Fragrance Reviews from April 2009

Joe_Frances's avatar

Rose Noir by Byredo

The continued search for the most intriguing rose fragrance led me as in a trance to the fragrance counter at Barneys for an extended testing of this curious little thing. Rose Noire is makes no suggestion of night or darkness, in my opinion. Citrus and especially grapefruit is about as 'noire-ish' as orange juice. This is neither day nor night, but definitely not night. The notes are riotous, yet subdued - - traffic in the distance. A modern work, like modern music or modern art, more discord that accord, yet toned down to a moderate contemporary sensibility-- a whisper. I am at a loss what to make of this. How can you hate a low-keyed fragrance that won't get you in trouble with the fragrance police or the secretarial staff? Isn't it interesting to wear a fragrance that is elusive and perplexing? Yet, who can walk out of a concert humming a tune by Cage or Ligetti? Do you understand the foreign allusions in the poems comprising "The Four Quartets"? This is not easy to relate to. Yet it is interesting. Citrus and musk together, generally work together like onions and mayo in my book. Ultimately, I find this hard to related to and very expensive to boot. In the final analysis, rose is so not what this fragrance is about, at least from the way the notes played out on my skin. A fascinating totally different citrus fragrance is the best way I could describe this. Try it if you want to know what a citrus with a suggestion of rose is like; buy it if you can relate and are quite well off. I dare you. Avant garde and cooly intellectual so, maybe it is more a conceptual art piece than music. A brave artist's experimental piece, multi media and in a non-existent foreign language. Hmmm. Maybe it's the work of a mad scientist, a genius, who knows. I know life is strange enough, I don't need a strange intriguing fragrance. At least not right now.

Joe_Frances's avatar

Bal d'Afrique by Byredo

This is a very intriguing fragrance. Smooth, soft, distinctive, neither masculine nor feminine, it is the scent of ambiguity and charm; refinement that doesn't seem to fit into easy categories. This Nose likes to push the envelope with seeming opposites. Lemon and amber; neroli and cedar-- what can we make of these notes? It is not for us to figure out. Why bother to try to figure out what is going on? I find this refreshing in the morning with citrus notes; playful in the afternoon, keeping me uplifted with light florals; and calm in the evening with amber and cedar. Not spicy really; not fruity, it is a very special fragrance that could be worth the pot of gold it takes to acquire. We are moving into slightly unchartered territory here. Bravo!

kewart's avatar

Escale à Portofino by Christian Dior

This is an awesome summer fragrance from the house of Dior.
    It is like diving into a pool of cool, blue water and emerging feeling
    revived and fresh. I love the interplay of citrus notes with the almond
    in this very well-crafted beauty. Did I mention the bottle was
    gorgeous too?

Diorissimo by Christian Dior

I reach for this bottle often from my vanity. (I have a different shaped bottle than the one in the photo above) Got my 1/2 filled bottle on ebay for a bargain price.

Diorissimo doesn't last long, but while it does it can be compared to therapy. All lily of the valley scents are like therapy- calms you down, relaxes, you start thinking a little more clearly and it's a clean fresh smell.
    It's spicy compared to White Linen by Estee Lauder.

L'Origan by Coty

L'Origan is for me. I have the vintage and the modern bottle. I love this and it is my most beloved fragrance. I agree with Ms. Rockambeau's review. There is a thickness and weight to it which is probably the out-lawed ingredients. When you wear it, you really feel like you are wearing something! I'm just speculating now, but I think it includes in it's ingredients: amber, orange, rose and musk for starters.

Perfumes make you feel a certain way whether it's carefree, settled, beautiful or whatever. L'Origin makes me feel like a mature woman. (I am past 45 so I guess I should feel mature!) but even if a younger somebody wears this, it probably would make them feel older which could be attributed to the heaviness of the perfume.

Rich and heavy is this gorgeous remarkable perfume. It feels like another era, that is one of the reasons I love it so. It isn't a modern scent but it beats them all in my opinion. God only knows how much I love the vintage.

Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca by Guerlain

My daughter has this one. It was her first perfume. She wanted something with mint in it. We had Nick, a white Siamese cat who liked this perfume so much - he jumped on my daughters lap right after she sprayed it on herself! He sniffed and sniffed and we could tell he really liked this!

It doesn't last but an hour on me, but it is a relaxing perfume. Doesn't last long but it has intensity to it. Green is what I smell.

Eau d'Hadrien by Annick Goutal

It didn't make me happy while wearing it. I think this particular perfume is for a person of a melancholic nature that needs to brood. I'm not being sarcastic, it's just that I know there are different fragrances for different personalities.

I had to get rid of my bottle. When I swapped it, I felt guilty giving this melancholic perfume to someone to assist in their unhappiness. It just wasn't for me.

Monyette Paris by Monyette Paris

A replica of monoi de thahiti oil which is gardenias soaked in coconut oil. This is strong, stronger than Datura Noir by serge lutens, but Datura Noir has other added qualities. After I tried Monyette Paris I ordered the monoi de thahiti oil. I don't need to buy monyette paris since I have the MDT oil and Datura Noir. Everyone should have a cocnut fragrance for variety in their fragrance life.

Aoud Lime by Montale

I feel so classy when I wear this. It seems to smell the same all the way to the end with no changes. Is it the patchouli that I admire in it? I don't know for sure. I read somewhere that there is no lime in it but the ingredients make it smell like lime. I'd like to read more on how this fragrance was constructed because it's a great scent. Like to wear my black dress and green sweater while wearing it. this perfume makes me feel Italian. He he he. (I'm not italian).

Geisha Pink by Aroma M

Out of all the geisha samples I tried (tried all of them) I like this one the best, but when I first applied it I thought it was so over board simple , kind of cheap smelling... it grew on me and I went back to this little vial more than the others and used it all up!

Its sweet and grapefruity and cheerful. Just what I needed. I'd like to own this. Oil perfumes are neat the way they go into your skin, especially the back of your neck. You'd be surprised how much you sweat there.

Pure White Linen by Estée Lauder

Here's another good one my husband bought for me while having no taste in fragrances, but he bought this home and I was utterly surprised.
    I need more lily of the valley scents on my vanity. There's a place in my heart for the scent lily of the valley because it is soothing and relaxing and you feel de-cluttered, neat and tidy when you wear it.

Iskander by Parfum d'Empire

I enjoy citrus scents very much. This is likable and I bet my 17 yr old son would wear this with style as I dab it on his clothes in his closet and drawers all the while he doesn't know it.

It's not for me personally but it is likable.

löwe's avatar

Germany Germany

Escada Homme by Escada

Loud and powdery for the first hour. Then it quiet downs, revealing a lovely set of base notes. Good stuff, especially for the price. Use sparingly.

TaraYvonne's avatar

Breath of God by B Never Too Busy To Be Beautiful

This was a bit much for me, but I can appreciate the artistry behind it because it's different. Smoke, the kind from a gas BBQ grill. I can smell the burning gas, a hint of the roasting meat even. Flowers and citrus only in the beginning, which fade directly into a smoke-infused menthol scent. Then it morphs into a faint smoke incense like the kind you can buy in hippy-type music stores. It's really strange. I have never smelled anything like it. I can't see the connection between this fragrance and it's name. In my imagination, I could never see God smelling remotely like this. From the way we've all described the fragrance, could you? I don't find it to be complex, just different. I get no temple incense, I have no fantastic imagery for this scent. I can't believe it got such a high rating, that blows my mind. I think it suffers from overblown hype and a really pretentious name that puts exactly the type of imagery seen here into people's heads. No offense meant, really. I just don't buy it, regardless of what someone in a book tells me to think about it. I think this is simply a "nice" fragrance that would suit a college student very well. I'm sure people will disagree and think it's great. But that's what I love about the world, the differences we all have that make life so interesting. I did enjoy sniffing it though, although wearing it did little for me. For me it was "Meh...I think I'll layer it with something else." And then it was out of my head and forgotten like it was never on me to begin with.

falona19's avatar

Cool Water by Davidoff

I LOVE this guy perfume. I'd even wear it daily. However I don't own it and I suspect that the base notes suck, and as someone said above, smells synthetic. It is a lot better than the female one though.

falona19's avatar

Harajuku Lovers - Baby by Gwen Stefani

I happen to LOVE this perfume! It smells exactly like a baby! Many people don't like it because of this fact, but you shouldn't dislike it because it smells like a baby - because its name is baby; go figure. I love the bottle, I love the perfume. I just wish it was more concentrated and lasted longer and was cheaper because 30ml for $60AU is a RIP OFF for a celebrity perfume. You could find much better value celeb perfumes such as paris hilton and britney spears which are often $45AU or less for 100ml. Apart from the price tag its good :)

I don't know where you would wear it though? Maybe at a picnic or something. Wearing it out to a club or party might attract creepy strangers who like kids..

16 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 21st May, 2009)

ahp's avatar

Narciso Rodriguez for Her by Narciso Rodriguez

I am fascinated by the wildly confliciting opinions this perfume generates. I have to say I didn't think much of the EDT or EDP, not bad but nothing to make me charge for the register either. However, I am addicted to musks, and oils in particular work well for me. So I went for the Musc for Her, I think the scent translates so much better in this form, it's smoother, prettier, richer but still quiet. On me it's a innocent clean floral musk, a daytime fragrance . I just don't get the sexy vibe others mention. I guess my sexy is a little dirtier. I think it's quite pricey for a strictly daytime scent, however, the quality is there, the oil is thick, the scent is concentrated - just a dab or two really will do you all day. The packaging - opaque black bottle in a sturdy reusable black box is perfect for storing indefinately and even though I use this as frequently as any of my others, it will easily outlast them all.

ahp's avatar

Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond / Mandorlo di Sicilia by Acqua di Parma

As others have mentioned, I get ice cream, soft serve ice cream and root beer, I have childhood memories of root beer floats after a day in the sun from a beachside dive appropriately called "The Sugar Shack". So in that way it's nice. I love to sniff the bottle, I may even wear it around the house once in awhile as I do with novelty scents but the sweetness is amplified mightily on my skin which renders it inappropriate for normal wear.

16 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 18 July, 2009)

cid1204's avatar

Czech Republic Czech Republic

Reporter by Oleg Cassini

Lovely scent, classic, but not that old school way "daddyusedtosmelllikethis". It is easy wearable and will not offend anyone. From top to drydown it´smooth ride. Too bad it´s dicontinued.

SirSlarty's avatar

Essence by Avon

Reminds me of KC Reaction on a woodier base. Lasts just as long as Reaction, too (which is really short anyways).

SirSlarty's avatar

Curve Connect for Men by Liz Claiborne

What an odd mix yet feels like a classic fragrance. "Modern" but has an old school feel to it. I say modern because it's not near strong and ballsy enough to be an 80's powerhouse or a truly smooth and complex tobacco scent. The pyramid is minimal and the scent matches the pyramid. Tea (a citrusy one at that) -> light n' sweet aromatic tobacco that's a tad green -> a typical bitter tonka bean and a very light woody base. Just might be a good stepping stone frag from the fresh aquatics into the stronger scents for a newbie or a younger person. It's a neat play on the original Curve as instead of violet, it's tobacco. Overall, the tobacco really stands out. I was very apprehensive to try my sample I've had around for almost a year but turns out this scent is OK.

Merbert's avatar

Galanos by Galanos

I had weird flashbacks of opening my mother's handkerchief drawer as a young child in the 1950s. There's something about the way that the oakmoss and tonka are choked by a mishmash of spices and florals suggests one of the things that sometimes didn't go well during that era of perfume development. Also, I swear that I smell musty old bay leaves somewhere during the drydown. To me, it's a little like Youth Dew gone wrong.

Aznavour's avatar

Blu Notte pour Homme by Bulgari

I don't get the chocolate, but I do get the plastic-y soap as well. There's something reassuring about its powdery blandness that makes me want to give this to my dad or some other paternal figure.

Rodolfo's avatar

Spain Spain

Shanti Shanti by Miller et Bertaux

Delicate rose combined with sandalwood and cardamom. Hints of Iris, patchouly and woods. Very smooh, great blended, spiritual rose. Im amazed!! sillage is good and outstanding longevity. Unisex but a bit on the femenine side, Im tempted to buy a bottle by myself, it's so gorgeous!!

Zhara8's avatar

Burberry the Beat by Burberry

Vetiver, tea, musk, very unisex, a bit of spring, but not especially original. Nothing sexy about it - which is surprising given the musk note - then again, it is a very synthetic musk. other fragrances might be peeking in and out here and there.... bluebell??? who could tell over the big domineering tea/musk/generic citrus aromas? cardamom is an absolute fav of mine, but undetectable here. Pink pepper? I know that's the hawt little ingredient for 2008, but where is it in this mix?

Could be a high end Burberry scent, could be the fragrance added to a man's deoderant stick, could be gym locker deodorant for a high-end raquet club. overall, this one gets a "meh".

Nostalgie's avatar

Astor Place by Bond No. 9

How do you convey a sense of humor and a sense of danger at the same time in a single piece of public art? Well, start by building a 2500 pound metal cube, then mount it on one corner, and allow passersby to make it spin.

That's my reaction to Rosenthal's "Alamo" (a.k.a.
    "The Cube"), the sculpture that inspired Bond. No. 9's newest NYC tribute, Astor Place.

I was hoping that the fragrance construction would echo the Cube's playful, gravity-defying structure. The notes are promising: fresh orange, cool violet leaf, earthy iris. Poppy provides the humor: the flower has no scent s far as I know. Equally invisible is what should be a sturdy base of musk, teak, and ambergris. If the fragrance tips over, blame it on the freesia: strong, long-lasting, overpowering freesia.

By overshadowing the base notes with a heart note, I suppose Astor Place does engage playfully with its sculptural inspiration. In the end, it is funny but dangerous. If you don't like BIG freesia, watch your step.

Theasylph's avatar

Habanita by Molinard

I like vanilla. I like vetiver. I don't like them together, I guess. This just smells very old.

Theasylph's avatar

Brooklyn by Bond No. 9

I got a sample for myself and found it to be too masculine for me. The citrus-y geranium freshness calmed down to a masculine woody base that was a little too much for me. This feels like a great summer scent as it's not too intense and the base really sticks around a while. I'm gonna try to get my male friends to wear this. I think this is a great scent for a guy who wants something a little different.

xmen's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Vintage by John Varvatos

While I don't much care for the original Varvatos, Varvatos Vintage is really something special. It has at its heart a most inviting 'pumpkin spice' note that entices and seduces. I readily surrender. Great sillage and longevity on me. Surely one of the best releases of the last 5 years.

's avatar

Artisan by John Varvatos

Out of the John Varvatos line, this is my least favorite. It smells of orange juice and urine mixed in one. Not a fan, sorry John. I expected much more.