Fragrance Reviews from April 2009

Skib's avatar

Sous Le Vent by Guerlain

I'm just a beginner and my nose isn't very articulate as yet but I absolutely adore this perfume. It's the vintage perfume I have. It's rationed for special occasions.

212 Men by Carolina Herrera

SEXY SMELLIN AND VERY LONG LASTING GOOD POWER GREAT FOR ANYWHERE

Activist by Body Shop

really love it smell so great after 1st spary

360 Degrees Red for Men by Perry Ellis

when i 1st own red 360 i really fell in love wid it hehe and it just smelll like adg in everyone opion and i really like it alot it gone to my top 1 perfume! i high recommed for anyone who want adg but want long lastin n super fressness

Essential by Lacoste

FRESH CLEAN SMELL! LOVE IT SO MUCH 1 OF THE BEST OF LACOSTE HAS DONE IT!

Usher for Men by Usher

GREAT SMELL VERY NICE FOR ANYONE

JGbeader's avatar

New Zealand New Zealand

24, Faubourg by Hermès

Pure comfort. Warm, honeyed orange-blossom with a little cream and spice. Good for when I feel the need of The Mother's loving presence round me. A quality, classic perfume.

chrised's avatar

Himalaya by Creed

Ouch! A strange hissy, metallic element lies beneath this generic masculine. The perfume equivelant of chewing tin foil. Interesting packaging, but that's about the only positive to glean from the consistently dissapointing house of Creed.

MJW77's avatar

Antaeus by Chanel

I only recently got into this fragrance and I have have to say I love it! For some reason I never paid much much attention to it, but being a fan of Pour Monsieur concentree I thought I would give it a go, and I'm glad I did!

It truly is a powerhouse and a real man's smell - deep, seductive and powerful. This is for 25+ men as far as I'm concerned, and a bit of stubble really compliments it! If you don't yet shave leave well alone.

This is a classic male fragrance.

MJW77's avatar

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I have say I'm surprised by the negative reviews of this fragrance. I have just purchased a bottle after testing on card and then on my wrist. I had quite a few samples on cards and this one smelt best. It smelt very clean and fresh and a good day/office scent which I was looking for. However, when I tried it on my wrist, the scent actually developed into a much richer and warmer scent and I couldn't stop smelling it on myself. I guess, like most fragrances, it depends on each person and how it reacts with you own skin, but I really liked this fragrance and I know I will get compliments wearing it! Yes, it is safe and in no way groundbreaking, but the bottom line is that it smells great - on me anyway... everyone is different.

I also noticed that it has won the best fragrance 2008 in the FHM grooming awards, which is a shame really because it may end up becoming too common.

spanish fly's avatar

India India

28 La Pausa by Chanel

gorgeous ! breathtaking , fleeting . one of the best of the exclusifs . i wish the longevity was better . if you like iris you will love this

mandarinita's avatar

Jessica McClintock by Jessica McClintock

My mother loves this perfume, but everytime I smell it it gives me a headache, I think it has a too strong flowery scent. It is quite nauseating

le male's avatar

Russian Federation Russian Federation

Carthusia Uomo by Carthusia

the present... for men. does not yield to to description, simply complements your EGO

mystic75's avatar

Satan Instinct by Un Monde Nouveau

This smells amazing, I wish I could find something close to this scent.

Eau du Ciel by Annick Goutal

The linden and rosewood form a beautifully complementary accord in the opening of Eau de Ciel. Rosewood (one of my favorite notes but a note that seems tricky to use) is used very nicely in this fragrance. Then the violet comes in and it is strong enough to annoy me, but not so strong that I can’t tell the excellent development that is going on under that annoyance. This is not a violet fragrance: It is a delicately mixed floral with a firm hay note that provides a neutral base to the florals. It is unusual and I appreciate its uniqueness. Besides the violet, I can determine the iris, the neroli, and the orange blossom that, with the hay note and, later, the beeswax, form a light, ethereal and feminine floral. I don’t determine a separate progressed drydown: The florals and hay and barest touch of beeswax remain to the end, staying light and airy. Typical of Annick Goutal fragrances, it doesn’t last very long as a sillage maker, but it stays close to the skin and is quite long lasting that way. I enjoy the quirkiness of Annick Goutal's fragrances, and Eau de Ciel continues the tradition: Even with the violet note, it's a thumbs up fragrance.

Thé Vert by Roger & Gallet

Another green tea scent - Roger & Gallet’s Eau de The Vert presents an excellent clean, bright version – about as pristine as a green tea scent as I’ve found in the classic version of it. It opens with that bright but sour citrus note that I always appreciate: The middle adds some green notes to the green tea note and this provides a good longevity considering the type of scent it is. Then there is a warm cedar and guaic wood drydown – a little reticent in projection but boasting acceptable lasting power for an eau. Eau de The Vert is as natural and clean as the other Roger & Gallet colognes, and is a good choice for a green tea fragrance. Personally I prefer Bulgari’s Cologne Au Thé Vert, but I enjoy this one very much.

Aventure by Il Profumo

Unique because of its thinness: Adventure is light, airy, spicy / citrus in a simple sort of way. There’s certainly not much substance to the fragrance and its aroma isn’t even what I would call interesting except for lack of tangibility. It’s just an unusual spicy / airy accord, but it certainly reminded me of something. Not knowing what “carambola” was, I wikipediaed it, and I found out: The carambola is the star fruit that I have been eating and loving ever since I arrived in Taiwan. I’ve always enjoyed it because of its looks and taste: When sliced, each slice looks like a perfect, greenish-yellow five-pointed star. What I like about the taste is that it is refreshing without being cloying or heavy. Its aroma is like its taste: it doesn’t resemble anything else that I know of, simply some semi-sweet refreshing fruity thing. In the opening of the fragrance what I get most are the aromatics of the absinthe and the light, almost vegetal sweetness of the star fruit. I get a bit of lemon and something that reminds me of anise. I think the anise smell can be accounted for by the lavender / amber combination. That’s it… that’s all I get the total run of the fragrance. I don’t get any jasmine, incense, or leather, but the scent is so thin that I’m surprised that I get any identifiable notes at all. It has limited sillage but decent longevity considering how light it is. Adventure is a nice little light fragrance but it lacks character and is much too expensive for what it delivers.

Café Vert by Il Profumo

Café Vert is a light, soft, laid-back fragrance that has reduced sillage and projection. I get the “green coffee” note, and, while it is a unique and pleasant note, it falls a little short of being more impressive than most green notes… it is “green-coffee” which might as well be defined as a soft green note married to a soft coffee note. The green coffee is noticeable in the opening and then more or less quickly gives way to a citrus / floral heart of grapefruit and jasmine. I also can identify a geranium note but not a rose note in the middle. This heart citrus / floral is as pleasant an accord as the opening. It is clean and embracing as it quietly performs its well-balanced and refined duties. Where the fragrance lets me down is with the white musk with a sweet citrus drydown – it is entirely unexciting and a bit less masculine than I like in the base. In all this is a pleasant fragrance, but its inspiration seems to have been a little forced and its carry-through is lacking. The fragrance as a whole has below average sillage (which is not a problem if that is what you want) and barely adequate longevity, but its clarity and its pure notes could make it an excellent fragrance for someone seeking a pleasingly gentle, effortless fragrance with a tiny bit of pleasant uniqueness. I’m voting a neutral but it could very well be a thumbs up for the right person.

Touaregh by Il Profumo

Fascinating… Dramatic… A spicy treat with florals, palmarosa, and a touch almond gourmand that captures something not often offered in fragrances: An aromatic elixir making gorgeous use of palmarosa, nutmeg, cinnamon, and bay. I love the spices and I particularly love the palmarosa, but Touaregh seems to be a one accord wonder. It loses its sillage and strength so quickly, and with the loss of its strength, it loses much of its identity - its attractiveness. It does manage to last as a close-to-the-skin scent for two or three hours, but that is merely anticlimax - disappointment. Touaregh’s drydown has settled down to a transparent and too light vetiver, palmarosa, and cinnamon accord. It was fascinating and dramatic at first, but then just too quiet and short lasting…

Patchouly Noir by Il Profumo

Dark and dreadful. Now, I’m not a huge fan of patchouli dominant fragrances, but I certainly don’t dislike them… as a matter of fact, I actually enjoy these dark and dreadful patchouli constructions for an hour or two… then they get old and I get bored. I would say that this is one of the deepest, darkest, most dreadful patchouli I’ve encountered. Il Profumo’s Patchouli Noir can stand eye to eye with, or even lord it over, all those other dark, brooding patchoulis… for a while, at least. Like most of the other potent patchoulis, Patchouli Noir puts on a fierce growl at first, and then measuredly loses its Serengeti roar to become the purr of a housecat. Patchouli Noir doesn’t have much of a sillage and is only a bit short on longevity as a sillage maker, but it becomes a superb skin scent. There’s a strong cedarwood note intermingled with the patchouli, and there’s exactly the right amount of vanilla to smooth and enrich without sweetening too much. Patchouli Noir is a keeper.

nunezm58's avatar

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

This fragrance is an absolute "musc" in any well-heeled fragrance fan. Will be soon available in the US (Fall 2009) under the regular Serge Lutens label, available in selected stores.

tvlampboy's avatar

Curve Kicks for Men by Liz Claiborne

Acerbic and grating mint bomb that dries down into generic, semi-musky, somewhat woody nothingness.

This churned out bilge is Insense Aquamarine with less charm. (And Insense Aquamarine didn't have much charm to begin with.)

bonzo's avatar

Germany Germany

Marbert Man by Marbert

aromatic scent of the 70ties.it is comparable to drakkar noir, gainsboro, brut by faberge´etc.To me it smells dated and it is an old men´s scent.A simple, average perfume-nothing outstanding or special but surely this was not the intention when they launched this scent.Marbert man fulfills the expectations of a man´s scent of the seventies-aromatic,good flavour,very 70ties masculine.definitely not bad.

bonzo's avatar

Germany Germany

Baldessarini Strictly Private by Baldessarini

the scent has a fresh(green) and crispy opening and the drydown has a warm aromatic and woody note.It lasts quite long and it develops a nice smell-not less not more.This scent starts with basil and bergamot, and mixes up with pepper.patchouli and roses are the dominating middle notes-the vetiver i did not smell....The Base is creme brule-lots of amber and vanilla.Not bad but again nothing exciting,unique or special.it´s ok but if it would disappear you wouldn´t miss it-the name is a shame -strictly private-what are we going to expect?what is going to happen?-and the black bottle with the golden badge-cheap- this is nouveau riche!There are absolutely better aromatic oriental scents than this one!

memories's avatar

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon by Comme des Garçons

Fabulous incense and so much cheaper than Armani Privee's version.

Dimitrios's avatar

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Well , after 4 months & about 10 full wearings im qualified to leave my long overdue review on this one ...
    Its a classic !! ***** FIVE STARS *****
    Rich spicy amber , incredible sillage & very very long wearing . It is the strongest frag I use .
    Disregard the comments left by that moron , 4 reviews down the page , he was high on his own aura !

distortech's avatar

Kouros Cologne Sport by Yves Saint Laurent

I can not really think of way to describe this much other than pseudo - comparative analogy. So here we go . . .

KCS :The bottle and the juice are both; gorgeous, svelte, gallant, fashionable, masculine, sexy, dynamic and contributive to the conventionalized styling of the manly form.

Kouros: The bottle and the juice are both; handsome, muscular, boisterous, chic, virile, lusty, strong and conducive to the recognized styling of the manly form.

Heck, the way I see it, this flanker is a true testament to the shift in thinking on just exactly what is for a man to be manly, sexy, etc. over the past couple decades, not to mention centuries. Just as in art, the depiction of the manly form has changed throughout history reflecting social norms, etc... Therefore, the Kouros man is constantly changing along with society, yet still, oddly, he will always remains the same because, despite the differences, there is always a similarity. What a fascinating concept to bring to fragrance!! BRILLIANT! YSL certainly has a brilliant marketing tool just by using the moniker Kouros alone.

A huge thumbs up for this one. Well done, anyway I look at it.

18th April, 2009 (Last Edited: 16th May, 2009)

lion_dancer's avatar

Angel by Thierry Mugler

I've always been put off of this scent because of its initial opening... soemthing about the citrus/alcohol mix makes me want to run screaming for the showers. However today when the perfume counter did not have the fragrance I initially went in for, I tried this. Again the first impression had me wriggling my nose and waving my arm to try to dry it down... but once it did... WOW!!!!!!!! Everything I had ever hoped to have in a perfume. The only thing that could make this scent more perfect, is if it had dry rose note somewhere in the Top. I bought the small tester bottle of it, just to make sure I don't end up scrubbing it off later... but right now I'm 2 hours in and completely in Love <3<3

I will be putting this on my wish list ( and birthday list) for sure!!

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

I've been smelling the sample for awhile now, with mixed emotions. However, now that I've tried wearing it for a full day I must say that I'm pleasantly surprised. Skin will absorb this quickly, but when applied to the warmer parts of clothing, this will last all day. Also, it takes awhile for it to settle properly, but when it does, the fruity tea goodness takes over.

I would definitely classify this as a summer scent. After it dries the smell becomes very muted. BUT, as your body temperature rises the smell comes back and it really gives off subtle but noticeable sillage. I've noticed that most people here seem to literally classify the smell as "Silver Mountain Water," but that is absolutely a psychosomatic reaction. If anything I would say this smells "purple."

I may have to buy a bottle, but I want to give MI a serious wearing before I make any decisions. The two are similar and buying both would be silly.

Sunsetspawn's avatar

Voyage by Nautica

A monumentally boring fresh scent that is sure not to offend anyone. It's green and clean and best suited for summer.