Fragrance Reviews from April 2009

Zgb's avatar

Croatia Croatia

Dior Homme Sport (original) by Christian Dior

Synthetic, fresh, sopay. Sadly it is somewhat cloying. It is not a hopless case, it's just that I'm obviously not that much into it. I'd wear it if someone bought it to me as a gift. Doubtly I'd buy it myself.

classysmell's avatar

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

Definitly an aquatic. Very mossy in the opening, but on the dry down the juniper stands out. This is what would happen if a good woodsy scent collided with a nice mossy aquatic. An enjoyable scent overall.

classysmell's avatar

Emporio Armani Diamonds for Men by Giorgio Armani

Really good smell. A little fruity so if you do not like fruity smells, avoid this frag. Overall a good clean scent.

Hob Dobson's avatar

London by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

A tea rose that isn't a twee rose!

I'm giving London a neutral rating, as I'm not sure that I'd want to wear this by itself very often. Also, I really cannot place what's being used to "darken" the tea rose note. Either I'm anosmic to the additions, or they don't project near as much from the oil base as the rose does.

I have enjoyed layering a small amount of it with other fragrances, like Knize Ten, so it may be bottle-worthy as a way to change things up. London is definitely worth sampling anyway - an imp is inexpensive and some folks may value having it for a reference.

Sporenburg's avatar

Spain Spain

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Got a bottle for my birthday. Went to buy it with my mother (pretty clever move because I was a bit afraid she would accidentally buy Kouros Sport or something). “Ah there it is!” And I watched in terror as she grabbed the tester. “Nooo, she’ll turn into the Great White Devil himself” or at least say something like “what is this piss?” But no, “Mmm, fresh!” I don’t know if I was actually disappointed with that comment (“So Basenotes went off the rails again and Kouros is quite acceptable.”) At home I finally tried it on paper since I already was wearing something else and I have to admit that on paper it is a dead ringer for Paco Rabanne Pour Homme. Another Calandre – Rive Gauche case? On skin it’s a different story, what they do have in common is the soapy blast which in Kouros stays for a long time. Rabanne famously goes into dank green territory, whereas Kouros is more woody-sweet.

Now maybe, Bourdon is a blunt conceptualist and thought: “I’ll make something that smells of piss and the stuff that masks it. Brilliant!” But I don’t buy it (although I love Rex’s theory on why Kouros is so big in Europe and the scent quite successfully does play on opposites, it is for instance both soft and powerful, macho and feminine, dirty and clean.) Besides I’m not familiar with urinal cakes that smell this way (they’re not exactly my area of expertise as they seemingly are for others but the ones I know of are far sharper and pine-like.) There is at times a hint of something animalic but the honey and soap is far stronger to me. Staying power is unparalleled, it truly works all day; sillage in general is something I have a hard time commenting on as most fragrances stay close to me but it is undeniable that it possesses quite some.

Over the years I don’t have any regrets regarding fragrances but one: that I didn’t run into Kouros when I was 20. Another victim of wrong connotations (it always made me think of Greek kitsch or hairy and obnoxious men.) This is indeed a classic that I strangely haven’t smelled on others here in The Netherlands, Home of Mellon Water. I have a premonition it will stay in my wardrobe for quite some time.

Sporenburg's avatar

Spain Spain

YSL pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

As many have noted this has a lovely opening, instant wakefulness at morning. The first time I sprayed it on that citric burst made me very happy with my purchase. But it's followed by an awkward moment of transition in the heart which might be associated with the "old people smell" (although of course it isn't really like that), reminds me a bit of the love/hate opening of Azzaro PH (although that's far richer.) Edgy and the fragrance needs this moment. At first I didn't like the transition at all but there's something about it that is quite fascinating, even horny, maybe a better case of the bathroom-that-can't-be-fully-cleaned than is claimed for Jules, Kouros, etc. and it did grow on me. It probably is a good case of the sickly dandy scent that Naed_Nitram once invoked with Moustache (which makes some of the old YSL pour Homme ads with jubilant Square Jaws celebrating a business deal, "comme un parfum de victoire", extremely funny.)

The drydown as a result of another surprising turn is breezy and pleasurable vetiver ("such beautiful...soap" says the lady after a hug.) Also last longer than I expected at first wear.

The more I use YSL pour Homme the more I regard it as a flawless fragrance. I admire its simplicity, its clear predictability (citric burst...dirty weirdness...cool elegance) that somehow never bores. It is modern yet nostalgic and just plainly turns you into a knowledgeable gentleman: aloof, amiable, witty. Not one for the masses.

16 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 28 May, 2010)

sleuth's avatar

Vinaigre de Toilette by Diptyque

this's really funny and bizarre but not that disgusting
    first kinda strong vineger blended with spices reminded me of some stew thing
    and the drydown turned into very interesting baby powder or talcum powder smell even with a hint of water toilet?
    the conception seems related to Demeter but this is Diptyque
    i can't imagine it XDDDDDDD

sleuth's avatar

Olène by Diptyque

a big bouquet of white flowers, jasmine, narcissus, just pureness
    with last powdery musk ??
    and taking uncommom vine/rattan as the heart top as warm green breeze,
    feminine with plain sweetness
    i have to admit i love it

Mar Azul's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

Seems that your nose has to get used to it. At first spray some might say it resembles a citrusy room fragrance: fresh, well made, but quite cheap. Then it rapidly changes, leaving a powerful musky aura, that I myself wouldn't even consider "green"... Its much much deeper! Really reminds me of those brown Moroccan soaps... You can feel some of this smell in an Arab store. Clean smell, but not in the sense of Procter & Gamble... I would say, it actually bears just a little connection to the Western world.Modern, yet by no means would I it become fashionable, as it's not about clubs, parties or haute couture; it's about open spaces scorched by the sun... or the shadows of the marketplaces. Think "The English Patient" or "The Sheltering Sky".

Mar Azul's avatar

Bulgaria Bulgaria

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

Quite a linear smell. Somehow sexless, rather than unisex. Not for passionate persons, imho... too kind and good-hearted. Lacks something that you would like to appear at some point, like when you've had enough sweets and you'd like something to spice it up.Maybe it's the vanilla which defies all cotradiction possible; it's vanilla for grown-up kids, which still want to see only the bright side. If I should compare it to something else, this would be a feminine fragrance: Ma Dame. Yet, where Ma Dame is seductive, this one is settled, harmless, like lovers already used to each other, knowing each other's sweet spots. I wouldn't imagine this fragrance speaking to a stranger.
    As there's nothing to challenge the sweet - vanilla - caramel positiveness, this fragrance actually works depressing for me. It's nice, creamy, soft, and not inspiring. Tranquility in the romantic way: whispering to the beloved one, candle lights in the summer evenings at home.

deluxe21's avatar

Bigarade by Nina Ricci

hello , I have this perfume , the bottle designer is Lalique !!!!

dmvp29's avatar

Eternity Summer for Men 2009 by Calvin Klein

Smells like flowers. It's not a terrible cologne in that it won't make you say "Wow this smells horrendous," but it's not very good either for two primary reasons

1) The overly floral smell is not very masculine in my opinion

2) The smell makes me feel nauseous for the first half an hour, and then I feel fine again. Why do I feel fine 30 minutes later? Because:

3) The fragrance is only strong initially and attenuates rather heavily soon after.

I am giving this scent a neutral rating, but I would certainly not recommend it.

Fragile by Jean Paul Gaultier

Hideous and confused tuberose in the same vein as Amarige. I haven't actually encountered this on anyone in person, thank God.

L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci

I have heard that the original was great. Whilst I can't vouch for that, this is simply horrendous, cheap and nastly from start to finish.

Chrome by Azzaro

So mind-numbingly dull I nearly died.

Envy for Men by Gucci

Instant classic? Yeah right. An overused term quite apt for this equally trite affair. This has been done a million times before from the start to the cheap drydown. Yawn.......

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

This was a brave one from YSL which didn't quite pay off, probably because dark, smoky aromatic fougeres are so hard to wear, and love. Trying to wear this for a whole day is somewhat of an endurance test. In essence, an acquired taste which I can't be bothered to acquire.

Jasmin 17 by Le Labo

Jasmine? Neroli, more like it! Which makes three neroli/orange blossom fragrances in Le Labo's range. I don't even like the sickly sweet smell of neroli...

Ambrette 9 by Le Labo

I really appreciate the interesting ambrette note in Chanel no 18 - a "grown-up" musky and comforting skin scent - but combined with the sweet, slightly "watery", fruit note of pear in this "baby fragrance" I find it downright sickening. And I don't think babies should be perfumed anyway!

Bergamote 22 by Le Labo

I just love this summery cologne, it's gorgeous! I know some find it too "common" for the price and brand, but in fact I think it's very difficult to find green, citrusy and "natural" scents this good! I hate the aggressive, synthetic-smelling, slightly "musty" aspects of grapefruit, the freshly-squeezed-lemon opening of most citrus fragrances including the famous Eau d'Hardien rarely last more than two minutes before they turn to stale washing-up liquid, The Different Company's Bergamote is quite lovely but very, very soapy/powdery, Frederic Malle's Cologne Bigarade is nice but so warm and spicy it's Christmasy rather than summery... Bergamote 22 is just perfect: lovely, fresh bergamote on a leafy green/woody/cedary base reminding me of my other favourite, Miller et Bertaux' Green green green and green. It's more transparent, light and citrusy than the M&B scent, has a little less of that grassy/woody sweetness, which makes it even better as a refreshing cologne for hot days. It is quite fleeting though, I admit...

Oud 27 by Le Labo

A very rubbery, leathery, tarry, dry, butch oud, reminding me of old, cracked leather and tarred wood collecting dust in a shed for years since it last saw water. I love it!

tvlampboy's avatar

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

An odd but beautiful Oriental from Guerlain, strong in powdery amber and strong carnation. In many ways, this frag seems to be a fusion of three or four different scents, from Mitsouko (the smokiiness and slight "dirtiness") to Bellodgia (it's the rich clove/carnation thing) to Shalimar (that's the vanilla-heavy Guerlain base I notice) to Royal Scottish Lavender (the powdery/"perfuminess" of it all).

Very dated and yet very cutting edge at the same time. Lovely dry-down that lasts for an easy 12 hours, especially from the Parfum de Toilette formulation.

At the price, though (I pd. $90.00 plus shipping for my bottle of Parfum de Toilette), do try before you buy, as this Guerlain classic is not for everyone.

Chantilly by Dana

I don't pull it out of my drawer much, but I do like it. I read somewhere that there is leather and orange in it which suits me since I like both! Bought this bottle on E-bay 2 yrs ago and it was a very good buy. I like it because it smells dated.

I think many perfumes we remember as a youngster or young person and don't even realize it. Our brains remember scents! Chantilly is one of them that I smelled on others out in public in years gone by more than I know.

Blue Grass by Elizabeth Arden

I did love blue Grass a few yrs ago, but one winter I had a respiratory infection and wore perfume a little too soon, yes, it was this one. I couldn't wear it again. Was at a college orientation in january and all the people in the room... me being sick... Blue grass perfume permeating my breathing space.... just couldn't wear it again although it was a pretty scent.

Metalys / Metallica by Guerlain

I was right, there is carnation in there. Someone sent this along with something else I won on E-bay. It was a pleasant surprise, but I don't know if I'm sampling the EDT or EDP? If that is vanilla in there, it is a real different vanilla from what I am used to in Shalimar. This vanilla is oh so light.

I feel pretty and feminine in this scent! Must be the orange that I like so well.

Fig Tea by Nicolaï

I just plain loved this fig smell. It's something for an every day perfume.

Miracle So Magic! by Lancôme

Narcissus is what I remember of this . I have it although I don't pull it out much anymore. I enjoy wearing it in January and February specifically for the narcissus clear note I get after a while which is so wonderful in the dead of February. Sometimes it's a little sweet for me. I bought this for only 14.00 at a discount store and had not previously tested it. It was a good buy all around.

Cuir Pleine Fleur / Fine Leather by Heeley

I have a sweater with a fur collar and whenever I put some Cuir Pleine Fleur on, I was wearing that sweater with the fake fur collar. They went well together. This grew on me and when the sample was used up, I decided I could possible own a bottle someday!
    I smelled a lot of birch and some leather but my nose isn't good enough to detect anything else in it.

Andrewthecologneguy's avatar

Nigeria Nigeria

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

I do not like this. In fact I detest it. Why Guerlain would you soil your lofty name with this terrible concoction? What sort of man did you have in mind? If this is some sort of exercise in modern man, this falls short. Mint has been done exceptionally well by others, Sander by Jil Sander for one, and the mojito? Tommy Bahama Very Cool and Set Sail South Seas do very well (though terrible as well) to provide more mojito than you have. And exactly how do you combine mojito with powdery stuffiness? Terrible.

17 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 06 April, 2010)

maxtoo's avatar

Eau de Rochas by Rochas

I absolutely love this stuff! I splash it on right
    after a shower while my skin is still slightly damp. It's perfect for summer.
    The problem now is finding it in any large quantity.
    I had the 14 ounce bottle but that is almost gone.
    Where can I buy the Larger sizes?. Even the
    3.4 ounce size seems to have vanished!