Fragrance Reviews from April 2009

's avatar

Mackie (new) by Bob Mackie

I have a secret soft spot for unpretentious,brash, sexy things.

Mackie is one of these guilty pleasures, along with Cassini, Bijan, Black XS, and a few others.

It smells just like a low rent Jil Sander 4. Not that it is poor quality; it's actually quite well done. It has an innate beauty that captures attention. But it doesn't have good manners, act polished, reserved, or know which fork to use. It could be offensive in a proper setting. And that quality in an of itself is sexy. And the scent is very sexy as well.

It's a complex, heady, very sweet, dark Oriental fragrance, an though it boasts no vanilla, I smell vanilla. And I like it. Also very consistent from first blast through drydown.

It is also intensely female. Like black lace is female.

All in all, perhaps the best bang for your buck on the perfume market.

Helmut Lang Woman by Helmut Lang

My first Helmut Lang experience was with Cuiron, which I hated. I couldn't understand what the raves were about. So I was hesitant to try this, but thank god I did. It is truly amazing. Everso's review is spot on. This is a rich, creamy, sophisticated musk. I like Musc Ravageur, but when I am in the mood for that I will go to this now. When I have it on, I can't help but sniff myself. I am sure I look ridiculous, but this scent is addictive and very unisex.

Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

Wow. I was surprised by this one. To think that in 1951 a major house wasn't afraid to put something like this out! Or maybe things were more daring then. This starts off with a typical, commercial citrus zing, but quickly turns dirty and anamalic in a very good way. Although it stays fairly linear on me, I still love it. If you see this one at a good price, buy it!~

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

What can I say that hasn't been said in the other positive reviews. This is the Holy Grail of musks. It is dirty, sexy, and unforgettable. This is a must have for every scent lover's collection.

Clair de Musc by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I agree that this is a simple musk, but am surprised by how dismissive some of the other reviews are. I am a musk lover and really enjoy this. It is is no MKK, or Helmut Lang EDP, but it is nice, airy, yet sphisticated and distinctive musk. Perfect for occasions where you want to make a statement without screaming too loud.

crickhollow's avatar

Jasmin by Le Galion

I wore this fragrance in the early 70's and then it disappeared. I was told the jasmine fields had been destroyed during Middle East fighting. I have never found a comparable scent - it was gorgeous. More men remarked on this fragrance then anything else I have ever worn. I just purchased a vintage 1/3 oz bottle from Aunt Judy's Attic but it had "turned" - still fragrant but not the same. I am constantly looking for a replacement but haven't found one in 30+ years.

1881 by Cerruti

I Loved the aroma of this when I first tried it a year ago and recently rediscovered it. The first notes hit like a rush of spice and downplayed sweets (which is a fave). The fruity, yet floral mid-notes continue to play with my senses, but after a 10 hour day the scent almost disappears and (one more then one occasion) begins to have a peculiar sulfur smell. Anyone else experience this?

I still like it and rank it at my tops.

Andron for Men by Jovan

Sad this is a endangered scent. Andron was one of those colognes that stayed with you for a long time (and in memory to boot). I still have the empty bottle which I smell occasionally.

I can only hope to find it at a flea market as I once did in 1997. but since never again.

L'Homme by Roger & Gallet

I need more of this scent to be certain. One of my top 10 faves.

Anaïs Anaïs by Cacharel

Nice and summery. I personally find in inoffensive and cute. Definately one to have on the dressing table.

No. 5 by Chanel

When I turn 50, I will wear this everyday.

It just smells too "old lady" for me currently.

Miracle by Lancôme

I liked this! Good staying power.

cK one by Calvin Klein

Great for freshening you up in the morning, or even for "classy-ing" yourself up for a casual party.
    I like how the smell stays on clothes for a long time (value!) and changes with your own personal smell.

Just a good all rounder, on guys OR girls.

Amor Amor by Cacharel

Can smell a bit trashy and smokey after a while.
    If you're in the partying mood, then give it a spray! If not, give it a miss.

Curious by Britney Spears

I liked this a LOT more than Fantasy.
    Fresh and pretty.

Fantasy by Britney Spears

NOT A FAN.
    Overpowering is a massive understatement.
    Crippling headache is another.

Buzzlepuff's avatar

Ice*Men by Thierry Mugler

I like this summer spritzer better than most of the other sweet and sparkling summer fragrances that are on the market. At first blast it smells like wintergreen with a touch of guava tropical sweetness. The tropical mint is softened by a coffee/chocolate note that is an effective pillow to balance this tart opening. The base is dominated by patchouli that is very lightly done. The base is what I like best about Ice*Men with its patchouli that ends standing alone long after the sweet mint opening wears out. Patchouli is my favorite note when it is used with complimentary uplifting notes as it is here. A nice crisp minty summer fragrance that helps keep your cool. Ice*Men.

Buzzlepuff's avatar

All American by Stetson

At first sniff you have to conclude that the Stetson perfumers decided we need another representative foray into the tropical fresh woody frag market that is dominated by Acqua di Gio and Polo Blue. Yep, this is the niche All American is trying for and after having dozens of others that have gone before to emulate, well they did a pretty good job with it. This fragrance works as well as any for this kind of thing. If you crave an ultra fresh spring and summer, sweet, soft yet silvery clean smelling synthetic sparkling spritzer - All American by Stetson certainly succeeds!

A bit of tropical guava and ginger covering light and sparkling woods softened with suede and musks - it works very well. Sparkling but also very soft. You feel good wearing this. Yes it is familiar idea in post 2000 fragrance ideas, but it works well as a quick fix for freshness. A great workout fragrance or summer refresher. It is hard to find anything to object to about this fragrance except that it just doesn't stand on its own much. It is very similar to and maybe not quite as interesting as Diamonds for Men, AdG, Fierce, Versace PH, Ice*Men, Bulgari Marine and so many others. But still it is hard to find offense with it too.

chatnoir's avatar

Chloé Narcisse by Chloé

Narcisse starts out sweet and a little fruity, but quickly becomes a spicy floral, with the jasmine and carnation-y spice floating to the top. In its entirety, it really does smell like a spring bulb flower, though my daffodils never smelled this intoxicating :-) To me, this smells like seduction. What a great frag!

Diesel Green Feminine by Diesel

I don’t find the lime opening very attractive. It’s not exactly a bad lime note, but it’s too strong and has too alcoholy an ambiance; however, since it’s lime it doesn’t annoy for very long. The middle goes floral, spicy, ferny, powdery, and abundantly sweet… powerfully green: so many notes, so little organization. For floral I get mostly orange blossom and jasmine, which is ordinarily an excellent combination, but these are not quality notes. The cinnamon and ginger spices are well done – not at all strong but filling out the background nicely. Mainly there is green and sweet. The spicy base goes even sweeter and quite powdery on my skin – musk and vanilla, and opoponax – rather clunky in presentation. Actually the Diesel Green, besides being generic, seems more masculine than feminine. There is so much lacking in this except the bottle is kind of cute.

Balsam by Agraria

This excellent scent reminds me of some of the resinous, drier Madini scents. It is dry, a bit smoky, and a great fir scent. On my skin, I don’t get very much floral at all – to me it is strongly masculine as a personal fragrance, but, as a room fragrance, not so masculine. Odysseusm has described it so well there’s no point in my repeating. For my part, suffice it to say that Agraria is an excellent and unique fragrance. I can very easily see a use for this as a personal fragrance and I would be looking to get the complementary products. Love it…

Lemon Verbena by Agraria

Pure furniture polish… Hmmm… After the wonderful Agraria Balsam and Bitter Orange, this one is a letdown. I am usually thumbs up on anything that has a strong verbena note, but not this one. Agraria’s Lemon Verbena is a Lemon Pledge smell alike. I would not want this one either as a personal fragrance or a room fragrance. But the other two Agraria’s are wonderful.

Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne

Quite a complex, citrus-spicy accord for the opening: Isfarkand is unique and rich – so rich that it gives a whole new interpretation to citrus. Immediately upon spraying I can smell the vetiver along with the opening’s smooth citrus and spicy pepper.

After a decent amount of time, the cedar joins in to give a rare sophistication to this light citrus, spicy, green accord. To my nose the iris adds primarily a texture to the heart notes. The heart is luxurious but in a non-dramatic way – it’s a platform for the peppery citrus / green from the opening and the vetiver from the base. The fragrance doesn’t move much and when it does, it moves gradually. Once the heart and base are achieved, there’s always present what I would call, that Ormonde Jayne note: I’ve tried only one other Ormonde Jayne scent – Ormonde Man, and that was the scent that I thought of when Isfarkand was halfway through its heart notes. The drydown is a delightfully refined vetiver and moss accord which contains the remnants of the stronger preceding notes. The drydown is soft but rich and has quite moderate sillage. Longevity is moderate, also. I am not in love with Isfarkand because I don't happen to be enamored of that Ormonde Jayne accord, but this is undeniably a refined, sophisticated, quality fragrance.

Patchouly by Profumum

Excellent patchouli: deep, rich and incensy. I don’t get as much amber in the accord as the others have identified, but I think that the amber accounts for the deeply rich fluidity of the fragrance. The patchouli, sandalwood, amber, and incense form a quite dry, dark behemoth of a fragrance. Yet, in its potency, it is an elegant fragrance that doesn’t resort to rawness or roughness. Patchouly is just as smooth and rippleless as silk and glass. On my skin this doesn’t come off as animalic, but it doesn’t need to… It’s about as imposing a patchouli scent as I’ve encountered – long lasting, too.

Ichnusa by Profumum

Quite strongly green with an emphasis on fig – the opening is a sharp, almost annoying, anonymous green that soon morphs into a cleaner, warm/cool fig leaf note. As usual, my skin gobbles up the florals so I get mostly green, making Ichnusa a unisex or even masculine fragrance. The pyramid at parfyym labels it “figtree” wood, but I get fig leaf, I get neither fig wood, nor fig fruit… only pure green that is so sharply green that I suspect there are a few drops of tomato leaf in the mix. There is also a strong fresh-cut grass note that supports the sharp fig green. The green reminds me of the beginnings of Sisley’s Eau de Campagne, but Sisley’s EdC soon changes and mellows to a more calming, richer grassy vegetal green instead of staying the sharp green as Ichnusa does. Ichnusa is also much more reticent… it becomes little more than a skin scent, and that, too, is short lasting.

Because I don’t get any florals from Khnusa, it seems uninterestingly linear and not very complex. It’s might even call it a pleasant scent, but it is not highly interesting and it doesn’t hold very long on my skin and there are several other greens that I prefer.

Vintage Soul by Curve by Liz Claiborne

A bit spicy and a pretty much a floriental… Vintage Soul is not as bad as I thought it would be because of my familiarity to several other Liz Claiborne fragrances. It has a bunch of fruit listed in the opening – cantaloupe, apple, and cranberry – but I get mainly a bergamot / modified fruit cocktail opening with some patchouli in the background. Also in the background is a flyby cranberry note that provides a bit of interest, but the rest of the fruit notes don’t come across very clearly… Del Monte Fruit Cocktail, anyone? The floral heart comes on quite strong and I mainly get jasmine and linden a bit spiced up: Not a bad accord and the heart is more pleasant than not. The drydown presents a musky, vanilla-y patchouli accord that surprised me because I thought it a rather masculine – masculine enough (and enjoyable enough) that I wouldn’t hesitate to wear it.

There’s nothing ultra-special about Vintage Soul, but it is competent and affable, and I find that a bit unusual for a Liz Claiborne fragrance. I appreciate that it is non-synthetic and not overly sweet. It has a rather substantial opening and middle accord, but the drydown very nicely diminishes the excess strength of the early stages. Not a bad fragrance, really – almost a thumbs up... (Edit of 16 April 2009 Review)

16 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 16 June, 2009)

Kiton Black by Kiton

I find that Kiton Black is rather similar to the original Kiton Man. It’s more casual and it’s an easier wear than the first Kiton. To my nose, the top citrus notes are overwhelmed by the violet leaves – I don’t get any berries or anything else very sweet… and I think that a little more sweet is definitely needed. The middle accord – cyclamen, cardamom, and cedar – comes across as rather too neutral; to my nose it lacks anything that would make the accord special. The base is very similar to the base of the original except that the moss has been replaced by leather and the result is a smoother accord. Even though Kiton Black has less longevity than the original, I think it is the better fragrance: It has a competent construction and quite good quality ingredients, but I don’t care for several of the particular notes - especially the violet leaf. Just as in the original Kiton, I can’t find the love.

Indie_Guy's avatar

Vétiver by Creed

One of the softest, smoothest most subtle vetivers I've ever experienced.

Much is often said of the craggy "mineral" note of this one, and I agree that this scent does conjure images of digging into damp clean earth. Still, it's very subtle. What I also get is a substantial alpha-isomethyl ionone note and it's got that quality of being somewhere between "buttery" and "ashen". This may be what gives it that wet, rocky, grey feel. Some have said there is little vetiver in this, and I'll concede, this is not a mega-vetiver for the bean counters. I do, however, easily detect vetiver here. The ginger gives it a spark and there's a slight kiss of sweetness in the base.

The longevity/strength can be deceptive with this one. I can sit at home and spray several times on my arms and it seems like the stuff vanishes in minutes. However a few days ago, I wore two sprays under my t-shirt and dress shirt at work. It lasted at least 10 hours and actually generated some sillage. I was pleasantly surprised. It seems to lack oomph, but I think the more you wear it, the more you notice it.

Understatement is the theme of Creed Vetiver, but it's totally refined and gentlemanly. I also find its quiet beauty to be calming and almost hypnotic at times. Perfection.

JaimeB's avatar

Noir Epices by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Brooding, sensuous, mysterious... Citrus and floral top note; bold spices in the middle; woody and rooty base — a near-chypre in my book, except for the lack of oakmoss. This is a haunting fragrance to wear, and not for the timid. It has a definite presence and a notable sillage. Best for evenings out or romantic ones at home, but fine (judiciously applied) for daytime socials. A scent of confidence, self-assurance, allure, and animal magnetism; be all that, or use with caution!

Joe_Frances's avatar

Green by Byredo

A wonderful fragrance that is true to its name. A beautiful, masculine green spring and summer fragrance that is very special and very desirable. Not much more needs to be said. It smells wonderfully natural and easy to wear. Very expensive, but this is a very companionable product.