Fragrance Reviews from April 2009

distortech's avatar

Salvatore Ferragamo pour Homme by Salvatore Ferragamo

An interesting disappointment this one this is. I agree with the others that the initial top notes are extraordinary and very interesting - dare I say unique. However, the dull and lackluster base of cedar is very taxing on the nerves and do mean taxing. I, for one, got sick of the base very, VERY quickly. I doubt I will wear this very often. It is most definitely an every once in awhile scent.

distortech's avatar

Armani Privé Eau de Jade by Giorgio Armani

Lovely, absolutely lovely. The mingling of the floral notes with the pepper is attractive and enchanting all the way down to the very light and boozy base. Outstanding longevity and wonderful diffusion.

Highly recommended.

TaraYvonne's avatar

Beyond Love by By Kilian

I find this to be funkier than Carnal Flower. A sort of cross between Fracas and Carnal Flower with an in your face green spunky smell that makes it a little over the top for me. I prefer the buttery yum tuberose in Carnal Flower decidedly over this one. But I think many people would appreciate this as it is very pretty none-the-less. Because of the funky green note I think a man could wear this better than many other versions of tuberose. Very unisex. The dry down suited me better because it calmed down. I agree that you can tell this is well-made, quality stuff. It really does last. Overall a very nice scent.

TaraYvonne's avatar

Absinth by Nasomatto

I agree with hypnotic, tart apple dipped in caramel, creamy and perfect for cool weather. This is a hard hitter at first, potent stuff. I have a hard time associating this with absinthe at all. From the way it's described this seems nothing like absinthe. Polar opposite to L'Artisan's version-the two couldn't be farther apart. This is warm, rustic and earthy. L'Artisan's was crisp and cool, a walk through the pines. If you want this to last longer apply to your clothing. I really like it, actually. I think it's very unisex if you can handle a certain amount of sweetness. It's an interesting scent, I agree it's the smell of Fall harvest. I get no mint at all. The only thing that counts against it is that I think Absinth is the wrong name for it, it's misleading.

Rakhee's avatar

Patchouli Leaves by Montale

Like eating dark chocolate with your lover under a tree after it has rained.

Rakhee's avatar

Blue Amber by Montale

Powdery, vanillic opening, with a rubber that manifests as an artificial sweetness - like a warm, heavily iced lemon and raisin bun; grows a little drier and saltier - an uncomplicated but rich amber.

SirSlarty's avatar

Joop! Go Electric Heat by Joop!

Honestly not bad, not bad at all. While I didn't quite like the original Go (thumbs down but wasn't wretched), Electric Heat makes Go a little more tolerable. From the press release the notes are: lavender, limette, mint, violet, saffron and cedar. It's very sweet and fruity in the opening, middle fades into a sweet wood which I attribute as Joop!'s house note and the drydown is a simple cedarwood. Cedarwood (or whatever aromachemical they use) accords really seem to love my skin. They come out really well and turns a sweet wood into a spicy and sweet wood. The sweetness is exemplified due to the already sweet and fruity top. And I like it this way.

Sweet but light but also woody, Go Electric Heat is what I'd call "trashy fun". It's not linear as described above because it goes through distinctive phases: fruity -> sweet stuff -> spicy woods. Graphics on the bottle are silly.

Myspunge's avatar

England England

Manoumalia by LesNez

at the very first, there's a wave of cool sharpness, not quite citric (Tom on perfumesmellinthings says it’s vetiver but it has nooo sparkle) and then immediately a swirl of kerosene and almonds, saffron, semolina, which soon turns waxy, wax of the tropical flower variety. It is a tuberose-like presence but not so near the edge of the offensive, and it’s listed by LesNez as fagraea, though the fatty backing of tiare is also noticeable. For a while, it dallies backwards and forwards between menthol/rancid (spent safety matches) and a great cushion of ethereal cream (fumes of Strega on the pillow). Eventually it relapses into amber with a backbone, a pleasingly odd leather sundae (the perfumer notes that a leathery drydown is highly thought of by the natives whose culture of scent inspired her). “notes of fagraea, tiare, ylang ylang, sandalwood dust, vetiver and amber”.

BlackCat's avatar

Twilight - The Lovely Collection by Sarah Jessica Parker

As a fan of the original Lovely and of jasmine, I thought I'd keep an open mind on this. Sadly, Twilight is one of the more dull fragrances I've tried in a while. It was hard to sort out any notes in the top and middle, although I do get some amber and sandalwood in the base. Simple, somewhat linear, simple, and ultimately a snoozefest. On the other hand, I suppose it could have been worse.

Zhara8's avatar

Oropuro by Laura Tonatto

Musk, Amber AND Civet all in one? How naughty! Well, not really - the Bergamont is a strong scrubbing presence throughout this racy number, and the whole mix has a unisex appeal and a refreshing summer and spring zing that makes it right for multiple locations, even in the office (use a light touch). Wrist-sniffing addiction is a certainty; I can close my eyes and channel a tuxedo-clad Marlene Dietrich in this one.

As with other concoctions by the famed Nose, this Laura Tonatto fragrance has a wonderful rounded softness in the background that speaks of cashmere and trust funds. Even if the civet is synthetic, it and the vanilla do a good job at presenting themselves most naturally. This soft, barely-there vanilla joins the rich comforting amber for a quiet, ethereal background that makes Oropuro a true cut above. Just lovely, redolent with old-time glamour, and disarmingly racy.

17 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 28 October, 2009)

Pollux's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Catalyst for Men by Halston

Tried it from an old bottle; it has not been imported in the last ten years. Thus, my opinions must be taken with caution.

In my case, the "spicey" description most reviewers mention was limited to a very marked bergamot note that reminded me of Calvin Klein's Eternity, thus I am tempted to say that it might be Halston's version of Calvin Klein's classic 1990's scent.

It might be a good choice if you are fond of a spicy bergamot notes.

Pollux's avatar

Argentina Argentina

Heno de Pravia by Gal

A classic, inexpensive Spanish eau de cologne easily available in its country if origin as well as in many Latin American countries, made by Gal, a subsidary of Antonio Puig. The line is complemented with a stronger eau de cologne, soap, deodorant and talcum powder.

I am resorting to notes I know of and I can easily perceive.

Initial notes are hesperidic-like, their main characteristic being that they are kind of sparkling. As it develops, it settles down to notes similar to the ones found in woody scents, later changing to a mixture of green -amberine notes.

As in all eaux de colognes, longevity and sillage are limited, but sometimes - I can not recall when or why, if it is because of weather conditions, accidental layering or foods eaten - I feel a very unique beeswax drydown lasting a very acceptable time.

Edit, Aug. 2009: the "stronger eau de cologne" is not sold anymore, it has been replaced by a flanker named "Agua de Pravia 1905",

In the original article I wrote in the second paragraph:

"In Spanish, "heno" means fern, "fougere" in French In Spanish, so I wonder if this is what the original fougere smelt like. Since I can't tell if this is so,".

The translation of the word "heno" was wrong since "heno" means "hay", so I decide to cut out this passage.

Thank you fellow BNoter for letting me aware of this mistake!

17 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 23 August, 2009)

Noa by Cacharel

Noa is very subtle and hard to describe when you first spray it on. After Noa settles on my skin, it is a soft floral with a powdery base. Noa is sheer, fresh, and clean. It has a feminine quality to it, and it smells soooooooo good. IMO, Noa is elegant and posesses a unique quality that makes it special. The soft delicate scent of Noa has amazing sillage. Very light, crisp, and airy. I have received many compliments with Noa...It captivates the attention of others even when I can't smell it anymore....definately a fragrance worth trying.

FCUK Her by French Connection

The only reason I purchased this fragrance was out of curiousity. I wondered what it smelled because of the name. When I look at the bottle, I find it heavy and plain and the name is somewhat offensive "Fcuk Her" (Your mind fills in and adjusts for misspelled words)....but back to the fragrance...I found a great deal on a 3.4 oz NIB (under $20.00 Free Shipping) on eBay. I am so glad I purchased it. I absoutely LOVE this scent even though I don't like the name at all. I think it is one of the best smelling fragrances I own. Very clean, very sexy, and very distinctive. Light but longlasting, seductive and sparkling. I choose this perfume quite often and with the price....you can't go wrong. Because of the W-O-N-D-E-R-F-U-L notes in this fragrance, there will always be a place for Fcuk Her in my wardrobe. I am always complemented on this fragrance when I wear it. I would give it more than 5 stars + based on the scent.

Bright Crystal by Versace

The huge crystal stopper that looks like a diamond and the pink liquid inside the bottle caught my eye...I just had to try it...and then I purchased a FB. The bottle is so adorable, and yes I am a sucker for perfume bottles as much as I am perfume =). I like this scent but I like the bottle even better. Bright Crystal is a lovely, uplifting fruity/ floral. The staying power is o.k. (2-3 hours) I wish it lasted longer. It is innofensive and just smells wonderful on my skin. Very feminine, girly scent that I would wear for any occasion. Bright Crystal is a keeper for me.

Princess by Vera Wang

I bought this for the pretty heart shaped bottle although I could live without the ring topper. The scent somewhat surprised me as I find it wearable. I thought it was going to be too girly or overly sweet but IMO it is not. Princess has a sweetness to it but it is mild. Although there is warm quality in the fragrance I find the notes to be a bit dull. There is a girly quality to it. It is wearable....just not for me. I won't repurchase this one but I will keep the bottle.

Nautica Bermuda Blue by Nautica

Bermuda Blue is a nice summer scent that reminds me of the beach. It doesn't last very long on my skin (about an hour or two). It is a light, clean floral but has a slight warmthness to it. Bermuda Blue is somewhat ordinary and plain to me...It doesn't have that 'wow' factor but it is very wearable. A casual fragrance that can be worn with jeans and a t-shirt. Perfect for a day on the beach, or when you want a 'play it safe' fragrance. Although it is wearable, it is a bit oridnary for me...I probably wouldn't repurchase this one once it is finished.

xmen's avatar

Singapore Singapore

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

A patchouli-heavy gentleman scent of yesterday. I don't think it has aged well. Not particularly likable on my skin or suitable for a hot country like mine. At least the vintage juice is much potent than the washed-out dilution that is the modern version.

Utkuak's avatar

Finland Finland

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

Acqua di Parma's products introduced me to fragrances that contain a large amount of natural ingredients, and I've since come to love pretty much all of their products. Colonia is a true classic and one of my current favorites. It's also the oldest product in Acqua di Parma's product range and in my opinion Colonia contains both masculine and feminine aspects making it a unisex scent. All the ingredients seem to be of very high quality and this truly feels like a luxury product.

Colonia starts with a superb citrus note which smells almost like it has some sugar in it to give it some sweetness without taking away too much of the sharpness a credible citrus should have. Within the next 15 minutes or so the floral middle notes start to become more present and the sweet citrus slowly fades away. For a while they are both equally present and work very well together. Once the floral notes take the center stage, they don't remind me of the numerous women's florals that can often be very strong and too sweet. Colonia's middle notes are very soft and tender without being too feminine or weak. The scent then slowly dries down to the warm and comforting base notes which smell like a combination to musk and woody notes to my nose.

This fragrance is one of the best examples of a fluent progression from the top notes down to the base notes that I've encountered so far. The base notes are reached after 30 minutes and both the development from top to middle and from middle to base can easily be observed. Because this is an eau de cologne, the lifetime of this scent isn't that great. On my skin Colonia typically last about two hours, but sometimes longer than that. When you first apply this on your skin, it can smell really strong for the first minute or so, but this quickly settles down to a comfortable level. The spray mechanism is awesome and it gives you a lot of mist with just one spray so two or three sprays should be enough for most people. Over applying Colonia will give you way too much citrus, so please use this sparingly. I would recommend that you apply this once, wait for a couple of hours and then reapply for best results, if you want to smell like Colonia thoughout the day.

Acqua di Parma's products don't seem to cost that much more than most designer house fragrances so I claim them to have a very good value for money when you consider that the scent, bottle, spray mechanism, cap and packaging are all top notch. Colonia Assoluta is a great alternative for Colonia, so you should try both on your skin before buying either one. Don't try these on paper because they'll just smell like lemon. On your skin both show how well blended and classy they are.

charger's avatar

Canali Men by Canali

I really like the different scents in this one. The citrus top notes give a refreshing burst when first sprayed on. The vetiver and leather really come through for a really nice, masculin scent.

sliver1's avatar

Angel by Thierry Mugler

Having changed my signature fragrance last November from Antaeus to A*Men (I was with Antaeus for eighteen years and it'll always have a place in my heart) I decided to try the feminine Angel; a 15ml bottle arrived at my door yesterday. I was so excited! I sprayed it three times on the neck, one on each wrist and left my house..!
    I remember Angel from 10 years ago when an ex-boyfriend (quite a masculine gay guy) wore it. I loved it on him (but can't recall smelling it since) so I did have a kind of 'sense memory' of it.
    Sources differ as to whether floral notes are included in Angel. For me, when first applied, it smells extremely floral - like a fragrance your Great-Great-Grandmother might have worn! I was horrified, but as with A*Men, Angel is deceptive! The flowery smell fades quickly and the true thrust of the middle notes surface with a vengeance! Angel Women has as many clashing notes as A*Men but smells much simpler - it's similar but gentler and less complicated - and whereas I can tell what each of the notes are in A*Men, I cannot with Angel - it's a sweet, candy floss smell with muscle.
    Angel might smell gentle but it's STRONG! (Is that an oxymoron?!) Try and it and you'll see what I mean. If you're one of those people who like to smell their own perfume all day (as well as inflicting it on everyone else around you) like me then Angel's for you.
    Angel is not a unisex fragrance but men CAN get away with it - if they're playful and confident (also like me!)! But then I like perfume on men anyway and don't differentiate between male and female fragrances on myself or anyone else. I wear what I like. The majority of male fragrances on the market smell like one thing - LEMONS - which gets a little dull, as I've written elsewhere.
    A beloved work colleague HATES A*Men with a passion, calling it 'fausty' (such a cool word) and literally recoiling and becoming instantly naseous when I first get into work. When she arrived at work yesterday (pre-warned that I would be trying Angel which was allegedly even more powerful) her first, strong reaction was 'It's not as bad as the other one but it's still HORRIBLE!' However, as the shift went on she commented that if I used a lot-less it might actually smell 'quite pleasent' and that 'a gentle whiff' of Angel as I pass might be 'quite nice'. All I needed to hear. Bless her heart!
    Angel won't be replacing A*Men as my signature (to my beloved work colleague I can only offer my apologies) but it DID make me feel sexy and confident and happy. Allegedly, teenagers like this fragrance! Hmmm! For me, both Angel and it's male counterpart are ADULT fragrances - used to bewitch, mesmerise and lure! That's what I'll be using them for anyway! Have fun!

Aimee0517's avatar

Chocolovers by Aquolina

I really wanted to like this perfume, however I think it smells very cheap and synthetic. All I get from it is a weird orange chocolate smell that isn't appealing in the least...actually I find it nauseating and repulsive. It must not work with my body chemistry, because if it smelled this way on everyone it still wouldn't be around (at least I would hope not). Do not waste your $ on this.

marioslg's avatar

Cyprus Cyprus

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

Definetely for the winter, this strong male perfume is not for very young people especially like the one of it's reklama.
    nice but strange, masculine, but not one of may favourities.

Black by Kenneth Cole

A day in high school just sitting at a desk working. And not straying either, actually working on either biology or chemistry. Just working to make sure you do not have any homework and really just wanting to go outside.

Brit for Men by Burberry

A bath is already drawn. A gorgeous woman bathes herself. She is not doing it for her however. She bathes for someone else. A man watches her, and she watches him while he watches. A single candle is lit, but its light is reflecting from a mirror, making her look as if she glows. The water is extremely soft and is cooling down.

Extremely sensual smell here.

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

Early AM, light finally breaking the whole skyline, and it breaks in a white/grey fullness, a man sets out on a morning routine. He is in a one man boat, slowly rowing through the middle of a wide stream. The cold wind blows, very gently, and not making a sound. The only noise heard, is the entering and exiting of his paddles in the water. It is very clear, again, not a blue sky, but a dull morning white. Snow covered mountains are seen in the far distance, and all around the trees are crested with snow, and the edges of the creek are holding the weight of snow as well. He stops paddling. Looks around to take in the water that surrounds his boat. He lays back and takes a deep breath of the cold air.

DKNY Be Delicious Men by Donna Karan

Under a blanket, two kids, 13-14, have made a secret plan to be together. One young boy, one sweet girl. They play under a blanket, the parents are gone. The frame of mind is exactly the age they are. They touch in play, laughing while they wrestle. The feeling to each is unknown, but it is the blooming of innocent sexuality. It is the feeling that makes the boy look at her and say "I like her she should be my girlfriend." Its the feeling that makes her see him and say "He's cute. He should be my boyfriend." The laughter is freedom, it is louder, more free. Certainly not contained. It relieves the unknown tension they both share.

Emporio Armani Diamonds for Men by Giorgio Armani

It is a very late evening, cool air, a slight wind blowing. A man is at a party, a very high class party. A live band plays outside, playing soft music. Everyone is dressed very nicely, and stand around a pool, which is set in marble. The must is barely audible, sort of surreal, women laughing to themselves is barely heard over the bubbling of the hot tub they sit in. They drink. Everyone drinks, and has been all evening, but no one is drunk. The only effect is the warm glow everyone has. The girls watch the men from the jacuzzi, talking amongst each other. A man conversates with another gentleman in a dimly lit corner of the party. He is mysterious, and though he talks casually to this man, he recalls having the lady of the house just moments before. He recalls both of them, hurriedly sneaking away, no one seeing either. He recalls them having each other, quickly, queitly, darkly. He remembers reentering the party, unashamed.

Monsieur Alex's avatar

Eau France by Molinard

Light, refreshing scent suitable for men and women. Reminds me of my summer holidays in Provence and the lemon trees of Menton on the Franco-Italian border. Doesn't last forever but it is an eau de cologne after all. O-o-h-la-la. Vive Molinard!

JessicaGrace's avatar

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

Ugh. I know what the previous reviewer meant by calling the pear "stale." Even more bothersome to me is a tangy Now & Later note that I'm guessing is the "apple martini." On me, this sour/stale accord completely drowns out anything else. All the other notes are just a vague fluffiness down at the bottom. Silage and lasting are phenomenal. Unfortunately for me, since I just can't wait to get this stuff off.