Fragrance Reviews from April 2009

TaraYvonne's avatar
    TaraYvonne

Courtesan by Worth

Red Berries, very tart. Sweet juicy pineapple. Just enough tang to make it quirky, and yes I smell the pungent sea salt note. I won't lie, it is fruity. It reminds me of teenagers on a beach: Musky BO, fruit body spray, sea water brine. Kids that went swimming, dried off on the beach, got a little sweaty after some time in the sun and then tried to hide it with fruit-scented body spray. As unpleasant as that sounds, it really isn't. It brings to mind mixed drinks while watching the sun go down on the beach. Others have said that this couldn't be for summer. I think it IS summer in a bottle (instead of the usual pineapple/coconut-laced beach scent, they used raspberries/pineapple), and therefore perfectly fine for summer nights. Maybe not for the heat of the day, but great for night. Test it if you get the chance and decide for yourself. I won't buy this, but I did think it was pleasant enough.

drback's avatar
    drback

Artisan by John Varvatos

Great basket-weave bottle and nice summer scent. Orange blossom fragrance with masculine twist. Lite scent with poor staying-power.

Perceive by Avon

Fresh, HEAVY white florals and lemon accords which combined can give off a terrible aroma of the janitor's closet. This would work rather nicely if it was in EdT conc but as an EdP, it's too much.

Gerani pour Homme by Gerani

Italian spices with a woody bitter tonka bean drydown. Very floral at times but studded with light Italian spices. Very nice. Very hard to find.

Acqua d'Estate Essenza by Ermenegildo Zegna

Definintely lighter than the original Essenza di Zegna. But of course there's more than a few versions. I have the 2006 and 2008 versions and they are essentially the same. A "steam clean" style of scent like Mugler Cologne or Paul Smith Story. It's more lemony and fizzier than Mugler Cologne. A good scent for the hot temperatures.

Shanghai Butterfly by Nanette Lepore

Oh man... this is just D & G Light Blue but with no character or personality whatsoever.

Armani Privé Cuir Améthyste by Giorgio Armani

Violet and leather really, really get to those who can't stand them. Here, it gets to me a little. But I can see the appeal. A nicely made leather scent that's sweet. And there's a rose note too. Rose and leather seem to be coupled like woods and amber or vanilla and lavender. The more I smell Cuir Amethyste, the more feminine it smells. It gets fruitier with age but stays with its main accords of violet and leather.

Sycomore (new) by Chanel

I smell s similar vetiver vibe like those from Mugler Cologne, Original Vetiver and Paul Smith Story. It's much closer to Paul Smith Story where it's dirtier, a little dry and kidna smokey. Other than it being a little more concentrated, Paul Smith Story is way cheaper but lacks the dry woodiness of Sycomore. So for the price, you're buying a simple woody vetiver scent.

Déclaration by Cartier

Cartier Declaration

Jean-Claude Ellena is my favorite perfumer and as a result I look forward to wearing almost everything he has created. One of the reasons that I enjoy his creations is, as with my favorite rock bands, the song may be different but the inherent style is always on display. In 1998 he created Declaration for Cartier and this is a beautiful scent full of Ellena trademarks. What makes this stand out is it has a little more of a modern edge to it than others of his creations. That modernity starts at the beginning as he chooses to combine classic bergamot with a bitter orange note to create a tartness which is then joined by the rich spiciness of cumin. This beginning is brilliant on my skin as the aromaticity of bergamot cut by the bitterness of the citrus along with the earthy spice of cumin offers different facets to enjoy. Cumin averse colognoisseurs should stay away from this as the cumin stage lasts for quite a while and is not subtle. The progression into the heart is led by another spice as cardamom uses its fresher feel to lead into a central core of green edgy woods dominated by wormwood and juniper. These woods are tighter spicier woods which keep this scent just a little on the green side of things. The base is a mix of the green of vetiver and the clean lines of cedar bringing Declaration home in a fresh burst. Declaration is a beautiful scent all on its own but it is also interesting because it contains themes that will return in scents that Ellena creates over the next few years. Another winner from Ellena for me.

Ungaro III by Ungaro

Ungaro III

Sometimes I just want a scent that does the simple things well. Sometimes I don't want to have to work to figure out what is in each phase because the notes that are being used are obvious. Sometimes I like to see when a perfumer has embellished earlier themes. Ungaro III is one of those scents for me it was co-created, in 1993, by Francois Demachy and Jacques Polge. It is a fairly common progression of citrus, patchouli/vetiver, wood. It feels like a thematic brother to Polge's 1989 creation Tiffany for Men. From the top it is a classic mix of orange and lemon, it is bright and fresh and everything a colognoisseur has come to expect from a citrus-forward opening. The heart is patchouli, at first, soon joined by the edginiess of vetiver. Once again no new ground broken here but balanced nicely and adding some depth to the citrus beginning. In the base sndalwood adds smoothness and creaminess to the proceedings, making for a traditional closing argument. Ungaro III is a classic masculine scent, made in a classic masculine style. Sometimes that is all one needs to head out into the world.

Armani Privé Cuir Améthyste by Giorgio Armani

Armani Prive' Cuir Amethyste

The Armani Prive line was an attempt by Armani to create their version of a niche line. The first two that I have tried of the Prives, Bois D'Encens and Vetiver Babylone have suceeded to my nose in achieving this goal. They were interesting if not terribly original scents which felt more niche than mainstream to me. I looked forward to trying Cuir Amethyste the 2006 release by Michel Almairac who did Bois D'Encens. This was billed as a violet and leather scent and it definitely lives up to it. Right from the top I get a beautiful full-on astringent violet and it is strong on me. If you do not like violet this will be too strong for you. I am a great lover of violet and so it is fine to my nose. A mix of patchouli and birch come into play as this progresses and it makes for a well-balanced and interesting heart. The base is where the leather comes in and this is a soft suede accord which is perfect to finish off the floral beginning. I have seen Cuir Amethyste compared to Serge Lutens Daim Blond and on my skin I don't agree. The violet comes off less sweet and more floral than the apricots in the beginning of Daim Blond. The final notes of suede are probably pretty close but the trip to that final accord is very different. Again I feel that Cuir Amethyste is a not terribly creative well-executed scent and if you like violet and leather it is worth a try.

Sweet Lime and Cedar by Jo Malone

Jo Malone Sweet Lime and Cedar

Truth in Advertising is a concept we believe in and one thing I can say for the Jo Malone scents I have worn, the notes that are on the label are the notes that are prominent. No Le Labo bait and switch here. This 2008 release combines two of my favorite notes and executes a typical Jo Malone style beautifully. The top is the fresh blast of lime full of tart energy. The sweet is provided by a mix of jasmine and ylang ylang. The floral character is there to add a little contrast to the tartness of the lime but not to be an equal partner. Therefore the top comes off very much as a full-on citrus. The transition to the titular partner of cedar goes through a layer of spices that are light and fresh. The most prominent of which is cardamom. This is a quick transition and it gets you right to the very clean lines that cedar affords a scent and here the cedar just lasts and lasts on me leaving me with the epitome of a fresh and clean feeling. Sweet Lime and Cedar is one of my favorites of the Jo Malone line and it wears better on me than the flagship Lime, Basil and Mandarin, while sharing some of the same thoughts in composition. Its nice when you get what you asked for.

Un Matin d'Orage by Annick Goutal

Annick Goutal Un Matin D'Orage

I grew up in South Florida and one of the scents that reminds me of my childhood is gardenia. In my neighborhood there were gardenias everywhere and the sweet, sharp scent of gardenia reminds me of humid days and sunshine. Un Matin D'Orage which means Stormy Morning is a 2009 release by Isabelle Doyen the longtime nose of Annick Goutal. She wanted to evoke a Japanese Garden after a storm. I'm not sure about the Japanese part but a garden after a storm she hits right on the nose. That evocation of a post-storm feel comes right at the top as there is an ozonic note redolent of the way the air smells after a particularly active thunderstorm has passed. It is paired with an aquatic accord and really does a nice job of starting this off on the right foot. As this garden begins to dry out in the sun the scents of the different flowers come back starting with gardenia. Mme. Doyen does a marvelous job of capturing the sweet of the gardenia but there is a green sharpness to gardenia that doesn't translate as well and this gardenia accord stays firmly on the sweet side of things. The other floral in the heart to balance this is magnolia which is less sweet and keeps the gardenia in check and from dominating the development of this one. Finally in the base a mixture of jasmine and champaca bring the sweet level down a notch and finish this with a sense of night falling as the aquatic notes creep back in. Un Matin D'Orage is a 100-proof floral which does one of the best jobs of evoking the garden after a rainstorm I've smelled, to date.

Oud 27 by Le Labo

Le Labo Oud 27

I've recently realized that Le Labo has been the House that has the highest percentage of scents I really like a lot. A lot of that has to do with the mix of styles that Le Labo puts out. The spectrum between the challenging mix of Patchouli 24 and the unique Rose 31 makes for a House that takes chances and at least for me has rarely fallen flat. Oud 27 is the 2009 release designed by Vincent Schaller and it falls closer to the Patchouli 24 side of things in the Le Labo universe. Oud is one of those notes that is not for everyone and Montale has made a cottage industry of putting out different versions of full-on Oud centered scents. Le Labo, I felt, was going to take a different tack and they do. From the top the Oud is there and it is strikingly bold. It is mixed with saffron and cedar. Oud is one of those notes that many liken to a medicine cabinet or more prosaically, urine. If you have tried an oud scent in the past and it does that on you then I expect the beginning of Oud 27 will be enough to send you screaming into the bathroom to scrub this off. I, on the other hand, love the smell of Oud I find it reminiscent of every bar I frequented in my misspent youth. It always smells to me like the mix of cheap booze, old cigarettes and yes maybe a little of the men's room in the back. I wouldn't call it a comfort scent but it is certainly a familiar scent and one I like. That all happens at the beginning but then its like walking out of that that olfactory bar and into a hazy summer night where somewhere a fire is burning. The scent slowly releases the Oud and uses an incredible mix of sweet amber, and a hint of rose. You can smell all of this while the cedar stays in place. The base of this is a nice rough leather which still retains hints of all that came before. Sort of like if I wore a leather jacket to my imaginary bar and was picking it up the next morning. I'd predominantly smell the leather but I'd catch whiffs of everything else, too. Oud 27 is a challenging scent and I can't recommend it for everybody. If you are a fan of Patchouli 24 I think there is a good chance you'll like this one. I know I do.

Goldaline's avatar
    Goldaline

Matthew Williamson - The Collection: Lotus by Matthew Williamson

Matthew Williamson is an exciting and innovative British clothes designer, favoured by actresses like Sienna Miller. His clothes are vibrant and colourful. Lotus is one of four fragrances - the other three being Warm Sand, Jasmine Sambac, and Incense - which make up his signature scent, called Matthew Williamson, launched in 2005. Each of these four scents can be worn alone, or in combination with one or more of the others.

While I do not particularly like the Matthew Williamson signature scent, I do love the Lotus scent. Like his clothes, it is vibrant and exciting. It reminds me a lot of Marc Jacobs, which is strange because Marc Jacobs is gardenia based, and Lotus is lotus based. But other people have asked me if I am wearing Marc Jacobs when I wear Lotus, so the similarity must hold for other people, too.

The bottle is also delightful.

Leesee's avatar
    Leesee

No. 46 by Chanel

My sample of this is too small to allow me to describe it adequately, but I can say this: No. 46 is clearly a "Chanel" scent. It has some of the warm fullness of No. 5, some of the duskiness of No. 22, a fruity quality that I associate with Bois des Isles, and it held fast to my wrists for about three hours before fading to a quiet murmur. Would I buy a full size bottle of this scent if such a thing were possible? Probably not -- I am much more enamored of other Chanel offerings that actually are in production. But I still enjoyed being able to experience it, however fleetingly.

Ericks's avatar
    Ericks
    Switzerland Switzerland

La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I'm a fan of YSL's L'Homme so it was obvious that I'd gave this one a try. At first I didn't like it. The opening note resembles L'Homme but it's even more spicy. Soon it becomes rather strong on the vanilla. My girlfriend adores it so what the heck, I bought the 60 ml bottle. It's great in the evening or on cool/cold days. It certainly lasts longer than L'Homme but still not more than about 4 hours (unless you spray lavishly but which makes it too sweet). It's OK but L'Homme is still my favorite.

AnimaSola's avatar
    AnimaSola

Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

I had never smelled Jazz until recently. Definitely my loss. I bought it on the spot. It is a splendid example of masculine elegance. I agree with "mrclmind" that this is a fragrance that mesmerizes in the dry down. The sandalwood and leather stand out, but they are mitigated by the other lovely notes surrounding them. Yes, this is YSL's most wonderful creation, ever. That is saying a lot. Two enthusiastic thumbs up.

Theasylph's avatar
    Theasylph

L by Lolita Lempicka

A little spicey sugary and sweet and fruity. Suprising. I thought this would be some sort of Pink-Sugar-Like candy fest but this reminds me so much more of Nag Champa incense. If you burned Nag Champa incense inside of Victorias Secret it would smell exactly like this. I like it. Time will tell if it will eat away at my wallet but I'm kinda doubting it. hmmmm...

Tulippa's avatar
    Tulippa

Lalique (new) by Lalique

It is not so good, It is not so bad. I think is neutral fragrance.

xmen's avatar
    xmen
    Singapore Singapore

Body Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

I adore it. From the same creator of Hypnotic Poison, Bulgari Black, Jaipur Homme and Lolita Lempicka, Annick Menardo's take on a Kouros flanker shares something in common with her earlier creations. It's the sweet smell of success. I can detect the unmistakable hint of the original Kouros in the background while Annick masterly orchestrated a heady mix of gourmand and wood for the most successful Kouros flanker in my opinion.

sjohnjay's avatar
    sjohnjay

Joop! Go Electric Heat by Joop!

I purchased this today at TJMAXX for $20. I have nothing too insightful to add to this page that SirSlarty hasn't summarized exquisitely (except my amazement at how good a bargain JOOP product can actually be). I sprayed it on my wrist before purchase and fell in love. When I returned home, I checked its reviews on this site, and was even more amazed to find its release date was 2009. Electric heat smells like 'candy', and may be just as fitting for a female as it is fitting for a male. It's debatable whether it's a great scent for a 33 y/o man (myself), yet I do not care because I love the way I smell with this on my skin. Juvenile and tacky (graphics on bottle are a full-on embarrassment) although the scent on my skin (and pricetag) make this totally worthwhile.

Dany1985's avatar
    Dany1985

Weekend for Men by Burberry

Yukk! smells like 12X lemon tart at first..after a while it sorta stinks. By far the worst citrus scent EVER!!!

Stay away....

Bo Darville's avatar
    Bo Darville

S-ex by S-Perfume

I would rather smell this fragrance on a woman and not on myself. For me, it is more than a little too feminine from top to bottom. I even had TPC send me another sample just to make sure I had the correct fragrance - I did. I'm normally not ultra-sensitive about such things, but as I wore this out in public I couldn't help but think, "EVERYONE THINKS I'M WEARING PERFUME!!" Insecure much?

On the positive side, it really doesn't smell "bad," but it does undoubtedly smell cheap and synthetic. I don't know, maybe my nose isn't evolved enough to enjoy or appreciate this. I can't even pick out most of the notes; all I can perceive is a general impression of soft suede/leather mixed with a gargantuan dose of pleasant, albeit headache-inducing chemicals. FWIW, it is verrrrrry long-lasting.

As I implied, I believe this could be very s-exy on the right female, though there is a drugstore or designer scent that smells very much like this - laugh all you want, is it White Shoulders...? I have frequently caught a whiff of it on average women shopping in Wal-Mart, malls, etc. I'm certain that literally none of them would ever pay a premium for S-ex (pun intended).

I could imagine Beverly d'Angelo wearing something like this.

Edit 6 January 2010

Eh, I really don't like this - there's no basis for a neutral rating. I also now know that it is, contrary to my previous assertion, equally nauseating and un-sexy on a woman as it is on myself. Horrible.

18 April, 2009 (Last Edited: 17 July, 2010)

= z ='s avatar
    = z =

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

I had read that Lovely was a possible unisex fragrance. Tried it. They were right. My initial reaction was that it smells like one of my old 80's men's colognes, but I can't quite recall which. I could give this another chance, but there are so many others out there to try.

lolly's avatar
    lolly

Amazone (new) by Hermès

fine and sweet, sometimes too sweet, very feminine

No. 19 by Chanel

The best that I can say about No. 19 is that I appreciate it. I'm glad to have smelled it, for reference. I even tried to love it, like so many other people. But, I can't love it or wear it. The resin and powder are overpowering on me. But it helped me understand what green means.

Shalimar Eau Légère Parfumée by Guerlain

I love the old Shalimar on my Mom, it was the first perfume I ever remember. Shalimar Eau Légère is just beautiful. I can't get enough. It is my all time favorite!

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

Bug spray at first, but wait! It goes away. After a few minutes it is VERY nice, the top and middle notes are so great, but the dry down was really strong on me. As the description tells you, the dry down includes patchuli, cedar, woods. For me, it was just a little too harsh, and it doesn't smell anything like the top and middle, it's almost like two different perfumes. I like to wear it, but I have to scrub toward then end. I agree that it lasts a good while, even until the next day.

KimChi's avatar
    KimChi

Eau de Sisley 3 by Sisley

citrus, bergamot, mandarin, grapefruit, lemon, red ginger, osmanthus, patchouli, vetiver, benzoin, vanilla and musk are listed as the notes

This one is wonderful. It starts out very citrusy and turns into this wonderful slightly spicy, warm fragrance, but not cold weather warm. Something good for Spring or Summer. It is really delicious. A sales associate suggested it to me, and gave me a sample a few days ago. The sample is gone. I really want a bottle of this one.

19 April, 2009