Fragrance Reviews from April 2009

xmen's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Gucci by Gucci by Gucci

An unexpected delight. This one is so superior to the men's version in every way that I wonder aloud why Gucci bothered with the men's version. Gucci is also very unisex, so getting this one instead of pour homme is for me a foregone conclusion. For the edp strength, the longevity is quite respectable.

Aimee0517's avatar

Dior Addict by Christian Dior

Let me preface this review by stating that I'm a huge fan of vanilla and gourmand scents. When first sprayed, I do not like Dior Addict, however after about 20 minutes it morphs into the sexiest, spiced vanilla scent I have ever smelled. I only spray it once and it lasts all day. I wouldn't recommend spraying more than 1 spray of this at a time. At first it is extremely overpowering and doesn't smell like is does after it dries down at all. As long as you can get through the first 20 minutes after putting this on, it's just magic! I'm buying the lotion today as well as I just can't get enough of this perfume. Considering all you need is 1 spray, the bottle will last a very long time. I've been wearing this all winter and honestly don't want to have to change perfumes for the summer time, however I always wear more of a fruity perfume in the summer due to the humidity and whatnot.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 2 Red: Carnation by Comme des Garçons

Starts with a peppery/clove bite which mellows to a soft, delicate spicy carnation with a hint of red rose and jasmine with a undercurrent of spice to blend it all to gether. Cooling on a hot summer day or warm and comforting in winter.

01st April, 2009 (Last Edited: 15 May, 2009)

parfums*PARFUMS Series 1 Leaves: Lily by Comme des Garçons

Opens on a really green note; goes through a kind of orchestra-of-lilies and freesias phase before drying down to a lily-of-the-valley scent that is charming and modest. I wish it weren't quite so sweet during the dry-down and had a more lemony note to it, but still, I like it.

01st April, 2009 (Last Edited: 14 April, 2009)

Julia by Téo Cabanel

One me Julia opens with a vibrant fruity floral and dry downs to a slightly powdery fruity sweetness with a warm note of sandalwood and musk. Lovely for a warm evening out.

01st April, 2009 (Last Edited: 15 May, 2009)

Dunhill Edition by Dunhill

It was 1988, I went into a Dunhill of London store (we had one back then in Montreal) after learning in a Fleming novel that James Bond wore Dunhill.
    I tried the original Dunhill for men (1934) and found it way too overpowering - not bad, just too much for little moi. I remember thinking 'no so self-respecting spy could ever have the drop on anyone wearing this!' But then discretion was never really part of Bond’s many attributes, was it?
    Then the salesman - the image of British elegance for a price- offered me a more recent Dunhill Edition (1984) to try.
    There was a lemon opening to be replaced by spicy sweet cinnamon and clove that lingers on a back drop of luxurious woody aroma. As a youth I had cedar shelves in my room and it is one of those smells that stay with you. Needless to say I fell in love with the scent!
    Now this is more what I had in mind for a gentleman's scent; understated elegance, discretion being the better part of valour! No knock-over-the-furniture-here-I-come-aura; no intrusive or offensive claim-this-space-for-queen-and-country-sillage but when people get close they don't back away, not in my twenty years experience with it! More than once I was asked what I was wearing.
    I bought the 100 ml bottle right there and then for the princely sum of 150$. Quite an investment for my student budget back then, but then I thought I was buying class in a bottle!
    A few years later, mercifully, the price was about halfway down for the same-sized bottle.
    It's a very pleasant smell that still mixes well with my skin's chemistry. My wife couldn’t get enough of it, sometimes I muse we never would have made it to the altar otherwise!
    My signature scent for the last 20 years – Sadly now discontinued - Wished P&G ‘d reconsider.
    C'est la vie!
    5/5 stars

Loewe para Hombre by Loewe

As I searched for a replacement for defunct Dunhill Edition I came across a review somewhere that stated this fragrance had 'the same idea but executed far better'. Naturally I had to try this!
    Fortunately my local Perfume shop at the Rockland centre had it.
    What can I say : Lemon (lots and lots of it!), spice, anis and musk.
    Could be vulgar, but it isn't.
    If D.E. is the self-assured urban British gentleman of the power-hungry corporate eighties, Loewe pour homme is the Spanish aristocrat that becomes the matador whenever the need arises.
    This one I consider a sexy smell on account of the 'animal factor' in the juice. I'll admit I find it off putting at times (call me prudish) but I always get over it quickly.
    A unique fragrance to say the least, very hard to find here in Canada. Best for day wear IMO.
    BTW the juice is light green, not yellow, unlike in the picture shown here.
    4.5/5 stars

Vetyver Uomo by Malizia

The good: A simple straightforward vetiver, clean smell with an slight oily note in there at a very low price (got me a 50ml @ 7.99$ and around x-mas a 100ml @ 11.99$).
    The bad: Longevity is about the same as this review.
    3.75/5 stars

01st April, 2009 (Last Edited: 26 December, 2009)

Encre Noire by Lalique

A most unique smell. This is easily one of the most intriguing smells I've come across in a long, long time.
    The Vétiver is strong in this one (It’s the main theme- two vétivers bourbon and Haiti - no secret here) but unlike the 'soapy' ones or the 'green' ones on the market this one is ‘dark and smoky.’ I sense a medicinal aroma that I'm hard pressed to identify...Also I detect a trace of fruitiness at times. The adjective that comes to my mind is 'Mysterious'. I like to think of this one as the Darth Vader of fragrances - at least the ones I've tried.
    I would give this one a higher rating , I really would, since I really like the frag and its concept HOWEVER after only wearing this a few times I found that it gave me pretty BAD HEADACHES! Not for everyone - not me that's for sure.
    3/5 stars

01st April, 2009 (Last Edited: 01st October, 2009)

Guess by Marciano for Men by Guess

I'm not a big fan of the Guess fragrances for men (Suede and MAN) but I do like the smell of the original Guess by Marciano, especially on my wife, so when they did their thing for men I decided to give it a try. I wasn't disappointed.
    To my nose this smells like orange liqueur (think Cointreau or Grand Marnier) mixed with the peels of an orange or grapefruit. Do I detect a dash of vanilla? The 'colour' that this brings to my mind is dark orange, definitely.
    An interesting smell that lingers on for a few hours. IF you like oranges try it!
    4/5 stars.

JAntoinette's avatar

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Just delicious. I am transported when I wear this. A beautiful, sweet, enigmatic leather.

pLaTypu5's avatar

Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani

Love it. Works with my body chemistry incredibly well. The tonka bean blends very well with the guiac, and the bergamot and lemon combination is instantly recognizable. Always getting complimented on this.

Keep it for the night, though. Definitely not for daytime.

Arts Rep's avatar

2 Oeillet by Prada

Sensuous, rich, layered without being complicated. Modern and classic at once. Elegant. Sillage is clean and it lasts forever on my skin....it actually has that ability to make it seem as though it IS the scent of my skin. The carnation dominates throughout but is never sweet or cloying. Quickly becoming my signature.

Wild Fig and Cassis by Jo Malone

I liked this one enough to buy some. It is a very intriguing scent and I find myself sniffing constantly. I think of mushrooms and peat; earthy.

Orange Blossom by Jo Malone

My favorite Jo Malone (though not a huge fan of JM overall). Nice soft citrus - truly oranges. Not anything complex or interesting here but a gentle and pleasant scent.

Blue Agava and Cacao by Jo Malone

I found that this fragrance was too foodie and couldn't detect different notes. It does however pair well with Jo Malone's Wild Fig and Cassis.

White Jasmine & Mint by Jo Malone

I agree that JM lacks depth. This was my least likable JM fragrance - all mint for me all the way (of the spearmint variety too) and kept waiting for the Jasmine. Maybe it was there?? HATE this fragrance (yes that's a strong word) and was nauseated by it.

Singinghound's avatar

Équipage by Hermès

Talk about evocative. It takes me to some of the happiest places I know- big stone rooms poorly heated with inadequate fires; freezing days out hunting, and waking up in the middle of the night, having been pushed out of bed by my dogs. This fragrance is as old as I am, and I absolutely love it. I don't know how you can be smoky and woody, but also fresh and slightly floral, but this one does it, and I'm hooked.

pickyscent's avatar

Bal d'Afrique by Byredo

The gentlemen in Barney's kindly turned me on to this new fragrance (apparently in the US it is only available there). This scent is beautiful. It is sensual and has a perfect balance. I think this could be worn both day and night, as the scent is light, charming, and feminine but not overbearing. My new go-to-scent. Headache test: Pass!! (pass means no headaches).

xtang's avatar

Silver Bond / Andy Warhol Silver Factory by Bond No. 9

Went to the Bond flagship store in NY. I was having a custom blend made for me, when I sniffed this offering. At first I was put off, by a medicinal smell. I got a sample and was on my way. Once home I tried it on my skin and really came to like it. The incense stay from the opening all way through. I detect a menthol note similar to Vicks menthol rub. I guess that is were I get the medicinal smell from. It does have a metallic note like is very unique. Bottom line this is one of the most unique scents I have ever smelt. Great for night time wear.

Antaeus by Chanel

One of the greatest scents of all time! It starts out sweet but develops into a warm and manly fragrance. It's not for everyone, or every occasion, but is definitely worth a try. Two thumbs up!

Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentrée by Chanel

This is an elegant scent that emits an aura of warmth about it. Yet, it is very fresh. I love it. It starts out strong, but somehow disappears before I know it. I really wish it had a more of a transformation, but it still gets a thumbs up.

This is the ideal scent for any dressed-up occasion. It's a special scent, I wouldn't use it everyday, even though I have 3 bottles.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

I can't put my thumb up or down on this one.

Sometimes L'Eau D'Issey impresses me in ways other aquatics can't. It is fresh and spicy. Woody yet sensual. Unfortunately, it is quite often short lived. The weather is always a factor though. In humid conditions, it tends to thrive it seems. Or is it dry? I forget.

I'll give it a neutral, although I really wish I could give it the thumbs up.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Intense by Issey Miyake

It really isn't a stronger version of the original. Both have their own identities if you ask me; not sure what Issey was thinking. I like this version better. It lost the original's spiciness however.

That said, the Intense version is more of an office scent if you ask me. You're not going to impress anybody, but you're definitely going to smell fresh. Thumbs up.

Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa by Acqua di Parma

I love this scent! You can smell the quality from the first spray until the last wiff (which unfortunately isn't that much later). It is quite strong initially, but dries down into a warm fragrance that emits masculine confidence. Great stuff.

Still, I wish it lasted longer. 2-3 hours max. Shouldn't expect more from an EDC I guess. Thumbs up!

through's avatar

L'Eau Monteil by Germaine Monteil

I remember this one! I loved it. My nose is in-experienced, but I gathered it to be an almost childlike blend of fruits and sweet herbs. To me, this is a happy and casual scent. Like a baby that has just eaten a fresh wedge of watermelon. When I was wearing it, I lived in Florida and it went perfectly with the steamy and sultry weather. It lifted my mood with soft florals. I would recomend this as a feminine and slighly sporty fragrance for young women, and any woman who is young at heart and prefers fruity florals.

through's avatar

Nature Millénaire by Yves Rocher

I totally loved this fragrance. It took me to a place, that no other fragrance has ever taken me before. I love truly natural scents. To me, this scent is like fresh, black earth after a long rain. It reminded me of when I was a child, and helped my mother in her vegetable garden. I love that "dirt" smell. I have only smelled one other fragrance like this one, and I cannot remeber the name. It seems like perhaps it was Gap "Pink", or something similar. But, Nature Millenaire will always be one of my all-time favorites. I only wish I could still find it...

Coco by Chanel

I adore Coco.

I first tried it years ago, and loved, hated it. I'm older, and perhaps the great lady herself has been tamed a bit by the attentions of a new generation of noses.

The fragrance unfolds in continuing astonishment, warm, bright, spicy, compelling.

Thank goodness Coco doesn't smell like the cigarettes Ms. Chanel was always photographed with.

Tabu by Dana

My all-time favorite. A guilty pleasure. My answer to the drugstore reputation of this rich, spicy, witty and confident fragrance? I decant the juice into a stunning amber swirled art-glass bottle for my dresser, add a pinch of white shoulders for brightness in the middle notes and call the blend "Sonorous." I tell myself it was almost too expensive, but worth it to smell so fabulous.

White Shoulders by Elizabeth Arden

My all time favorite "lady" perfume. Completely appropriate for any occasion. Clean, warm and lovely. I can't stop smelling the crook of my elbow in the lingering amber-vanilla drydown.

I absolutely refuse to care that this has a stupid name, bad advertizing, and a drugstore reputation. I've never found anything as lovely.