the essence of spring.

TaraYvonne's avatar
    TaraYvonne

Daim Blond by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Gorgeous, very well-done suede. Not leather, suede. There's a big difference in the two scents. Daim Blond is pure luxury, elegant and refined. I think this is the perfect office scent. It's not my type of fragrance, but I appreciate the brilliance of it. I highly recommend anyone new to the world of fragrance sample this first as a starter to the Luten's line. Serge is famous for taking risks, and more timid people might be turned off and stay away from the whole line if they start on a riskier fragrance. This is beautifully done light apricot and suede, and I would be shocked if anyone had an extreme reaction to it. But I must say this IS light stuff. If you like a more powerful fragrance this won't be for you. I find this is quiet elegance in a bottle.

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Bright and metallic with a tea note shining above everything. Very sparkling. I think this is Creed's take on the modern unisex scent. Much like the way ck One is constructed using a bright citrus, SMW uses tea and the Creed house note of metallic ambergris (toned down a lot) to make the bright metallic tea accord. Dull and inky at times but brightens up every once in a while. I would file this one under "youthful classic".

SirSlarty's avatar
    SirSlarty

Burberry the Beat for Men by Burberry

This green/teal colored juice is a crisp vetiver and other green notes and very peppery throughout. Aquatic in a way but has an odd woody drydown. Very, very peppery so if you like pepper you'd like this.

Kaern's avatar
    Kaern

Little Italy by Bond No. 9

I am not sure what people want from citrus fragrances -- wood, leather,petrol? I find Little Italy to be a really beautiful, deep orange and lemon fragrance and to me, exudes quality. I prefer this to Tangerine Vert, which is very similar -- so a cheaper alternative if you like. A joyous frag for a hot day.

kess's avatar
    kess

Myrrhe & Merveilles by Keiko Mecheri

I really like myrrh, but this is awful because of the soap. I typically don't like soapy notes, but can tolerate them if nicely done. But no, this is not the luxe soap you get in most fragrances. Elf (below) was spot on about the Soviet soap -- this is an extremely true (although I assume accidental) rendition of the nasty brown "Khozyaystennoye" soap that I had plenty of exposure too during my childhood. I can detect nice myrrhe lurking in the background but the soap makes it a scrubber for me.

For me, this is "Myrrhe and Mauvais Souvenirs."

LilianNY's avatar
    LilianNY

Mediterraneum by Versace

I love this stuff. Bought my bottle at Bendels on clearance at least 10 years ago and use very sparingly because sometimes I want something lighter.... also a little goes a long way and on me, lasts all day. This is a spicy/musky/patchouli to me, reminds me a little of the Tom Ford White Orchid. I think it is geared toward men, but I wear it also (for ref I love Tea for Two, Hadrien Body Cream, Cristalle edT and The Pour Un Ete). I don't know what they were thinking with the marketing, but it definitely doesn't seem to be a "Fabio" type of scent. I see that they are a bargain on ebay now so will probably try a bottle to see if it is the same stuff. My bottle has a blue plastic cap with a little metal look over it. I'm surprised how little info I can find on this. Would also love to know more about the Mediterraneum Donna if anyone has tried it.

BlackCat's avatar
    BlackCat

Dark Rose by Czech & Speake

Yes, this is reminiscent of Montale's rose aouds but is still distinct in my mind for its balance and subtlety. It's softer than Black Aoud but zingier than some of the softer Montales. Lovers of dark-ish woody roses (male and female) should give this one a whirl.

's avatar

Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger

After receiving some rather negative comments from females at the office about my "too strong and overbearing" scents (Kouros Fraicheur & Safari etc), I bought this to wear to work as a nice casual scent. Well, they all like it and so do I to a certain extent, although I feel a little too old to be wearing this kind of stuff (I'm 33) and do prefer more masculine frags. Anyway, this is a nice fresh scent, slightly fruity and best worn during the spring or summer time. Women seem to prefer these lighter and almost unisex scents on a man, don't they?

charger's avatar
    charger

Fuel For Life pour Homme by Diesel

Strats out a little loud and cloying, but after about half an hour it is pleasant. It borders on being too feminine smelling for me as well.